The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

totaly denied

By on November 28, 2010 5:09:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Irish1983

Join Date 05/2008

Logged on today for the first time to play multiplayer over the net and just kept getting kicked? I joined one and waited for it to fill up and when it had 6 players no explanation nothing just kept kicking me. I thought my game bugged and tried three times to rejoin and the only response I got was "lol" which basialy tipped me off I wasnt wanted.  Glad I bought the game...I played single player through 5 demigods in tournament, and I downloaded all the mods the were recommended in the forums.  Am I missing something, or is the online game just seriously filled with a@@ holes.

Encase you thinking I said something to get kicked the only thing I got to say was "hi".

Locked Post 15 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 28, 2010 5:32:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, there are some assholes online, no doubt. Like every online gaming community, we have our share of rude people. However, while the form in which they made you leave is totally unacceptable, you should understand it's a team game that relies on balance. One player having virtually no MP experience on the team will, in all seriousness, mean that team will lose.

The solution? For the moment, host your own games (preferably entitled "noobs") or just join "noobs only" sessions (that said, I wouldn't recommend joining such games hosted by Cambokill and Jojo-Effect, unless you like being farmed for stats, that is ). Gradually, you'll get more confident and more comfortable with the Demigod MP. Also, the players will start to recognize you, and if you are half-decent, they will accept you gladly. I started playing DG in October, and actually have no problem participating in "skilled players" etc. games now. Much to my surprise, some pro players are actually pming me to join their games if they see me online, even though I'm not that great. So in a nutshell, the formula of success is pretty simple: be a reliable teammate, don't rage-quit, don't trash-talk, don't try to play on the winning side exclusively (it's not always possible to balance teams perfectly), try to get better, and you'll be fine. People here will respect you.

There are some pro players that are really friendly to newcomers and usually don't mind coaching noobs/playing on weaker team: first and foremost, I'd mention Pacov (CheesusCrust), renz0kuken, rawrr (4nana), Darkliath, brasher_01. Feel free to pm me here or in-game if you need more information.

Don't get frustrated. A little bit of patience will pay off  

November 28, 2010 6:39:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The solution? For the moment, host your own games (preferably entitled "noobs") or just join "noobs only" sessions

Its probably the best solution for a bit while you are getting experience at MP.  The reason folks will kick generally is that a single new player on any team will result in that team losing.  As such, new players are generally not welcomed into more experienced player games - unless there is a new player on each team.  Its not much fun for folks to play a 45 minute game knowing that the outcome will very likely be watching the new guy die over and over, which results in the other team getting loaded up on gold, which results in the other team getting very good items because of their excess money from farming the new guy.  And this leads to the more experienced players on the new guy's team to not being able to keep up with the other team as they can't afford as good equipment, etc.  Perhaps that sounds overly negative, but the best solution is to just host your own new player games in the meantime.

And yeah, its lousy that someone would let you wait around until the lobby filled and then kick you without an explanation... a bit of a dick move. Not everyone in our community behaves that way. 

Don't get frustrated. A little bit of patience will pay off

November 28, 2010 11:46:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok I understand the "why" they did it. But im sorry im not new to strat games and im sure as hell not new to multiplayer coop games.  This game "is not" that complicated nor does it take anyone with half a brain to read skills and skill trees and look for compatible items/gear.  This is like LoL when some ass tells me im gotta kill the whole team because im not lvl 30, and i murder him....over and over and over. 

The only valid actual intelligent argument to stone walling everyone who hasnt been "ranked" or what ever the hell they think is important is if you have itmes from favor points like in the pantheon tournaments. favor points in multiplayer carrying over would give you an advantage.  Other than that...seriously?  And people are posting the game is dead?  thats why.  People who want to compete and are getting the 12 year old "omg noobs kick him" response. 

In all seriousness im not going to waste my time playing "noob only" games because that doesnt make you a better player.  Nor are there enough "noobs" from what i saw available to even play a full match.  Playing against more experienced players makes you better.  playing against people who dont know what they are doing simply lets you develope bad habits and maybe take the time to further research how certain mechanics work or effect game play.

November 29, 2010 1:29:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

While I acknowledge the validity of some points presented by you (such as noob-only games being actually counter-productive for getting better), you are cardinally wrong in your evaluation of overall difficulty/complexity of Demigod MP. LoL, HoN and original DotA are all very primitive in comparison to this game. It may look deceptively simple, true, but the learning curve is quite steep, and the difference between SP and MP here is radical. Trust me, it takes much more than common sense and decent strategical thinking to be able to keep up with the pro players here. You will see what I mean, eventually. 

Take my advice, please: don't get over-confident just because you are pro in LoL, HoN or any other action RTS. Being a karate champ doesn't make you a great boxer, after all. Join a few noob games to see how it goes. If you'll feel it is a total waste of time, pm me, I'll arrange a higher level match for you. 

Good luck!

November 29, 2010 11:34:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Irish1983,
Ok I understand the "why" they did it. But im sorry im not new to strat games and im sure as hell not new to multiplayer coop games.  This game "is not" that complicated nor does it take anyone with half a brain to read skills and skill trees and look for compatible items/gear.  This is like LoL when some ass tells me im gotta kill the whole team because im not lvl 30, and i murder him....over and over and over. 

The only valid actual intelligent argument to stone walling everyone who hasnt been "ranked" or what ever the hell they think is important is if you have itmes from favor points like in the pantheon tournaments. favor points in multiplayer carrying over would give you an advantage.  Other than that...seriously?  And people are posting the game is dead?  thats why.  People who want to compete and are getting the 12 year old "omg noobs kick him" response. 

In all seriousness im not going to waste my time playing "noob only" games because that doesnt make you a better player.  Nor are there enough "noobs" from what i saw available to even play a full match.  Playing against more experienced players makes you better.  playing against people who dont know what they are doing simply lets you develope bad habits and maybe take the time to further research how certain mechanics work or effect game play.

Host 1v1 games and gain experience. you will play against all kinds of people and after you have a decent number of games and a better then 30% win rate try to join some 2v2, 3v3 games or host a mid players game.

November 29, 2010 1:13:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The thing is I dint see any games like that to begin with.  I joined 1 2v2 "noobs only" and the host sat there and did nothing. The only other games runnning had the people who just kicked you.  Starting my own seemed rather pointless that day.

@ IN1 point taken, but I dont think I insinuated LoL was more or less complicated than Dm.  Once again to be honest the game has many nuances but its mechanics are not that complicated. You can learn finite things like if I have x with x gear a turret takes x to destroy. If they have x item and I have x health with no way of regen past passive I will die in x hits (crit gear aside).  Games with a good amount of complexity (like DM) have a "feeling" that only experience can give you, but its not that complictaed.  Players make games complicated.  I point to chess and Go.

November 29, 2010 7:13:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Finally got to play a games today and it was fun.  I made my own 2v2 and no one joined i dropped it after 29 minutes of waiting. This was after trying to join 4 other games and being kicked in everyone of them. Finally got invited to one and we won. The lag in the beginning was horrible but went away by mid game.

November 29, 2010 7:56:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Irish1983,
Finally got to play a games today and it was fun.  I made my own 2v2 and no one joined i dropped it after 29 minutes of waiting. This was after trying to join 4 other games and being kicked in everyone of them. Finally got invited to one and we won. The lag in the beginning was horrible but went away by mid game.

Glad you had fun when you finally got to play

Unfortunately, the lobby game can be decently long, however.. there are other times when it can go by rather quickly.  Often I'll join or host and then go take a piss.. briefly check the lobby, then have a smoke.. check the lobby.. and browse the internet while checking back frequently.  So while Demigod doesn't always favor straight playing.. it incorporates breaks in between game play to get other stuff done.

November 30, 2010 2:24:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Unfortunately, the lobby game can be decently long, however.. there are other times when it can go by rather quickly. Often I'll join or host and then go take a piss.. briefly check the lobby, then have a smoke.. check the lobby.. and browse the internet while checking back frequently. So while Demigod doesn't always favor straight playing.. it incorporates breaks in between game play to get other stuff done.

Yeah, the lobby game can be a pain in the @$$. I haven't played much in the past few weeks, but I agree with 4nana here, this game is worth sticking around in lobbies to play, but if you just sit there staring at clouds going by for 45 minutes to play a 25 minute game, you will quickly get pretty frustrated. Things I'll do while waiting in lobby;

Read a book

Surf the net

Do homework

Watch a movie, pause, play DG, back to movie, back to DG...

Play a single-player game on the laptop

Crank up the speakers to hear people joining and go make a snack

Etc. etc...

In other words, don't let the lobby game ruin the real game. Be productive.

November 30, 2010 4:28:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Crank up the speakers to hear people joining

Yes, that's a very valuable piece of advice, especially if there is a T1 player in the lobby. What happens is that most people join, see him on one of the teams, then either try to join the same side, or exit the game. Sometimes I was trying to get the game with either Renz or Kira on one of the teams for 20 min+. So it can be a long and frustrating venture, especially during EU daytime (most of T1s that could have balanced the situation are US/Canada, so, like vampires, they have a weird activity cycle ).

Surf the net

That's a bit more problematic. The game has a tendency to crash randomly when you alt-tab. It doesn't happen often, but each time you alt-tab there is a chance you will crash. However, I don't advocate staring at lobby design for up to half an hour, so yeah... Take the risk, I guess

November 30, 2010 6:20:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting IN1,
Crank up the speakers to hear people joining

Yes, that's a very valuable piece of advice, especially if there is a T1 player in the lobby. What happens is that most people join, see him on one of the teams, then either try to join the same side, or exit the game. Sometimes I was trying to get the game with either Renz or Kira on one of the teams for 20 min+. So it can be a long and frustrating venture, especially during EU daytime (most of T1s that could have balanced the situation are US/Canada, so, like vampires, they have a weird activity cycle ).

Surf the net

That's a bit more problematic. The game has a tendency to crash randomly when you alt-tab. It doesn't happen often, but each time you alt-tab there is a chance you will crash. However, I don't advocate staring at lobby design for up to half an hour, so yeah... Take the risk, I guess

Yeah, the crashing is an issue, mine does that too. The other little thing, and this may be fixed, someone who pays more attention can maybe say, but it used to be that when some people alt-tabbed out, they would lose the targeting range on their abilities. Not a huge deal, but for Snipe and Boulder roll and a few others, it can make a difference. So I got in the habit of not tabbing out of DG unless I had to.

December 2, 2010 2:09:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting BadDaddy8,

Unfortunately, the lobby game can be decently long, however.. there are other times when it can go by rather quickly. Often I'll join or host and then go take a piss.. briefly check the lobby, then have a smoke.. check the lobby.. and browse the internet while checking back frequently. So while Demigod doesn't always favor straight playing.. it incorporates breaks in between game play to get other stuff done.
Yeah, the lobby game can be a pain in the @$$. I haven't played much in the past few weeks, but I agree with 4nana here, this game is worth sticking around in lobbies to play, but if you just sit there staring at clouds going by for 45 minutes to play a 25 minute game, you will quickly get pretty frustrated. Things I'll do while waiting in lobby;

Read a book

Surf the net

Do homework

Watch a movie, pause, play DG, back to movie, back to DG...

Play a single-player game on the laptop

Crank up the speakers to hear people joining and go make a snack

Etc. etc...

In other words, don't let the lobby game ruin the real game. Be productive.

Wait am I the only person who sketches while waiting?

Quoting OMG_ZEX,

Host 1v1 games and gain experience. you will play against all kinds of people and after you have a decent number of games and a better then 30% win rate try to join some 2v2, 3v3 games or host a mid players game.
I hate you cow

December 2, 2010 10:23:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_blackmage,

Quoting BadDaddy8, reply 9

Quoting OMG_ZEX, reply 5
Host 1v1 games and gain experience. you will play against all kinds of people and after you have a decent number of games and a better then 30% win rate try to join some 2v2, 3v3 games or host a mid players game, unless your Synn

Fixed.

December 2, 2010 12:30:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_ZEX,

Quoting OMG_blackmage, reply 12
Quoting BadDaddy8, reply 9

Quoting OMG_ZEX, reply 5
Host 1v1 games and gain experience. you will play against all kinds of people and after you have a decent number of games and a better then 30% win rate try to join some 2v2, 3v3 games or host a mid players game, unless your Synn. 
Fixed.

The damage is already done.

December 2, 2010 4:02:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_blackmage,

The damage is already done.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000141   Page Render Time: