The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Locked Post

I'll Never Buy GPG Again

By on March 3, 2010 11:40:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm very dissapointed in how quickly Gas Powered Games gave up on Demigod. In my opinion, they didn't even try. Once Demigod was done, they just moved on to several new projects and didn't give the kind of baby sitting and support this kind of product demanded. The obvious signs of GPG's short comings are highlighted by a smaller, yet more successful take on the genre by Riot Game's League of Legends. But even Riot isn't quite giving the game everything it needs, but they have a considerable advantage in support because it's their one and only flag ship title. GPG suffers from a complete lack of interest in their own game, which makes me very sad.

I really would like GPG to just sell Demigod to someone who will actually continue support of the product and produce new content to bring the game back to life. It still has potential and possibility, but all of that remains simply 'What if' until someone actually devotes a lot of resources into finishing Demigod. I keep my eye on this game, but honestly I haven't played in nearly a whole year because of lack of interest from the game's developer. If they don't care, they should just give it up to someone who does.. and I don't mean simple 'Mod Tools' either, I mean fork over 'everything' even the IP.

Just my random thoughts. But the fact still remains, I'll never buy GPG again. Then again, this was the first GPG I bought since Dungeon Siege, which suggests that GPG didn't have much of a track record on my pocket book in the first place.

+70 Karma | 53 Replies
March 3, 2010 12:19:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

HAHAHAH

GPG Gave us TWO Demigods FOR FREE. That is $200.000. Yeah...

League of Legends COPIED DOTA then cashed in. 

March 3, 2010 12:23:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Giving up the IP entirely may have tax and business consequences that would be too costly to make the transfer beneficial. Although I would like to think that entities like GPG exist so that we can play the best games available, they are ultimately beasts of burden to the living market. You are right, in my opinion, that they gave up on a game that has so much potential and was ultimately unfinished or at best, unpolished.

But, to suggest that they would benefit from selling their control to their property, even in the face of complete absence of continued sales, is naive.

March 3, 2010 2:17:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting lifekatana,
HAHAHAH

GPG Gave us TWO Demigods FOR FREE. That is $200.000. Yeah...

League of Legends COPIED DOTA then cashed in. 

I thought Stardock paid GPG for those two demigods.

And since the lead developers of DoTA now created LoL you can't accuse them of copying.

However, lifekatana accidently revealed why DG won't stand a chance to LoL, a fact that GPG probably realized: A Demigod costs them $100.000.

I suspect a new LoL champion is substantially cheaper (well, they are also of considerably lower quality in every way, but as long as they sell ...).
Even if GPG would switch their sales model to the free-to-play-plus-shop model LoL embraces, they'd never be able to churn out demigods as fast as LoL can do champions.

And since Stardock messed up the initial release, there's no large enough customer base to make further support feasible.

March 3, 2010 4:15:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree with topic author.
I play League of Legends more often, because of better game support. When bug is found, Riot repairs it as fast it is possible, and releases new champions often. I know, LoL isnt full game like Demigod, but i would be more happier when u repair disconnects and crashes instead of adding Demigods.

March 3, 2010 6:49:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Aroddo,
...And since Stardock messed up the initial release, there's no large enough customer base to make further support feasible.

Stardock didn't mess anything up. If you must play the blame game, it falls back to GPG. They simply released the game before it was ready. Stardock fixed the issues post-release, however the damage was clearly done by then. You're correct though; Demigod simply doesn't have the player base to make additional content cost effective - even paid DLC.

Hopefully, as Demigod did sell quite well, we'll see a Demigod 2 in the future. Hopefully they'll learn from the mistakes of the first one and release a superior-in-every-way sequel. However, judging from Supreme Commander 2's alterations compared to the first one they'll probably just turn it into a DotA+Zoom.

March 3, 2010 7:18:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Is it just me or would you guys like to trade the $100,000.00 Rocket Cow and the $100,000.00 Just Another Squishy Assassin for a genuine effort to fix the balance issues and the bug issues?  So much time and effort... yet had a fraction of that time and money been used to even up the items and skills of the original DGs, it would have given the game 100X the variety that DA and OC brought.  

Can't wait for SC2 to come out... and I'm talking about the Blizzard game, not the game that was just developed by a company that has to be begged/threatened/blackmailed/bribed by their publishers to give half-assed support their product.

March 3, 2010 8:35:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Thundercles,
Is it just me or would you guys like to trade the $100,000.00 Rocket Cow and the $100,000.00 Just Another Squishy Assassin for a genuine effort to fix the balance issues and the bug issues?  So much time and effort... yet had a fraction of that time and money been used to even up the items and skills of the original DGs, it would have given the game 100X the variety that DA and OC brought.  

Can't wait for SC2 to come out... and I'm talking about the Blizzard game, not the game that was just developed by a company that has to be begged/threatened/blackmailed/bribed by their publishers to give half-assed support their product.

I'm glad its not you, because I like rocket cow.

March 3, 2010 9:02:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yea i love rocket cow

March 3, 2010 10:23:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Um, where did this $100k per dg figure come from?  That sounds completely ridiculous to me.

March 4, 2010 1:42:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Stardock didn't mess anything up. If you must play the blame game, it falls back to GPG.

well... that's not entirely true.  It seem like us old school fellows are all chiming in, so why not.  Stardock has messed PLENTY up with Demigod and public relations.  We've generally been put in the category of hardcore DG players (read:  players of DG that haven't quit due to techincal difficulties). 

I'll just tackle 1 single point.  SD handles QA for the GPG patches of DG.  SD's QA team doesn't really do much QA.  That may offend some at SD.  Perhaps, after release, their QA was just making sure that patches would go live at the expected time, but if there was any build testing, it was pretty weak. I can get as specific as needed if there's any disagreement.  But let's be quite clear - on the QA piece, all SD had to do was go back to GPG and say, "the build you gave us (1.20.147) on impulse that reported "Oculus: Brain Storm clears negative effects."  does not work.  Please fix this."  They didn't even do that as made clear by their current release.  And how long would that single item of the changelog from 1.20.147 take to test?  2 minutes. Tested by me.  I can even post this now and they won't/or can't get GPG to release a free update so that the changelog is correct.  Why?   Maybe because they had their opportunity for a free fix when they were supposed to do QA... maybe not.  Why exactly couldn't someone from QA take the 2 minutes needed to make sure that item worked?  Why couldn't someone from QA take the 2 hours needed to ensure that EVERYTHING in the changelog for 1.20.147 worked?  Because.... demigod must not be a priority.  And that, my hardcore demigod fans, is a true and realistic statement.  SD and GPG both run businesses and it frankly isn't worth it to them at this point to add new content, fix a minutia of bugs, etc.  I love the game and I'll keep playing for some time. I'm grateful that GPG chose to make this new IP.  It has been one of the best games I have played in my entire life.  Its also been the worst game I've played, but only due to techincal issues.

I even bought Supcom2, but I bit my fucking lip while I did it.  I'm actually upset a bit that I bought from GPG again.  Demigod has left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth for both GPG and SD.

How much money would it cost SD to incorporate the bugfixes (that's right - BUG-fixes) found by the community as added in the uberfix mod into the actual game?  I'm guessing too much is the thought.  And maybe they are right...

BUT - all that negative aside.  The CEO of SD did step in and play the crap out of the game and even drove several enhancements that we all appreicate.  The easiest to mention is changing the gold value for AI down to low and setting HP to high.  Granted, the real reason for that being great is because people often crash or disconnect when playing demigod, but its a great (probably the best) enhancement we ever received to DG (imo).  We've even got modding now so that we can fix the problems and add new some new content (no maps, but much better than nothing.  MUCH!).  And that's because someone at SD chose to get involved and make DG better. Brad took the time and a game we love is all the better for it.  It'd be great if he took the time again and lobbied for us, but to be honest, it doesn't make much fiscal sense to do that.  I wish demigod was called galciv 2 somedays though.

March 4, 2010 1:55:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Stardock didn't mess anything up. If you must play the blame game, it falls back to GPG. They simply released the game before it was ready. Stardock fixed the issues post-release, however the damage was clearly done by then. You're correct though; Demigod simply doesn't have the player base to make additional content cost effective - even paid DLC.

Hopefully, as Demigod did sell quite well, we'll see a Demigod 2 in the future. Hopefully they'll learn from the mistakes of the first one and release a superior-in-every-way sequel. However, judging from Supreme Commander 2's alterations compared to the first one they'll probably just turn it into a DotA+Zoom.

NO. Wrong again.

Stardock messed up(and made up for it), they got a third party program to do the netcode and failed to test it properly. THis was not GPG's fault. 

March 4, 2010 2:00:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Stardock didn't mess anything up. If you must play the blame game, it falls back to GPG.

Who handled QA for the GPG patches to Demigod?  If there was a problem, it was SD's responsibility to request a new build.  That's the system those 2 companies setup.

March 4, 2010 3:07:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting lifekatana,
Stardock messed up (and made up for it), they got a third party program to do the netcode and failed to test it properly. THis was not GPG's fault.

All Development choices rested with GPG. Stardock was brought in late in the development cycle. They did the best that they could with the time that they had available to them. GPGNet wasn't available for use for Demigod, and so the only option was a third party solution. I don't believe RakNet's failing is Stardock's fault.

I'll agree that the Beta testing was a joke, however. I read back over the Beta threads from before release - a lot of stuff was either ignored or simply placed in the 'Too Hard' basket at GPG. For example, nearly every Beta tester was North American, which is why the Netcode's failing weren't picked up until release. That's just bad decision making. For a multiplayer centric title, especially for a company that's never done one before, a large scale closed Beta is essential. Shit, I'd probably have gone with an open Beta.

Quoting pacov,
Who handled QA for the GPG patches to Demigod?  If there was a problem, it was SD's responsibility to request a new build.  That's the system those 2 companies setup.

Oh, I agree. However, GPG not fixing something isn't Stardock's fault either. You're basically blaming the messenger for the content of the message. I agree that Demigod as a whole could have been handled better in nearly all regards, however I think the most at fault are GPG. As I said, if we must blame someone, I don't think we should be throwing the blame on Stardock - their post-release support has given us what we have today, not GPG's. The fact that Brad was posting as much as possible to ensure that as few people as possible left the community at release when the shit hit the fan shows me that Stardock's commitment to Demigod simply didn't match GPG's.

March 4, 2010 3:36:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

GPG not fixing something isn't Stardock's fault either. You're basically blaming the messenger for the content of the message.

Who handled QA for the GPG patches to Demigod? If there was a problem, it was SD's responsibility to request a new build. That's the system those 2 companies setup.

edit - if i tell you I will check your work and don't, is it your fault?

Also I'm really fing pissy because I'm working at 4am here for my job...

March 4, 2010 5:36:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree with most of what pacov said.  That Oculus issue is also a sticking point for myself.  I remember logging on every day and I would see "Frogboy's 3v3 Oculus Fun" games hosted several times a day for a few weeks, back before he was released.  Brad personally put a lot of time into testing Oc and I really can't understand how something that took Ptarth (sp?) a matter of minutes to fix via a mod never made it into the final build.  Did Brad really not notice that the mana restore talent didn't remove debuffs after dozens of games specifically testing him out?  Did GPG really care so little about supporting this game that they couldn't spare a single programmer a few minutes to fix it?

Was it intentionally changed after the fact for gameplay balance reasons and the tooltip never got updated?  This would be the most excusable option but still, someone really didn't take the time to update a tooltip?

I'm the type of person who stands behind my product 100%.  I take pride in what I do, and I feel as though if I do a good job and focus on my work, the money will come (and it does).  Unfortuantely most of these gaming companies reside in the US where the more common goal is to put the aquistion of money before all else.  Do as little work as possible for as much money as possible until the people/country is bankrupt seems to be the running ideal here. 
Anyway, congratulations GPG, you made a game you can't really be proud of but your bank accounts are sitting pretty.  Primary mission accomplished.

March 4, 2010 7:20:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm sorry to hear you say thgat Orlean. I know you were one of the people looking forward to release back in the beta. 

And I never got to play with you

March 4, 2010 8:15:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

All Development choices rested with GPG. Stardock was brought in late in the development cycle. They did the best that they could with the time that they had available to them. GPGNet wasn't available for use for Demigod, and so the only option was a third party solution. I don't believe RakNet's failing is Stardock's fault.

Well I have limited information about this, but GPG's netcode is fine(see Supcom). RakNet failed, and SD should have known.

March 4, 2010 8:45:50 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Stardock messed up(and made up for it), they got a third party program to do the netcode and failed to test it properly. THis was not GPG's fault.

Okay guys, I have to interject here.

How many times in the history of game publishing has the PUBLISHER been responsible to provide/handle the netcode?  It never ceases to amaze me that people don't ask this question.

I am not at liberty to go into details but you have no idea how insulting it is for someone to lay the full responsibility of netcode issues in Demigod on Stardock.

We get the blame because WE (Stardock) stepped up to try to solve a problem that was not of our own making.  Every time you see someone say "Stardock should have done this" bear in mind that Stardock is the North American publisher and ESD distributor of Demigod. Atari is the one with worldwide retail distribution and GPG is the developer.  We saw problems and we stepped in to try to help. You don't want to know what the alternative would have been.

I point this out because it gets very old, after everything we did to try to help Demigod and the community to have people blame us for every perceived issue they encounter simply because we stepped in to help.  It's like blaming the fire department for the fire.

Stardock spent more on Demigod's post-release support than it spent on the ENTIRE budget of Galactic Civilizations II (both initial development and post release support).  

Did Brad really not notice that the mana restore talent didn't remove debuffs after dozens of games specifically testing him out?

Of course I noticed. And again you guys make so many assumptions that you have no idea how frustrating it is to sit back and not comment on some of this stuff.  If you think our QA didn't report these kinds of things you're mistaken. 

It's a case of being stuck between a rock and a hard place.  How many times would I post "Patch this week" only to have BBQ'd when it didn't come out on time? And why was that? Because QA would find something that should take seconds to fix in LUA and assume that the next build would fix it.  Then the build would come in and it would still be broken and eventually we'd just have so much pressure to release it by the community that we would do so.

*I* was the one who asked for the cleanse feature for Oculus's mana restore ability.  So you can be damn sure that I was painfully aware that it didn't remove the debuffs.  How many times did we delay the release of Oculus (and each time having the fans screaming for blood)? Eventually you just have to release the thing.  It's March and it still hasn't be officially fixed.

I want to be clear, GPG is a good company. They're my friends. And I think they did the best they could with Demigod under the circumstances they were operating under.  And I'm glad, that despite Demigod's technical challenges, that the game has done pretty well.  But fundamentally, our business models aren't terribly compatible.  

Our model is to release a title and generate revenue from it over a long period of time through free updates.  GPG has the more traditional model of a AAA game studio where their income is generated via publisher advances on new titles.  That's why GPG went on to SupCom2 and why they're pushing Kings and Castles so hard right now (they are looking for publishers to pay for its development). 

I am hoping that GPG will release more updates to Demigod. And I will be lobbying them to let us include fan made updates with the game.  

Demigod's support isn't at an end. There WILL be more Demigod updates. I promise you that even if I have to do LUA updates myself.

March 4, 2010 9:32:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Here's the thing I'm struggling with, GPG owns the title to the intellectual property underlying the game. Any R&D done on the game will be a massive tax deduction (regardless of what country it's done in) toward gains to the income of the company. But I don't think GPG can deduct the money that SD spends on R&D and I don't think that SD can deduct the money that it spends if it can't attribute any of its gains directly to the R&D (meaning it needs to hold some beneficial title to Demigod.)

So my question is, why wouldn't GPG be more incentivized to release an update to go against their income than SD who is only going to get minor marketing expenses capitalized into their company because they are only saving face?

GPG is missing a huge opportunity to save a lot of money. And SD is just throwing money after money.

March 4, 2010 12:30:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Okay guys, I have to interject here.

How many times in the history of game publishing has the PUBLISHER been responsible to provide/handle the netcode?  It never ceases to amaze me that people don't ask this question.

I am not at liberty to go into details but you have no idea how insulting it is for someone to lay the full responsibility of netcode issues in Demigod on Stardock.

We get the blame because WE (Stardock) stepped up to try to solve a problem that was not of our own making.  Every time you see someone say "Stardock should have done this" bear in mind that Stardock is the North American publisher and ESD distributor of Demigod. Atari is the one with worldwide retail distribution and GPG is the developer.  We saw problems and we stepped in to try to help. You don't want to know what the alternative would have been.

I point this out because it gets very old, after everything we did to try to help Demigod and the community to have people blame us for every perceived issue they encounter simply because we stepped in to help.  It's like blaming the fire department for the fire.

Stardock spent more on Demigod's post-release support than it spent on the ENTIRE budget of Galactic Civilizations II (both initial development and post release support).  

Did Brad really not notice that the mana restore talent didn't remove debuffs after dozens of games specifically testing him out?
Of course I noticed. And again you guys make so many assumptions that you have no idea how frustrating it is to sit back and not comment on some of this stuff.  If you think our QA didn't report these kinds of things you're mistaken. 

It's a case of being stuck between a rock and a hard place.  How many times would I post "Patch this week" only to have BBQ'd when it didn't come out on time? And why was that? Because QA would find something that should take seconds to fix in LUA and assume that the next build would fix it.  Then the build would come in and it would still be broken and eventually we'd just have so much pressure to release it by the community that we would do so.

*I* was the one who asked for the cleanse feature for Oculus's mana restore ability.  So you can be damn sure that I was painfully aware that it didn't remove the debuffs.  How many times did we delay the release of Oculus (and each time having the fans screaming for blood)? Eventually you just have to release the thing.  It's March and it still hasn't be officially fixed.

I want to be clear, GPG is a good company. They're my friends. And I think they did the best they could with Demigod under the circumstances they were operating under.  And I'm glad, that despite Demigod's technical challenges, that the game has done pretty well.  But fundamentally, our business models aren't terribly compatible.  

Our model is to release a title and generate revenue from it over a long period of time through free updates.  GPG has the more traditional model of a AAA game studio where their income is generated via publisher advances on new titles.  That's why GPG went on to SupCom2 and why they're pushing Kings and Castles so hard right now (they are looking for publishers to pay for its development). 

I am hoping that GPG will release more updates to Demigod. And I will be lobbying them to let us include fan made updates with the game.  

Demigod's support isn't at an end. There WILL be more Demigod updates. I promise you that even if I have to do LUA updates myself.

To be honest Frogboy, Stardock has Impulse and GPG does not. So I suppose its much easier for Stardock to update games. Not only does Stardock have Impulse, but you guys have a huge ObjectDesktop section and your programs ship on retail computers. So I can understand why you can produce more updates than GPG can.

I still really felt the GPG/Stardock team worked well. I think you should do it again. Hell if I know if SupCom2 will ever get patches. Squeenix is a terrible publisher.

I appreciated the development Demigod had over the summer, but unfortunately Demigod's development story is a sad one, and didn't receive the full GPG treatment it deserved. It saddens me GPG can churn out SupCom2 with 20 maps, a full campaign, and 3 factions and Demigod shipped with 8 maps and 8 Demigods.

So... Demigod 2!

March 4, 2010 12:57:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I still really felt the GPG/Stardock team worked well. I think you should do it again. Hell if I know if SupCom2 will ever get patches. Squeenix is a terrible publisher.

The GPG/Stardock teamup was a huge success for both companies.  

The challenges of Demigod would make a good documentary really.  What happened behind the scenes is what makes it compelling.

Suffice to say that Stardock and GPG teaming up when they did was absolutely critical to Demigod having come together at all.

There are no villains in the story. Everyone worked with good intentions.

I would sum it up as simple as this: There is the Scathis and the Frogboy eras of Demigod development. 

And imo, the best analogy I would use is that Scathis wanted to make Avatar/Titanic on a Blair Witch budget. When I got involved, my job was to look at what was already there and work with Mike Marr over at GPG to take what was already created and make it into a fun game.

A more critical person would say that Scathis was a visionary and I am a bean counter. It is a criticism that I would accept as being true. I *am* a bean counter. I'm not an artist. I'm not visionary. I just like to play computer games.

Demigod was a successful game in terms of how well it sold. But I don't think GPG would call it a financial success because of how much money had been spent on it before Stardock got involved.

Were any of you in the Demigod beta from the start? Remember the state it was in? That was only 6 months from release. 

I want you to think about that for a second.

Beta 1 came out in September of 2009. It was released in April 2010. 7 months. And the first beta of Demigod was pretty rough. No multiplayer at all in that first beta -- in a game that was supposed to be primarily multiplayer.

Now go here:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165208

That article on Demigod is from January of 2008.  That's almost two years earlier and it was far enough to show screenshots of the Rook and giants and such.

So consider how much happened on Demigod in the 6 months after Stardock got involved versus the 2 years prior and then think about how expensive those 2 years were. 

That's why I think it's safe to say that Stardock and GPG getting together was a good thing.  Not every developer is cut out to self-publish. There has to be a bean counting bastard involved somewhere and that ultimately was my role.

With all that context now, hopefully things make more sense.

March 4, 2010 1:29:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Another thing that seems to be forgotten here, is just how much the community knows.

Much of the interaction between SD & GPG is information that is not available to us. This is good thing.

The analogy is often made that you "never want to know what goes in a sausage", it is actually worse than that. Consider how many people eat hamburgers, but are yet disgusted by the idea that someone kills a cow to do it.

Letting the public know about the interactions between two divisions of a company, let alone the interactions between two companies is a recipe for disaster. The community (you can generalize this to the population) is always ready to explode  about things. Amusingly enough, this is expected.

In Psychology there is a Theory called the Fundamental Attribution Error. The theory states that when a person does something that  turns out bad, most often the reason is that something out of their control caused them to fail. This is perhaps most poignantly  displayed in an online gaming analogy. If you get killed in a game, the reason is the other guy cheats. On the other hand, when interpreting the actions of another person, the reason for failure is most often internal. An example of this is: Stardock's QA service  failed to fix these bugs, therefore SD's QA service is bad.

Now, we don't know anything about the internal state of Stardock's QA team. Nor do we know very much about the internal state of how SD and GPG work together. If you have ever worked on a complicated project, you know that things are often driven by the scale and momentum of a project. Often as not, things crop up that were unexpected, and these things determine a large portion of how the project ends up. It is no different for SD and GPG than it is for Capcom or EA.

Consider this, how do you think XXX would have supported Demigods (XXX removed to reduce flaming, you can figure it out if you want to)? Do you really want a game that rootkits your machine, is completely unsupported from day 1, and is disowned by the company shortly after release.

Now, at this point, someone is probably going to bring up Blizzard (or a similar company). With an argument like, SD should be more like Blizzard. Blizzard's support of WoW is really good. I'd like to address this by asking a few questions of my own.

1. Blizzard makes how much per day in subscription fees with WoW?
  2. Blizzard takes how long to fix bugs that were in WoW since day 1?
  3. Did you actually play WoW for the first year and visit their forums?

SD doesn't have the budget to spend on the game, especially since they are only the North American publisher for Demigods. Have you seen how much Atari has recently contributed to Demigod development? Blizzard
takes forever to make obvious changes, just like any other company. It isn't that they hate the game, its that these things take time. As for the stability and playability of WoW, go talk to Paladins that have played since beta. How often have you gotten to one-shot a world boss?

Summary

• SD isn't the bad guy here.
  • GPG isn't the bad guy here.
  • If you want things to be better, do something constructive, and don't just whine on the forums.

March 4, 2010 2:14:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

The GPG/Stardock teamup was a huge success for both companies.  

The challenges of Demigod would make a good documentary really.  What happened behind the scenes is what makes it compelling.

Suffice to say that Stardock and GPG teaming up when they did was absolutely critical to Demigod having come together at all.

There are no villains in the story. Everyone worked with good intentions.

I would sum it up as simple as this: There is the Scathis and the Frogboy eras of Demigod development. 

And imo, the best analogy I would use is that Scathis wanted to make Avatar/Titanic on a Blair Witch budget. When I got involved, my job was to look at what was already there and work with Mike Marr over at GPG to take what was already created and make it into a fun game.

A more critical person would say that Scathis was a visionary and I am a bean counter. It is a criticism that I would accept as being true. I *am* a bean counter. I'm not an artist. I'm not visionary. I just like to play computer games.

Demigod was a successful game in terms of how well it sold. But I don't think GPG would call it a financial success because of how much money had been spent on it before Stardock got involved.

Were any of you in the Demigod beta from the start? Remember the state it was in? That was only 6 months from release. 

I want you to think about that for a second.

Beta 1 came out in September of 2009. It was released in April 2010. 7 months. And the first beta of Demigod was pretty rough. No multiplayer at all in that first beta -- in a game that was supposed to be primarily multiplayer.

Now go here:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165208

That article on Demigod is from January of 2008.  That's almost two years earlier and it was far enough to show screenshots of the Rook and giants and such.

So consider how much happened on Demigod in the 6 months after Stardock got involved versus the 2 years prior and then think about how expensive those 2 years were. 

That's why I think it's safe to say that Stardock and GPG getting together was a good thing.  Not every developer is cut out to self-publish. There has to be a bean counting bastard involved somewhere and that ultimately was my role.

With all that context now, hopefully things make more sense.

you know what, all i can say is...i loved this game so fucking much. i still do but its so fucking broken...especially for us aussies...i PAID 100 AUSSIE FUCKING DOLLARS FOR THIS BROKEN GAME. i play league of legends and u know what iv recharged over 200 bucks on it,...u know why...cause i get bang for my fucking buck... its all good no villains in the story... u gotta be fucking kiddin me... at my job IF I DONT PROVIDE WHAT I AM MEANT TO I DONT GET FUCKING PAID. thats the bottom line... i did not get what i paid for...i got a broken down piece of shit thats had 10 patches difference to my cd that i bought with a stupid rook figurine and a poster... thanks alot GPG and btw star dock i see its not your fault maybe somone can send me a pm to explain but as it stands your name is attached with gpg on this and i WONT be buying any fucking titles with GPG or SD on it... ban me from the forum if you want i dont give a shit.. i defended this game for so fucking long i held so many aussies here as long as i could...and u know what ...all of us have gone to LoL we play some HoN but only because i have 18 accounts on there and its free...(community sux there)... but LoL is so much better with support i mean sure the graphix are PS 1 but you know what...the game play is fantastic it takes 1 second to get a game (2 mins at the most) and a game takes from 15 mins to 2 hours.

i am so fucking angry its just not funny... collectors edition my ass i should play frizbee with the cd...all u gotta do if u wanna win in this game is play UB OAK and Sedna and get sigils with hp stack and the games ur GG , QQ yes i will QQ more why because i paid 100 fucking dollars for 6 months of game play... THANKS ALOT GPG U MONEY HUNGY FUCKING PIECES OF SHIT, and star dock i might be wrong with u but im so fucking angry.

i still love the game..BUT ALL AUSSIES KNOW HOW FUCKING RAW OF A STICK WE COPPEDON THIS ONE.

p.s pacov u know me a bit so dont flame me for this shit cause u know what mate u can get games where as i would spend fucking 3 hours waiting then finally it fills 1 person leaves then they all leave. and im from west aussie so its even harder for me.

QQ <----with rage

March 4, 2010 2:28:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Whatever, MixMagic.

I'm going to hold you to that post you made about Demigod 2 as much as I do Society Frogboy =P

I really miss the sense of communication we got over the summer with Demigod. You don't get that with any other company. Demigod 2 would be incredible. I think both GPG and Stardock know exactly what would need to be done.

March 4, 2010 2:49:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,
Whatever, MixMagic.

I'm going to hold you to that post you made about Demigod 2 as much as I do Society Frogboy =P

I really miss the sense of communication we got over the summer with Demigod. You don't get that with any other company. Demigod 2 would be incredible. I think both GPG and Stardock know exactly what would need to be done.

comin from a american or euro who has no problems getting a game.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000610   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.