Starcraft 2 is out

Will you buy it?

By on July 26, 2010 11:42:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums External Link

Deliz Seemack

Join Date 04/2007

Starcraft 2 has just been released worldwide. With its' strong predecessor's success, do you think it will attract as many people? Are you planning on buying it?

I was selected as part of the beta and I only completed one game. I will not be buying it. I think I am too old for this. No matter how I try, I know I will never compete for the top spots. The RTS genre is less attractive to me today than it was back in the Starcraft days. That's just me.

What do you think?

Locked Post 162 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 26, 2010 11:50:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's not the 27th where I live yet. 

July 26, 2010 11:51:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I think it will be bigger than the original.

And I'll be playing it, but I'm not too worried about trying to compete for a top spot. I mean there's people who play the game professionally, let alone ppl who just play a lot and get zero compensation. I'll be happy with getting into the top league since I never played RTS competitively before.

July 27, 2010 12:00:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

been the 27th since almost 14 hours ago where i live no money to get it 

i will get it when i can but no before i get collectors for elemental.

still its stupid how blizzard has divided up the world i live in Australia won't be able to play with anyone from the USA yet... said they going to fix it by allowing us to download the USA version... some how i think they are testing balances...

July 27, 2010 12:06:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I pre-ordered it, but sadly I have come to a decision not to support Activision-Blizzard anymore. The first nail in the coffin was when they decided to split the game into 3 full priced games instead of 1 game and 3-4 expansions. Second nail was not having actual LAN support that doesn't require a battlenet connection. Third nail was region play. Fourth was taking over the eSport of SC so they could suck profits from every aspect of it. Final nail was REAL ID.

Call me old fashioned, but I vote with my dollar when companies do things I'm opposed to. I support developers like Stardock and Valve, because they try to make money by making a quality product, not by exploiting market trends and gimmicks and nickel and dime tactics.

July 27, 2010 12:11:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is there something wrong with me if I went on youtube and know the ending already...? (hopefully I get my copy today!) 

Ya I know I will get my ass handed to me online but hey I can try...

July 27, 2010 12:12:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting SpaghettiMon,
I pre-ordered it, but sadly I have come to a decision not to support Activision-Blizzard anymore. The first nail in the coffin was when they decided to split the game into 3 full priced games instead of 1 game and 3-4 expansions. Second nail was not having actual LAN support that doesn't require a battlenet connection. Third nail was region play. Fourth was taking over the eSport of SC so they could suck profits from every aspect of it. Final nail was REAL ID.

I would say that I was also influenced by these greedy decisions.

July 27, 2010 12:15:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Im buying it no question.

July 27, 2010 12:18:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting SpaghettiMon,

Call me old fashioned, but I vote with my dollar when companies do things I'm opposed to. I support developers like Stardock and Valve, because they try to make money by making a quality product, not by exploiting market trends and gimmicks and nickel and dime tactics.

I'll take your key 8D I don't want to financially support them either.

This way, I don't have to, and even though you did, you didn't play it so you sorta didn't break your promise either. Both happy!

July 27, 2010 12:28:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

anyways i think i'll just keep playing D&D 3.5 with my epic d20 4.0 is just more mmo... and to appeal to more simple people... starcraft 2 was a remake of the first to fix the game play as in make every unit useful and not useless still going to be fun if not funner and with an epic match making system to find someone close to your skill level is gonna be fun if i ever get it ....

July 27, 2010 12:35:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

3 full priced games instead of 1 game and 3-4 expansions. Second nail was not having actual LAN support that doesn't require a battlenet connection. Third nail was region play. Fourth was taking over the eSport of SC so they could suck profits from every aspect of it. Final nail was REAL ID.
as far as i know the other games continue the story line they might or might not cost as much as a full game need to wait and see if that's the case, yes removing lan was stupid. they are allowing cross play some time but not now.... eSport is just a part of the game since its meant to be really competitive . they have stopped forced real ID but u can use it for people you know but that's mainly if they play WoW..

July 27, 2010 12:52:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting KillzEmAllGod,

3 full priced games instead of 1 game and 3-4 expansions. Second nail was not having actual LAN support that doesn't require a battlenet connection. Third nail was region play. Fourth was taking over the eSport of SC so they could suck profits from every aspect of it. Final nail was REAL ID. as far as i know the other games continue the story line they might or might not cost as much as a full game need to wait and see if that's the case, yes removing lan was stupid. they are allowing cross play some time but not now.... eSport is just a part of the game since its meant to be really competitive . they have stopped forced real ID but u can use it for people you know but that's mainly if they play WoW..

I will not sign up for Battlenet until Real ID is removed completely from it. I don't trust them enough anymore to think they won't pull something equally or more infuriating involving my real name. The eSport was created in Korea because people became professionally competitive about it. Blizzard wants to get rid of established star craft leagues and run everything themselves, or profit by selling licenses to. I understand what you've said about the story line, but that's what expansions are for, and they have confirmed they will be 3 full priced games.

July 27, 2010 2:57:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I suspect Starcraft II will go on to sell tens of millions of copies.  It's incredibly polished and features some of the most dedicated online support ever for a video game.  It lacks in quite a few areas though, such as truly new ideas or in-game community support, but ultimately it'll replace Starcraft as the dominant Rush RTS Game and as the poster child for eSports.

Ultimately, it was designed to replace Starcraft rather than sit beside it, so the fact that it's designed to place the complete control of it's multiplayer in Activision Blizzard's hands makes for a rather uncertain future.  Instead of unofficial ladders, tournaments and competitions, everything needs to be Blizzard-approved.  The complete lack of offline multiplayer functionality simply serves as a reminder that things have changed, and not for the better.  LAN was what made Starcraft the sensation it is today, and Starcraft still features amongst the games at all major LAN events.  The removal of that and hard-coded regional restrictions really destroys the community that made Starcraft what it is.  Coupled with the pricing structure, uncertain community map handling features (charging for the good player made maps?) and the Activision Logo on the box, it's hard to say if Starcraft II will as great as the fanboys will have you believe.  It'll be critcially hailed, commercially successful, however in twelve months time, when the next expansion rolls out, we'll see how things are looking.

I won't be buying the base game until the price drops, and judging from most Activision titles, that's twelve months.

July 27, 2010 3:25:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,
No matter how I try, I know I will never compete for the top spots.
I always play games for fun as primary objective, so meh to ladders, rankings and such.

The game will sell loads upon loads. Good or not, I'm still waiting for my copy from the UK to arrive. ¬.¬

July 27, 2010 3:29:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Pass.

July 27, 2010 3:35:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hopefully my copy shall arrive in the mail today . Then we shall have a constant battle as I strive not to finish work early for the day .

July 27, 2010 3:50:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Eh, I'm not going to pay $60 to find out what happens with Jim Raynor and Kerrigan (that's all I care about, frankly).

July 27, 2010 4:00:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I totaly hope its some really dirty sex. Slimy even.

July 27, 2010 4:40:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Starcraft 2 vs. Elemental?  I'd choose Elemental.  It seems those two games are at the opposite ends of a spectrum, especially with regards to the (closed/open) attitudes of the companies that make them.

Best regards,
Steven.

July 27, 2010 4:52:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Spaghettimon

/sign

Plus Brother Laz raised some issues with regard to modding by amateurs. They might fix this or not.

No, I am not getting it. Activision, just say no.

A huge number of people will, though. The game for me will be checking the forums from time to time. Should be a riot!

July 27, 2010 4:55:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Once it goes on sale, as I'll probably only end up playing the campaigns.  Yes that sounds lame for an obvious multiplayer made game.  I played Warcraft 2 and Starcraft to my hearts desire back in college and such with massive competitions. The willingness to get that good at a game is unrealistic with my current lifestyle.  Life comes first

July 27, 2010 5:04:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Aractain,
I totaly hope its some really dirty sex. Slimy even.
JR evolves like a Pokemon/Digimon and joins K.

July 27, 2010 6:15:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

well got a guest pass from a friend .. only for 7 hours

July 27, 2010 6:55:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I hope they didn't invest too much in the copy protection...crack got released about midnight Eastern Time.

July 27, 2010 7:00:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting SpaghettiMon,

2nd nail sucks.  3rd nail is to probably avoid the shit demigod had on their release date.  I'd rather have a stable game and then go from there to see if cross region play would work out.

As for the money side of it.. you cannot expect a company to hand out incredible work for free.  The reason they can make amazing games, and they definitely have made amazing games, is because they have the money to do so.  They have incredibly high quality products because they watch and follow market trends, see where profits can be made, etc.  

July 27, 2010 7:20:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting SpaghettiMon,

I will not sign up for Battlenet until Real ID is removed completely from it. I don't trust them enough anymore to think they won't pull something equally or more infuriating involving my real name. The eSport was created in Korea because people became professionally competitive about it. Blizzard wants to get rid of established star craft leagues and run everything themselves, or profit by selling licenses to. I understand what you've said about the story line, but that's what expansions are for, and they have confirmed they will be 3 full priced games.

Actually they said the second two will be priced as expansions. This thing about it being priced as full games was something that the Internet made up and refuses to let die.

Using Real ID is also fully optional again.

I got it last night, and it's awesome.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000359   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.