The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Does anyone actually play this game?

By on November 26, 2010 2:14:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

zubicvila

Join Date 12/2008

So, I am new to this game, I bought it today. So I was so excited to get started and when I went into game I tried ranked games where the game should find me a decent opponent. I wait for about 15 minutes for the game to find some players and then get stuck at the loading screen. I try costum games and get kicked from every one due to "lack of experience". I know I'm gonna get answers like "host your own newbie game" but whats the point when I have to wait forever to join a ranked game and if I'm awefully lucky even get to play. Please, tell me, is there anyone actually playing this game or is it a few groups of friends getting together sometimes to play a game or two? Thanks.

Locked Post 32 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 26, 2010 2:53:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Host your own newb games, yep (: 

The current amount of games can be found here: http://demigodthegame.com/opengames.asp

You can see the player trends here: http://dgstats.insidesupcom.de/

November 26, 2010 3:48:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Okay, let's say that's not exactly what happened.

True, I've told you (and my tone was very restrained after you've compromised your team by trying to heroically solo a hp flag holding Sedna w/ bishops, feeding me, and immediately ragequitting during previous game: http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/1570254/player/121483/) to get some experience first. That's exactly what I said. Your reply was: "I am very experienced". I tried to reason with you (note: didn't kick, didn't tell you: "LOLOLOL U NOOB GTFO!", etc.), after which you apparently got very angry and left the lobby with the cryptic exclamation: "Failboat!". Please note there were 5 games hosted at that moment, but for some reason you insisted on participating in game session with Kira, brasher and several other experienced and skilled players (I was the ultimate noob and by far the least skilled player there).

Moreover, to be perfectly honest, even if you were experienced, I wouldn't have played either with or vs. you, as I tend to dislike ragequitters. 

Noob-only and noob/mid games not good enough for you, I presume?

November 27, 2010 9:34:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Not true at all. As you know I left the game because of the constant lagspikes. I don't think playing noob games is a bad thing and I don't really care in what game I play as long as it is playable. I see know that 99% of games have lagspikes and people are telling me its a normal thing in this game. So, it is normal to pay 15 euros for a game that isn't playable due to lags, and that is being played in player hosted games. That's just lame. I know I'm gonna get comments "if you don't like it don't play it" but am I going to get my 15 euros back? It's a buggy unlplayable game and that is a fact whether you admit it or not and I just don't think its fair to keep on selling this game sa something that really works. That's about it.

November 27, 2010 10:27:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As I know? All I know is you quit immediately after I killed you. Not a minute before or after. This psychological phenomenon is commonly known as "ragequitting".

While the lag during that game was being felt, the game was far from being unplayable. Since it's p2p connection, the lag is equal for all (though certain DGs whose skills require precise timing suffer more than others in laggy game sessions). That said, probably only 10% of the games I played had any lag to speak of (as a rule of thumb, less than 400 ms ping is playable).

By the way, what's wrong with player hosted games? As I said, it's p2p, so there is no such thing as "laggy host with crappy connection".

This game is very much playable, and not buggy at all by modern standards (that's coming from the person who'd written ~20% of Dragon Age Wikia, so yeah, I know what a truly buggy game looks like). Personally, I think it's pretty obvious you are just making excuses as to why you suck at this game, mate  Sure, it has nothing to do with your, ahem, skill level, it's just that the game itself is buggy, laggy and unplayable. Give me a break.

November 27, 2010 11:38:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah sure mate, maybe its ok for you to play with lagspikes but not for me. I wish I could say I suck at this game but I even didn't have a chance to play it propers. So your ragequitting theory is just a nonse. I'm just saying devs should've made a playable game since this p2p was in 10 years ago. I understand you are frustrated since you put so much time in this "game" and it turns out to be shitty but don't blame me for not wanting to waste my time on it like you do

November 27, 2010 12:02:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, when I see a good game I don't mind "wasting my time" on it. I began playing Demigod a month and a half ago. In my opinion, it is one of the best (if not the best...) games I've played in recent years. Superb art design, intelligent deceptively simple mechanics, diverse characters, highly nuanced teamplay. What's not to like? It's not perfect, but definitely very very good.

November 27, 2010 12:06:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, I guess I cannot blame you, seems like you don't know for anything better. Well, enjoy your game then and I guess I'll have to continue my whining about how today anyone wants to make and sell games even though they don't know how to do it. Have fun

November 27, 2010 12:15:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, I guess I cannot blame you, seems like you don't know for anything better.

Oh, yes, you surely strike me as one hell of an expert 

November 27, 2010 12:54:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting zubicvila,
Not true at all. As you know I left the game because of the constant lagspikes. I don't think playing noob games is a bad thing and I don't really care in what game I play as long as it is playable. I see know that 99% of games have lagspikes and people are telling me its a normal thing in this game. So, it is normal to pay 15 euros for a game that isn't playable due to lags, and that is being played in player hosted games. That's just lame. I know I'm gonna get comments "if you don't like it don't play it" but am I going to get my 15 euros back? It's a buggy unlplayable game and that is a fact whether you admit it or not and I just don't think its fair to keep on selling this game sa something that really works. That's about it.

Learn to read imo.  This game has been out for almost 2 years.  There are countless reviews detailing the shit connection and all the launch issues.  Your 15 euros is a very small price to figure out that you should know what you're buying before you buy it.

Anyway, go back to fantasy land where it's impossible to play with slight lag.  Everyone else in the real world can play with slight lag.

November 27, 2010 1:47:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And I should add a friendly community too I guess fantasy land is the land where LoL, HoN, SC2 and WC3 exist. 4Nana, I would just like to quote myself "I know I'm gonna get comments "if you don't like it don't play it"". Yeah, it's all my fault I bought it. I'm just saying it's a ripoff. Enjoy your game people if you like it so much. Don't even pay attention to me if you like it so much. Relax

November 27, 2010 2:18:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Few things I want to point out. You haven't played it much (you just bought), so you don't know community. It is friendly if you know with who to play with, but you ragequitted, so gave a "nice" impression.  Also, in LoL, WC3 it's no better. There are ragequitters, spammers, rages, etc. everywhere.

Moreover, it's not as rip off, as LoL, HoN. It's most different from original DoTA (i hope yu played enough to see the difference?).

As for money issues, I think it is possible to get them back...

Lags? People understand lags differently. There are absolutely flawless games, however if game is not good enough, even flawless lags, won't help it to get some people attention. There are great games with slight to big lag (you can manage it to get slight by arranging players, etc), which are amazing. And yeah Demigod is a great game, this you cannot deny. Lag issues, etc, are a problem though.

Overall impression. You bought the game, tried few matches, got laggy games (well... you can call it a "luck"), and started saying how this game is bad. You think 99% games are laggy? have you played 100 or more games to be that accurate? I guess no. Have you played all matches possible - 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, to know how people, connections affect lag? - No.

So, thank you, for effort to "play" this game and wish you best luck in some other one

P. S. Be careful in judging games in future. First impression may not always be right (from my experience) and before buying, better know that the game is worth your money.

November 27, 2010 2:23:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

LoL and HoN are extremely primitive (though the art design is nice) DotA clones. DotA is... Well, DotA. With all due respect, being built on pure RTS engine, it's not completely adequate to the goal it tries to achieve. Demigod is by far the best of the action RPG/RTS genre as far as gameplay is considered. But it's useless to argue with you rationally, I guess... You'll just go once again into your pseudo-expert stance

Concerning the community being "friendly" to you: first of all, you should have been friendly to the community, sir. Comments I heard from you during your very first game online, and later, in the lobby with Kira and brasher, were rude and barbaric. Now you also dare to complain we fight back while being assaulted (with no provocation at all, I might add)?

November 27, 2010 2:29:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting zubicvila,
And I should add a friendly community too I guess fantasy land is the land where LoL, HoN, SC2 and WC3 exist. 4Nana, I would just like to quote myself "I know I'm gonna get comments "if you don't like it don't play it"". Yeah, it's all my fault I bought it. I'm just saying it's a ripoff. Enjoy your game people if you like it so much. Don't even pay attention to me if you like it so much. Relax

SC2 / WC3 aren't unplayable with lag.. so I don't see where that fits in.

Anyway, we're a friendly community when we aren't plagued by people who overly criticize something that has been criticized since day one for over a year.

November 27, 2010 3:22:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks people, I got all the answers I wanted. You wouldn't be this agressive if you weren't aware of the issue. Darkliath, you are a really cool guy and I hope you see that this is aimed at the game devs, not you or any of these guys. Thanks alot people. Bye bye

November 27, 2010 3:38:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have also bought this game recently, and i am very disappointed by it. I just want to say that the quality of gameplay should only depend on players computer/internet, so it's not fair that my game has lags cause someone else has a bad connection. Cause of that i don't think that you should even try to compare it to lol, not to mention blizzard games. I also agree that nowadays everyone trys to make a game and i do agree that it's my fault i bought it, but it was inevitable cause everybody that i read or heard talking about it said that it's playable, wich is certainly not the case. In my opinion the game has a big potential, but that is not what this is about; to make a game with this kind of connection and not repare it 2 years later is by today's standards very wrong. If you want to be fair and look at the 10 000 people community, you have to admit that there has to be something wrong with the game when only that many players play it. Anyway, that's just my opinion, so gonna turn to other games and you  stick to this one if you like it.

November 27, 2010 3:58:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Darkliath, you are a really cool guy

November 27, 2010 4:16:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You wouldn't be this agressive

Oh, you poor thing! You're so sweet and innocent! Coming into a game and telling the host he's a retard because the connection lags slightly, then ragequitting, then joining the next game session like nothing at all happened, being all cocky and arrogant, then bitching on the forums about how Stardock and GPG made a crappy game and stole your hard-earned money from you. And we are the ones that are aggressive here. Sure, why not  

November 27, 2010 5:24:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting IN1,
LoL and HoN are extremely primitive (though the art design is nice)
Let me just jump here a bit, I spent a day in lol, and from what I saw, the art design was uninspiring. I would even go as far to say it was generic, pushing too much to feel like something from DnD. I can't speak for Hon, since I haven't seen much of it.

November 27, 2010 5:28:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Queezlee,
Anyway, that's just my opinion, so gonna turn to other games and you  stick to this one if you like it.

Time for some cold hard truth, what makes you think we care if you don't want to play this anymore? Get lost, it will be one step closer to getting these forums back to how they use to be with more interesting discussion.

November 27, 2010 6:05:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, maybe that's an over-generalization on my part, and since I'm no artist like you, my evaluation is just amateurish I liked HoN's design a great lot, and LoL's D&D-like art didn't strike me as offensive, either. A bit generic: yes, you are probably right.

November 28, 2010 7:55:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Friendly community says "get lost" to Queezlee who hasn't done or said anything to you. Poor little bunch ...

November 28, 2010 8:08:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Look, you've made yourself clear enough. You don't like this game and you don't like the community. So you are fascinated by this forum's design, I take it? Otherwise, it's hard to comprehend what exactly makes you waste your precious time and energy here.

November 28, 2010 8:21:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You guys amuse me, that's all. Please, do continue

November 28, 2010 11:16:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting zubicvila,
Friendly community says "get lost" to Queezlee who hasn't done or said anything to you. Poor little bunch ...

You think you are the only person who has came here with some pile of crap? No your not, there has been others with the same crap. but  was directly inulting to the community who enjoys this game. I for one am tired of it, so while the other members are subtle about it. I am straight forward, shut up and just leave.

Quoting IN1,
Well, maybe that's an over-generalization on my part, and since I'm no artist like you, my evaluation is just amateurish I liked HoN's design a great lot, and LoL's D&D-like art didn't strike me as offensive, either. A bit generic: yes, you are probably right.
Wait I don't remember saying DnD art was offensive Again all I can speak for is what I have seen in lol, now with that said I am not saying demigods art work is ground breaking, which it isn't. Are wise the probably most remember-able character is unclean beast. OAk, Erebus, Torch bearer all play on the generic set up we see in almost everything; shoulder plates, and chest plate. This set up never seem to changes, we see it in halo, gears of war, unreal, and so on. Its all the same formula, it just looks different. Noe I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but it isn't ground breaking. Sedna and Queen both play on two strong stereotypes that we see on women throughout the history of entertainment. The sexy kind and caring healer (with huge breasts, someone get this woman a cat suit), and the sexy dominant vixen who can manipulate and break men.

Wait, what was I saying again queen called me.

November 28, 2010 11:54:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And the friendly community (+41 karma, I imagine what's the others like) says "shut up and just leave". I rest my case, enjoy

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time: