The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Which DG to learn next?

(Or why being a skilled support player sucks in PUG games)

By on December 28, 2010 8:36:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dlarimit

Join Date 10/2010
+20

Well, I'm not talking about premade teams, obviously. In PUG games, the dynamics are: (1) for example, doggu hosts a game -- I join; (2) some experienced players join and begin bitching about the lack of balance; (3) a newbie/bad player joins, and is attached to me and doggu. Now, what happens is this: the newbie dies a couple of times > our main carry/dd player (be it doggu or someone else) begins to... ahem, criticize his skill most vehemently         > the newbie gets offended and ragequits > we heroically lose 2v3 even to weaker players, since they tend to go either the 'holy trinity' or any other UB-involving assassin-heavy combo.

Kinda goes without saying, but still... It is not about doggu specifically. I had the same experience with Quincrane, TSK-knockout, Dreamcatcher and even with Renz's super-UB (minus trash-talking, Renz is always a gentleman). After much thought invested into the matter, I believe it's not about me, either. Unless I'm trying out a favor item or a build, I usually don't die at all, assist whenever possible, micro the bastards and shield/heal on time. Plus, I buy 85% of the upgrades. So I believe I'm doing my job just fine (I don't get criticicized directly lately, but I do hear a lot of funny remarks like: "Probably if you were Sedna in this match..." when I'm QoT, and vice versa) . What I'm trying to say is: while the skill of support player matters a lot in the context of coordinated premade team, it usually won't change the course of events in 'casual' matches drastically, especially while already handicapped by having a weak player on a team. 

That's one of the reasons I'm studying Oculus now. My playstyle is obviously not suited for pure assassins (except for pure Ice TB, with whom I'm doing fine, but he's sadly only viable in certain matchups), and Occ is, well, a nuker general, he's universally solid and safe, so... Another option for me is Regulus, I think. He's the indirect support character, after all. Pacov advised me to study Rook next (that was a long time ago), but it turns out I suck with the turtle assassin almost as much as I suck with the pitbull assassins

Locked Post 39 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 30, 2010 4:03:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Let me guess why... So you can get MORE KILLS!!! Admit it, you just want to see the message: "brasher_01 is GODLIKE!!!"

Btw, I've seen Cow perform a triple kill on enemy team with Blast Off once. Now, that's what I call BAD-ASS...

December 30, 2010 4:21:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Filthy Rich I see it all the time but that doesn't count.

Trip kill butt jump that's cool.

Nah its probably more to run away. I feel like Oc's pathing is screwed more than others. Sometimes I feel like he just sits there after the jump or gets stuck turning his fat ass around so maybe some speed would help.

December 30, 2010 4:34:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I feel like Oc's pathing is screwed more than others.

That's true. Occ has most pathing and auto-targeting issues of all DGs.

December 30, 2010 10:50:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wish I could get into filthy rich games... strange that I still don't like that mode quite as much.  At least it opens up the possibilities quite a bit for different kits.  And you can't deny mcp is lovely on it. 

Anyway, in1, I think the reason I suggested a rook for you awhile back is that you seemed to like being a little further back in combat (eg always safe enough to get away).  If you play rook well, you generally are able to keep a safe distance and setup quite a few kills with a decent team - or ensure that you won't ever die by keeping a good tower farm up and running.  However, the tower/slam rook is more of a nuisance to the other team and generally doesn't get direct kills.  Anyway, I thought that might be a good fit for you based on the few games I'd played with you. But it also can be QUITE boring, even when you are doing it well. 

I wish I could get my replayer to work. I've never been able to watch a replay that was posted. I don't even know how other people play him. Have no clue where to download the file to. Maybe its a good thing idk how other people play him.

Your replays are located here:  C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\Documents\My Games\Gas Powered Games\Demigod\replays\brasher_01\

Paste the replays there.  As long as the replays are from the current version of dg, you can view them. 

December 31, 2010 2:33:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Anyway, in1, I think the reason I suggested a rook for you awhile back is that you seemed to like being a little further back in combat (eg always safe enough to get away). 

In other words, I'm just not manly enough! My playstyle had evolved a lot since our last game, obviously, but yes, that's still true -- and it's one of the reasons I enjoy playing QoT a bit more than Sedna (though I'm better with the latter). Maybe I should try Rook now... I failed (not miserably, but failed) with him a month or so ago, but perhaps now I'm ready.

December 31, 2010 11:33:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Your replays are located here: C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\Documents\My Games\Gas Powered Games\Demigod\replays\brasher_01\

Paste the replays there. As long as the replays are from the current version of dg, you can view them.

Cool. TY I was always looking for the replay folder in the bindata/mod sections.

Wish I could get into filthy rich games... strange that I still don't like that mode quite as much. At least it opens up the possibilities quite a bit for different kits. And you can't deny mcp is lovely on it.

That's what I like about it. In normal games you have that natural progression of items banded/scaled >unbreak>nimoth>or whatever, its usually the same for all DG's- varying slighty. Filthy rich you never know what you are going to be facing. They could start out as an allfather UB that doesnt die or a ash mage one thats guna kill you in no time. Skills transfer nicely from normal games but it's just a whole other game. So many possibilities I don't even know what to get half the time. Munch's and even kromt's settings are the best. Light death, high exp, low warscore so much fun. A good game is not even as much of a bloodbath as you would think. Half the time its just like a regular game a few kills here and there when someone gets caught. Exile is the map to play so everybody has artifacts. Cataract not so much fun because I rarely get beat to mid flag. I shop fast and tele out there with a good kit. If I dont capture right off I can easily hold off 2 of them till my team gets there. I usually just give it back after a few minutes so suckers won't leave. I actually died a few times last night on exile so that was fun. I'm glad there were more people playing it.

December 31, 2010 11:40:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Maybe I should try Rook now... I failed (not miserably, but failed) with him a month or so ago, but perhaps now I'm ready.

give it a go!  Mayhaps you'll enjoy it.

December 31, 2010 12:32:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Munch's and even kromt's settings are the best

Uh-oh... You should really try out Cambo (=THE HULK)

December 31, 2010 12:41:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG__IN1,
Munch's and even kromt's settings are the best

Uh-oh... You should really try out Cambo (=THE HULK)

I have. High Exp. High Gold. Fun game. The adjustable speed I still cringe at but I do enjoy some fast games also.

December 31, 2010 12:43:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have. High Exp. High Gold. Fun game. The adjustable speed I still cringe at but I do enjoy some fast games also.

heh... yeah the insane speed games are entertaining at least.  Not really my cup of tea, but pretty easy to win with the appropriate dg.

December 31, 2010 12:43:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Fun game.

Yes, especially that host DC 10 seconds before the citadel falls. This part is priceless Well, I know you don't care much about game being recorded as far as it's enjoyable.

December 31, 2010 12:53:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, especially that host DC 10 seconds before the citadel falls. This part is priceless Well, I know you don't care much about game being recorded as far as it's enjoyable.

That's half his charm, though. 

December 31, 2010 1:19:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OMG!!! Pacov is mid-bashing in a random assassin game ATM!

December 31, 2010 1:23:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Fun game.

Yeah, I couldn't care less about the DC before the cit drops. Now a host DCing mid game when its not totally decided and just hints at going bad for him that pisses me off.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000110   Page Render Time: