The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The Only Oculus Build You'll Ever Need

Red Moo Rising

By on February 18, 2010 6:20:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ke5trel

Join Date 02/2008
+118

It's almost not worth posting because it's common sense, and I certainly can't say it's "my" build, but I don't see enough respectable cows out there so I thought I'd post it.

Seriously, if you are playing Oculus another way it's probably because this is EZ-mode boring or something, but please don't try to tell me anything else works nearly as well.  

You don't really need a build order for this Oc, just remember two simple steps:

Step 1.  Put all skill points in active skills 1, 2, and 4

Step 2.  Do not put skill points into *anything else* until level 10+, at which point it really doesn't matter because you will be owning so hard even selecting morale won't hurt you.  (I max out the passive lightning aura and go sit mid with my grunts but YMMV)

In a normal game you will hit 15 more with Occ than with most other DGs.  Save at level 14 to max out skills 1 and 4.

Playstyle:  Imagine TB.  Remove his interrupts and replace them with a blink and monks.  Give him limitless mana (skill 4 + Plenor and Vlemish) and high health.  Now turn him into a lazy blind lightning cow.  Voila!  Now you know how to play this occ.

Do not melee Tier 1 DGs.  Melee is beneath you, especially since Occ has trouble targeting when enemies get too close (this is a bug, devs).  Learn to kite. 

You are the flag holder for your team.  Plant yourself on the Fort Flag early and level until your mana is endless and your health is respectable, then lock and go hunting at your leisure. 

Unless the game is a complete roll by your opponents or you are playing with a vicious TB you should have highest score on your team because you are killing most of the grunts, doing the most damage, knocking down the most buildings, and getting the most gold and upgrades.  If you aren't #1 on kills you should mosdef have top assists. 

Spam your three skills.  You get damage for blink at lift off and landing, so you can bounce on someone for double damage if you are feeling it.  Be selfish with skill 4.  Most players are just confused when you top up their mana, so best just to save it for yourself unless asked.

Equipment:

Start - Monks, mana pot

Curr 1 and Vlemish or Plenor (depending on playstyle)

The other one

Unbreakable Boots and Nimoth Plate

Nature's Reckoning

Standard TPs and locks and sigils throughout

*Nature's Reckoning + Chain Lightning + Lightning Aura is just effing salty.  Seriously, taste the rainbow.

Counters: Rook, Minions, Squishies

Countered by: some Erebus, some UBs.  Actually aside from gank teams I'm not sure this guy has a natural counter, what do you think?

Thoughts, comments?

Locked Post 47 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 20, 2010 5:47:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
In my testing Lightning Aura creates a small Lighting effect at the origin of the minion that successfully procs the effect. For melee units, this is a problem unless attacking Demigods (who are large enough to typically overlap the minion). For ranged units, the proc essentially never works, because nothing is close enough to the minion to be hit with it. In other news, the Uberfix fixes this and the lack of a shield animation for Oculus (both for the Orb of Defiance & Oak Shields). I also hear the main contributor is really cute.
February 20, 2010 6:09:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If oc had a stun I would be in love. He already does like 2k+ damage in 3 seconds and with brain surge ( the -20% cd thing) he can do it again and again AND its aoe damage. Lack of a stun and a strong single target spell like fireball is the only bad things.

April 28, 2010 9:05:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Synn is here, return of the king baby!

*the power of necro!*

April 28, 2010 9:39:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The build is a bit out of date at this point.  I'll wait til the tournament is over in case there are any Occs out there still using it, and then I'll update with, you know, the build you should have been using ^^

April 28, 2010 9:44:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

All I use is lighting- brainstorm- blast off really. If I am still able to play after I move, I will be using nothing but Oc until I can master him!

May 1, 2010 12:31:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting awuffleablehedgie,
I'm not saying that Occ has a weak level 10-14 or so. I'm saying his effectiveness starts to taper off beginning around that time and just gets worse and worse. Artifact stage of the game Occ is virutally useless (have you ever seen an Occ with Akshandor? it's hilariously bad, it's lost games before) and TB blows him out of the water in every way up to that point.

Lol maybe your Occ hedgie.  No I haven't seen an Occ with Ashkandor, because that's the worst idea I've ever heard.  I would love to see an Occ with Stormbringer or Bulwark of the Ages though.

May 1, 2010 12:44:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I LOVE Stormbringer with a passion.

I'll say with the Storm Bringer and lvl 15 lightning balls, life would be rough.

May 1, 2010 12:56:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

"
I'm not saying that Occ has a weak level 10-14 or so. I'm saying his effectiveness starts to taper off beginning around that time and just gets worse and worse. Artifact stage of the game Occ is virutally useless (have you ever seen an Occ with Akshandor? it's hilariously bad, it's lost games before) and TB blows him out of the water in every way up to that point.

He sure does, especially with tb's monks coming up be....oh wait.

May 2, 2010 11:49:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh god, if I'm against a Cow that has no monks, it's done son.

Too bad thats really rare. 

May 3, 2010 4:17:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Teseer,
Oh god, if I'm against a Cow that has no monks, it's done son.

Too bad thats really rare. 
Thats like a queen with no shield....but they both have happen before!

May 3, 2010 5:18:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well if Occ has monks you probably do as well :-/ Chain Lightning doesn't instant-kill monks until level 10, until then it takes a couple chains to do so (monks heal themselves) or 2 Level 7s. Rain of Ice kills monks too... Occ has the advantage of being able to summon once a fight but still. 

May 3, 2010 5:42:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well if Occ has monks you probably do as well :-/ Chain Lightning doesn't instant-kill monks until level 10, until then it takes a couple chains to do so (monks heal themselves) or 2 Level 7s. Rain of Ice kills monks too... Occ has the advantage of being able to summon once a fight but still. 
Not really, alot of generals in random pugs do not split up their monks.

May 3, 2010 5:53:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well thank god I only play gens in pug games!

February 29, 2012 8:07:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting LORD-ORION,
Skill 4 is not that good until the final levels when your mana pool stops growing.

King of Minotaurs is much more awesome early on.

6K life with 2 helms? Yes please.

I agree, this is the most difficult Occ build to manage against.

KoM Occ

Also, it's 6K HPs with THREE helms (9K mana) on cataract.
So yes please

Note: KoM Occ also quickly becomes BS Occ 2 levels later if you want

1) CL1
2) BO1
3) Save
4) CL2 + BO2
5) KoMI
6) Save
7) CL3 + BO3
8) KoMII
9) Save
10) CL4 + BO4
11) KoMIII
12) BS1
13) BS2
14) Save
15) Cl5+BS3
Endeavor to play with Occ's balls next I guess

Considering you'll probably never miss getting gold or xp from a creep wave, and you can push nearly anyone off a flag anytime you want, hitting level 15 in a game is also likely going to happen.

March 1, 2012 2:55:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I find it beneficial to trade early Blast Off points for minion pluses. Justification: a lot of dps later mid-game + great synergy with KoM (KoM 3 = +500 hp; +1000 mana; +30 wpn dmg); BO 1 is used as a cheap (550 mana) escape/movement option - that actually solves a lot of Occ's early game mana issues.

What I usually play is:

Starting items: BotF; Monks + Mana Pot

1. Chain Lightning 1

2. Blast Off 1

3. KoM 1

4. CL 2

5. Minions 1

6. KoM 2

7. CL 3

8. Minions 2

9. KoM 3

10. CL 3

11. Minions 3

12. Minions 4

13. Minions 5

14. BO 2

15. Minions 6

16. BO 3

17. BO 4

Gear: Demos, Minos, Vlemish, Plenor, Unbreakables, Nimoth, Hauberk, Orb of Defiance. 

March 1, 2012 7:11:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

King of minotaurs and brainstorm OC will eat this OC build.  And yes the non-grey animation for shield and orb is annoying.

Best oc on earth? I read a post called Oc-love? and I copy Running build. He has some 130 oc games.

March 1, 2012 3:17:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok, unless you get a lot of gold early leaving just 1 level in BO is what I always do, and then max it by 15 with CL. You don't have the mana to use it offensively early on and spamming CL is a far better choice to get some tower damage in both mid and lane side with the creep farm. So, I feel the points are better put into passives at an early stage.

Lucky BoTS is restricted to assassins eh??

March 1, 2012 6:21:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting doggu,
Ok, unless you get a lot of gold early leaving just 1 level in BO is what I always do, and then max it by 15 with CL. You don't have the mana to use it offensively early on and spamming CL is a far better choice to get some tower damage in both mid and lane side with the creep farm. So, I feel the points are better put into passives at an early stage.

Lucky BoTS is restricted to assassins eh??

Buy mana pots, or just don't use chain lightning to farm every single minion wave.  It's ok to kill them with auto attack sometimes then Occ has no mana problems.  You're insane if you wait that long to max blast, it should be full by 11 at the latest.  I know auto attacking creep waves is boring though, that's why I used to play amulet sometimes in order to spend my tp money on mana.

March 1, 2012 7:35:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting GM-McShane87,
Buy mana pots, or just don't use chain lightning to farm every single minion wave

Yeah fair call - I guess pots would solve the problem. I really just try to race to 15 with occ, as with da. Using chain when you take a creep wave mid really helps. The passives give me a bit more staying power in the lane without the mana burn, but yes the lack of dps without the cow fart is an issue with the build if the team fights start before you can adequately level. I used to build occ to max CL and blast first but I really did find the mana drain annoying. Kiting with aa/CL and waiting until later on to get really stuck into group fights seems to work better for me. This all depends on being able to hold the towers until mid to late game though...

March 3, 2012 9:04:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There are stronger and more situational effective builds. Just my 2 cents. And no word about the exploding balls booh

March 3, 2012 10:01:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

double jumpy Occ that damage!.. and especially good with some secret favour

March 3, 2012 10:08:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting oO-DreamCatcheR-Oo,
and especially good with some secret favour
there are no secret favors Botf the only favor for occ

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time: