The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Hey Brad - Demigod patch question

By on January 21, 2011 12:46:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Some time ago I opened a thread about the future of demigod and provided some suggestions on things we'd like to do as a community to improve the game.  I've intentionally drug my feet a bit on that as our small modding community busted their butts to produce some stable, well tested mods (the details are here:  https://forums.demigodthegame.com/400748)

I'm still intending to open up a thread in the near future to ask you to have someone at GPG review.  I'm reasonably confident that 2 of the 3 mods are ready for official inclusion in the game and add a substantial amount of fixes and content.  All of that said, I have a question:

Is it within Stardock's ability (legally, etc) to issue an update to demigod that does not modify the source code, but simply adds 2 of the 3 mods to the impulse downloadable package and force an update (less than 5 megs for both mods)?  This would actually be a huge boost to everyone in the community as it would make the AI much more challenging and competent and provide a substantial amount of fixes.  Ideally, I'd want these mods to be enabled by default, but even if that's not possible, simply having them in the mod folder directly would enable EVERYONE to host games using the mods and give everyone the benefit of using them.  Anyway, I don't understand all of the ins and outs of development/publishing of course, but if its within your rights as the publisher to do this, I think it would be huge for the community - and I've very confident it would improve the experience of anyone that buys the game in the future.  Thanks for taking a look when you have the time!

Edit - I think its pretty clear that SD supports the Demigod community based on contributing to tournaments via prize money, sales to drive new folks in, Brad himself playing the game to gain experience (this resulted in the implementation of the stat overlay), and so on. I only ask as I know Stardock has been a huge supporter of the Demigod community. 

+161 Karma | 9 Replies
January 21, 2011 12:46:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

NT

January 21, 2011 11:16:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

+1 from another fan

January 22, 2011 5:26:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Having just recently installed the mods you refer to pacov, i could not agree more that the playing experiance would be far better and the community would benefit also.

With the Ai as it is as default, a new player is literally thrown into the deep end when they attempt an MP game, which results in the dreaded "noob" label and results in a trend toward a more negative community.  (as has been seen) If a new player was playing the AI mod first before attempting MP, they would be far more likely to pick up the nuances of MP play and push past the "noob" stage far quicker, a win for the whole community.

+1 for your idea!

January 23, 2011 3:32:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just installed the Uberfix and AI mods.  (Neilo had mentioned them at the Tyranny.)  Thanks for that Neilo.   

Before the AI mod, i noticed that the AI demigods, even on nightmare, would sometimes just stand there like they didn't know what to do.  Now, they seem to have a purpose.  

+1 karma to both Pacov and Neilo

January 23, 2011 4:12:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Glad you appreciate the difference on the AI mod.  All credit to that goes primarily to peppe for his hard work and the other modders throwing in assistance when he has questions or wanted some suggestions.  He did a HELL of a lot of work before the holidays kicked in (daily updates with tweaks) to get it where it is today. 

January 25, 2011 1:27:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just another bump - happy to wait many days between bumps, of course, but knowing whether or not updating the Demigod distribution through impulse is possible is a big deal to us die hard folks (eg not a true patch, just adding mods that are NOT enabled by default and forcing all users to download to play online).  So, hoping you saw this froggy and hoping you can comment.  All I really want to know is whether or not you guys could legally update demigod to include a few mods as a mandatory update (mods WON'T be required to be enabled).  I understand this is by no means a commitment to do so in some short period of time, of course.  But please understand that if it is possible or not is a big deal to us.  So, if you would comment, we'd appreciate it.  Thanks!

January 25, 2011 1:44:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't think he reads the Demigod forums over his weekend ( :

Espiecially since if he does reply, then he will have created a tiny pocket of hope that he may still care and then plenty of people will start posting and asking for him to reply RIGHT NOW 

January 25, 2011 3:00:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Espiecially since if he does reply, then he will have created a tiny pocket of hope that he may still care and then plenty of people will start posting and asking for him to reply RIGHT NOW

nah - i know stardock still cares.  Its a question of whether or not they can do anything.  If they can, I'm confident they will. 

January 25, 2011 1:06:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

+1 from another fan. Please Brad, have you an idea, you're our last hope* (*since 2009)

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000062   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.