Demigod PSA - Let's All Play Together

By on October 25, 2010 12:45:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pacov

Join Date 02/2008
+183

All,

Please keep in mind that our community is small.  One of the patterns that I'm guilty of (and I'm pretty sure several others are) is in only playing games with people you are familiar with.  There are several new folks that picked up demigod recently and we control (to some degree) their online experience.  So, I'm not suggesting joining newb or new player games (for experienced folks, of course), but please consider joining all welcome games and be willing to take a loss.  I'll be doing this quite a bit going forward.  We need to create more a positive atmosphere and less of an "F you noob - you blew it" one.

So, this is just a general "please don't be a jerk to folks you are playing with" message and also - please consider playing with new folks and giving them some pointers.  If you are reading this, its likely because you enjoy the game.  So, let's keep it going for as long as we can and continue to have fun.  Thanks!

Locked Post 16 Replies +1 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
BadDaddy8
October 25, 2010 1:36:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

NT

October 25, 2010 5:46:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, I totally agree with this. New players are kicked out of most games, and usually end up waiting for someone (new) to host or hosting themselves and waiting forever (people join and leave lobby) or even worse, people join to win against them for stats (absolute massacre).

I'd like that old, good players would play with them, but not seriously (not full power). Take some dumb builds, strange tactics. You cannot use those against good players, because they are ineffective, but it's fun to try against new players  You can even try to restrict yourself to some degree (no favor item or something). Actually it is really fun to play with them, because: they do not care so much about wins, are not so angry at you for doing mistakes, most want to learn, etc. HOWEVER, they do not like rudeness when people shout at them for their lack of skill, or other things. Just try to be helpful and you'll create yourself a good opponent ^^ (maybe better than you are)

Moreover. Yeah. If you are in team with them, you are likely to lose, but who cares? Your skills won't drop down because of that (win % is less important than actual skills in game). For example AlienWarrior has a win rate of 99%. And guess what? He is less skilled than an average player. However lately I saw that most new players get in contact with him... (1+ai vs 1+ ai). And they do not see anything suspicious about his win rate or such game options (always prison, ai's are rook, normal gold for ai kills, etc). Also he plays seriously... (better than new players)

Let's make this community better

October 25, 2010 9:56:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Agreed, agreed, agreed.

October 25, 2010 12:38:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, there are more ignorant noobs out there than nice players. 90% of the time you will get back stabbed for trying to play with newer players (e.g. ragequits). Just because tennis starts getting a shortage in players doesn't mean that Wimbledon players are supposed to play with every and each guy that bought a tennis bat. However, I support a nice tone to each and every player in the game.

October 25, 2010 12:52:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The most frustrating aspect of this is when you are sitting in a lobby and Light fills up with 3 decent or better players. You think, "Great this should be a good game." Then the guy who is 65 games/ 38% shows up on Dark. Then you spend the next 20 minutes watching other decent players show up then immediately drop when they see the noob on their team, before you can even type, "Hey we'll balance this, just stick around." Some just don't want to play with a player who is less experienced, but at least half of them would happily be sitting up there on light praying that some other suckers will ready-up with this guy on their team. Then you, hosting Light, have to decide, do I allow this guy, who has been congenial here in the lobby and really wants to get better, stay, and wait for someone who will play with him show up, do I move down AGAIN and take the noob to get the game going (still no guarantee), or do I kick him with an apology so that the rest of us can get a game in in the next half hour? Never an easy choice.

I'm not the greatest player, but the reason my stats hover just over 50% is that I would always rather play a balanced game than a slaughter either way. There are only a few players that are actually good enough to carry games on their own and have a 60%+ win rate. Too many of the rest are just stat-whoring. (I know this has come up a thousand times before, I just felt like saying it again.)

October 25, 2010 3:13:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Then you spend the next 20 minutes watching other decent players show up then immediately drop when they see the noob on their team, before you can even type, "Hey we'll balance this, just stick around."

If my limited experience of playing this game at noob/mid skill level only gives me any right to chime in... Let's put it this way: I don't like playing stacked teams. Of course, I prefer challenging balanced games to stupid noob-slaughter. What I do like, however, is playing with reliable teammates (stats lie, e. g.: Darkliath with her 40% win rate is extremely reliable when she feels like playing seriously; KingBingo, whose stats are far better, on the other hand, is most definitely not, from what I've seen). Reliable = a player knows what he's doing; is a communicative type (I'm sick of silent masters who expect you to read their thoughts); doesn't mind "taking orders" (someone has to coordinate the team: 99% of noob to intermediate skill players don't like to take this responsibility for some reason); is not a rage-quitter and, overall, does not neglect basic (n)etiquette. Unfortunately, players with these qualities naturally tend to be quite decent at this game. I have a 30+ list of reliable noob/mid players after two and a half weeks online, so they aren't that rare. Now, I admit I try to avoid playing with 0/0% guys or even 50/30% guys a priori. Yes, even if it means that I have to exit the lobby and look for another host (or to host the game myself). Not because I despise them, God forbid, not because I wish to inflate my win % artificially, but rather because playing with a partner that may just quit after he gets killed once (shit happens) or, perhaps, has no idea how to play his DG, is neither enjoyable, nor educative -- it's just annoying as hell.

October 25, 2010 5:59:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

figured I'd chime in here.. I don't really play public games anymore unless I know the people in there.  Otherwise it turns into a shit fest of "balance" "how?"  "i .. i dont know" "k"

Example from 2 minutes ago:  I'm in a lobby as random w/ tb and qot.  The bottom team is 50% +.  "Don't go random" "K what do you want me to go?  Ere / oak / ub / rook?"  someone else "no stay random".  "k how about this... pick my char.. any char... i dont care" "..................... I'm leaving this is unbalanced."  Generally in a pug lobby if I switch teams it suddenly becomes imbalanced the other way and people complain again.  Or else I get stuck with 2 <40% ppl with > 50% ppl on the other team and they think it's balanced because I can somehow magically carry them lol.  I prefer to just avoid that and play with people I know.

Also, generally I don't like playing with noobs because I prefer to have everyone at roughly the same level of skill.  Otherwise it just turns into a shit fest of who can take more advantage of the noob faster.  Sometimes I don't mind playing with some lesser skilled players.. sometimes it turns out pretty funny (had a beast on my team who joined a "highly skilled" game, bought no items, and walked straight into the enemy towers and died to forces.  Then he left after saying "I have no idea what I'm doing"), sometimes it can be a good game.. but I don't bet on 1/100 chances very often.

October 25, 2010 6:17:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting 4Nana,
figured I'd chime in here.. I don't really play public games anymore unless I know the people in there.  Otherwise it turns into a shit fest of "balance" "how?"  "i .. i dont know" "k"

Example from 2 minutes ago:  I'm in a lobby as random w/ tb and qot.  The bottom team is 50% +.  "Don't go random" "K what do you want me to go?  Ere / oak / ub / rook?"  someone else "no stay random".  "k how about this... pick my char.. any char... i dont care" "..................... I'm leaving this is unbalanced."  Generally in a pug lobby if I switch teams it suddenly becomes imbalanced the other way and people complain again.  Or else I get stuck with 2 <40% ppl with > 50% ppl on the other team and they think it's balanced because I can somehow magically carry them lol.  I prefer to just avoid that and play with people I know.

Also, generally I don't like playing with noobs because I prefer to have everyone at roughly the same level of skill.  Otherwise it just turns into a shit fest of who can take more advantage of the noob faster.  Sometimes I don't mind playing with some lesser skilled players.. sometimes it turns out pretty funny (had a beast on my team who joined a "highly skilled" game, bought no items, and walked straight into the enemy towers and died to forces.  Then he left after saying "I have no idea what I'm doing"), sometimes it can be a good game.. but I don't bet on 1/100 chances very often.

Tend to agree here. If I want a fun game it usually can be arranged by both teams having a yeti sedna or something rediculous and still be played at a high level.

October 25, 2010 6:42:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Not true whenever I host an open game with anyone that i know,  every single person no matter how many games or % they have will always leave unless we forcibly nerf our team.

October 25, 2010 6:43:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@ 4Nana: I do feel sorry for those of you walking around with 65% plus win rates trying to get a pug game in when no one you know is on. At 52% it is easy. You guys are often expected to carry the two 40%ers, cause that is soooo much fun for you.

It's kinda like Eightball: "Lookie here. This here is a fine piece of Alabama blacksnake. But it ain't too goddamn beaucoup."

October 25, 2010 11:18:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lol wtf is beaucoup

October 26, 2010 1:14:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=beaucoup

October 26, 2010 1:56:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ohhhhhh.... a bridal shower / wedding favor online store.  Thx hedgie!  Oh wait that didn't fit the context.  l2lmgtfy

October 26, 2010 1:59:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

what do you mean? It makes perfect sense. Marrying snakes in Alabama is totally legal. 

October 26, 2010 9:01:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=beaucoup

I'm assuming people are just pretending that they don't know Eightball, but just in case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8x968FQiqs

If there is still an error, sorry. Just watch Full Metal Jacket FFS.

October 29, 2010 10:33:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Have never seen that.   But omg !

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.