The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Locked Post

April 2010 2v2 Demigod Community Tournament - Rules and Registration

By on April 6, 2010 10:46:04 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

DG Community - we are in the process of organizing a Demigod 2v2 tournament.  This tournament is open to all that would like to participate, but does require that you follow this thread for updates, etc, as the majority of the communications including brackets will be published here. 

This thread will provide the latest tournament rules, 2 man teams that have registered, and individuals that are looking to be a part of a team but do not currently have a partner.  If you'd like to participate and don't have a team, indicate so here.  Then, make efforts either in this thread or via pm to form your own team. If you are unable to form a two man team, don't worry.  All of the individuals that have indicated that they'd like to participate and were not successful at forming a 2-man team will be randomly placed into teams on the cut off date.

REGISTRATION IS CLOSED

Tournament Rules:

• You may only select characters as indicated in the grid below:

• Each match in the tournament will be the best 2 out of 3 games
  • All matches will be played on cataract with default settings (the only exceptions being AI HP on Very High and AI Gold/XP on low)
  • After teams are formed, they will be randomly placed into a bracket to determine who will fight who.  Everything will be random initially in round 1.  In the following rounds, the winners from one game will play the winners from another based on location in the bracket starting from the top on to the bottom.
  • Each team will play 1 round on light side, then 1 round on dark side.  If there is a 3rd round, the team that had the fastest win in game 1 or 2 gets to pick the side they want to be on (keep in mind the following rule).  
  • The team that is on the dark side must pick their characters and ready up first.  Then the light gets to pick and the dark side does not have a chance to adjust their characters. 
  • To track your wins, you must do the following - post the replay at gamereplays.org.  If you have issues with gamereplays, upload the file to rapid share and provide us with a link.  Also, provide a link to the match in the pantheon and let me know if its a win or loss.  The winning team should do this for each and every match.
  • UberFix 1.02 must be used (https://forums.demigodthegame.com/374315) UberFix is a mod that simply fixes many of the bugs in Demigod.  Check the modding forum for everything that is fixed by UberFix 1.02. 

How will we handle crashes:

If there is a game crash, the players involved in that match should see if they can come to a consensus on the probable outcome of the match.  If there is no clear winner, the 2 teams should replay the match using the exact same demigods and sides (light/dark).  If there was a clear winner at that point in the game, then that team should be awarded the win.  If the 2 teams disagree on the outcome, a third party will review the replay of the match and render a decision.  Be aware that the 3rd party must agree that a specific team was going to win or the results will be thrown out and the match redone.

How we will handle invalid game states:

The lastgamereplay file is still created in the event of an invalid game state, so it is still possible to review the results of a match.  In the event of an invalid game state, players should attempt to resolve the issue exactly the same way as game crashes.  If you believe foul play occurred, submit the replay along with any screen shots, etc, as evidence and we will review.  If there is a CLEAR consensus that a team is willingly triggering invalid game states, that team should be disqualified after a thorough review of the facts. Please be reasonable, though.  We all know that Demigod has its bugs and its still pretty easy to encounter an invalid game state even if no one has intentionally triggered it.  If your game does crash, it might be advisable to take a screen shot of the crash as proof.

Also be aware that we know invalid game states can occur without any foul play.

Prizes:

Outside of prestige in our small community, there is also a cash prize thanks to community contributions.

Currently, the total amount pledged for this tournament is $199.95.  Of that $199.95, I have received $99.95.  If you would like to contribute to the pot, please pm me and I'll get you the needed info to send me a payment.  If individuals do not come through on their pledges, I will not be personally covering the difference.  My goal is to collect the pledged amount before the tournament starts and I will be providing updates as I receive the pledged money.

Please thank our contributors and consider contributing to the prize yourself.

Bracket: 

Round 1a/1b results are here:  http://forums.impulsedriven.com/380837

+161 Karma | 508 Replies
April 7, 2010 9:20:49 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

McGreg - Like brandon said, I'm planning on having a range of days for people to get their matches in.  I certainly don't have any problem if we provide like a Friday-Monday as the range for round, so you should be able to participate.  I'll add you to the list of individuals participating without a team.  Let me know if you manage to pair up with anyone here. 

April 7, 2010 9:39:46 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ok - back to the rule discussion side of things (and feel free to register and sort out your teams here as well):

I'd like us to tackle one of the rules that needs a little tweaking and come up with something better.  Here are the rules in question:

• Each team will play 1 round on light side, then 1 round on dark side.  If there is a 3rd round, then teams can decide for themselves (keep in mind the following rule)
  • The team that is on light must pick their characters and ready up first.  Then dark gets to pick and light side does not have a chance to adjust their characters. 

My question is what is the best way to handle the 3rd round, if there is one?  I also think that in rounds 1 and 2, the team that is on DARK should have to pick their characters first (I have the rule currently written as Light must pick first).  It's not as bad in 2v2's, but because of the map layout, there is a slight advantage to dark because the gold mine and health flag are in the same lanes.  So, I think because dark side has that slight advantage, they should be at the slight disadvantage of having to pick their characters first.  Anyone disagree with that line of thinking? 

Anyway, back to what I was saying about the 3rd round - anyone have an idea on what's fair?  Perhaps we could simplify and say that whoever won the 2nd match gets their choice or either the side of the map or can decide who has to pick their demigods first. 

Oh - and I should add that if this tournament goes well, there's a 90% chance we'll be able to get a follow up tournament sponsored with a cash prize. 

April 7, 2010 9:58:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I know that many of the guys already signed up play together a lot, so I'm sure you have your reasons, but as an outsider eager to sign-up, this is my two-cents worth:

I agree with Hedgie. Forcing one player to choose DA, TB or Reg essentially forces the other player to choose Oak, LE or UB. And since your teammate has to play an assassin, you pretty much have to play Oak or Erebus. The team that picks first can't risk not playing Oak or LE, in case the other team does, and since they have, then the second team has to take one to counter. It pretty much eliminates UB, Rook, Sed, QoT and Occ from the tourney.

A simpler solution would be only one Tier 1 DG. Or heck, no Oak, LE or UB, if you really want to force people out of their comfort zones and see some variety. But I think the current format will only see a few viable teams: Oak/ TB, LE/ TB, Oak/ Reg and LE/ Reg. (DA players will scream about this, but in 2 on 2 he is much less ganktacular and really loses a lot of his effectiveness.) I would personally place my money on the winning team being Oak/ TB or LE/ TB, as those have the most lane control capability and entire-game effectiveness.

All that said, Chiefy01 and I will play regardless of the rules, cause any Demigod is good Demigod. 

April 7, 2010 10:24:00 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

All that said, Chiefy01 and I will play regardless of the rules, cause any Demigod is good Demigod.

Nice - consider yourselves registered.  The rules regarding team selection are still up in the air, but we certainly need to come up with an agreement before too long - preferable before registration closes next week. 

edit - Also - GREAT!  We have 5 teams officially registered now.  Keep em coming.  Still waiting on the good folks at GM to tell me what their teams will be (that will bring us up to 6 registered teams). 

April 7, 2010 10:33:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I really would like to play, but i cant play, if the tournament itself is on the weekend 17.04, 18.04 or 19.04

Do u know when the tournament will happen?

And is there somebody that wants to play with me? hrhr (totally out of training)

Greetz Greg

McGreg - let's hook it up. 

Pacov - sign me up as a free agent for now, and if McGreg is feeling it we'll move over to team status

April 7, 2010 10:40:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

DEAL!!!

Ke5trel + McGreg =

meh, meh, meh

Nice then we should play a few matches before to get to know each other again and i need to get into the game again too;)

btw something that is overdue +1 Karma to Pacov

later

April 7, 2010 10:40:56 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Adding Ke5trel to the free agents.  Let me know if you guys form a team!

edit - sneaky - getting a reply in before i saw it.    Adding you 2 as a team.  Good deal!

April 7, 2010 10:44:14 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ok - 6 registered teams + 1 more likely from GM.  Keep em coming.  GET OFF THE FENCE PEOPLE.  Register - the tourney will be fun!

April 7, 2010 10:45:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for organizing pacov. It's good to see some people still take this great game seriously.

Also, please, please, please lets keep the (starting) dates during that third week of April. As a teacher, that is school vacation week, and if Cheify and I are going to have any shot against all you top-100 guys, I'm really going to need to be in the groove.

April 7, 2010 10:45:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oops. Double Post

April 7, 2010 11:33:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

cool cool, glad that's set. 

So now that I'm in this thing:

Team selection: KISS (Keep It Simple Sedna)

Saying your team has Reg, DA, or TB is a good first tournament rule.  Maybe we can branch out from there with future events, but the simpler the better to start, imo.  While the default might be Oak/TB or Erb/TB I really wouldn't discount UB/DA or Rook/Reg, for example. 

In any case, this is something we should set in stone soon so people can get their builds up. 

3rd Game side choice:  It should be something less obvious than who won game 2, but I'm not really sure what.  Maybe one of the less obvious achievement modifiers like Buildings or Reinforcements?  Or even just highest combined favor score across game 1 and 2?

April 7, 2010 11:56:02 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

In any case, this is something we should set in stone soon so people can get their builds up.

I completely agree (which is why i wanted to be inflexible on that rule), but some seemed quite opposed to the original concept, so I'm willing to entertain ideas.   The sooner we decide the better.

April 7, 2010 11:59:14 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

oh - and if i were to randomly generate teams right now out of the individuals that registered without a team, this is what would happen (these don't count, btw):

Team Name
xXxXxAchillesTGxXxXx
Awuffleablehedgie

Team Name
Zen_God
Teseer

Team Name
Maccilia
haxthias

Team Name
Maxsteel32
SmokingBalrog

Team Name
passfail
tacoguy1

Team Name
Synnworld
prozombe

Team Name
brandon_varn
Thundercles
April 7, 2010 12:09:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I think I missed this: are Awuffleablehedgie and thundercles a team now and should be added?

April 7, 2010 12:32:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Whoever won either game 1 or 2 in the shortest time gets to choose their side for game 3.

April 7, 2010 1:11:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Another possibility for the character selection issue would be to add some general choices, at least QoT, and maybe Sed or Occ? That way, if player one is corraled into a certain few DGs, at least player two then doesn't HAVE to choose a general to be competitive. That would make UB and Rook more viable as the second option. Even adding QoT would increase the field of options greatly.

April 7, 2010 1:25:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OmicronLyrae indicated he'd like to participate and I think is going to see if kalel will team with him.  Addeding Omi to the free agents for now.

April 7, 2010 1:46:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

K I'll get off the fence and find a teammate tonight or somethin

April 7, 2010 2:36:14 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ok - adding you to the free agents list for now.  Let me know when you get a teammate locked down. 

edit - I modified a rule so that the team on dark must always pick their demigods first and cannot change them (it was written that light had to pick first). 

I'm still looking for input on a fair way to decide how round 3 should go (who picks first/what side, etc).

edit - I really think this tournament will be a blast.  The fact that we have rules that acknowledge stability concerns with demigod in the form of crashes and invalid game states is going to be huge, imo.   How great is it to know that odds are, you won't be disqualified from this tourney because your computer crashed 5 minutes into a game.  What a lousy way to get eliminated. 

April 7, 2010 2:37:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

There will be a cash prize > $63.99

April 7, 2010 3:06:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,
OmicronLyrae indicated he'd like to participate and I think is going to see if kalel will team with him.  Addeding Omi to the free agents for now.

HE'S BAAAAACK,

April 7, 2010 3:14:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,
There will be a cash prize > $63.99

Cool, how did you manage to get that?

April 7, 2010 3:16:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,
I think I missed this: are Awuffleablehedgie and thundercles a team now and should be added?

Yes. Put us down for that. It's up in the air if we'll actually get to play or not, but it's not completely impossible at this point. 

April 7, 2010 3:18:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ok - I will lock you guys in.  If it doesn't work out, then whoever ends up against your team will simply advance to the next round. 

April 7, 2010 3:23:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting BadDaddy8,
Another possibility for the character selection issue would be to add some general choices, at least QoT, and maybe Sed or Occ? That way, if player one is corraled into a certain few DGs, at least player two then doesn't HAVE to choose a general to be competitive. That would make UB and Rook more viable as the second option. Even adding QoT would increase the field of options greatly.

My tier system just that. It enables Rook and UB to be paired with Queen which is:

1- not a weak combination to begin with

2- I see it being able to combat an Erebus + TB team (Rook + Queen would probably have a rough time against Erebus + TB, but w/e). 

Right now there are really 3 "good" combos: Erebus + TB, Oak + Reg, Oak + TB. I think the last one will be the most common. I mean, that's fine and all, but still. My system enables 11 roughly equally competitive teams (moving Occ to 1.5 and TB to 2.5 would make 10 since it would get rid of Sed + Occ combinations, which might be "too" good, iono). 

I do agree, we need to get this moving. But KISS really just means "Play Oak + TB" which gets boring :-/ 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001141   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.