The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The natives may not be friendly

By on February 9, 2011 5:52:37 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Jeff Vogel has a great blog about how creators should never read their forums. It’s definitely worth a read.

Now, as you guys know, I do read our forums. A lot.  Why? Because I’m dumb. As in, dangerously dumb. I have to consciously remember not to swallow my tongue dumb.

But there’s probably a bit of karmic retribution in there too. I got into making games because I was one of those nerd ragers on Usenet back in the day. Greedy bastardly idiotic game developers who put out games before they’re finished. I’ll show them how it’s done. Only a total moron can’t see when their game isn’t ready for prime time. Cough.

Truth be told though, the Stardock communities are pretty different than most. I hang out on a lot of Internet communities and I think I can safely say that our forums are pretty good. Good enough to the point that someone joining them would likely notice the difference pretty quickly.

We have some advantages there in terms of the type of products we make. No MMORPGs, no FPS’s helps. We have a different demographic. We also rarely but definitely kick out chronic nerd ragers. You can find them on other forums screaming a fit about how they were kicked off because we couldn’t handle a little constructive criticism. Constructive criticism being “You asshats should be disemboweled for your idiocy!”  Everyone knows that it’s ass hat. Not asshat. So of course they got kicked off.

Jeff Vogel is right in what he says. If you read forums, you’ll inevitably get aggravated and say something you shouldn’t.  And nowadays, with game journalism reduced to combing “the nets” for something spicy to get page views, saying things when you’re aggravated carries a lot of risk.

But the question that inevitably comes up over and over is this: Why are we here in the first place? The money? Making niche PC games is not the fast track to money. “It barely pays for my jet fuel™”.  No, the reason, at least for me, is to hang out and talk with other gamers about this stuff.  Not to get all mushy but we’re here because we love you guys. In a manly way that is. Of course. So don’t expect us to disappear any time soon.

Not that’ll stop me from saying horribly inappropriate things from time to time. You bloody basement dwelling troglites. And yes, I’ll be over on Friday to debate the nature of the dark side of the force following the next Clone Wars episode.

+912 Karma | 63 Replies
February 9, 2011 6:03:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can always tell a difference here and enjoy reading your posts and responding back.  There are some forums I dont even go near because they are insane!  I love the way you guys are stand up and admit when goof, that shows character in my book!  Keep it up as you have one happy customer here for a long time!

February 9, 2011 6:30:29 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ur doing it wrong.  U spell it Trogladyte.  Just sayin.

February 9, 2011 6:31:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Did you find that from me posting it a few weeks ago? Or do you actively follow Spiderweb Software?

Either way, glad that you're sticking around.

February 9, 2011 6:46:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm the most loved forum poster, right?  Right? RIGHT!  I'LL FUCKING CUT MYSELF IF YOU DON'T SAY YOU LOVE ME, BRAD!

p.s. I really shouldn't make that kind of joke...considering I work in mental health.  But I'm a bastard.

I'm far more active here than most forums and my personality really shines here...I'm sure everyone is glad about that.

EDIT: I call people basement dwelling troglodytes all the time.  It's my favorite nerd insult!

February 9, 2011 7:13:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

i want some info about the expansion or i hurt lord xia

February 9, 2011 7:26:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The Dark side is Bad....

What?!??!

Im just saying....it is.

February 9, 2011 7:48:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Stardock is made up of some of the thickest-skinned guys and gals around.  We let you have it sometimes, but you keep your cool 99% of the time.  That is truly commendable.  You're tops in my book.  The written word is easily misinterpreted without knowing the body language and true intent of the writer so I'm glad you guys keep smiling through it all as if we had written our posts as your best friend on a sunny day at Disneyland.  Now get back to work on fixing this monstrosity you fargin iceholes.

February 9, 2011 7:55:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice article, I agree with point 2 especially.

February 9, 2011 8:05:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"Everyone knows that it’s ass hat. Not asshat. So of course they got kicked off."

Amen! 

February 9, 2011 8:05:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Both "ass hat" or "asshat" can be correct, the differentiation is in how tightly it's wedged.

You're welcome for the visual

February 9, 2011 8:20:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
I'm the most loved forum poster, right?  Right? RIGHT!  I'LL FUCKING CUT MYSELF IF YOU DON'T SAY YOU LOVE ME, BRAD!

p.s. I really shouldn't make that kind of joke...considering I work in mental health.  But I'm a bastard.

I'm far more active here than most forums and my personality really shines here...I'm sure everyone is glad about that.

EDIT: I call people basement dwelling troglodytes all the time.  It's my favorite nerd insult!

I'm sorry Xia... Brad doesn't love you...

But I do!

Jon

February 9, 2011 8:24:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow, getting Lord Xia obsessed with you is a pretty dangerous thing. Like stabbing a bear with a pocket knife. 

February 9, 2011 8:36:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Screw Brad!  I love Jon now! Oh, and Toby too.

February 9, 2011 8:37:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually, this is probably the most civil -public- game forum I've ever been to.  Only one I still visit.  And, Brad, your postings have a lot to do with that.

February 9, 2011 8:37:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jon Shafer,
I'm sorry Xia... Brad doesn't love you...

But I do!

Jon

I'm actually very curious what you think about the matter discussed by the OP.

Granted Brad also had a good share of just how bad it can get when you try to read forums following a game release that for some reason didn't please everyone but your experience must be quite unique.

You are probably not going to be able to respond, or even want to, just saying i'm curious that's all. 

February 9, 2011 9:10:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Now, as you guys know, I do read our forums. A lot. Why? Because I’m dumb. As in, dangerously dumb. I have to consciously remember not to swallow my tongue dumb.

or maybe... just maybe... your ego can take some criticism from your fans.  I'm still here on the demigod scene because of your efforts and transparency with what was doing on with demigod.  I've had my bitchy moments here and there, but you guys have done your best to help out the community and improve the game.  And I thank you for that and posts like these.  Keep being unique in the world of pc gaming, etc. 

edit - also, consider things like star wars episode 1-3.  George Lucas had complete creative control and he ending up making some pretty mediocre films (if you ever want to hear some really good, in depth analysis on what went horribly wrong, check this out and you'll start agreeing... http://www.redlettermedia.com/).  Anyway, the point is, he was generally isolated from anyone but yes men that considered him the greatest thing ever.  If he had received some feedback (like he did in the original 3 movies), things would have been VERY different.  Anyway, keep up the good work!

February 9, 2011 9:41:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,
Wow, getting Lord Xia obsessed with you is a pretty dangerous thing. Like stabbing a bear with a pocket knife. 

I tried to get Brad, Toby, and Kael to friend me on Facebook, but they were too smart for that...how did they know that was step 1, and step 2 would be me standing outside their window holding up a boombox, proclaiming my love by blasting "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel!?  Now I have to come up with a plan B...

February 9, 2011 9:59:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,

Quoting seanw3,
reply 12

I tried to get Brad, Toby, and Kael to friend me on Facebook, but they were too smart for that...how did they know that was step 1, and step 2 would be me standing outside their window holding up a boombox, proclaiming my love by blasting "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel!?  Now I have to come up with a plan B...

Peter Gabriel? I woulda bet money on Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up."

February 9, 2011 10:34:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,

Hmm, do you work in an inpatient adolescent unit?  =D

February 9, 2011 11:08:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Mhantra,

Quoting Lord Xia,
reply 4

Hmm, do you work in an inpatient adolescent unit?  =D

I work in a state hospital for the mentally ill, inpatient adults.  I use to work on a ward for hard to place male patients with a history of violence and sexual inappropriateness.  Now I sit behind a desk and get fat, but it's nice to not get punched in the face, stabbed, or bitten on a regular basis.  But I do miss my guys at times...

February 10, 2011 1:06:49 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Jeff Vogel has a great blog about how creators should never read their forums. It’s definitely worth a read.
Now, as you guys know, I do read our forums. A lot.  Why? Because I’m dumb. As in, dangerously dumb. I have to consciously remember not to swallow my tongue dumb.

Some would say you are daft... but then again they said you'd be daft to build a castle in the swamp!

Personally I like the occasional outburst of personality and unfiltered opinion. Makes you seem like a real person, and is one of the things that make this forum exciting. It's better than just hiding behind a wall of austerity like most, and worse if they never even go near the fans. It's understandable, on some certain level... but honestly hasn't any originator already gone through life being snubbed and underestimated? Who cares what 10,000,000 anonymous uninformed people think, governments learned long ago that public opinion is just a tool that can be swayed one way or another. I like hearing what your opinions are and feedback to fans, even if it's a little rough at the edges at times. Makes me feel better about some of my own posting excursions, usually after a long night of drinking ... In my basement in front of the PC.

February 10, 2011 1:53:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Everyone knows that it’s ass hat. Not asshat.
Actually, "asshat" is a very common spelling. The more common one, in fact. I think you're just being old fashioned about this.

February 10, 2011 2:03:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,

I work in a state hospital for the mentally ill, inpatient adults.  I use to work on a ward for hard to place male patients with a history of violence and sexual inappropriateness.  Now I sit behind a desk and get fat, but it's nice to not get punched in the face, stabbed, or bitten on a regular basis.  But I do miss my guys at times...

Ahh, yes, nice to not get punched in the face, kicked, or have to hold down your favorite patient while s/he's getting strapped down for the infamous "booty dart."

Guess I am sitting one my ass getting fat too.  Funny, the higher up the chain we go, the less direct time with the patients.

February 10, 2011 2:57:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Awww...I was hoping this was a thread about Fallen Enchantress' ramped up hostile environment. More savage Elementals reeking havok on your frontier towns, pillaging and destroying all in their wake. Fire elementals burning down farms! Water Elementals sinking fishing vessels! Earth Elementals collapsing mines!  Muhhaaaa!

Anyway, these forums are cool and I agree with the assertion that Brad comes off as human rather then a cold, uncaring suit that we never hear about. The same goes for Derek, Toby, Jon, etc. (Please don't get mad Lord Xia. ) It's a breath of fresh air.

February 10, 2011 3:20:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Have to respect you for reading the forums. I'm sure i'll do the same when i'm finally in the industry.

The fact of the matter is that the forum provides you with feedback from the people that either hated your game to the point where they had to tell you about it, or loved it to the point where they wanted to join your community, and for the most part the information you can gain from that is invaluable. Even the haters have to hate for a reason right?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000875   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.