The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Why are the servers getting so slow?

By on October 14, 2010 3:44:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Running_Lukas

Join Date 06/2009
+16

Recently - since the $5.99 sale for demigod I have noticed the servers/lobby have been getting slower and slower. Just logging in today took ages, only to find 0 games hosting.... Then check server stats to see 5 games in progress with a total of 7 people playing worldwide!

Even these forums seem to be loading slow, and surely that's not due to traffic.... Just an observation. Gonna go play some  Battlefield BC2 for some instant action now.

Locked Post 6 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 14, 2010 11:16:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

unfortunately this is pretty much a normal thing.  It's not always super slow in game.. sometimes it's good.. sometimes it's bad.  And these forums have issues of their own.. which is actually unrelated.

October 14, 2010 1:23:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's because there are only a few servers up and they share their space with Impulse's servers. Whenever there is a major update for a game (Elemental is the worst), the Demigod servers will be even slower. 

October 14, 2010 5:20:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well - also sometimes there are system issues and they need to cycle the servers involved in dg. 

October 15, 2010 2:02:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I thought as much... Prolly not much point setting aside a lot of resources for <20 people that play.

October 16, 2010 1:55:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting A_Running_Man,
I thought as much... Prolly not much point setting aside a lot of resources for <20 people that play.

nah - it was like this when we had many more folks.  Just sometimes things get bogged down.  We'd all obviously prefer 100% uptime, but systemic issues happen.  I guess be happy you haven't encountered any major outages.  I think we had like an 11 hour period one time where there was no connectivity.  Granted, that's like 1 instance, but it didn't have anything to do with a low level of support.  It had to do with their ISP doing something without informing SD about it. 

If you do experience major slowdown (that persists for > 20 min or so), etc, you could try what I've done.   Open up chat in demigod and see if any mods are around.  If no one is there, you can open chat through impulse and you will more than likely find one there.  Just pm them and let know that there appears to be an issue.  I really only do this is there is clearly an outage or big issue going on, but I've gotten them to cycle the servers/services and that's resolved the problems on more than 1 occasion. 

October 16, 2010 4:01:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, There's been times when there was nothin doing... I guess it's the same as when you don't reboot regularly and the pc gets full of honey.....but then I'm sure cycling the services would cause interruptions as well.

I understand completely the need/demand balance in everything... Just hope some development like a DG2 or a re-engineer of DG itself takes place some time, and the volume of customers will be there to make this most awesome game succeed as it deserves.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000078   Page Render Time: