The currency of Elemental

By on March 21, 2010 4:49:36 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

It’s time to name the currency in Elemental.

The Random House team has come up with rigma which we like a lot.

An alternative would be gildars.

But if someone has a really cool name we’ll consider it.

Locked Post 232 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 21, 2010 10:39:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

double post.

March 21, 2010 10:41:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The suggestions by the OP seem fine to me, I honestly don' think it matters. My own suggestion would be Attero. I support the ability to name your own currency, and it'd purely a cosmetic feature, of course. Factions having their own currency would make sense as well, as long as the different currency has a 1:1 ratio at all times....I don't want to have to take inflation into account in a TBS fantasy game.

March 21, 2010 10:40:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Rigma reminds me of the armor Nigma from D2

March 21, 2010 10:42:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd think that due to the post apocolyptic setting and the natural scarcity of precious metals that money in game is actually an abstraction of produced labor and wealth. Precious metals would be unlikely to be used and it seems more like any wealth would be based on luxery goods and man hours of labor.

I suggest we call currency in the game "Minutes" seeing as there would be no specific currency between kingdoms and they were thinking about letting us use in game money to buy time.

EDIT: Or whatever unit of time you'd think would best fit the economy.

March 21, 2010 10:46:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I really think Gold is fine. Or else something like Ducats, or the like. And if Gildar, why not just Guilders?

Don't like Rigma at all, though.

March 21, 2010 10:48:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

aww..I was gonna say Florin!

March 21, 2010 10:54:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I suggest we call currency in the game "Minutes" seeing as there would be no specific currency between kingdoms and they were thinking about letting us use in game money to buy time.

But currency is still needed in some form so i guess money would come from something that is still comman to come across and you will need to pay for people for work as well as taxing them for other things. so really it would be fair that gold would grow back up in value since it is a rare metal and there would be fewer people with it as empires start to grow in size and power,

Rigma sounds fine but it would be nice if we would be able to name our own empire's currency but then we would go down the path of Currency trading... which would be an unwanted game mechanic. So something that can be used for all races and empires would be of easy use to the game.

March 21, 2010 11:05:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Laydes----lay-duhs------

What if all the empires had different currencies and depending on the number of gold mines you have your currency would be worth more or less depending on the empire you are comparing to. This would make things a bit different when making some deals. But realisticly like they had any idea of a currency system based on stocks or gold back then

March 21, 2010 11:07:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting KillzEmAllGod,
But currency is still needed in some form so i guess money would come from something that is still comman to come across and you will need to pay for people for work as well as taxing them for other things. so really it would be fair that gold would grow back up in value since it is a rare metal and there would be fewer people with it as empires start to grow in size and power.
Really gold is only valuable because someone says it is. We could possibly go really old school and go with split tally sticks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tally_stick

March 21, 2010 11:13:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

i think the first real currency that was used to be a specific currency over a country were certain seashells in china correct me if im wrong lol off topicness

March 21, 2010 11:14:32 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Really gold is only valuable because someone says it is.

Gold is a rare metal unless its the most comman in elemental, really comes down to how comman it is and how hard it is to get.

March 21, 2010 11:17:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Myrunes.

March 21, 2010 11:40:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How about calling them Naggaroks?  There was a Cataclysm in Elemental after all.

All right, in all seriousness I like them being called Gildars.

March 21, 2010 11:43:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like Rigma, Gildar sounds too "Princess Bride"-ish.

March 21, 2010 11:43:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I do like the simplicity of Crowns.  It's been used historically by a number of countries, because it just refers to their monarch.  Each kingdom/empire of Elemental would have their own Crowns (with their own sovereign's ugly mug stamped on it), so it would make sense for them all to have the same name.

Then again, I suppose if you want to use a made up name, you can just say it means "Crown" in one of the languages of Elemental.

Hey, speaking of our soveriegn's ugly mugs, it would be a nice touch if somewhere in the GUI (like any sort of economics screen) it showed a little gold coin for your kingdom with your sovereign's image stamped into it.  You could just take the image/pose from his info card.

Superficial, I know, but it would be nice.

March 21, 2010 11:54:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like "Dinar" as a name for a currency.  Gilder is ok. Less enthused about Rigma.  Also think "Sovereigns" could be good.

March 21, 2010 11:55:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Cauldyth,
Hey, speaking of our soveriegn's ugly mugs, it would be a nice touch if somewhere in the GUI (like any sort of economics screen) it showed a little gold coin for your kingdom with your sovereign's image stamped into it.  You could just take the image/pose from his info card.

Superficial, I know, but it would be nice.

Actually, I like this alot.

March 22, 2010 12:01:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree that Dinar and Dinarii sound good. I think Denarii was used in Rome:Total War

March 22, 2010 12:23:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like the idea of the currency actually meaning something, either in real life or written it with Elemental fluff.

The Koku:  The koku was originally defined as a quantity of rice, historically defined as enough rice to feed one person for one year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koku

or.. you could sell out .. do some in game advertising.

That unit will cost  you 40 Pepsi..... I don't suggest using coke as a unit of money.. as it could send the wrong message. 

March 22, 2010 12:50:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Rigma sounds fine. If I read it a fantasy novel, I wouldn't blink twice about it. Gildar is too typical

March 22, 2010 12:51:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Rigma? Is that short for rigmarole? It's a terrible name.

March 22, 2010 12:53:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My vote for a currency name is Sovereign. I always like the sound of it.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of different currency names for each faction. Might be really cool if the economic balance of the factions determined which currency was dominate; i.e. once more than 20% of the global economy was by a certain faction, the global currency would that faction's currency.

March 22, 2010 1:04:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Second 'gold'. It should be abstract enough that it can apply to any game. Unless this is for the novel.

March 22, 2010 1:50:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm in favor of a more generic term for currency.  Gold,piece, or gold pieces are fine IMO.

March 22, 2010 1:57:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Isn't there any name used in the books ?

And I really like skael.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001422   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.