The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The 2nd Demigod Community Tournament - Rules and Registration

Pacov's Last Stand

By on September 11, 2010 2:34:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Welcome to the 2nd Demigod community tournament (Pacov's Last Stand) - rules and registration thread!   

UPDATE 1:  The scheduling thread has been opened.  Please head over there and post when you are available to play:  http://forums.impulsedriven.com/399006

UPDATE 2:  A new version of uberfix is available AND is required for the tournament.  Please see here and download/install:  https://forums.demigodthegame.com/399037

UPDATE 3:  The RESULTS thread has been opened.  Please head over there to track your wins/losses/replays:  https://forums.demigodthegame.com/399047

Update 4:  Registration is now closed.  Alternates are still allowed, but no new teams will be allowed to register at this point.

Update 5:  Added ventrilo (voice chat) server information for those of you that would like to use voice chat.  It also helps in finding people that are ready to play their matches!

Update 6:  The replay commentaries/discussions thread has been opened:  https://forums.demigodthegame.com/399150.  Check this thread out for news on live streaming events during the tournament along with commentaries and video for some of the games in this tournament!

This thread will cover all of the relevant rules and registration information.  Please see below for all of the details.

The tournament began on 10/16/2010.  Please be aware that this tournament will not begin and end on 10/16/2010.  It will actually take several weeks to complete. 

Background 

In April 2010, we started our first community demigod tournament.  The tournament was 2v2 and certain demigod selections were restricted.  The tourney carried a crash prize donated by people in the community and was won by the two man team of zen_god and King_of_thorns.  For more details on that tourney, read up here: (https://forums.demigodthegame.com/380837). 

Tournament Format

• The tournament will be played as a 3v3 round robin tournament.  Round robin simply means that there is no elimination outside of disqualification.  Your team will play each and every team.  
  • Each match in the tournament will consist of 3 total games. 
  • We will track every win and loss.  The team with the most wins is the winner of the round robin portion of our tournament.
  • After the round robin has concluded, the top 4 teams will battle it out elimination style in the best 2 out of 3 games. 

Tournament Rules

• All matches will be played on cataract with default settings (the only exceptions being AI HP on Very High and AI Gold/XP on low). 
  • Each team will play 1 round on the light side, then 1 round on the dark side.  In the 3rd round, if each team has 1 win, the team that had the fastest win in game 1 or 2 gets to pick the side they want to be on.  If one team already has 2 wins, the team with no wins gets to pick the side they want to be on (keep in mind the following rule). 
  • The team that is on the dark side must pick their characters and ready up first.  Then the team on the light side gets to pick and the dark side does not have a chance to adjust their characters.
  • Players using oak may not use spirits to perform a citadel rush.  Any player doing this will have their entire team disqualified for that game giving a win to the opposing team. If you don't know what this terminology means, odds are you aren't citadel rushing with spirits. 
  • Players MUST form their own teams
  • One player from each game must report their stats in.  We will open up a tournament stat tracking thread after the tournament begins. 
  • To track your wins, you must do the following - post the replay at gamereplays.org.  If you have issues with gamereplays, upload the file to rapid share and provide us with a link.  One player from the winning team should do this for each and every match. 
  • Each team must complete a minimum of 2 matches (6 games) per week.  If there are extenuating circumstances, then the decision making panel will review them.  Failure to complete 2 matches per week will result in a disqualification for your team. 
  • ALL teams are required to use the version of the uberfix mod here:  https://forums.demigodthegame.com/399037

Alternates

• Each team is allowed to have exactly 1 alternate
  • The alternate must not be participating in the tournament (either directly registered for the tournament or on a duplicate account). If it is discovered that the alternate is a player that is already in the tournament, but using a different account, all of those matches will be forfeited.
  • The same alternate cannot be used by multiple teams
  • If a team wins a cash prize with an alternate on their team, that team must determine how they will handle the prize money.  The decision making panel has nothing to do with how you choose to split up the money.

Prize 

There will be a cash prize > $600.  Jongalt will be handling the collection of the money for this tournament.  We are discussing the prize money in this linked thread:  https://forums.demigodthegame.com/398009.  We appreciate any contributions to the prize.  YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO PAY TO PLAY IN THIS TOURNEY. 

Here is how we will be splitting the winnings from the pot:

• 10% goes to the team that wins the round robin
  • 50% of the balance goes to the winner of the playoffs
  • 25% of the balance goes to the 2nd place winner of the playoffs
  • 15% of the balance goes to the 3rd place winner of the playoffs
  • Participation raffle - 1 player from a team that has completed all of their games in the tournament will be entered into a random drawing after the tournament ends.  That player will receive a prize of $30 as incentive for finishing the tournament.  This money will be taken from the total cash pot before any other money is distributed by percentage.  Any player that has won a cash prize is NOT eligible for the participation raffle.

Demigod Selection

Each 3 man team must use the following formula to make their Demigod character selections based on a 7 point maximum.  Be aware that no duplicate demigods are permitted on the same team.  This means you cannot choose random.

• Demon Assassin/Regulus - 1 point
  • Oculus/Queen of Thorns/Senda/Torch Bearer - 2 points
  • Lord Erebus/Oak/Rook/Unclean Beast - 3 points

Tournament Time Zone

The official time zone of the tournament is set for EST US time.  Players that are outside of that timezone are certainly welcome to play.  However, if there are significant scheduling difficulties due to players unable meet at the same time, the team furthest outside of the EST zone will most likely be disqualified or forfeit that match.  This rule does not excuse folks in the EST zone from any responsibility.  All parties in this tournament should endeavor to schedule their matches with other teams and try to be as flexible as possible. 

Decision Making Panel

This tournament will be governed by a decision making panel consisting of pacov, McShane, hedgie with Jongalt as an alternate.  The panel's purpose is as follows:

• Review any scheduling issues and making the final decisions with regards to disqualification. 
  • Reviewing replays as required (crashes and desyncs)
  • Resolving any disputes that arise

The panel's decision on all matters will be the final word for this tournament. And last, the members of the decision making panel will not make any decisions on the games they are playing in.  We didn't have a panel in place for the first tournament and that was a mistake. 

How will we handle crashes

If there is a game crash, the players involved in that match should see if they can come to a consensus on the probable outcome of the match.  If there is no clear winner, the 2 teams should replay the match using the exact same demigods and sides (light/dark).  If there was a clear winner at that point in the game, then that team should be awarded the win.  If the 2 teams disagree on the outcome, then the decision making panel will review the replay of the match and render a decision.  Be aware that the decision making panel must agree that a specific team was going to win or the results will be thrown out and the match redone.  Please be thoughtful if you want the panel to review a match. 

How we will handle invalid game states

The lastgamereplay file is still created in the event of an invalid game state, so it is still possible to review the results of a match.  In the event of an invalid game state, players should attempt to resolve the issue exactly the same way as game crashes.  If you believe foul play occurred, submit the replay along with any screen shots, etc, as evidence and the decision making panel will review.  If there is a CLEAR consensus that a team is willingly triggering invalid game states, that team will be disqualified after a thorough review of the facts and will no longer be able to participate in the tournament.  If your game does crash, it might be advisable to take a screen shot of the crash as proof.  Be aware that we know invalid game states can occur without any sort of foul play, so please be mindful when submitting requests for review.

Current Teams:

1. Soccermom, OMG_Zex, pacov
  2. Orcun, McShane, Defender
  3. beastmode, generalG, stiffyG
  4. IamKira, Mith, Zen_God
  5. bad daddy/chiefy/trousersnake
  6. jongalt/OMG_nomilarac/thundercles
  7. rwcupcrazy/pwnage_69/nojokes
  8. Iz_, Darz4, Darkliath
  9. Anneliese_the_Beserk/Udo_Juergins/Don_Doen
  10. Eltimes/Lols_SeaWolf/DreamCatcher
  11. OMG_jona__/4nana/kalel
  12. Nacelle, VulturePwns, LoCoJoK3R
  13. RobertMunch/FC-FuneralPortrait/DeadDemi
  14. Commando51, Rezzan, and T-Schert
  15. arkANG3L, swordguyj, and Firefromthesky
  16. brasher01/brokenstrong/beckad1(prozombe)
  17. Maxsteel32/Sebacoyl/Stilr
  18. Mortora/Nate_the_Great1992/SD_Zebrafox
  19. Bartleby/aberrator/nnnils\
  20. tsk-mandingo/ruiprsg_/kobzos

Registered Alternates:

Please be aware that other players are elligible to be an alternate based on the rules outlined in the alternates section.  I've simply left this list here so teams will know at least a few of the players that might be available as alternates. 

1. busdude
  2. doggu
  3. gl-Spectre
  4. johnkout7
  5. jorune2112
  6. Kiamori
  7. OmicronLyrae
  8. Ouch-That-Hurts
  9. Renfri
  10. Rocchinho
  11. Taharos
  12. volen20

For any of you that would like to use it, we have a public ventrilo (voice chat) server that you are welcome to use for the tournament.  Even if you don't have a microphone, if only 1 person on your team does, it can be very useful to use voice chat (at least 11 of the registered teams will be using voice chat.  Why not you too?

Here's all of the info you need to get started:

Here is where you can download the client (its free): http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php

Here are instructions on how to use ventrilo to connect to a server:  http://www.ventrilo.com/setup.php

And here's the needed server info:

Server Name:  Lagwar's Ventrilo Server
Hostname: 
oxygen.typefrag.com
Port:

I have created some password protected channels for those of you that would like to use the server.  Scroll down until you see channel Oh My Demigod.  You will then see tournament channel 1/2/3.  The password for these channels are demigod.  Let me know if you have any questions. 

+161 Karma | 924 Replies
September 13, 2010 7:22:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting stiffyG,
im so down i missed the last one

you up for a $10 buy in or opposed?

edit - moved the list of folks to the OP.

September 13, 2010 8:33:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would play in the tournament. Not sure about the 10 bucks. I have to see the format and amount of people playing in it first.

September 13, 2010 9:09:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Thundercles,

McShane, can you get Orcun to unretire?  I'd like another chance to play you guys if Hedgie is up for it.

Actually I don't even know how to get a hold of Orcun anymore.  I had him on facebook but I deleted my account a while ago because I haven't actually used it since, well the last time I had to get a hold of Orcun to come play in a tournament.  I heard he was on vacation in Europe or something, maybe Ninki knows where he is.  However I'm sure I could find a quality partner if you guys want to set something up, of the few remaining regular players I think most would jump at the chance for a good competitive match.

September 13, 2010 10:35:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

maybe Ninki knows where he is.

ninki's a ghost.  I've been working the Europeans for new top talent

September 13, 2010 10:43:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ill be happy to help you re-learn the game

September 14, 2010 1:15:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_pacov,

ninki's a ghost.  I've been working the Europeans for new top talent

I am not a ghost. I am still alive and well.

September 14, 2010 1:37:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ninki abuses OP characters in other games

September 14, 2010 4:32:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ah well, just like he did in DG   

September 14, 2010 6:46:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As for participating in the tourney, i will if it's 3v3 and no all UB/Oak/LE/Rook teams retardedness is allowed.

I'm not too willing to fork anymore money into DG though. i already put 10$ into the previous tourney, even though i wasn't participating, in order to help keeping DemiGod and its community alive. Look at where we are now.

The game died out again as soon as people got out of the tourney, and there isn't the slightest sign of interest from SD nor GPG in supporting the game or its community. I've almost got used to not playing DG anymore and reaching the acceptance phase of DGs death, so... well, you get my point.

September 14, 2010 10:39:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well i'm definitely up for a tourney and will pledge a minimum of $50.

I would prefer 3v3 as well.  However i don't necessarily think there should be demigod choice restrictions. 

I would also be willing to help in an organizational capacity.

I also don't think it should be pay to play since $10 for a college student could equate to numerous ramen noodle meals.

My proposal is that we do a non-elimination round robin for seeding purposes and then a bracket based on the round robin results.

An example would be that if we had 12 teams total, there would be 4 groups of 3, each of the groups of 3 teams would play each other to determine a 1st 2nd & 3rd for their group which would correspond to a position on the bracket. I know this will extend the tournament however if this is demigod's last resurrection then might as well make it good.

Prizes:

I would also suggest that there should be a percentage of the pot to go to first, 2nd &  possibly 3rd place depending on how much money is in the pot. (at least this way, determining who is 3rd place would provide some sort of fun benefit).

Maybe we could ask Brad to throw in a couple of copies of elemental as well.  (I would be willing to match purchased copies as prized too) so maybe the 3rd place team gets a free copy of elemental lol.

Raising Money

With that being said, we would have to raise money.  My proposal is that the teams who pledge money have some sort of slight benefit in the tournament somehow.  I think the easiest way would  be that the donators get to pick their groups position in the round robin, from the highest donation getting the best choice to the least donation getting the least choice, and the non-donators not having any choice of which group they are in.  Let's face it, if you aren't donating to the cause then you are playing for a cash prize due to the benevolence of the donators.

Since the round robin isn't elimination and just for placement purposes it wouldn't have a major impact on the total outcome of the tourney since everyone would have a fair shake.  Yet it would slightly benefit those who did offer their hard earned money for some last bit of demigod fun by allowing a strategic placement within the tourney.  

If the proposal above is accepted then i will donate a minimum of $100 for my team, if not more.

Timezone placement.

If we do 3v3's then we are going to have additional scheduling issues.  Suggestions for helping to counter this would be beneficial.

For this tourney I would recommend setting a time zone, preferably EST (hehe) that the tourney is rooted to.

If players outside of this timezone want to enter the tournament then they are more than welcome to however if they don't have the ability to play the matches within a reasonable timeframe and at a reasonable time for those in the selected timezone then the "foreign" team is automatically eliminated. 

Example:  Team in timezone in EST says "I can play from 9pm to midnight EST any day this week", the nana's in Korea say i can only play from 2am to 5am  EST during the week, then the nana's are eliminated. Perhaps a small panel of 3 people could vote on which team gets eliminated if the scheduling issue becomes a problem?

What do you guys think? 

September 14, 2010 10:46:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Pacov you mispelled my name in the OP!!!!! ALL CAPS PALEASE!

September 14, 2010 10:47:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I prefer Jongalt's approach

September 14, 2010 10:54:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_Jongalt26,
Well i'm definitely up for a tourney and will pledge a minimum of $50.

I would prefer 3v3 as well.  However i don't necessarily think there should be demigod choice restrictions. 

I would also be willing to help in an organizational capacity.

I also don't think it should be pay to play since $10 for a college student could equate to numerous ramen noodle meals.

My proposal is that we do a non-elimination round robin for seeding purposes and then a bracket based on the round robin results.

An example would be that if we had 12 teams total, there would be 4 groups of 3, each of the groups of 3 teams would play each other to determine a 1st 2nd & 3rd for their group which would correspond to a position on the bracket. I know this will extend the tournament however if this is demigod's last resurrection then might as well make it good.

Prizes:

I would also suggest that there should be a percentage of the pot to go to first, 2nd &  possibly 3rd place depending on how much money is in the pot. (at least this way, determining who is 3rd place would provide some sort of fun benefit).

Maybe we could ask Brad to throw in a couple of copies of elemental as well.  (I would be willing to match purchased copies as prized too) so maybe the 3rd place team gets a free copy of elemental lol.

Raising Money

With that being said, we would have to raise money.  My proposal is that the teams who pledge money have some sort of slight benefit in the tournament somehow.  I think the easiest way would  be that the donators get to pick their groups position in the round robin, from the highest donation getting the best choice to the least donation getting the least choice, and the non-donators not having any choice of which group they are in.  Let's face it, if you aren't donating to the cause then you are playing for a cash prize due to the benevolence of the donators.

Since the round robin isn't elimination and just for placement purposes it wouldn't have a major impact on the total outcome of the tourney since everyone would have a fair shake.  Yet it would slightly benefit those who did offer their hard earned money for some last bit of demigod fun by allowing a strategic placement within the tourney.  

If the proposal above is accepted then i will donate a minimum of $100 for my team, if not more.

Timezone placement.

If we do 3v3's then we are going to have additional scheduling issues.  Suggestions for helping to counter this would be beneficial.

For this tourney I would recommend setting a time zone, preferably EST (hehe) that the tourney is rooted to.

If players outside of this timezone want to enter the tournament then they are more than welcome to however if they don't have the ability to play the matches within a reasonable timeframe and at a reasonable time for those in the selected timezone then the "foreign" team is automatically eliminated. 

Example:  Team in timezone in EST says "I can play from 9pm to midnight EST any day this week", the nana's in Korea say i can only play from 2am to 5am  EST during the week, then the nana's are eliminated. Perhaps a small panel of 3 people could vote on which team gets eliminated if the scheduling issue becomes a problem?

What do you guys think? 

This could potentially lead to some very interesting, and weird teams. I can already see my hair getting pulled out when my teammate fails to do something that is clearly obvious to me.

September 14, 2010 12:03:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How is that different than any other night Cow ?  lmao  

September 14, 2010 12:25:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

An example would be that if we had 12 teams total, there would be 4 groups of 3, each of the groups of 3 teams would play each other to determine a 1st 2nd & 3rd for their group which would correspond to a position on the bracket.

I'm not quite sure I follow...

Your initial concept is that people form teams of 3 themselves, right?  And then they get placed in a bracket for the final tournament... I'm just confused as to what cow said...

This could potentially lead to some very interesting, and weird teams. I can already see my hair getting pulled out when my teammate fails to do something that is clearly obvious to me.

Is the round robin you are describing actually deciding what the 3 man teams would consist of.

And I very much agree - this should be a 3 man team tournament.  Period. 

September 14, 2010 12:49:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh lol, that's an interesting concept, actually very interesting the more i think about it, but not what i intended.

My intent was that there is a seeding round robin tournament for the teams to determine the positions of the teams on the bracket.

3-person Teams would have to register for the tournament (if there are those who don't have a team and are looking for a team, perhaps do what you did before and have a random lottery)

Anyways, say 6 teams enter,

Team 1 - pacovs team

Team 2 - cowbuttsore team

Team 3 - Jona's happyface team

Team 4 - Jon's jackasses team

Team 5 - Nomilaracs NOMNOMNOM team

Team 6 - Soccers Moms "wish the us won the world cup" team

Team 1, 2 & 3 play each other to determine 1st, 2nd & 3rd for their group.  The rank of the team corresponds to a position on the bracket. 

Teams 4, 5 & 6 play each other to determine 1st, 2nd & 3rd for their group.  The rank of the team corresponds to a position on the bracket.

Now lets assume that team 1 placed first place in their group, team two placed second, team 4 placed 1st place in their group

Bracket:

Now the idea here is to separate the team 1 winners so they meet in the quarter/semi/finals etc. 

Team 1 goes to position 1 on the bracket. Team 1's first game in the bracket is against team 6.

Team 4, goes to the furthest position away from team 1, their first game in the bracket is against team 3.

I can draw something up if it would make it easier. 

September 14, 2010 1:00:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

no that makes sense... cow's comments don't. 

I still like the finding the best overall player strat I mentioned earlier... I can have dreams.  Anyway, if we go round robin, I think I dig your approach and also think I understand what you mean now

If we do play unrestricted characters - the good teams will be the ones that use erb/oak/rook/ub and leave out all the other dgs, though.  And as exciting as that is...

September 14, 2010 1:11:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I haven't been playing the game that much.  Last game was about August 27th-28th I think.  I've been out of town on a course for the past couple of weeks so I haven't actually played any video games 

I'm not sure.  I mean if you're short on numbers and need one more to make up another 3 man team I'd step in and I'd be prepared to pay £6.66 to support the tourny (regardless of whether I compete or not).  It's just I've got a lot going on with professional exams and work at the moment so I don't have much free time :/  And the time zone difference doesn't help much either  -___-

I'll give a more definite response once it's a little closer to the date and I see where I'm at.

I'm playing LoL a lot more nowadays.  I think ABornExile has pretty much moved to Starcraft and I haven't heard from Brandon_Varn in a while.  No idea about Grahf_ either.  However, I can message these guys on Skype and see if they'd be up for it.

oh... and

STIFFY GEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!  

September 14, 2010 1:25:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_pacov,
no that makes sense... cow's comments don't. 

When did they?

Oh and Shreddy, It would be great to have you back, i'm getting sick of all these "i can only play from 3am till 6am GMT " @&/$%ers.

P.S: I started playing (not too often) LoL too , i'm still quite noob though (can only play Sivir and the lil ninja). My nickname there is the same "nomilarac", add me if you have the time.

September 14, 2010 1:38:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, in the last tournament me being in a different time zone was a bit of an issue.  If I was still at university I would give a definite yes, but tbh, I can't really say that atm the way things are.  I mean I'm at work half 8 to 6 and I'm (allegedly) meant to be revising in the evening    So there's really a pretty small window of opportunity on weekdays for when I can actually play given that that time is when most Americans will probably still be at work or they're just back from work and I'm thinking about bed.

Nom are you on the Europe or the US LoL servers?  I'm on both but I'm a much higher level on the Europe one ^^

My favourite characters are Ezreal (OMG WTF BURST DAMAGE   ), Vladimir (woo! an assassin Erebus, he even mists! ) and Katerina.  The game got a lot more fun once I promised myself to stop playing/exploiting twitch 

September 14, 2010 1:45:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What slaveholder did you say you work for?

Edit: So far i've only played on the EU servers.

Edit 2 : We should really stop editing posts, my head is starting to hurt

Edit 3 : Katarina is hot

September 14, 2010 1:53:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yea shred but you were easy to work with for the last tournament.  Some others weren't.

LOL Nom !

September 14, 2010 5:07:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Bah I must have read into Jong's post incorrectly. I thought it said something like this," people that donate money get to pick there partners, the highest donation gets to pick first."

September 14, 2010 5:24:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_ZEX,
Bah I must have read into Jong's post incorrectly. I thought it said something like this," people that donate money get to pick there partners, the highest donation gets to pick first."

haha - i like it. 

September 15, 2010 11:30:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Anyone else interested in the tournament?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.