The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The iPad. Who names these things?

By on January 27, 2010 4:32:55 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1467

Short answer: Yes. I’m going to get one.

Why? Well, for me, two main reasons.

One, I currently use my iPhone to browse the net in the evening and its tiny screen is a bit of a bummer at times. I have my beloved ThinkPad T400 but it is a bit too heavy to just have sitting on my lap to surf the net and its form factor doesn’t lend itself to reading.

Two, I use my iPhone for watching movies while I work out and it’s small screen is annoying for that. I don’t use the laptop because, again, the form factor doesn’t let me easily put it up on things.

I kind of feel bad for people who bought the Kindle. This thing will kill that.

I am quite bummed it doesn’t have a camera. I could imagine this thing being super useful for Skype video chatting but oh well.

Locked Post 52 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 27, 2010 4:46:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

No camera is definitely a disappoint.   

January 27, 2010 4:54:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Brad,

This product is completely different from the Kindle. The Kindle is for one purpose only.. reading books. It lasts WEEKS on one charge and the screen is not backlit, so it's no harder on your eyes then a regular book.

The iPad (yes.. horrible name) will last at most 10 hours, most likely less in real-world use. LCD screens are not ideal for long bouts of reading. It's just a whole different category.

I definitely won't be buying one. There are plenty of other slates on the market that can do so much more then this device can. It's the price of a computer for the functionality of a large ipod.

January 27, 2010 4:55:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Some adult males it seems just can not get over having the newest toy out on the market.

That being said I can though understand the need for you two to be able to evaluate new technology.

January 27, 2010 5:01:07 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Is it just me or has Apple just gone and dropped the iPhone in ther magical "make things bigger" machine? One of the artists impressions before release kinda had my interested, but, along with lacklustre feature set (over the iPhone anyway) and its form, looks like i'll be passing on this one.

Plus Apple are bound to wait many months till they release in Australia, and if true to form will over charge greatly....

(if only it had looked more like this...especially the UI. More mac, less iphone)

January 27, 2010 5:05:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Some kind of pad for women?

January 27, 2010 5:13:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

No camera is definitely a disappoint.

no worries, im sure next version will have a cam with the price tag unfortunatley....... im not into all this ipod stuff....not needed......thank god........

January 27, 2010 5:32:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

meh - make ipod touch bigger.  Greatest invention of all time.  Magazines become obsolete.  Next year they invent a version with a processor that runs 500mhz faster.  "Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains. Fade to black."

January 27, 2010 5:33:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This isnt the first time weve dealt with a big build up from Apple. Only to be let down, but still sold on all these vague references to usage of this new overpriced toy. Like someone said before, your paying the price of a computer for nothing more then an oversized iphone. (which was outrageously priced when they first came out as well)

January 27, 2010 6:35:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I currently own a Kindle and it is still the best e-reader out there, and lasting for 2 weeks on 1 charge cant beat that with a stick,also as stated above, its for reading books, thats it, i tell friends and family when they ask about it, why doesnt it light up they ask, i said because it is a book, does your paperback light up?? the best part is i never lose my place, and the books are so much cheaper, as a huge reader this is a bonus for me and will recoup my initial cost for the Kindle very soon

January 27, 2010 7:39:49 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

William Shakespeare

Didn't they call those little handheld thingamajigs on Star Trek pads?

January 27, 2010 8:34:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'll wait until they make one with a transporter

January 27, 2010 8:50:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Didn't they call those little handheld thingamajigs on Star Trek pads?
Yep.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/PADD

January 27, 2010 8:51:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ,

The main draw for me to the kindle is the e.ink. I doubt the kindle is going away. The iPad is a jack of all trades but can't compete with a specilized device like the kindle, nook, or sony e.reader.

January 27, 2010 9:21:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Having a kindle, I have to say it is light and the eInk is just like reading a book. For novels and so on I think Kindle is still the best. I do hope however, that Amazon will now ease up on their DRM and perhaps switch to an ePUB format so their books can be read on either device.

The iPAD could be interesting if Comic Books are added as a medium (there is alot of speculation that this is already planned in the near future).

BTW, I do not think the Kindle  versus iPAD is Amazon's concern but rather the fact that books would be sold on ITunes therefore cutting into amazon's main retail business.

January 27, 2010 9:39:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

January 28, 2010 1:04:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Froggy - talk sense.  Sure, some excited folk will marvel at the "wow its a ipod touch but bigger" factor, but they really didn't due squat other than engineer a device with 10 hours of battery power (reported by them).  The battery power is impressive IMO for what it does, but my little treo 700wx is a cellphone with unlimited calls and internet for $30 a month... this is a device you can't make calls on without modding for $30 a month.  If this kills kindle, I will eat a shoe.  

January 28, 2010 1:38:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Richard Mohler,
 Just the  thing for her iPeriod.

January 28, 2010 2:30:20 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

[quote who="Wizard1956" reply="17" id="2520411"]

Quoting Richard Mohler,
reply 5
 Just the  thing for her iPeriod.

[/quote]

Wizard,

I logged in to the forums with the express purpose of giving you karma for that well-timed comment!  

the Monk

January 28, 2010 6:34:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

cant beat that with a stick

Chuck could.

The iPad...I heard it runs Windows every 28 days...

January 28, 2010 6:57:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

wonder if the iPad has wings?

Chuck Norris runs 7 on his Etch-a-Sketch and his dial phone.

January 28, 2010 3:55:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Although I own an iPhone and I love it in terms of usibility, there is one thing that really gets me up everytime and that will be the same for this oversized version of the iPhone : NO multitasking. That is a no-go even more for a bigger device.

January 28, 2010 4:09:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Who names these things?

iDiots?

January 28, 2010 4:46:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

meh - make ipod touch bigger

Lol I have hear that it has been called iPod touch on steriods

Just the thing for her iPeriod.

Lol if you search the app store that is already an app called iPeriod which keeps track of women's period (don't know how I even know this)

Who names think think about it, its apple basically their phlisophy on naming things is based on two steps:

1. What does it do? or its main feature?
  2. Slap an "i" before it
January 28, 2010 5:03:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

iDiots?

Nice...very nice.

January 28, 2010 5:24:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000672   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.