The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

My first experience

By on February 2, 2010 8:58:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hekireky

Join Date 04/2009

So I finally opened the Demigod game box I had in my office for like 6 months now , I still remember playing it when I virtually downloaded before it came in physical form.Well all I can say this game feels dead.The players are misunderstanding , all they want is people matching theyre skills , well helooaoo , go make make a game with people at certain time to be sure to test out your wits.So here I am playing with Oak ( he has the most believable look as a general ) , I accidently die from Unclean Beast and some guy starts "omg , plz dont die" " u need to buy hp and mp equipment" "do u know what ur doin?" , well my dear sir I am playing and I certainly knew this game features A STORE , to buy EQUIPMENT , by the time I started playing rpg's.Then in the other game we were playing it was looking solid online experience , when suddenly some "veteran - expert" proposed to us to concede , but we were like lvl 7 ( all of us) and he just foresaw what's coming.Well no wonder this community is tearing apart , the game is great and I can't say I remember some new guys I just saw in the game like Demon Assassin.So anyway ... are all people so grumpy in this game  ?

Locked Post 18 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 2, 2010 9:26:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well u bring up a good point... and i think it is the competitive community that's destroying the game to some degree.

Everyones too worried about "stats" and "skill level", which dulls down the "fun" aspect of playing the game.
Personally i think these stat overlays need to be removed and at the same time people need to enjoy the game for what it is and not make it a "life or death" situation if someone dies on ur team.

At this point in time i dont think the current players can afford to play as competitive as they are, because its only detering new players from becoming loyal players in this game. It seems like an indirect form of bullying and based on that, it discourages those who want to further participate in such a judgmental environment.

Also, this "clan" business may further contribute to the loss of this online game as clan memebers may feel obliged to ONLY play with those they are aligned with. Im not sure about this, but judging by the communities' decline, I dont doubt this may be the outcome.

February 2, 2010 9:28:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The forums tend to be very welcome, however, the lobby is entirely different. To be completely honest, there's a large, large gap in skill between people who've only played against AI and playing online. Also, in demigod, a noob on a team will lose the game. Since people generally want to win, they try to balance things with stats (win percentage, number of games) and such, in lobby. True skill is revealed in game, and many people will rage quit if they're on a noobs team.

Not everyone's grumpy, though. I'd recommend joining a "noob" game to get your feet wet. If you have vent and are in the interest of playing with some really pro people, there's Clan Pacov (link).

To answer your question, there are a lot of grumpy people in this game.

February 2, 2010 11:16:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is a great game and is worth getting over the learning curve.

I would recommend, as a new player, letting people in the lobby know that you are a new player and ask for help.  Be sure to read the forums for strategy help as well.  I also recommend writing down the demigod build that you intend on using.  Try a few demi's and see what you like then get good with that demi.  Some of the new player friendly demi's are Lord Erebus, Unclean Beast and possibly Oak (for oak, always get shield up to level 3 and keep a teleport scroll on you)  Get monks at the beginning of the game and spawn them when you are at the base.  

As a new player stay away from regulus, rook, demon assassin & queen of thorns.

Don't join lobbies for experienced players, and try to join lobbies for new players.  You will still get kicked from some lobbies I would just accept that.   One thing you definitely have to understand is that playing against the AI, no matter how much, didn't help prepare you for playing against people.  (Especially the team aspect)

Anyways, if you have a microphone feel free to join us on lagwars ventrillo server

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/374590

Just send me a message and i'll play some games with you (im in clan pacov).  We play with a lot of people of verying skill levels.  It's also a great way to meet some people in the community.  Most will be willing to help you out.

Im on from usually 9:30ish to 12ish EST but there are others in the clan channel as well. 

j

February 2, 2010 1:10:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Agreed.  Come and check us out on lagwars vent.  My group is reasonably new player friendly at this point. 

Also, this "clan" business may further contribute to the loss of this online game as clan memebers may feel obliged to ONLY play with those they are aligned with.

That might be the case with the latest demigod clan, GM, but they've only been around for a day or so.  If they are looking to mix things up, etc, remains to be seen.  The attitude of my clan is inclusion, not find the best premade on earth and refuse to mix things up.  Since starting my clan,  95% of my games have been with/against clan pacov and GL.  And odds are, if you join a lobby I have up, I'll ask you to join the vent to at least listen in.  Then its up to you as to whether or not you'd like to play with us some more.

I can tell you that people from GL and clan pacov play with and against each other on a regular basis.

February 2, 2010 1:56:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I joined a basketball league a while back... figured it would be fun.  Unfortunately, all the guys on my team were total pricks just like your Demigod teamates!

They were kind of mad because I didn't know how to play basketball... couldn't shoot, couldn't dribble... didn't even know any of the rules.  They were upset that I was losing all their games for them and told me I should have probably learned the basic skills and rules of the game on my own before I joined the team, to which I told them it was just a game and they should all fuck off and die.

February 2, 2010 3:10:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good & funny point Thundercles.  Now let's just say you practiced on your own in the backyard with a hoop and no one else to play with.  You learned to dribble a little bit but didn't know that a crossover between your legs helps keep the ball from your opponent. You could shoot the ball but didn't know that a fake then a jumpshot helps get your opponent out of the way.  Passing?  When did you have the opportunity to learn that by yourself?  Need coaching?  Need to learn teamwork?  Maybe some plays and traps?  That's going to be awfully hard to do all by yourself.  Perhaps the team should have practiced a bit before the game?

Even moreso, perhaps the basketball league veterans, interested in raising league awareness, amount of games and quality of games, should have taken the new players and shown them the basics?

Anwyas, Hekir, i looked at the games you played.  You did join (2) new person lobbies so I applaud you for that.

In the first game you played you had a guy on the opposing team with 160 games, which i wouldn't consider a noob.  In the second game you had a guy on the opposing team with over 325 games total (only 20 or so in epoch II).  This is probably the veteran you were referencing.  326 games is definitely not a noob status and he definitely appears to troll noob lobbies for games.  It also appears that you had 2 experienced players on your team as well.

In any case, just get some games in.  Once you do you wont have these issues (as much lol)

j

February 2, 2010 3:29:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Thundercles,
I joined a basketball league a while back... figured it would be fun.  Unfortunately, all the guys on my team were total pricks just like your Demigod teamates!

They were kind of mad because I didn't know how to play basketball... couldn't shoot, couldn't dribble... didn't even know any of the rules.  They were upset that I was losing all their games for them and told me I should have probably learned the basic skills and rules of the game on my own before I joined the team, to which I told them it was just a game and they should all fuck off and die.

Tell that to recruiters and those who get scholarships for playing basketball. I bet it is more then just a game to them .

February 2, 2010 3:30:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ,

I accidently die from Unclean Beast and some guy starts "omg , plz dont die" " u need to buy hp and mp equipment" "do u know what ur doin?" , well my dear sir I am playing and I certainly knew this game features A STORE , to buy EQUIPMENT , by the time I started playing rpg's.

Valid question from him. I've seen plenty of newb players leave without purchasing monks or base gear at the beginning.

Then in the other game we were playing it was looking solid online experience , when suddenly some "veteran - expert" proposed to us to concede , but we were like lvl 7 ( all of us) and he just foresaw what's coming.

It is certainly easy to forsee the outcome of some games by lvl 7.

People dont like playing with newbs on their team because usually one player can lose the game pretty easily. And they get grumpy about it because being completely destroyed by the other team because of the actions of a sole player is not fun.

I am not saying GTFO newb, I am saying don't join average-good games. Stick to the newb games and learn the correct builds for the demigods. You can do this by reading the strategy section and watching replys.  (Replys being the best way to learn how to play this game)

February 2, 2010 4:48:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just keep practicing. It's a great game and by playing online (and watch a couple replays) you'll learn quick.

February 2, 2010 5:28:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

www.gamereplays.org/demigod   <------ good source of repalys to watch

February 2, 2010 9:18:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

are all people so grumpy in this game ?

Unfourtunately, most of the grumpy people join newb or average games... or host Uber L33t games that nobody experienced joins cause they have a history of being an idiot.

Everything else i was gonna say has been said...

February 2, 2010 10:28:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

the problem is that the games take between a half hour and an hour to complete, so if you immediately discover one of your teammates isn't good enough to compete with the opponents, it doesn't mean an instant loss. instead the game drags out for a half hour while the enemy builds up enough to take you out.

February 3, 2010 5:41:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ry
shad up leet!

February 3, 2010 10:15:19 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Is there any way to spectate ingame? Barring replays, of course. Live events are always more entertaining.

(please don't suggest joining a game and sitting at the citadel...)

February 3, 2010 10:26:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

join a game and sit at the enemy citadel

PS - no there is no observer mode sadly

February 3, 2010 10:43:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Aww. Pity, since with the luscious graphics it's clearly a game worth watching. Plus replays miss out on the chat. Judging from other threads I guess I'd be missing out anyway without ventrilo, though.

Hmm, my avatar doesn't appear to be displaying. Wonder why that is.

February 3, 2010 11:39:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting NeutralRed,
Is there any way to spectate ingame? Barring replays, of course. Live events are always more entertaining.

(please don't suggest joining a game and sitting at the citadel...)

XFire does have a broadcast mode that is compatible with Demigod.

February 4, 2010 12:14:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That sounds promising. How difficult is it to set up?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000641   Page Render Time: