The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

My Sedna Blood-Pounce Build Re-Thought

By on February 15, 2011 5:27:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dlarimit

Join Date 10/2010
+20

Well, I think it requires a separate article from my previous lengthy Sed+QoT write-up. The changes are quite significant this time. Basically, three factors have influenced my decision to change the build: (1) accumulating some 2v2 experience; (2) seeing Nastyblade's MCP/Speed Sedna in action and analyzing his build; (3) Hedgie's remark in one of my threads concerning Pounce wasting its full potential, unless you max out IG or go Cloak-Pounce.

That's how I play Sedna now:

Favor: BotF

1. Heal 1
2. HW 1
3. IG 1
4. Pounce 1
5. HW 2
6. Pounce 2
7. Pounce 3
8. Silence 1 or Counter Healing (depending on number of enemy generals and their healer idols rank)
9. Heal 2 or Silence 1
10. Pounce 4
11. Heal 3 or Heal 2
12. IG 2 or Heal 3
13. IG 3 or IG 2
14. Silence 2 or IG 3
15. Silence 3 or Silence 2
16. MP 1 or Silence 3
17. MP 2 or MP 1
18. MP 3 or MP 2
19. Heal 4 or MP 3
20. Life's Child or Heal 4

Gear:
0. Monks
1. Banded
2. Boots of Speed
3. Unbreakables
4. Monks -> Bishops/High Priests/Clerics (depending on number of allied generals)
5. Nimoth Chest
6. Hauberk
7. Boots of Speed -> Vlemish
8. Banded -> J-Treads
9. Nimoth -> Girdle of Giants

Justification:
I've found empirically that having +15% speed at 6-10, when Pounce is at its strongest and can take off 20-25% of enemy DG's hp bar, is crucial while chasing or sneaking to get that final Pounce on a surprised ranged attacker. Boots of Speed also increase Sedna's survivability more than another armor and make monk-managing significanly more efficient (a passive bonus to minion movement speed). After 10, there is usually a short period where I run without BoS, since I need one helm to use Silence in mid-game battles. This period is usually very short for me. Later-mid game I sell Banded for J-Treads, and invest 2 additional skill points into IG. I've learnt the hard way J-Treads increase both Sed's survivability and efficiency later game much more than any non-artifact pure hp/armor item could. I don't get Siege Demolishers with Sed, unless swimming in gold, as I feel they have a somewhat poor synergy with her.

Replays of skilled matches where this build is demonstrated (hopefully, I'll get better examples, but that'll do for now):
http://www.jeeplays.com/replay/details/1/12
http://www.jeeplays.com/replay/details/1/13
http://www.jeeplays.com/replay/details/1/14
http://www.jeeplays.com/replay/details/1/20

Locked Post 9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 15, 2011 6:24:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've come around a little bit on ig1 early.  I've found that the more I've been playing sedna, the more I'm altering my builds based on what's going on.  Anyway, ig1 is great if you are expecting to chase a little bit.  Regen certainly doesn't hurt either.  I do find it pretty difficult to justify ig3, though. 

February 15, 2011 11:47:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, I just want to be as fast as possible during end-game. I've lost more than a few matches by having a super-tank Sed that was totally useless late game. So either you take Amulet of Teleportation, or stack speed somehow. The former is a great option later game, but being squishy early game in skilled matches is so bad I've dropped the idea. Most matches are over circa level 15 for Sedna, so I just maximize whatever is the top priority at that phase. I can think of no other skill that improves Sed's efficiency late game better than another +5% to movement speed. There are arguments in favor of Silence 2, but I'd rather reliably outrun some obnoxious Oaks trying to chain-lock our portals, thank you.

February 16, 2011 12:25:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If the plus 5% works for you, then cool... for me, I'm finding stepping into ig1 is decent enough to keep me close to most dgs (and running safely).  I found even in 1 game where I just got ig1 and boots of speed to chase down a fire tb... think i took ig2 that game for the same purpose.  Anyway, unless its really needed, I don't think I'll be venturing past ig1. 

February 16, 2011 12:48:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm not a dogmatic person. If I'll see 3 skill pts in IG is an overkill, I'll change the build again I'm not as set in my ways as some of the Ancient Ones So I see this build as a permanently evolving project.

Also, just to make sure I'm understood correctly: skill/gear progression is not always exactly the same for me. Of course, if I see I have no mana problems, but towers are hitting me badly, I'll take Nimoth first, etc.

February 24, 2011 3:29:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Silence should always be maxd whenever available it is sednas best ability. Just try it, you might not need to run away as much or chase someone who was able to sigil if u silence them for 5 seconds! A long silence also causes early sigils which is great for sedna because of her massive hp regen With heal and bishops u rarely ever need to sigil early unless heavily focused by a late game ub and u will outlast most group encounters and be able to kill that person who sigild early because u aren't getting away from a sedna unless they waste their two interupts.
February 24, 2011 4:48:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sedna has the benefit of being able to adapt and change skill builds mid-game, something very few other demigods can do without giving up a lot (going from a Pent Assassin Oak to a Spirit Oak at level 7? yeah, right. Going from Minion erebus to Bite Assassin Erebus, yah, right. Going from Tower Rook to Slam Rook, doable). You can switch from a tank to a speed or vice-versa, and IG is crucial in some matchups (Sedna mirrors). 

Identifying when to switch skill builds or choose your favor late is a good thing, so continue to experiment. But you're gonna be yelled at for not having Silence.  

February 25, 2011 6:20:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have already addressed this issue enough. Pounce 4 + Silence 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pounce 1 + Silence 3, in my experience. In every game I've played with Hedgie's build, I got yelled at for having a weak-ass burst damage, that's for sure. Never for having a short Silence (3 s is not short, objectively) or a weak Heal. Taking Silence at 6 or taking Silence at 8 doesn't matter much. It's not that I postpone it till 15 or something. I'll miss more kill opportunities, if I don't take Pounce 2 and 3 at 6-7.

However, I totally agree with Hedgie Sedna is very flexible, and there are numerous viable builds/playstyles with her. I don't think leveling up Silence 2-3 is essential or even high-priority, but it can work extremely well for you, I do not doubt it.

February 25, 2011 6:51:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Pounce 4 + Silence 1 requires 5 skill points, all of which compete with other skills at/before 10. 

Pounce 1 + Silence 3 requires 4 skill points, only of which 3 compete with other skills at/before 10. 

If you have Pounce 4 at level 10, you probably don't have Heal III which means you or your allies are taking WAY more damage than they should (assuming you're fighting UB/Queen/Erebus/Oak/Reg). 

June 2, 2011 8:12:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

my sedna is not ubergood, but what i've found working for me the best is maxxing out heal and wind early. I get pounce1 late..like lvl10! For the interrupt. I find her quite unkillable with stacked health and regen and crlerics... I have played many games and stand on a flag at level 10 vs ereb or UB or oak just autoattack and heals and slowly watch thier health etch away while sed is as fat as a cat. the total heal build with silence is sooooooo handy for flag control. I just stand on it and wait wait wait.

Plus with flag and portal locking there's nothing like a silence to give u the time to pop on a lock and stroll away at your leisure. Sedna is a bitch.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time: