The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Issues with a friend's system

That I can't figure out!

By on January 25, 2010 3:13:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My friend handed his portable system over to me to work on and I just need to reinstall Windows and he'll be all set.

But, his system won't boot off of the CD.
So I made a bootable flash drive. Still no good.

Going inside the BIOS, I can see the optical drive, change the boot order, blah blah. So I change the first boot device to be the optical drive. Streight to the HDD. Changed it to removable media. Streight to HDD.

So I go to the Boot Device Menu and only the HDD is listed. I've reset the BIOS, took out the CMOS and drained the power, but short of a mobo replacement, I can't think of anything that will help.

I've tried mutliple flash drives and attempted a second optical drive to no effect.

Any ideas?

+60 Karma | 24 Replies
January 25, 2010 3:20:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Are you sure your Windows CD is bootable? Is it an original CD or a copy?

January 25, 2010 3:22:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Used it on my two other systems. Tested the bootable flash drive too.

January 25, 2010 3:22:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

But even if it wasnt, it should still show it as an option in the Boot Device Menu, even if there isnt a disk inserted.

January 25, 2010 3:35:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

So I change the first boot device to be the optical drive.

I took this as you have the CD first in the boot order...

So I go to the Boot Device Menu and only the HDD is listed.

but this makes me think maybe not.

Perhaps a visit to the PC manufacturer's website to look up the manual for the system. They may have a bios update for it but not sure if you can load it if you can't get it to boot.

January 25, 2010 3:41:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Cant update the BIOS if I cant boot to anything except a bad Windows install.

And yeah, that's the weird part. It doesnt matter what the boot order is. The HDD is the only thing ever listed under the boot device menu (this isnt the menu inside of the setup, btw. When you hit F12 to go to Boot Device Menu)

January 25, 2010 4:55:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I cant boot to anything except a bad Windows install.

Format and install a valid copy of Windows.

January 25, 2010 5:01:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok, that's exactly the problem.We can't.

And by bad install, I mean corrupted to the point you can't do anything.

January 25, 2010 5:08:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Cant update the BIOS if I cant boot to anything except a bad Windows install.

Okay, so it's not a corrupted OS or one that could have a virus or trojan that might be fixed with the repair or restore function?  Just asking because a bad Windows install could mean anything, from what I asked or that you friiend tried to install Windows and messed it up.

EDIT:  That answers that question.

January 25, 2010 5:16:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd check for a setting that "enables boot order" Could swear I have been in a computer BIOS that allowed you to re-order the boot devices, but you also had to actually enable that in a nearby option.

January 25, 2010 5:21:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It worked like 3 months ago when I reinstalled the last time. No changes needed and no changes made. I'm at a total loss. I've been working on it for like a week.

Edit:

Quoting Leo in WI,
I'd check for a setting that "enables boot order" Could swear I have been in a computer BIOS that allowed you to re-order the boot devices, but you also had to actually enable that in a nearby option.

I'll definantly look when I get home though
Thanks for the suggestion.

January 25, 2010 5:32:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This might work:

Take out the hard drive, hook it up to an adaptor w/e on another pc, install windows onto it using that pc.

Stuff the hard drive back in the laptop.

Should work. Or do something similar, but boot off of a drive that already has windows on it (hooked up via USB/eSATA). Once in windows on the portable, install Acronis. Get an image of some fresh OS install partition and restore it to the laptop's hard drive.

January 25, 2010 5:33:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Is your friend the type who may have downloaded programs or changed setting and not told you?

You haven't mentioned but can you boot up in safe mode or does the corruption not allow that?

January 25, 2010 5:44:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Run Hijackthis from their website.

January 25, 2010 7:06:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Suggestions like that aren't going to work....not if the Windows install is screwed....

With all the fiddling about....the first suggestion would be to check that the IDE [whatever] cables are connected/seated correctly to the CD drive.

If it's not a hardware/connection issue then it can 'only' be a BIOS setting for boot order [assuming the Win CD is a functioning bootable - and not scratched/damaged].

January 25, 2010 7:07:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

By Portable I am assuming you mean a Laptop

if so can you supply the make and model number ?

Edit - Correction to what I was asking

January 25, 2010 7:24:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, its a laptop. Its at home so I dont have the make/model.

I've not only reseated the optical drive (and HDD), I used mine which works fine. Tested his in my system and it works fine.

On top of that, I can take the HDD out of the system and it still only has the HDD as a boot option.

It has to be a BIOS setting, but what freakin setting? Defaults should still allow you to boot to a CD. In fact, restoring defaults set the CD to first boot priority. Still nuffin.

January 25, 2010 7:43:14 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Teseer,
Yes, its a laptop. Its at home so I dont have the make/model.

I've not only reseated the optical drive (and HDD), I used mine which works fine. Tested his in my system and it works fine.

On top of that, I can take the HDD out of the system and it still only has the HDD as a boot option.

It has to be a BIOS setting, but what freakin setting? Defaults should still allow you to boot to a CD. In fact, restoring defaults set the CD to first boot priority. Still nuffin.

On my Dell Laptop I have to set the optical drive to secondary master to get it to boot from any disk.

January 25, 2010 9:35:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Please give us the model and make of this laptop so as to figure what bios is being used here.

would be good to assume you have it set for quick boot in the bio settings

try changing that to multiple boot order and set a time out at 10 seconds so as to see a boot options screen to figure how you are going to boot...

the other thing is that the system may not see these things due to bad hardware... but gona figure it is just set wrong for now.

Please provided info and take another look at your boot options for multiple boot order.

January 25, 2010 9:53:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Suggestions like that aren't going to work....not if the Windows install is screwed....

With all the fiddling about....the first suggestion would be to check that the IDE [whatever] cables are connected/seated correctly to the CD drive.

If it's not a hardware/connection issue then it can 'only' be a BIOS setting for boot order [assuming the Win CD is a functioning bootable - and not scratched/damaged].

I'm not convinced. This could be the work of a virus of thje Boot DSector variety, and running Hijackthis is free and wouldn't harm or help if it's a cable problem.

January 26, 2010 12:05:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Doc, it appears to me that the system won't boot, therefore running hijack this, or any other software, isn't an option.  

January 26, 2010 12:53:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Doc, it appears to me that the system won't boot, therefore running hijack this, or any other software, isn't an option.

Yes, what he said...

January 26, 2010 1:35:38 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Are you sure the cd drive is not bad? Even though it shows up in the BIOS, it may not be functioning properly.

I was a tech for a dozen years or so, and I have run into similar problems before.

I have seen cd drives go bad and make the system act really flakey (i.e. the mouse acting weird or very choppy video, etc.). I have seen bad drives cause just what yours is doing - making it so Windows can not load. Sometimes it only happened if a cd was in the drive, but sometimes just having the drive connected caused problems. I have even had it happen with a brand new drive, right out of the box.

You mentioned a bootable flash drive. Is it USB, or a memory card that goes in a card reader?

If it's USB, the BIOS should have an option to allow booting from a USB drive. It won't be in the boot options, but perhaps the advanced setup or peripheral options.

January 26, 2010 5:34:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Crap...I thought it booted... sorry. I missed that.

January 26, 2010 7:43:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I tried a working drive. And his drive worked in my other system

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000282   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.