Team to create new Demigods.

By on September 12, 2010 4:58:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Jerez29

Join Date 09/2010

Heya, I'm Jerez and I'm new to the Demigod community. Just picked up my copy today and am finding it the most epic gaming experience of my life.

Now I've done this before on Age of Mythology, this being create a team that makes new characters.

Since I'm REALLY useless at computing, creating models and animations etc. I think of myself as the ideas person.

I'd like to open up spaces to any skilled computer model artist and animation artist, to team up with me and create new demigods.

I'll be describing what the character looks like in general, their history, their fighting style etc.

I want YOU to help me get the demigods in the game for all to enjoy!

Thanks guy, Jerez

Locked Post 22 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 12, 2010 8:26:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sorry mate.. isn't going to happen.  But feel free to post your ideas just to share them

September 12, 2010 11:35:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

good luck with that.

September 13, 2010 1:23:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@ 4Nana : perhaps not today, tomorrow, in a week, a month or even in a year. I know that it took time on the AoM forums but it can happen.

As for sharing my ideas, right now I've only got one...

Name: Underworld Sentinel

Type: Assasain

Look: A death knight kind of look, wields a largish sword, all black with trim of whatever colour team you are.

Abilities: Path to Hades - slam sword into ground making a crack that opens up to reveal shadows that engulf enemies

Reap - a large slash that does big damage and puts drain effect on opponent

Shadow Slam - leap into the air and slam your blade on the ground creating a shockwave of darkness

Shackle - wrap dark chains around an opponent, making them unable to move and slowy draining their health

Cerebus Shadow Orbs - send three dark orbs out (on to the diagonal right front, the next to the front and the last to the diagonal left front of you) seeking enemy demigods, they "detonate" on contact.

Death's reward - Every time you die, you gain a little more health, mana, speed, attack speed and attack power.

That's all I have right now, thanks for reading and I hope someone can actualy create this

September 13, 2010 1:52:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well.. with 5 abilities, you're 1 too many or short 1.  Most DG's have 4 abilities, but TB for ex. has 6, 3 ice and 3 fire with the 4th slot for changing between ice / fire.  Same with QoT, but 4th slot is open / closed form.

So, there's that.  Also, the orbs are very similar to an ability already in game.  Occulus can summon balls of lightning that explode after taking a little damage.

Also I don't understand the intent of your first ability.  Shadows engulf the enemy.. so are they stunned?  Can they still see the map?  Are they hurt?  Dead?  Interrupted?

Also don't understand the Shadow slam.  So again.. I don't know what a shockwave of darkness does... it sounds very similar to the first ability.

Anyway... it's really just not going to happen.  It's not a question of players in the game doing it, it's the fact that the tools to do it haven't been made available and this game has lost support from SD and GPG.  

September 13, 2010 1:10:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm afraid that 4Nana is probably right.  Demigod's beauty is also its curse.  The fine graphical detail of the game does not lend itself to modding.  It's not like sticking a new character in Heroes of Newerth or League of Legends.  Also, the developer provided no modding tools or support--and from what I understand, the tools used to make the maps cost like $15K. GPG/Stardock did provide 2 new demigods, but even these took almost a year to produce.

Finally, while your passion is appreciated, the timing is very bad.  Only the most hard-core, nostalgic, or bored folks are hanging around these forums.  The MP portion of the game is all but dead; I quit playing back in July when the lobby was often empty of games.  It's a shame really, given the potential that the game had. 

Anyhow, best wishes to you if you want to persist in modding the game.  I just don't think that you'll find a viable audience for your work.

September 13, 2010 7:52:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm afraid that 4Nana is probably right. Demigod's beauty is also its curse. The fine graphical detail of the game does not lend itself to modding. It's not like sticking a new character in Heroes of Newerth or League of Legends. Also, the developer provided no modding tools or support--and from what I understand, the tools used to make the maps cost like $15K. GPG/Stardock did provide 2 new demigods, but even these took almost a year to produce.

the tools used to make the maps cost like $15K.

September 14, 2010 12:06:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well thanks for your responses guys, this game has lots of potential I agree...

I was shocked by two things:

1) it was $20NZ ... I told my dad I'd need at least $80NZ to get a decent game, looks like I proved myself wrong

2) Lobbies were empty, my dad my have bought this game for me to get me to stop using the bandwith but I still wanna experience online gameplay.

Hopefully with the release of the rumoured Demigod 2, there will be an opportunity to create your own Demigod, seeing as it's also rumoured to be released on next gen consoles aswel as PC, that would be a good feature.

September 14, 2010 12:24:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

it's actually a beautiful game with great balance... its just ruined by a few things:

• it's too pretty for its own good (you can't make new maps without spending $18k)
  • the ai is a joke for SP
  • the support is weak - we've received a few patches (and will "receive a free series of updates" - read:  nothing much at some point), but it will never live up to its full potential (see next point for why)
  • the mp is a complete fiasco - the game uses p2p (which isn't terrible... but) - if i wanted, I could use exploits every game for a win - see player in link for example - http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/player/88753.  The game is very exploitable stat wise and won't be fixed.  They game can desync due to exploits (meaning it looks like the game never existed).  
  • Players are no longer banned for using exploits.  Anyone can do any form of cheating without the fear of consequences. 

Anyway, the makers of Demigod and stardock slowly killed off their player base because of some early design decisions.  No one wants to play a competitive MP game when if you play with a team, you are considered a jerk... or if stats can be wrecked by ANYONE... and so on.  Anyway, the game requirED major surgery to make it something that would hold a big audience.  The time has come and gone for that.  So, now only a few of us remain.  Happy to add another to our number and hope you enjoy. 

Even with all of its flaws, its a very fun, addictive game... just has some poor implementation that won't be fixed.  Could have been the next team fortress, but it won't ever be now.   And sadly - still one of my favorite games.

September 17, 2010 9:30:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@ OMG_pacov : wow thanks for that, you truely went into great detail and I appreciate it...

To tell the truth...there are too little maps, and game modes for this to have a HUGE audience anyway. Even after not having it a while, I seem to find myself playing less and less :/

September 17, 2010 10:52:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

3DS Max is only $4k.  To get to $15k they must have been using Max, Maya, Vray and Zbrush.  $4k is still too much money for a non-professional.

There are also free student versions via autodesk website that have 15 month licenses but you need a student email addy.

Unfortunately I think they could have gotten good enough results with blender which would have opened the game up to custom maps.

Lets hope for Demigod 2 lol. 

September 17, 2010 10:53:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_pacov,

it's too pretty for its own good (you can't make new maps without spending $18k)

I can make it for 5k

September 17, 2010 10:55:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_Jongalt26,
3DS Max is only $4k.  To get to $15k they must have been using Max, Maya, Vray and Zbrush.  $4k is still too much money for a non-professional.

There are also free student versions via autodesk website that have 15 month licenses but you need a student email addy.

Unfortunately I think they could have gotten good enough results with blender which would have opened the game up to custom maps.

Lets hope for Demigod 2 lol. 
blender...ehhhh that thing is pure and absolute evil, I haven't used the latest version yet though.

September 18, 2010 1:20:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can make it for 5k

do it to it. 

To tell the truth...there are too little maps, and game modes for this to have a HUGE audience anyway. Even after not having it a while, I seem to find myself playing less and less :/

Well... yes and no.  Its really the games poor MP implementation that's killed it.  Granted, there are only 3 game modes... only a handful of maps (1 of which is pretty well balanced - but that's arguable).  If it had stable MP, we wouldn't have seen the game drop off from >50,000 down to 100 or so.  That's because if you look at it and you want a competitive game, you can't find it here.  The gameplay itself provides that, but the MP instability means you might have a good game, but crash... or have a good game, but there be no record of the stat... hell, at one point, you could fight AI in 1v1 or 2vai to get ladder ranking (eg if you are willing to put the time in and beat down ai on a regular basis...).  We even had a knuckle head who did exactly that and rose to ladder rank #1... so, stupid crap like that leads you to say - oh well... screw stats... and then if you decide you are going to stick with the game, you have to accept that approx 20% of your games if not more will either end because someone crashed, you crashed, or someone exploited resulting in the game disappearing from stats... anyway, that's why MP is a ghost town now.  No one wants to clean up the mess - it would cost too much.  The saddest part of all is that its such a blast when it works right. 

September 20, 2010 4:48:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That brought a tear to my eye :/

October 21, 2010 5:34:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Couldn't we use non-custom models for the demigod? Like use a minion thats been reskinned or something?

I'm going to look into it right now.

October 21, 2010 6:23:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jerez29,
That brought a tear to my eye :/

Props for being a AoM fan/modder though

Someone made an amorphous blob Demigod that could scoot around the map, but it had to replace an existing demigod (in this case, the Torchbearer)

November 27, 2010 3:25:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

"Someone made an amorphous blob Demigod that could scoot around the map, but it had to replace an existing demigod (in this case, the Torchbearer)"

this is the real problem with demi, you can make new characters by editing their skins, however, you are still limited to 4 slots (replacing the random slots) in the lobby.

November 27, 2010 5:55:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_pacov,
it's actually a beautiful game with great balance... its just ruined by a few things:

it's too pretty for its own good (you can't make new maps without spending $18k)

Actually this problem could actually be overcome if the communities artist were to come together and use the resources at their disposal, I mean anyone who is in school for simply 3-D modeling already has all the tools needed to make new demigods for this game. But its actually the programmers who make the game, not the artist.

Quoting CanadaMan7,
Couldn't we use non-custom models for the demigod? Like use a minion thats been reskinned or something?

I'm going to look into it right now.

Yea, and now, I would just say scale it up in size then re-uv map it. Even if we did these, the artist still needs to create the abilities from scratch, and the programmers, you know do their programming thing.

Quoting OMG_Jongalt26,
$4k is still too much money for a non-professional.

there are a lot of none professionals who buy maya just because they enjoy 3-D modeling.

November 27, 2010 6:52:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Is there actually a Granny export tool for 3DS/maya/blender/etc?  I was under the impression that there was not.

http://www.radgametools.com/granny/sdk.html lists the formats that Granny can export to, but I can't really find a mention anywhere (via google) of importing something to a Granny format (custom or stock).

If it isn't clear, Granny is the mesh/animation/texturing system and file format that Demigod uses, and it seems to be a release-licensed suite, i.e. you purchase a license for the game you're making (like you would with e.g. the Unreal Engine), and then have access to the tools for your entire development team.  Thus the seemingly extreme cost.  I would think they'd release importing tools, but maybe they're only part of the license package or something.

November 27, 2010 7:03:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting miriyaka,
Is there actually a Granny export tool for 3DS/maya/blender/etc?  I was under the impression that there was not.

http://www.radgametools.com/granny/sdk.html lists the formats that Granny can export to, but I can't really find a mention anywhere (via google) of importing something to a Granny format (custom or stock).

If it isn't clear, Granny is the mesh/animation/texturing system and file format that Demigod uses, and it seems to be a release-licensed suite, i.e. you purchase a license for the game you're making (like you would with e.g. the Unreal Engine), and then have access to the tools for your entire development team.  Thus the seemingly extreme cost.  I would think they'd release importing tools, but maybe they're only part of the license package or something.
you probably should contact the Granny dev, for this type of information.

November 27, 2010 7:46:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't care personally, but it's the excuse everyone makes for not wanting to start a content-laden project for Demigod.  If it's a real thing, then there's nothing that can be done about it, but either way it means that nobody cares enough (likely) and there are actual file format issues (also likely).

November 27, 2010 8:41:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think the problem itself is, if there were a third party source needed, how would we get our hands on it? Also, if we could buy it, who's going to spend X amount of money to do so, especialy for a game which has no auto mod download. Demigod's community has a higher maturity level then 70% of the the sites I have been to (those other 30% were actual business and professional sites.) Not to mention, many have kids, or in college, paying bills, and so on. So even someone were to do so, just the fact there is no auto-mod download itself, makes it less beneficial for anyone to spend their money on it.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000531   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.