The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Bioforge

I felt it deserved a thread

By on September 7, 2010 12:13:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hey all

A long time ago when games were better and gamers were more mature a game named Bioforge was released (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioForge)

The story was beyond phenominal if you took the time to read the text. The game was fairly revolutionary for its time and the puzzles were interesting.

Normally in games such as these the combat falls short but even the hand to hand combat was deep and fulfilling.

I absolutely loved this game. Anyone else play it? Wish for a remake?

+4 Karma | 6 Replies
September 8, 2010 12:09:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

yeah I remember that game, never got far myself but watched my dad play it for hours

but yeah would love to see a remake, like a lot of oldie but goodie games

September 8, 2010 1:05:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I remember playing it in college, or perhaps just a demo, and thinking it was by far one of the wierder games I'd ever played. Never really got that into it though. Still I'd always wondered what exactly that game was, and hey now I know.

September 8, 2010 7:31:50 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hey all

A long time ago when games were better and gamers were more mature a game named Bioforge was released (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioForge)

The story was beyond phenominal if you took the time to read the text. The game was fairly revolutionary for its time and the puzzles were interesting.

Normally in games such as these the combat falls short but even the hand to hand combat was deep and fulfilling.

I absolutely loved this game. Anyone else play it? Wish for a remake?

Wow nostalgia really gunked up your eyes didn't it?

Story beyond phenomenal?  Mad scientist, wake up not knowing who you are.  Have to solve some puzzles and kill some other mad scientist mutants to escape the planet.  Yeah phenomenal

From what I remember of the combat it invovled hitting then retreating then hitting again, just gaming the things you were fighting.  What was great about combat though was the damage to your character and the way he would be limping as he was hurt.

I have very fond memories of this though, one of the first PC games I bought when I upgraded from an Amiga.  The funniest part from my memory was your guy saying really badly "We should work TOGETHER" to another mutant in prison while you beat him over his head with his own arm.

I tried to play it again some years back and remember thinking how dated it was.

Resident Evil the year after was pretty much the same in gameplay but with guns instead of melee combat.  They were both born from Alone in the Dark which started the dodgy camera angles and left right forward back control I believe.  Never completed Res Evil or Alone in the Dark but I did complete Bioforge.

I wouldn't mind another Resident Evil which wasnt Resident Evil but I'm a fan of where they have taken that series, really liked Res Evil 5 in co-op.  Would be nice to play Res Evil in space

September 8, 2010 8:43:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nope, we cant blame nostalgia on this one, just difference of opinion.

I played it again only a few months ago and my opinion was not shaken.

The combat was the most sophisticated hand to hand combat system of the time. All the number keys activated a different punch and if you switched them then they all activated a different kick. The moves varied in speed, strength and location so they were genuinly different.

The story was phenominal IMO. Trapped on an asteroid with a scientist having done things to you. As you find out about your self you see others who have been mutilated far worse than you, aliens and their respective technology (but not the type of generic aliens, mysterious aliens where each thing you discover about them feels like an achievement) and depending on your actions you end up having been a different person each time.

Did you read the guys (whose arm was missing) datapad? And then Danes Datapad? And then the guards Datapad? It really makes you feel sorry for that guy who you start off by battering to death with his own arm.

The guns were a bit crap but they were made for the puzzles not really for combat.

I never really played Resident Evil because even though they stem from the same genre the setting matters hugely to me and im just not that bothered about zombies and goverment stuff ups. (the latter i et enough of in real life lol)

September 8, 2010 9:57:38 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Dariune,
The story was phenominal IMO. Trapped on an asteroid with a scientist having done things to you. As you find out about your self you see others who have been mutilated far worse than you, aliens and their respective technology (but not the type of generic aliens, mysterious aliens where each thing you discover about them feels like an achievement) and depending on your actions you end up having been a different person each time.

I don't remember the combat as well as you although it sounds familiar.  I only ever completed it once so I had no idea I would be a different person based on my actions.

Quoting Dariune,
Did you read the guys (whose arm was missing) datapad? And then Danes Datapad? And then the guards Datapad? It really makes you feel sorry for that guy who you start off by battering to death with his own arm.

I have a big problem with stories told through data pads, logs, diary entries.  In them days I would read them definately but there are 2 big issues with it.  It totally breaks up the gameplay, get action sequence, feel the need for urgency, tension and think I know where to go next, oh wait, data pad, ill sit here for 5-10 minutes getting a bit of the story.  Also I find with my playing habbits often I will forget what I have read not long after reading because I may be skimming through to try to get key information rather than what is actually going on.

This was even worse with Resident Evil 5 as I was playing it co-op, my partner is the sort of guy that clicks through cinematic sequences.  I didn't let him do here but there was no way I would get him to stop while I read every little bit I could find, and frankly we probably had a better experience because of it.

I'm glad I did with Doom 3 or I wouldnt have got the story at all but it's still boring and could surely be done better, at least some of it was audio logs but I was still forced to not carry on shooting demons so I could hear what was said.

Quoting Dariune,
...the setting matters hugely to me and im just not that bothered about zombies...

Man you crazy

September 8, 2010 11:33:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Im not a big fan of Datapads either, mostly because the content of written text in games is usually garbage. (The exceptions i can think of being Bioforge, Morrowind and Baldurs Gate)

In FPS i hate it. Im happily blapping the bad guys with bullets/plasma/ funny green balls of light merrily dancing around my ears when ...

STOP!

DATAPAD

"Please read 5 pages of poorly written crap before continuing having fun."

Now audio data i dislike even more

"Please stop having fun while people are firing at you, listen to the tape which is really quiet and if people start shooting at you kindly ask them to keep it down while we continue the story with poorly written audio"

That aside, the Datapads written in Bioforge were really good. They really made you feel for the characters. The journal as well. Like with the captain of the guard. It makes you wish you had befriended him and not shot him.

Yup i am crazy lol. Dont get me wrong, i dont mind zombies, i have Left for Dead and enjoyed it. I just dont find zombie games that good at helping me escape reality because they go out of their way to let you know your playing a game.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000141   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.