The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Revive DemigodDB?

By on April 21, 2010 7:14:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hi Everyone,

No one probably remembers me or http://www.demigoddb.com anymore, unfortunately shortly after I got it up and running I got a job working fulltime (and then some) as a web developer and quickly lost the free time I had to update the site.

Anyway, my question is, as I have fallen out of touch with the Demigod community essentially for the last year, I wanted to know if there was still a need for such a calculator if it was updated and improved (or has someone else since made a better system)? I am also interested in the demand for such a system as I hear this game unforunately has not prospered as well as I would have liked when it first came out, are there still people that would appreciate me improving the site?

The reason I ask is the domain name is soon to expire and I feel no need to renew it unless the site has an actual need and demand that would justify me taking the time to update it and keep it current now that my workload has reduced and my free time has returned.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this thread, it was a joy being with you guys a year ago (despite the constant networking complaints )

+47 Karma | 53 Replies
April 21, 2010 7:54:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.

Your website was very helpful when I was just starting out. I personally don't really need it anymore but others might so I'm not gonna delve into that discussion.

But I just wanted to tell you how amazing you are and how wonderful the site was. I wish I was as talented as you.

April 21, 2010 7:55:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just heard about demigoddb through the Tyranny of Evil something like 2 weeks ago and it was a factor in my buying Demigod.  It has helped me become more familiar with the game. 

I'm not sure of it's popularity since the Demigod game seems to have long plateaued.  I refer to it here and there and find it helpful.

April 21, 2010 8:03:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thank you for your kind words, I am not totally proud of the hap-hazard coding behind it, but I am rather happy with the way it functionally came out, I'm happy that you found it useful

Quoting GM-NinkiCZ,
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.

Your website was very helpful when I was just starting out. I personally don't really need it anymore but others might so I'm not gonna delve into that discussion.

But I just wanted to tell you how amazing you are and how wonderful the site was. I wish I was as talented as you.

April 21, 2010 8:06:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thank you so much for putting the time into Demigoddb!  It was an invaluable resource when I was learning to play...

As far as keeping the site, you should spend your free time and money elsewhere.  The developers never seemed all that enthusiastic about supporting this game and what little effort they were putting into supporting it seems to have completely dried up.  The publishers don't do much anymore but vaguely hint that there might maybe perhaps be an update in the future where they might possibly be able to have Gas Powered Games universally institute a community developed fix for most of the games bugs.

There haven't been too many meaningful balance changes since you last updated the site, and any beginners can be quickly educated on the few viable item choices in the game nowadays so there's really not much point in updating the information on the now useless Heart of Life yknow?

So... sadly the game is dying.  Some may disagree with me, but its my opinion that there is a community organized tournament going on that has a number of people returning to the game that had previously quit playing it.  When its over, I think they'll go away again which will make it harder to get a game going for those of us left... which will cause more of us to quit playing... which will make it harder to get a game going... well, you get the idea.

Edit:  Sorry if this game out all negative... not trying to be a troll, just trying to point out that there wouldn't be much point in updating the site at this point in the games lifespan.

April 21, 2010 8:07:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Greatest theory-crafting website for Demigod in existence. You sir, have singlehandedly created the Bulbapedia of Demigod. It is a great shame to this community that you only have 17 karma. You absolutely deserve +1 from every player of this game.

April 21, 2010 8:17:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Indeed.  Really glad for all of the work you put into Demigoddb.

April 21, 2010 8:32:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No, it was very helpful. I think I will at least renew the domain as it seems the site is still useful in its current form. I may look into how much work it would be to add the new demigods and balances etc before deciding on whether or not to update the site, getting it current shouldn't be too much work if the mechanics of the game remain mostly the same. It seems many of my planned features (I can't even remember what they all were) are probably not worth the time investment involved. Time will tell I suppose

Quoting Thundercles,

Edit:  Sorry if this game out all negative... not trying to be a troll, just trying to point out that there wouldn't be much point in updating the site at this point in the games lifespan.

April 21, 2010 8:32:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The site is great.  We remember you and you rock.  Thundercles might be right, but if you are feeling generous updates would be awesome. 

April 21, 2010 8:59:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you don't want to keep it up I'll take it over.  I host a bunch of sites anyway so what's another $8.88 a year.  I'd also like to update it for oc+da.

April 21, 2010 9:12:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That webpage is awesome.

That said, I use demigod.wikia now for my information on Occ and DA. It would be simple to port it over, I think.

April 21, 2010 9:15:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That said, I use demigod.wikia now for my information on Occ and DA. It would be simple to port it over, I think.

Sure, the information would be th easy part. But look at all the images he has to go get and all the linking and javascript he has to do   It looks like a lot of work to me. (even with a WYSIWYG like Dreamweaver)

April 21, 2010 10:01:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Your's was by far the best site.  Awesome work and a great demigod learning aid.  Thank you for your contribution.

April 21, 2010 10:19:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree; fantastic site.  If you'd update the site to reflect the current changes, I believe we'd all be appreciative

April 22, 2010 12:13:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Your kind words have inspired me to take a look tonight. I'll have to load up Demigod, get my head around all the LUA again, remember what on earth I was thinking when I coded it the first time, etc. I will also have to check through all the fix updates etc to try and work out what exactly has changed in the last year or so to try and update everything. If it's just a matter of updating and adding new data it shouldn't be too difficult from memory the system was fairly good for all that, the main wall I seem to remember running into last time was I got a little carried away with the theory crafting and was adding things like minion and tower specs etc, pretty cool but required some pretty massive reworking. 

April 22, 2010 12:31:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We are rallying around DG and really appreciate contributions to the community.  I've personally used your website MANY times.  Thanks for all your hard work again!

April 22, 2010 1:29:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'll add my note of appreciation to your work on creating the website. Before I started looking at the .lua it was my main source for information.

I'd also like to make a counter offer.

So, given that you've looked at the .lua and have written the javascript to create the site, you've demonstrated a decent amount of coding ability. Would you like to come help out making bugfixes for Demigod?

So far the UberFix has found and repaired over 20 flaws in the current version of Demigod, and we hope to make more. Another coder is always welcome. Frogboy has said he will try to get it incorporated into an official Demigod patch.

Plus working on the Uberfix is the key to success, I can't even begin to count my huge boost in fame, the number of women who through themselves upon me, and the huge financial success that I gained by working on the UberFix.

April 22, 2010 1:50:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting gm-magnus333,
If you don't want to keep it up I'll take it over.  I host a bunch of sites anyway so what's another $8.88 a year.  I'd also like to update it for oc+da.

Huh, you know how?! I didn't know you had such talents.

April 22, 2010 2:24:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The mods are written in Python these days? (No modding existed back in my day) My language of choice is usually PHP, however I do have some experience in Python, it was pretty easy to pick up from memory. I will think about it, I am not sure if I have enough time that I can guaranty to such ventures, with Demigoddb if I suddenly become busy at least I am not really effecting other people. I actually considered working on the UberFix when I saw the work you have guys been doing, but I think I will wait before committing to ensure I'm not just going to up and disappear on everyone again.

That said it looks like my current code for DemigodDB is fairly horrible and I can probably redo it in a couple of hours (Who knew you could improve so much in a year) which will make extending it now and into the future far easier. I have actually already started and it will make it really easy to add saving of profiles and swapping between or comparing profiles which are features I thought would be nice to have but the old infrastructure never supported. I plan to get just what is currently up working, along with any item/ability changes and the new demigods as my first port of call. If I get all that done I can see about adding new functionality. 

April 22, 2010 4:00:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I reckon thunder is way too negative.

But I also wanna thank you for your great work.

From what it seems demigod turnament will be regular event in our comunity. Also there is quite large amount of new gamers joining in (just look at the number of noobs only games hosted especially during the weekend) who will really find this kind of tool usefull. Not to mention when patch 1.3 (hopefully) will come out soon we gonna have to rethink our strategies again .

I would also suggest adding profiles based on strategies guides posted on this forum. Something like scroll button with:
Kestrel Oak

Hedgie sedna

Thunder TB

that will show what skill to pick and what items needs to be buyed.

April 22, 2010 4:12:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I actually haven't posted a Sedna guide.

That said, I have actually written about 1k words on a guide so far and I've been working on compiling replays and strategies to make it as comprehensive as possible. I'm hoping to get some more replays with the tourney. 

April 22, 2010 4:23:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think you should update the page, if you find the time . Btw. if you need financial assistance for your site, you could make a little donation button there. I am sure at least some people would gladly support your effort with a few Euros or Dollars .

April 22, 2010 4:27:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The modding is done with the .lua code that is contained within the dgdata.zip. It is a fairly straightforward language. The nice thing about the UberFix is that every patch is pretty much separate from every other patch. Even contributing one little fix is enough to help out. We'd really appreciate your help if you decide to help out. The current bugs, the todo list, and some basic introduction to modding are all available in the UberFix thread in the modding forum.

April 22, 2010 5:35:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hi UhelligGudn,

it would be amazing if you could update demigoddb . I also tried to contact you a half year ago or so if you could do such, but my tries werent successfull. I tried it via http://www.backwardshypothesis.com/contact/ .I guess we all would really appreciate an updated calculater, so if u find the time you would make many people very happy.

Thx man for showing up again, best greets da micro.

p.s. in the time when ur site was up-to-date, it was a must for me to plan my build and setup before i started the game...i really miss those....

April 22, 2010 7:53:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am getting my head around my old code and currently in the process of rewriting big portions of it, I have already got the items and such working with brand new code which vastly simplifies how everything works and my code is far nicer to understand at the moment. I wrote DemigodDB without understanding Objects or Binding in JavaScript (It's a wonder I got it to work at all), so the difference here is like Night and Day for anyone that understands JavaScript.

Once I have finished cleaning up the code and rewriting portions I will get cracking on adding the new Demigods and fixing items/abilities that have changed so far to get the site up-to-date. After that, who knows what will happen, this is my small tangible and obtainable goal for now.

Rediculous Features That May Or May Not Ever Be Added Depending On Demand:

- Save/Share Builds

- Compare/Swap between different builds

- Far more advanced calculations in terms of the calculator, factoring minions, towers, etc

- Ability to include proc'ed or activatable item and abilities effects rather than just passive ones.

- Ability to turn a build into a guide, allowing the user to attach replays and text to their build, perhaps even the functionality to have the abilities page have a "show build order" button, and then each ability will pop up in order of level, or simply just provide a list of the order the abilities were picked when the build was made which is displayed to the user.

- Anything else I can think of or is suggested.

Quoting Spooky__,

I think you should update the page, if you find the time . Btw. if you need financial assistance for your site, you could make a little donation button there. I am sure at least some people would gladly support your effort with a few Euros or Dollars .

Financial support isn't really the issue, I just didn't want to fork out the money for the domain if I really didn't need to. It's a fairly low traffic site, not very expensive to run.

Quoting Ptarth,
The modding is done with the .lua code that is contained within the dgdata.zip. It is a fairly straightforward language. The nice thing about the UberFix is that every patch is pretty much separate from every other patch. Even contributing one little fix is enough to help out. We'd really appreciate your help if you decide to help out. The current bugs, the todo list, and some basic introduction to modding are all available in the UberFix thread in the modding forum.

I'll consider it, I will have to get re-accustomed with the LUA to make the updates to DemigodDB anyway, we'll see how long my motivation lasts.

Quoting Microstar,
Hi UhelligGudn,

it would be amazing if you could update demigoddb . I also tried to contact you a half year ago or so if you could do such, but my tries werent successfull. I tried it via http://www.backwardshypothesis.com/contact/ .I guess we all would really appreciate an updated calculater, so if u find the time you would make many people very happy.

Thx man for showing up again, best greets da micro.

p.s. in the time when ur site was up-to-date, it was a must for me to plan my build and setup before i started the game...i really miss those....

Yeah, the blog I used to run quickly got over taken by spam bots and such and I lost interest etc it wasn't a very good blog I've had a few PM's here on this forum about it also however I really never had the time or care to follow them up unfortunately. I appreciated peoples wanting to help but the code is fairly complex, and it wasn't very well written so I wouldn't really want to pass it on to anyone to help out anyway.

I found your thread about wanting me to update to 1.2, I feel bad now that you were all waiting for a reply that would never come. Alas, at least I found it now, hopefully your wish will come true soon enough.

April 22, 2010 8:28:42 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

- Save/Share Builds

If you are interested in doing this, I think you already have a great single resource.  One of the community modders built a mod called the skirmish ai mod in an attempt to fix the crappy ai.  In doing so, he had to specify various builds in his code for both abilities and items (if I remember correctly).  I think he created his builds based on community feedback, so there should be some good examples in there anyway. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000422   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.