The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Locked Post

Remove Player Info.

By on September 17, 2010 8:30:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

SIMPLY, REMOVE PLAYER INFO.

8 games every 10 are ruined by "no noob". "balance". "need bal". and shit like that.

REMOVE IT.

0 Karma | 33 Replies
September 17, 2010 1:44:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Perhaps job adverts should not be ruined by shit like "must be a qualified accountant", "must be a consultant neurosurgeon"

It would make society more fun, I've always wanted to do loads of things I'm not qualified for, not being able to hold my own to the standard that colleagues would need to rely on.  

September 17, 2010 4:48:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

hell ya I wanna be an astronaut.  After I get back from space I definitely want to be a secret agent doing cool shit.

September 18, 2010 2:33:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lol o u're unlucky. Most of the time there are only game for noob in lobby. And players infos its a nice thing. So ppl dont have to visit the pantheon all the time to see if players respect the "no noob" advice.

September 19, 2010 7:15:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Starcraft II: Choose type of game. Choose n° of partecipant. 3,2,1. Play.

Demigod: Choose type of game. Choose n° of partecipant. Kick that player cause he has "only" 138 games played. Wait for other partecipant. Lobby Crash. Create another lobby. Wait for other partecipant. The game is starting...no! "I don' wanna play with a 34%!". Try to balance. The Kids starts to cry. At the end of the day...u can only play with always the same person cause u know that no need to balance. This is ok...but that kind of people are only 15! 

September 19, 2010 3:12:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Start 1v1's people will be keen to play against you then and if you pay attention, your learn. 

If you play against me I will tell you how I am beating you.  

September 19, 2010 5:37:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lol.. comparing demigod's matchmaking system with starcraft II's is like comparing the intelligence of a rock with a nuclear physicist.  Demigod has ZERO matchmaking, and SCII has amazing matchmaking.  But if you want to compare something they can compete on.. DG's ladder / stat system is a piece of sawdust mixed with blood falling from a 5 year old kid who snuck into his dad's workshop and accidentally cut his finger off while ruining several pieces of excellent quality lumber, and SCII is a carpenter's masterwork:

p.s. yes I am aware that my analogies and metaphors are astounding.

September 20, 2010 5:14:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm not comparing. Simply, i want SCII matchmaking on demigod too.

September 21, 2010 5:11:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And how could that possibly work with such a tiny community size?

September 21, 2010 7:57:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Player Info is why Demigod has such a tiny community size. Is a great game, ruined by all that players that wanna win only and always.

September 21, 2010 9:42:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You think 'that' is the reason the community is small?

Nothing to do with this game having very little marketing and what players it did attract on day one got fed up and left BEFORE play info was introduced, because they were frustrated with endless bugs and crashes. I myself gave up on the game because of crashes and bugs, only recently returned and saw player info as one of the very few positives. 

September 21, 2010 9:54:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

LOL.  KingBingo nails it again.  Rocchinho, if you had been around before player info, you would have seen a very small community.  This didn't change when player info came out.  It only recently changed when SCII came out.

Terrible launch, lack of support, lack of easy modding, lack of ladder system, lack of matchmaking, and bugs / crash issues that remain from launch until today all hurt.  On top of that, the community outrage at teams in a game that thrives with teams solidified the issue.  Player info just made it easier so you didn't have to alt tab to make sure you were getting good opponents.  Realize that player info has existed long before the overlay.. you just had to manually look up each player, which a lot of ppl did.  

October 3, 2010 8:35:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah people first left due to bugs and crashes, but now its the community itself that is pushing newcomers away. I played in the beta and early days of release...I got fed up and left. Everytime I attempt to come back its completely dead or a kickfest. Its a shame too the concept for the game is rather good....

And by the way Kingbingo that's an asinine post. Trying to compare joining a casual video game to qualifications for a professional career. I can see you don't agree with the orginal poster, but falling back on to an elitist attitude just makes his point.

October 3, 2010 10:09:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting KingBingo,
Perhaps job adverts should not be ruined by shit like "must be a qualified accountant", "must be a consultant neurosurgeon"

It would make society more fun, I've always wanted to do loads of things I'm not qualified for, not being able to hold my own to the standard that colleagues would need to rely on.  

The difference here is IT IS JUST A GAME. Demigod is not real life. No money is earned playing it. Nothing bad will happen to anyone if a noob joins your team. There is no prize for winning a game.

I agree - Release a version that records ABSOLUTELY NO STATS. I'd opt for that version. And I can get into most games with my stats. I'm no Uber-PRO, but I win more than 50%... I am sick of the raging and the kicking and the winging. If I'm winning I have to read the other team rage out on each other... If we're losing I get raged along with any other teammate that the rager has, this happens in every single game.

I'm waiting for a "promotion" weekend where this game is $5 or $10 and I'll buy a few copies for my LAN buddies and we'll host our own community on password games.

I'd love to come face to face with some of these ragers, and see what they'd have to say then. If you had a camera watching you and your behavior was broadcast to your parents, I bet they'd never let you play games again. If my kids spoke that way to other people they'd be gloves on and 3 rounds in the ring.

Down with stats

October 4, 2010 1:29:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Promotion should be coming out soon. I'll PM you my coupon code if you'd like, when it comes out. 

Anyway, I came back for a tour and it was like... "kick the newbs~". This game has like 300 players all together. And everyone is still dicking around and waiting for 60%s on their side. It's pretty stupid. 

On the other hand, losing because of a shoddy player does suck but... oh well? 

October 4, 2010 1:30:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

also, the game was initially released without stats. Then they added it (around... November? December? of '09). 

Everyone rejoiced... except the people who predicted this would happen (me). 

October 4, 2010 6:57:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well for some people losing in a video game is the end of the world. In most games these people don't really bother the community because theres such a large player base and they only make up a small percentage. The thing is this player base is pretty small and since the "must win" type tend to latch onto games the percentage of them in this game is pretty high. Its a common thing in such small communities, but they really should realize they are just making sure the game slowly dies. I know I'm wasting my time trying to point this out...

October 4, 2010 7:56:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting 84_Running_Man,

The difference here is IT IS JUST A GAME. Demigod is not real life. No money is earned playing it. Nothing bad will happen to anyone if a noob joins your team. There is no prize for winning a game.

This gets thrown around in so many games.  There are so many things you have wrong here.  There is money earned playing this game, and certainly in other games (the GSL just finished for Starcraft II, and winner got $87,000, 2nd got $27k, and down from there).  If wasting 15-45 minutes because the noob on your team ruined what could have been a nice match is "nothing bad" then I guess you have a point.  Personally, I don't like wasting 15-45 minutes when all it takes is a couple minutes to find someone better and have a great game.

The "IT IS JUST A GAME" is so stupid.  Your point is?  People spend quite a bit of time playing video games.. it's a multi-billion dollar industry.  Yes.. some people like you just "play to have fun" in the weirdest way possible (some intentionally choose not to do things optimally, choose to lose, choose to waste their time, etc). How you think wasting 15-45 minutes by letting a noob into a mid+ game or letting a high lvl player into a noob game is fun is beyond me.  But hey.. there is already a fix for this.  Just host your own games.  People already do this by hosting "all welcome."  Many of the ppl who did this in the past were premade teams looking to kill noobs.  The stats system allowed players like yourself to find better quality games with people they knew were at their level.

What killed this game is players like yourself bitching about anything and everything.  But hey.. "it's just a game" that has gone downhill and resulted in lost wages for many workers.

October 4, 2010 9:12:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

4Nana you are now comparing casual gaming with professional gaming. Lets be serious here...Theres not going to be any $87,000 tournaments in demigod...There is just not enough of a following. If this arguement was about allowing people into your professional competition team you might have a real point there...

And by definition by playing this game you are wasting 15-45 minutes. Playing this game accomplishes absolutely nothing...So going down that road is sort of a dead end as well.

Look both sides have their points, but stop trying to go to extremes as it just makes you look foolish.

October 4, 2010 9:46:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

no, I'm making 2 different points.  The "ITS JUST A GAME" argument is also shot down in general by people who play games for a living.  Also, just on that point, there is money to be made playing demigod (albeit not very much), so saying there isn't any at all is also wrong.

I don't consider playing video games a waste of time.  It's something I enjoy doing and well spent leisure hours.  If you consider it to be a waste of time, I don't understand why you don't spend your time doing things you enjoy.  Your definition of "wasted time" is terrible.  You accomplish nothing when you sleep as well... but I definitely don't consider sleeping to be wasting time.  You rest up for the next day and it keeps you alive.  By playing video games it increases my moral, allows me to take a break from working, and increases certain skills (i.e. communication through voice chat, hand / eye coordination, typing speed, blah blah blah).

Both sides don't have their points, and your definition for wasting time doesn't really fit.

October 4, 2010 10:17:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Now you are just grasping at straws with the whole "you can make money" stuff. Give it up...Unless you are playing the video game professionally it IS just a game. Since you are playing demigod you are not playing professionally, because as far as I know there is no professional league for it.

And you try to make a point and then counter that point at the same time. Of course sleep is not wasted time as it is doing something...As you point out. Playing demigod does absolutely nothing....Its a time kill. Granted it is a fun one, but lets not confuse things here. All those "gains" you talk of aren't really due to demigod....Well besides taking a break, but as I said it IS a time kill.

Though this is what I meant by wasting my time pointing any of this out. You will always run into the die hard fans. The ones who will defend a game no matter how flawed. They get especially vicious when a game is on its last leg. They see their games death on the horizon and will attack anyone who says anything against it. Little tip bud some comments are meant to help the game grow.

Fact: a hostile community does NOT foster growth. No growth= dead game....Look at the topics about how hostile the community is...How hard it is to get a game going. Nah theres no problem here....

October 4, 2010 10:29:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Actually, I'm one of the people who has pointed out numerous flaws in demigod and complained quite heavily about the flaws.  Little tip bud, I'm all for making the game grow, but removing player stats encourages the game to die.

It's not a time kill for me.. I already explained how it isn't.. and all those gains are due to my use of time.  Does it specifically have to be demigod?  No.. just talking about games in general.  Does it still apply then to Demigod?  Yes.  Sleep is just as much a waste of time as playing a video game.  I won't be productive if I don't have leisure time.  Unless you're suggesting working 20 hours a day and getting the bare minimum of sleep in order to survive.  Sounds like a terrible life.

I'm not grasping at straws, I'm pointing out the flaw in running_man's post.  You CAN make money playing demigod.  Regardless of how much, it defeats that.  You're also missing the fact that I'm making two separate points.  The professional part is separate from making money in Demigod.

You seem to be continually wasting your time.. might want to manage it better and stop posting on a video game forum (why do you even play games?  Complete waste of time according to you.. unless you enjoy wasting your own time.  Sounds like.. fun?)

October 4, 2010 10:43:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We all do things that waste time...The thing is I can say it is what it is. You seem to be under the impression that your time on demigod is some serious matter and that if certain conditions are not met it was a waste....The only condition you should have is having fun. That was the point of comparing professional and casual gaming....

Though honestly all of this is detracting from the main point here which you touched on but then left. Though I must say you have me curious what is bouncing around in that brain of yours. You claim removing player stats encourages the game to die? Care to get back on topic and elaborate? Or would you rather keep on with the nonsensical arguements?

October 4, 2010 11:11:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's already been brought up in countless arguments in numerous threads.  I could search for them and post a link, but if you want to see the specific links, then search for them yourself?

The only condition you should have is having fun
I also addressed this.  If you think it's fun to waste your time, then go for it and have fun.  It just doesn't make any sense.  You're more than welcome to purposefully play to lose or w/e.. but the majority of players don't think it's fun to have 1 person ruin a game that otherwise would have been competitive and evenly matched.

October 4, 2010 11:32:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ahh I see you'd rather have nonsensical arguements. I suppose it beats having a real discussion especially when its a system that you don't want changed. Right? ...I mean I noticed you and your buddy were quick to hop in the topic and derail it from the start.

And by the way "having fun" does not mean losing....It just doesnt HAVE to mean winning. Thats what you are failing to grasp....

But seriously just stop. You keep repeating the same thing over and over regardless of what is said. Hell you have proven yourself wrong and kept on. You bring NOTHING to this conversation... You claim to want growth and at the same time fight any sort of change. Well the current state surely isn't working....But fight that change bud. Doesn't matter to me. I just peek in on the game from time to time....I've already written this game off as a failure due to poor execution followed by poor community support. Anyway moving on....

October 5, 2010 1:40:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

K cya.

Also, winning isn't everything.  In fact, I'm arguing AGAINST that.  I would rather play decent opponents than blast through a bunch of noobs.  I would rather lose to good opponents and have a good game.  You would apparently rather slaughter your opposition or be slaughtered.  But hey, w/e.

Changing something about the game doesn't mean you have to change something to make it worse than it already is.  Changes that would IMPROVE then game include, but aren't limited to:  Reworking the multiplayer aspect so it utilizes less system resources (reducing lobby crashes which happen so often), reworking the ladder system so it is something meaningful rather than complete nonsense (hooray pantheon-only players topping the ladders lol), create a matchmaking system that works well (could only happen after a revamped ladder system).

P.S. I'm repeating the same thing over and over because you simply don't understand it.  I suppose I should have realized earlier that you will never grasp it and move on.. but I had so much hope that you might figure out something so simple.  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000500   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.