The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

ability to filter players who can join custom games

By on May 27, 2010 3:24:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

findapollo

Join Date 02/2007

I've only had the game a week or so and have played 5 hours in multiplayer and probably 3-5x that much in singleplayer.  I'm a noob, and I'm okay with that.  I want to play online because AI seems to be getting repetitive quickly.  The computer always behaves the same whereas real people never do.  However, I don't really want to play with experts.  We get it: you've played hundreds of hours and are good.  Go pick on somebody your own level. 

Most people title thier custom games by the skill level: Noob, Mid/Avg, etc. but there is no way to enforce it and apparently nobody pays attention to it.  If there was a few options for the game host to set criteria on number of games, minutes played, overall rank, etc. of players allowed in it'd make it possible to actually get what you want.  I want to create a game for novices like myself and not get slaughtered by some guy that thinks it's funny that he can walk all over us.  I've looked up a few players online after a match and they've played for over 150 hours, yet joined a game asking for beginners.  It seems stats getting reset happens quite a bit which makes it possible for experts to pass themselves off as a beginner.  Or is it because it only shows number games played in last 30 days?  Maybe they don't play custom games and have just come from being bored in the Pantheon.  Who knows, they should not join games meant for novices but there's nothing stopping them.  Better yet, don't even display these custom games to them based off the criteria set by the host.

If it isn't feasible to implement player criteria for custom games, then at the very least, the player info panel should accurately portray the player.  Show us how many hours they've played.  Show their rank.  As it is now, the stats are almost useless if they aren't accurate.  While you're fixing it, add a few more stats.

I'm starting to see why there aren't that many people playing this game online.  It's not fun when you don't stand a chance.  Granted, I'm a noob, but I have the patience to try to get better.  I know a lot of people that wouldn't ever come back after something like a couple of the wipes I've fallen victim to.

And for all you elite players that are just laughing at me: You were a novice once, remember that.  And know that other online multi-player games and their communities are not like this.  You are acting like a child and need to grow up.  Respect the wishes of the game host and don't join if they're asking for beginners, or even average players.  In fact, just go play with yourself!

Locked Post 5 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 27, 2010 3:36:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Number of games played is from the last epic, which was set mid December. People will get smurf (secondary) accounts when Demigod goes on sale, however, to make finding games easier by having a lower # of games and therefore "tricking" people to play with you. 

The best way to enjoy playing this game is to get on lagwars. That is not only the best way to get games quickly, with people you know and can enjoy playing with, but you will also get MUCH better MUCH faster than by teaching yourself. Yes, you will be a liability and people will probably yell at you when you make mistakes but if you let them know before hand you are new they'll be nicer :3 

You'll need to download Ventirlo (google it) and here is the server information:

Oxygen.typefrag.com.

May 27, 2010 3:50:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would hope that people aren't laughing at you.  Agreed on the part that we all started as noobs.  Unfortunately, many noobs get upset when I kick them from my games because they are below the skill level to compete.. I tell them that as well "we were all noobs once.. it's nothing to be ashamed of," but some of them still take offense and are upset that I kick them

I would suggest monitoring the overlay with stats a little more.  If people are joining noob games with over 200 games and 50% (like MikeTheL) they don't belong there, and you should ask the host to kick them.  If you can't get the host to do this, just host your own noob games and monitor it yourself  

Also, I would suggest watching replays of good unclean beasts (seems to be your character of choice).  You can find these by going to gamereplays.org/demigod/ and clicking on the replay button then selecting member replays.  Personally I would suggest watching the following game and watching Orcun-.  http://www.gamereplays.org/demigod/replays.php?game=51&show=details&id=125187&st=0#post7252874
He plays one of the best unclean beasts in the game, and you can learn a lot from his build, item selection, and what he does on the map.  

To watch the replays, click the "download" button, then you need to put that saved replay in your replay folder.  To find your replay folder, go to C:\Users\"Your Username"\Documents\My Games\Gas Powered Games\Demigod\Replays\findapollo.  Once you have it in that folder, open demigod, go to replays, select it, and watch  You can change the view to any player on the map to see it from their point of view, you can pause it to give you time to see what items there are, you can slow it down or speed it up depending on interesting / uninteresting moments.

Anyway, hope that helps, and have fun playing!

May 28, 2010 8:08:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

RAWRRR-  I tried to watch that replay, but get a critical game state error 50 seconds into it.  I knew about replays, have watched my own before and they work fine (aside from the display bugs with replay of course).  I tried downloading a few others from that site to see if it was just a problem with that one and I can't see any of them in the replay section at all.  Also, I was the host of the game that upset me and should've booted MikeTheL but I think he was the last to enter and everybody had been waiting.  I will definitely check people out better from now on.

OMG-  Thanks for the suggestion on lagwars, but I don't think I'm ready to get that involved with the game.  I just want to have some fun.  I've used Ventrillo for our guild in Guild Wars, so it's not that, I just will probably never take the game that serious.  Plus, I don't think I'm all that bad of a player, just not great yet.

May 28, 2010 9:03:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

weird about the replays not working for you.  Just tested that replay myself and it worked for me : /  Dunno what to tell ya.

May 28, 2010 9:22:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ya, the whole replay system seems really buggy.   hope they get that fixed in next patch.

btw, from what i could tell of first minute of that replay i have started to learn to stay back by my defenses more.  my biggest problem is I get greedy when I think I have a demigod but either get shocked by towers or another demigod sneaks up on me.

anyway, win/lose, I don't think I care as much as I did a few days ago.  I'll get better with time.  hope to be able to face u someday (probably not).  haha

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time: