The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Games that I miss

By on July 24, 2010 7:38:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wing Commander Series: The pinnacle of "Space Opera" solid combat and story. Never have I been so immersed in space.

Tribes/Tribes 2: The absolute most epic FPS game. Back when T2 hit we were running servers with 150 players! The jet packs, vehicles, massive massive combat all back before Youtube. 

SimCity: There hasn't been a new PC SimCity sequel in 7 years. Plop a city down in easy mode for a relaxing zen garden like experience, or crank up the difficulty and have a nail bitting session as you deal with fires and debt.

Early Bioware games that were top down

PC games in general are something that I miss. I like a little number crunching, learning the menus, hotkeys, and fiddling with .ini settings. Everything I've played in the last 3 years is either a console port, feels like a console port(streamlined derp), or is a short, sweet indie game.

+9 Karma | 67 Replies
July 30, 2010 5:52:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Star Trek Judgement Rites was my first real pc game.

August 2, 2010 7:28:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I had a lot of great times with Tribes 2 and Mechwarrior 4. Bought both games on a whim, which is a very unusual thing for me to do, and I've never regretted it. The recent free release of MW4 with all the community mods is all kinds of win.

I know the Tribes Next people are still running Tribes 2 servers, but for some reason I just couldn't get back into it. The community is too different; almost everyone is a hardcore never-stopped-playing-even-after-ten-years uberskilled veteran, and the last time I looked nobody was running any of the awesome mods I remember playing back in the day.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is another old game that deserves a remake. All the fun of Civilization with a sci-fi flair and random philosophy lessons sprinkled throughout. I recently started playing again after having read Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy, and it's like I'm reliving an alternate version of that story. There aren't many games I could describe as "intellectually engaging", and this is one of them.

August 5, 2010 1:44:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've come to the conclusion that I no longer want remakes. Just a couple of years ago, I constantly thought that "I want a remake of Deus Ex" and "I want a remake of Baldur's Gate" - things like that.

But the industry is so different now and everyone that owns those names are apparently blatantly incompetent, with no understanding of what made those games awesome, or how to recreate them. It seems like the developers haven't even played the games they want to "recreate" - or, they want to "shake it up a bit" or "make it "my style"" (*cough*Star Trek 2009*cough*)

I "miss" so many great games that it's hard to even remember the names of half of them. But Settlers, Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire, Deus Ex, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate/II/ToB, Jagged Alliance 2, X-Com: Apocalypse all rank pretty high for me. They're not the oldest of the good old games, but that era really was top notch if you ask me. Other games I have loved are Ultima, Wizardry 8, Eye of the Beholder, the entire Westwood's Command & Conquer series, Syndicate, Sim City 2000, and many, many more.

I actually have a basic Baldur's Gate Remake Design Document Draft lying around somewhere.

August 8, 2010 4:19:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ogre!

This remains one of the best sci-fi tactical wargames ever made.  I am really surprised no one has done an update/tribute game yet. 

I also liked its unofficial offshoot, Omega:

In Omega, you got to build the Ogre (I suspect Frogboy would love the game as you also got to program the AI for each of your custom creations!  The game used some sort of easy to understand script language that made it kinda fun to actually write code!). 

Both computer games were from the ever clever, Origins.

August 8, 2010 9:35:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

August 8, 2010 9:41:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I "miss" so many great games that it's hard to even remember the names of half of them. But Settlers, Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire, Deus Ex, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate/II/ToB, Jagged Alliance 2, X-Com: Apocalypse all rank pretty high for me. They're not the oldest of the good old games, but that era really was top notch if you ask me. Other games I have loved are Ultima, Wizardry 8, Eye of the Beholder, the entire Westwood's Command & Conquer series, Syndicate, Sim City 2000, and many, many more.

That's a pretty good list for me.... Guess I could add Lords of Magic SE....Did you mean the Serf City settlers? that was my favorite of the series.  And for some reason I am a sucker for the Phantasmagoria games.

August 8, 2010 9:57:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting SwerydAss,
That's a pretty good list for me.... Guess I could add Lords of Magic SE....Did you mean the Serf City settlers? that was my favorite of the series.  And for some reason I am a sucker for the Phantasmagoria games.
Both Settlers 1, 2 and 3 are pretty alright, but I was thinking of Serf City, yes.

Unfortunately, I never got into Lords of Magic or Phantasmagoria.

August 8, 2010 11:53:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting 4Nana,

Tribes/Tribes 2: The absolute most epic FPS game. Back when T2 hit we were running servers with 150 players! The jet packs, vehicles, massive massive combat all back before Youtube.
omg.. I loooooved Tribes.  loved loved loved.  Played up until 2007... but the very few good players who remained dwindled and quit completely when I did :/

Tribes was such a good game that simply mentioning it makes me want to install it again and have a go. Oh, the good old days! 

August 9, 2010 12:55:30 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

the world needs more sim city games.  A true sim city 5 is just so needed. (socities doesnt count)... and sim city 4 was touched by EA games.  (I mean, come on! math people! the entire region is about a 10 mile square! IT SHOULDNT TAKE FOREVER FOR MY SIMS TO COMMUT.... never mind.)

It was already mentioned, but Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan masters.... amazing. Definatly needs a (true) sequal.  I have this installed on my flash drive... heh.  http://sc2.sourceforge.net/  Man, Its so dated (no mouse!), but the story makes it so worth while.  I like good stories in my video games.

Outpost 2. http://www.outpostuniverse.net/   The game play was meh, and slow.... but, man... Talk about a story.  No game has given me such horrible nightmares and wonderfull dreams.  The campain is mostly worth playing so that one can read the unfolding chapters in the 2 books that are unlocked after every mission one finishes.  I have yet to beat either campain on hard.  i should do that...

allegiance. (http://www.freeallegiance.org/)  wow.  it burns me that such an amazing concept has completely died... its like a cross between a RTS and a space fighter sim... amazing.  Heh, and people complain about learning curves... I havent desided if its true or not, but the community that runs what is left of this thing says it rivals Dwarf Fortress.

Dwarf fortress. I dont understand how... sure, its not really an old game, but its work mentioning... considering it plays like an old game (very limited mouse control)... but the complexity! What has happend to games complexity!  I mean...  I have,... THe manuel for CiV3... vanilla.  and... here is the manuel for Age of Empires 2... and countless other ENORMOUS manuels... and then compare that to the manuel size of thier sequels.  the BOX that CIV4 complete editon came in is dwarfed by civ3's manuel.        /sigh.

Red Storm Rising.  heh... one of the time periods you get to play in this game.... 1993... woops, ussr doesnt exist anymore... hahaha... oh man, what an amazing submarine warfare sim...

sim games... i guess I already mentioned sim city... but what about Sim farm, sim ant, sim... everything.... Sim copter... simcopter.... wow... hehe... my first cheatcode... superpowermultiply.....

I could go on, and on... all these amazing games... and the obvious ones you all mentioned... oh, what ever happend to games...  

August 9, 2010 1:24:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I also miss the classic x-com games.. (and I am not looking forward to the x-com shooter ) Hell if these games just got a graphic update they would still be a great game... (i have a real hard time going backwards that far on graphics heh)

August 9, 2010 2:34:28 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I miss Roller Coaster Tycoon, pretty much all the good tycoon games, as opposed to the bargain bin ones that still get pumped out. Sim City, pretty much all the good city-builder games I miss too.

August 9, 2010 9:08:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Twohawks,
I also miss the classic x-com games.. (and I am not looking forward to the x-com shooter ) Hell if these games just got a graphic update they would still be a great game... (i have a real hard time going backwards that far on graphics heh)

Check out this game called "Xenonauts", Twohawks. I've had my eye on it for a while now. It's shaping up to be what looks like a really awesome X-Com Clone. It has both land and sea and air battles. It looks like it's going to be a "Upgraded" X-Com compared to the original games. The only original X-Com game that I would say comes close to having the complexity of Xenonauts would be "Apocalypse".

Xenonauts

August 9, 2010 8:46:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Pbhead,

Red Storm Rising.  heh... one of the time periods you get to play in this game.... 1993... woops, ussr doesnt exist anymore... hahaha... oh man, what an amazing submarine warfare sim...

You might like this:

Red Storm Rising Remake

You might also want to check out Dangerous Waters.  It's a bit old at this point (2006), but it still is an excellent naval sim.  I just wish Ubisoft would create a Silent Hunter modern sub sim game.  Then again, now that they have that awful DRM, who cares?  I wouldn't buy it anyway. 

August 9, 2010 9:01:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Raven X,

Quoting Twohawks, reply 60I also miss the classic x-com games.. (and I am not looking forward to the x-com shooter ) Hell if these games just got a graphic update they would still be a great game... (i have a real hard time going backwards that far on graphics heh)

Check out this game called "Xenonauts", Twohawks. I've had my eye on it for a while now. It's shaping up to be what looks like a really awesome X-Com Clone. It has both land and sea and air battles. It looks like it's going to be a "Upgraded" X-Com compared to the original games. The only original X-Com game that I would say comes close to having the complexity of Xenonauts would be "Apocalypse".

Xenonauts

Thanks Ravenx that does indeed look very interesting .. I will keep my eyes on it..

August 9, 2010 11:28:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Twohawks,

Thanks RavenX that does indeed look very interesting .. I will keep my eyes on it..

Glad to help, my friend. If Xenonauts pans out to have half the options the devs are talking about it's going to be the most in depth X-Com clone in existence. It's right up there on my list with Elemental of games I MUST own.

August 10, 2010 1:37:30 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

September 12, 2010 5:58:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Warlords

Bard's Tale

Defender of the Crown

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000906   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.