The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Elemental: v1.1 Walkthru

By on December 13, 2010 10:33:39 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1444

Welcome to Elemental:War of Magic, a fantasy strategy game for the PC!

Elemental is about you.

It turns out, you are a powerful Sorcerer. And the world needs you. Badly. About 160 years ago, there was a huge cataclysmic battle that nearly destroyed the world. It was so bad that it has been only in the past few years that people have become numerous enough to begin starting up settlements again.

So the world is in pretty bad shape. How much of it you want to take on is up to you. You can either begin your efforts in a place you already know or you can just randomly be transported to begin your epic saga. But the world isn’t a very pleasant place right now.

During the past century though, the wilds have become populated by bandits, monsters, and other nasties that you will have to fight off as you try to reclaim the world in the name of your Kingdom – or Empire.

Speaking of which, you will need to decide which group of people you want to lead.  It turns out that very few people actually are capable of using magic. A long time ago, a group of evil magic users decided that only they should be able to use magic and took all the world’s magic and stored them into a series of large crystals that themselves are really just pieces of an even larger crystal. These “shards” will become crucial to your future. In the meantime, these people are looking to you for leadership since you happen to be able to channel magic from these shards.

The world is populated by 10 different groups of people.

And I use the term “people” loosely here.

These people have loosely gravitated towards two ideologies.

One ideology believes in the rule of law and the importance of an orderly society. These are the Kingdoms. 5 different factions have chosen this ideology and all of them are the same race – men. However, if you ask them, they’ll scoff at this. They’ll say there are huge differences between Amarians and Ironeers. Whatever.

The other ideology believes that power comes from the individual. That the world has become savage and to survive and prosper, the strongest and most fittest must be allowed to rise up to their potential. These are the Empires. And unlike the Kingdoms which are all men, the Empires are much more diverse.

Each of the five factions of the Empires are a different race.

Now, not all these factions are equally capable. Some are challenging, some are “normal”, some are fools and some are doom givers. How you deal with this is up to you.

When you start out, you have nothing.

Nothing.

But you’re not alone. Well, okay, yes, you’re alone but you won’t be alone for long.

The world is still littered with the flotsam and jetsam of ruined civilizations which you can scavenge things from. In addition, there are some powerful people out there looking to join a cause greater than themselves.

The key, however, is making sure you find right locations for your settlements. The world isn’t in any shape to just build farms anywhere. Only tiny bits of land are arable.

Once you found your Kingdom (or Empire) you will want to set up a beacon, some sign to let people know that you’re open for business. Get people to start coming out of the wilds to begin living a civilized existence again (and for some, the first time).

As you venture out into the wilds, you will find that there are bits of civilization already out there. The occasional Inn or Hut may offer you a chance for some adventure. These are great ways to find much needed equipment, knowledge, and other relics.

Unfortunately, the wilds aren’t particularly safe.  Wandering alone (or letting your settlement go undefended) is dangerous.

For that reason, you’ll want to train some of your new citizens to defend the settlement and your territory in general.

As your new Empire (or Kingdom) expands, you’ll discover that you’re not the only one who has ambitions. Soon you will have to contend with them either peacefully or at the tip of a sword.

Your strategy for victory? That’s up to you. Magical Spell knowledge is one path. Mundane conquest is another. Or perhaps you may locate some ultimate magical weapon to dominate all beings in the world.  All I can say is that your adventure is just beginning.

Good luck!

Locked Post 72 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 14, 2010 11:54:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lantros,

What is the point of this thread? The game looks exactly the same as it did on release. What am I missing here????????

Sometimes you have to PLAY a game to "see" and feel,  what is all about and whats the differences between 1.1 and release version. Did you play the release version?  

There is a boatload of people (myself included), who haven't touched this game since release (with good reason). It would behoove the devs when creating threads on the 1.1 version to really accentuate the differences between it and the release version. I'm waiting for some major improvements before I fire it up again. Not trying to sound like a wise ass, I see alot of potential in this game. Not to mention I'm out 50$.

December 14, 2010 1:01:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There is a boatload of people (myself included), who haven't touched this game since release (with good reason). It would behoove the devs when creating threads on the 1.1 version to really accentuate the differences between it and the release version. I'm waiting for some major improvements before I fire it up again. Not trying to sound like a wise ass, I see alot of potential in this game. Not to mention I'm out 50$.

This thread could be interesting for you.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/400368

And If i sounded rude - sorry. I´m not a native english speaker and sometimes its really hard to find the right words. Only an explanation. No apologise.

What i think is. SD did a great job in the last weeks. And there is one point that stands out for me, beside open communication with community and daily patches (something i´ve never seen before). They managed to change the game in many ways and its still elemental: war of magic. I hope its understandable what i mean.

Wait for the demo in january. Thats the best way.

December 14, 2010 1:44:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Dual_CoRed,
What is the point of this thread? The game looks exactly the same as it did on release. What am I missing here????????

The purpose of this thread is to help people who are NEW to the game entirely have an understanding of the basics of the game. 

If you want to know what's in v1.1 over the previous version, you'll need to look at the change log.

December 14, 2010 3:32:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Quoting Dual_CoRed, reply 41What is the point of this thread? The game looks exactly the same as it did on release. What am I missing here????????
The purpose of this thread is to help people who are NEW to the game entirely have an understanding of the basics of the game. 

If you want to know what's in v1.1 over the previous version, you'll need to look at the change log.

I think his major point was (and if so I agree) this doesn't address the glaring differences one would notice in the game from looking at any available informational text.(the manual etc)

Sometimes learning by experience is the best thing.. but the huge amount of changes 1.1 has brought is sure to confuse some people if they are using any of the older informational text in order to try to learn.

Maybe make it a series of posts that slowly adds more info (if this was your plan all along we all look silly )and eventually it could be used as a template for a new PDF manual..

December 14, 2010 6:37:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting abomination5,
What does this have to do with 1.1? I haven't played the betas. The only thing I noticed is that shards now generate mana. Is that all 1.1 has to offer?
Umm... http://forums.elementalgame.com/402305

December 14, 2010 8:05:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

does the elgitarian ability even work, how do yoiu change it to female when creating a  unit, and also with 1.1 theres teh global mana pool thing thats a big thing, but 1.1 has tons and tons of changes that def improve the game more then what whoever asked in the first thread. but they still gotta work on the ai from what ive seen im still strolling threw with 2-3 units and stomping kingdoms out like cake walk, i would thinik that would be high on the priority whats the fun in a game when theres to challgenge and this is playing on ridiculous.

December 14, 2010 8:06:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

wow your people really need a manual to figure this game out , its all stated in tooltips what everthing does thats pretty sad no offense unless ur like 11 or something, i suppose that could make some sense, or maybe if ur metally "ill" or something

December 14, 2010 8:10:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Egalitarian works.  I agree with those who say that it shoudl be a 0 point cost.  next update I guess.

December 14, 2010 8:17:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Fistalis,

Maybe make it a series of posts that slowly adds more info (if this was your plan all along we all look silly )and eventually it could be used as a template for a new PDF manual..

I was wondering if it was going to be one of those "to be continued" posts as well because a "walkthru" is usually a guide that shows a full campaign or summary of a complete game. This just seems to be a walkthru of getting to turn 1 or 2. It's after that where people like me are getting a bit lost.

December 14, 2010 8:53:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Panda_Power,

This just seems to be a walkthru of getting to turn 1 or 2. It's after that where people like me are getting a bit lost.

Don't worry panda.. us beta testers will hold your hand and help you figure out the totally redesigned dynamics since we've had so much time to do so in between crashes

December 14, 2010 8:53:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting charon2112,
Brad could take a dump on a CD and I'd buy it.

well that sums up the definition of a fanboy very succinctly... LOL 

December 14, 2010 9:23:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Egalitarian works.  I agree with those who say that it shoudl be a 0 point cost.  next update I guess.

Just get rid of it and make it so you can design female and male people to fight. We need feminism in Elemental!

December 14, 2010 9:32:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting heyhellowhatsnew,

Just get rid of it and make it so you can design female and male people to fight. We need feminism in Elemental!

I agree - at a 0 point option, so effectively assume that everyone gets it so to peak.

Then for Aesthetic reasons, if someone wants a male-dominated or female-dominated army/society then they can have one, or a 25/75, or 50/50 one, etc.

So just make it a option for units 

(I already presume there is an even 50/50 for NPCs among other past balance sweeps?)

December 17, 2010 4:50:23 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Why does everyone want female soldiers? Isnt this a medieval world? Where is the realism in them having equal rights or women army? They fight hand to hand you know. Not with rifles where the gender is not important. But on a huge battlefield with melee weapons there is really no use for weak women.

December 17, 2010 5:28:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It doesn't have to be exactly like medieval times in every way.  And the combat is not particularly graphical.

Best regards,
Steven.

December 17, 2010 6:22:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting heyhellowhatsnew,

We need feminism in Elemental!
Sexism in the game? Yay!?

December 17, 2010 9:31:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
Btw. The manual was rewritten for 1.1 and is included with the update.
December 17, 2010 11:56:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Wha!

*Zoom! goes to look*

December 18, 2010 12:59:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Or - if folks aren't just being jerks - to help people that haven't played since launch see some changes in the interface, etc.  This video does show quite a few changes since launch. 

edit - i can handle missing some free dlc as needed, but I think you can count me back in at 1.2.  You fellas have been tearing things up.  It's not quite where I'd want a game to be that I'm going to play over and over again yet - but I can see it getting there.  And close enough to there at 1.2  Have a great Christmas and thanks for getting 1.1 out prior to that for all your fans!

I know the overhauls, etc, have been a pain, but I hope elemental becomes a game you'll enjoy playing as well for some time. 

December 18, 2010 6:51:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Yeah thats right. But i have to say, there are some thing that are not correct. Some examples...

Attributes: Each being in the game has their own set of attributes. These attributes are:
o Strength. Affects the amount of damage a weapon hit deals
o Dexterity. Affects how well you can avoid blows.
o Intelligence. Determines how powerful tactical spells the player can cast.
o Wisdom. Affects how powerful the strategic spells the player can cast.
o Charisma. Affects the cost of recruiting non-player characters.
o Constitution. Determines how many hit points your character has.

Wisdom? And charisma only for recruiting?

Spellbook: At the beginning of your sovereign’s journey you can give them access to several starter spell books:
o Terraforming. This includes basic spells for altering the environment.
o Enchantment. This includes basic spells for enhancing your units as well as your settlements.
o Evasion. This includes spells for moving about the map effectively as well as protecting your units from offensive damage.
o Combat. This includes basic spells for warfare.

Its not Evasion. The spellbook is called "mobility" ingame.

Profession: Did your character have a profession before the Cataclysm?
o Miner. Player starts with a metal mine spawned near them.
o Warrior. Player starts out with sword and plate male armor.
o Bard. Player starts out generating 1 diplomatic point per turn.
o Thief. Player receives gildar in addition to normal loot after a battle.
o Royalty. Player is able to build a Throne Room in their capital city.
o Warlord. Player starts out with two scouts.
o Merchant. Player gets a 25% discount from the store.
o Assassin. Sovereign always gets to attack first in battle.
o Adventurer. Sovereign gets an extra move.
o Dungeon Master. Sovereign does double damage to creatures.
o Administrator. Capital city has no maintenance costs.
o Enforcer. Does double damage to champions and other sovereigns.
o Lore Master. Arcane Labs only require half as many people to staff.

There are some profession i never read ingame. And the explanations are different compared to the explanations ingame.

Talents: Is your sovereign particularly clever? Here you can spend ability points to give your avatar special bonuses.
o Brilliant. Generates 1 tech knowledge per turn.
o Green Thumb. Produces 2 food per turn.
o Intimidating. Enemy Morale decreases 2 points per turn in combat.
o Hardy. Sovereign receives additional 10 hit points.
o Naturalist. Old Growth Forest is spawned near starting location.
o Daring. 5% chance that mundane attacks will ignore enemy armor.
o Wealthy. Generates 1 gildar per turn.
o Diplomatic. Trade items are valued at 10% more than they would normally be.
o Natural Leader. 2 points added to friendly morale each turn.
o Tracker. Sovereign gains an extra turn.
o Meditative. 1 arcane knowledge generated per turn.
o Mighty. All damage done by unit is increased by 10%.
o Prodigy. Odds of a technology becoming available increased by 25%.
o Inspiring. All cities gain +1 prestige.
o Mystical. Imbuing champions has no mana upkeep cost.
o Cunning. No combat penalty for fighting in foreign territory.

Same here. some talents i have never seen ingame...

Must be a little bit confusing for new players. Or did i miss something?

December 26, 2010 8:49:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

where do I report a "bug"?

December 26, 2010 9:14:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Mystical would be hilarious.

Prodigy reminds me of that old tech tree. I do hope uncommon/rare techs is implemented again only in a better way. I thought the core idea was very original and set the game apart from other 4x games.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000766   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.