The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The Only Oculus Build You'll Ever Need

Red Moo Rising

By on February 18, 2010 6:20:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ke5trel

Join Date 02/2008
+118

It's almost not worth posting because it's common sense, and I certainly can't say it's "my" build, but I don't see enough respectable cows out there so I thought I'd post it.

Seriously, if you are playing Oculus another way it's probably because this is EZ-mode boring or something, but please don't try to tell me anything else works nearly as well.  

You don't really need a build order for this Oc, just remember two simple steps:

Step 1.  Put all skill points in active skills 1, 2, and 4

Step 2.  Do not put skill points into *anything else* until level 10+, at which point it really doesn't matter because you will be owning so hard even selecting morale won't hurt you.  (I max out the passive lightning aura and go sit mid with my grunts but YMMV)

In a normal game you will hit 15 more with Occ than with most other DGs.  Save at level 14 to max out skills 1 and 4.

Playstyle:  Imagine TB.  Remove his interrupts and replace them with a blink and monks.  Give him limitless mana (skill 4 + Plenor and Vlemish) and high health.  Now turn him into a lazy blind lightning cow.  Voila!  Now you know how to play this occ.

Do not melee Tier 1 DGs.  Melee is beneath you, especially since Occ has trouble targeting when enemies get too close (this is a bug, devs).  Learn to kite. 

You are the flag holder for your team.  Plant yourself on the Fort Flag early and level until your mana is endless and your health is respectable, then lock and go hunting at your leisure. 

Unless the game is a complete roll by your opponents or you are playing with a vicious TB you should have highest score on your team because you are killing most of the grunts, doing the most damage, knocking down the most buildings, and getting the most gold and upgrades.  If you aren't #1 on kills you should mosdef have top assists. 

Spam your three skills.  You get damage for blink at lift off and landing, so you can bounce on someone for double damage if you are feeling it.  Be selfish with skill 4.  Most players are just confused when you top up their mana, so best just to save it for yourself unless asked.

Equipment:

Start - Monks, mana pot

Curr 1 and Vlemish or Plenor (depending on playstyle)

The other one

Unbreakable Boots and Nimoth Plate

Nature's Reckoning

Standard TPs and locks and sigils throughout

*Nature's Reckoning + Chain Lightning + Lightning Aura is just effing salty.  Seriously, taste the rainbow.

Counters: Rook, Minions, Squishies

Countered by: some Erebus, some UBs.  Actually aside from gank teams I'm not sure this guy has a natural counter, what do you think?

Thoughts, comments?

Locked Post 47 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 18, 2010 7:21:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Rook + Occ is a Tier 1 combination. They can decimate a tower from level 1. I'm not sure of, well, anything that can counter it.

His damage output at level 15 is insane with the pokeballs.

He's much more effective on Leviathan. He OOMs himself too quickly.

February 18, 2010 7:46:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

He OOMs himself too quickly.

Once he hits L5 that's less of a problem, and you can gear him mana and kite until mid-late.  I hear people saying Oc has no mana on Cata but I really haven't run into that issue

February 18, 2010 7:47:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ice tb and beast will eat rook and occ

February 18, 2010 7:51:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ice TB and UB have their secret monks for tanking, and Ooze works great against towers. I completely forgot!

February 18, 2010 8:43:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Rook + Occ is a Tier 1 combination. They can decimate a tower from level 1. I'm not sure of, well, anything that can counter it.

Don't take the sekkritz I tell you and put it all over the forums

February 18, 2010 8:48:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Idealopamp and I have been rawking games with Occ and Rook. It ceases to be your secret once I use it. To date, I've posted all of my secrets on the forumz.

BTW, Blast off and Chain Lightning are sort of like a ghetto version of Counterhealing. Goodbye, monks.

Occulus doesn't counter minions, though. Occ is too mana-intensive early game, and I can demolish most of the important towers by level 7.

February 18, 2010 8:52:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting awuffleablehedgie,

Don't take the sekkritz I tell you and put it all over the forums

Yah Occ is also really good with TB

February 18, 2010 8:54:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The problem with laning them together is TB needs the creeps with BotS, and Occ wipes them out too fast.

February 18, 2010 9:04:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

BTW, Blast off and Chain Lightning are sort of like a ghetto version of Counterhealing. Goodbye, monks.

Occulus doesn't counter minions, though. Occ is too mana-intensive early game, and I can demolish most of the important towers by level 7.

Silence...

February 18, 2010 9:25:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This stuff is bloody obvious to anyone who has played Occulus at least 3 times. Those are practically all of the secrets to playing Occulus. Nothing too surprising.

February 18, 2010 9:31:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Btw, does Sacrifice work? I heard it was bugged. It would be worth getting if it healed Occulus as well. Otherwise, it's useless.

(The lightning aura doesn't work, Kes. It's bugged if I remember correctly.)

February 18, 2010 9:40:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lightning Aura works. However, it works in a strange manner:

you would anticipate it would work so that creeps shoot lightning bolts at whatever they are attacking.

Instead, it makes a lightning bolt shoot from Occulus to the nearest enemy (when it procs, of course).

Sacrifice works, just a really bad animation for it D:

February 18, 2010 9:51:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Also, in my expierence Sedna abesolutely rapes Occ. If you're a Cloak of Night build blinking into my face for the double damage with Blast Off Silence rapes. If you're a Blood Occ you're having a harder time with mana.

You want to Chain Lightning me as I walk up to you? Okay, I'll just back away and let my monks heal. You used about a thousand mana to keep me off you for 5 seconds

February 18, 2010 9:58:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Finally, a funny thing I've noticed with Occ is that he actually has a really bad endgame. Regardless of his massive AoE attacks, he gets raped by creeps/minions endgame because he has horrific armor. He basically chooses to either oom himself killing them or go back to base due to lack of health.

His level 7-10 is flat-out terrifying. But I think that he starts to lose it compared to many other tier 1 and 2 demigods end-game.

February 18, 2010 10:10:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting awuffleablehedgie,
Lightning Aura works. However, it works in a strange manner:

you would anticipate it would work so that creeps shoot lightning bolts at whatever they are attacking.

Instead, it makes a lightning bolt shoot from Occulus to the nearest enemy (when it procs, of course).

Sacrifice works, just a really bad animation for it D:
I thoght a lighting bolt was suppose to come from the sky....

February 19, 2010 7:38:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

At a wuffle: When do we ever see endgame

Personally I like minitaur king better than the mana giving because of the extra mana it gives you and health not to mention dps which occulus needs.

February 19, 2010 8:48:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Skill 4 is not that good until the final levels when your mana pool stops growing.

King of Minotaurs is much more awesome early on.

6K life with 2 helms? Yes please.

February 19, 2010 2:48:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting matam,
At a wuffle: When do we ever see endgame

Personally I like minitaur king better than the mana giving because of the extra mana it gives you and health not to mention dps which occulus needs.

Minotour king is much more a liability then it is helpful late game, while magus rod, vhels helm, and brainstorm can easily lead to Oculus never ever running out of mana...ever, if used correctly. If you do go minotaur king it is best not to get nerserkers past level 10.

February 19, 2010 5:41:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

His level 7-10 is flat-out terrifying. But I think that he starts to lose it compared to many other tier 1 and 2 demigods end-game.

I'll agree with that.  It's not going to matter in most games but if it drags then Oc is in trouble against Carry DGs. 

...he gets raped by creeps/minions endgame because he has horrific armor.  He basically chooses to either oom himself killing them or go back to base due to lack of health.

OOM again.  Oc is the opposite of OOM - he's all MOO.  Get it?  Yay!

Spam the crap out of skills 1 and 4.  Use 2 tactically.  You have to have three major battles very close together to go OOM with this approach.  

I'm also not seeing issues against late-game grunts, but I'm usually supporting my own grunts who have parity.  YMMV

You want to Chain Lightning me as I walk up to you? Okay, I'll just back away and let my monks heal. You used about a thousand mana to keep me off you for 5 seconds

Which reminds me, Oc is really good at killing monks.  Through midgame I'll be focusing on them first. 

Also aside from a couple of players dunno that I've seen many good Sednas recently.  She seems to have fallen out of favor.

Skill 4 is not that good until the final levels when your mana pool stops growing.

King of Minotaurs is much more awesome early on.

6K life with 2 helms? Yes please.

Different playstyles, I guess.  The way I play Oc he uses more mana than life.  Actually the way I play every DG is more mana than HP.  (I don't really play Erb, UB, or Sedna)

February 19, 2010 11:43:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

"OOM again.  Oc is the opposite of OOM - he's all MOO.  Get it?  Yay!

Spam the crap out of skills 1 and 4.  Use 2 tactically.  You have to have three major battles very close together to go OOM with this approach.  

I'm also not seeing issues against late-game grunts, but I'm usually supporting my own grunts who have parity.  YMMV"

I can get Plenor + Vlemish + Cloak of Night + 1 point in King of the Minotaurs + BS by level 11 (then I start getting Brainstorm since the mana you get from BS + hp from BotF < the mana you get from Cloak and KotM + hp from KotM). That gives me about 6k mana. That's only 6 abilities. Assuming you use only one ability per creep wave, you'll oom yourself in 3 minutes (add in regen for another ability and you're still only at 3.5 minutes. If you get one point in BS, then you get roughly 10 mps, which over 3 minutes gives you almsot enough mana for 2 abilities more with an insignificantly smaller mana pool).

Spirits cost virtually no mana, chase you around the map, and deal tons of damage and you can't even autoattack them properly.

I'm not saying that Occ has a weak level 10-14 or so. I'm saying his effectiveness starts to taper off beginning around that time and just gets worse and worse. Artifact stage of the game Occ is virutally useless (have you ever seen an Occ with Akshandor? it's hilariously bad, it's lost games before) and TB blows him out of the water in every way up to that point.

February 20, 2010 12:45:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't know wtf you guys are talking about oc lategame.  Oc IS the lategame. 

Look, I'm the best oc player on earth so do what I say.

1) get mana restore talent at level 5.

2) get magus rod immediately after vlemish/banded. (learn to use it)

3) tell your teammates to buy xp1

4) go out of your way to tag creep waves all game

5) obliterate the enemy while you are level 17 and they are 12.

Even in really pro games with all good players everyone is scared of late game oc, TERRIFIED EVEN. 

Also the ONLY good favor is cloak.  Not only is the mana pro early game but it enables you to cloak ontop of someone and then blast off for dbl damage and chain lightning in under 1s. 

At level 2 this is 850ish damage.  at level 4 it's 1250ish, at level 7 it's 1750 and at level 10 it's 2250ish.  All aoe.  If you're teamates aren't stupid YOU WILL WIN EVERY SINGLE BRAWL IN THE GAME. period.

At level 15 with the brainstorm cooldown you do infinate damage every second.  WTF IS ANYONE TALKING ABOUT TROUBLE WITH CREEPS.  god, occulus can farm both sides worth of creeps, every tower in the game, the citadel and a whole god damn army of demigods at the same time at level 15.

If you get balls your an idiot.

Also I stand firmly by the fact that both sacrifice and lightning proc don't do anything.  Even if they do no one should be touching them until 16 at which point you should be 1v1ing chuck norris, the only true challenge for oc.

I'm angry.

February 20, 2010 12:53:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Also I was curious if my blanket statement about being the best oc on earth was true so I looked at the oc stats.  I have more games played as oc than anyone at 100, Celmare has 87, everyone else is in the 50's or less.

Cool.

February 20, 2010 1:02:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting gm-magnus333,

Look, I'm the best oc player on earth so do what I say.

those are fighting words!

February 20, 2010 9:37:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lawlz. Those passive abilities probably do do things but they suck. I have the feeling they mad oc really awesome decided he was op and then just took away all his good passives and replaced them with stoff that doesn't help him.

February 20, 2010 11:34:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oculus' passive abilities are awful. He gets some minor buffs from King of the Minotaurs, and his lightning whatever ability just depleteshis mana bar to let his allies do like +0.00000000000001 damage per mana he spends on them for a few seconds, oh and they only do that damage like every two or three hits. The only skills to get  are chain lightning, blast off, and mana surge. Also, orb of defiance is nearly an exploit on Oc. You just stop moving and get no display animation, so people are inclined to keep fighting your or hopefully, to waste abilities on you. (I'd considered this almost an exploit actually) The only reason not to like Oculus is because he can't interrupt locks or teles. You can't play Oc/QoT/Reg combos if you want to have the health flag or xp flag. The lack of interrupt is the only real thing hurting him late game. He still drops creep waves in 2 seconds and levels up as fast as TB with monks and demolishers.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time: