The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Starcraft II Strategy websites?

By on December 6, 2010 4:49:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

mentalinstra

Join Date 07/2010
+3

Looking for some good, free SCII resources with build orders and general strategy. I use Liquipedia and youtube at the moment. Trying to get better with Zerg right now. Know a few good sites?

Locked Post 9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 6, 2010 5:17:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

its all on team liquid AFAIK.

December 6, 2010 5:31:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

GameReplays.org is where I used to hang out until August last year when I ran into a complete dick in the StarCraft II section. I just don't want to put up with such arrogant, elitist people so I just quit that place. I'm thinking of returning though but I feel flamewars to be a bit childish.

December 6, 2010 6:42:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

TeamLiquid.net's forum is the Starcraft II resource.  Just be sure to lurk for a while before making an account; the Mods don't suffer people clogging up their boards with "What build order should I use against Zerg?" style posts.  Apart from that, sites like http://www.sc2rep.com have all the replays you need.  If you're just getting started, I might suggest watching some of Day9's Video Casts; he plays through replays, discusses what was good and bad and helps you understand the general flow of the game.  An invaluable resource for beginners.  Apart from that, all I can suggest is practice practice practice!  Mind if I ask which League are you currently ranked in?

December 6, 2010 6:50:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've been ranked 3rd in bronze league for awhile now. Not a total newb but I'm only any good with Terran to be honest. Trying to get better with Zerg and Toss.

December 6, 2010 7:07:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yep, like ZehDon said, if you want to learn SC2 strategy, TeamLiquid.net is where to go. The other suggestions are spot on also, especially Day9's streams.

December 7, 2010 12:03:53 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

StarCraft Legacy has a strategy section in the forums.

This is a very old site with helpful people. SCLegacy carefully checked every rumor of a SC2 for years! While remaining a center of sanity, far as I was concerned, in all aspects of the original StarCraft. The other sites mentioned above may have lots more material but SCLegacy is still where I look for wisdom.

Or, just do this. Build some crap. Scout and see what crap the opponent is building. If his crap can't stop your crap, run over and beat on him. But be prepared for his crap to show up first and wreck your water sprinklers! For revenge send your crap over to mess on his carpet.

Change your build order even though it looks like you have better crap and the upper hand and you don't need to. This will rattle your opponent who will change his crap build order purely out of fear! Rinse and repeat until you either win or lose. Or the other player quits in disgust. If you win be condescending. If you lose, be a bad sport about it; otherwise people will think you're weird.

Next time, build other crap different from the crap you built the first time. Don't become predictable. If your crap turns out to be totally useless, it's not your fault! It's because the other player is a noob using trick build outs! And because the stupid developers screwed over your favorite faction in the last balance patch.

Play against the AI a lot. Gives you opportunity to sharpen your unpredictable on the fly changes of strategy and tactics! Watch lots of videos on youtube featuring Koreans because only Koreans truly understand this game. This is because of their genes. Notice how they always win even though nobody can understand why. This is the key.

December 7, 2010 12:08:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting mentalinstra,
I've been ranked 3rd in bronze league for awhile now. Not a total newb but I'm only any good with Terran to be honest. Trying to get better with Zerg and Toss.

Ah, well, my advice is first learn one race well and then move on to another race.  Trying to learn all of them at once in simply confusing.  I placed in the Silver League and worked my way into Gold before trying any race other than Protoss.  I'm currently ranked 10 Platinum, and am comfortable with all the races, though 'Toss is still my best.  I feel that learning one race at a time simply helps you focus on specific timings, tactics and overall strategies.

December 7, 2010 1:15:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ZehDon,

Quoting mentalinstra, reply 4I've been ranked 3rd in bronze league for awhile now. Not a total newb but I'm only any good with Terran to be honest. Trying to get better with Zerg and Toss.
Ah, well, my advice is first learn one race well and then move on to another race.  Trying to learn all of them at once in simply confusing.  I placed in the Silver League and worked my way into Gold before trying any race other than Protoss.  I'm currently ranked 10 Platinum, and am comfortable with all the races, though 'Toss is still my best.  I feel that learning one race at a time simply helps you focus on specific timings, tactics and overall strategies.

I'm definitely not trying to master all 3 races by any stretch of the imagination but I do want to have a better understanding of Zerg and Toss's basic build orders to help with scouting and countering as Terran. I don't care too much about the ranking system but would like to get bumped up to Silver at some point I suppose.

December 8, 2010 9:59:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you enjoy watching games played, you can also watch the streams on TeamLiquid (there's a listing of all live streams on the right hand side). Tournaments/casts appear under an event header, these are games that are played with an observer commentating, and the streams below are just people playing on their own. There are several good streams for each race, though obviously they're not all on all the time. You can learn a lot about each race by watching the games too.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000094   Page Render Time: