The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Embedding and ActiveX

By on January 20, 2010 6:36:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If I wanted to embed an swf, is there any way I could bypass the ActiveX control bloxx in Internet Explorer. I'm making a website with an animated header, but on certain versions of IE, it won't load until you give it permission.

+29 Karma | 5 Replies
January 21, 2010 9:37:37 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

No, the permission prompt is intentionally present for security (and I believe legal) purposes.

January 22, 2010 4:24:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, that's sort of what I thought. And it would be wrong to assume that all users would know to left click the yellow bar at the top of the page, click ActiveX controls, and then click yes. What I really wanna know (besides whooo are you who who who who) is why this is the default setting in IE6&7.

January 22, 2010 4:33:12 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

why this is the default setting in IE6&7

for security (and I believe legal) purposes

Personally I disable all active content from automatic execution that I can in FF and/or IE7. This includes activeX and java and anything else that looks suspicious. Sometimes that causes me trouble on a few sites but usually not and it makes me feel safer even though it probably doesn't actually really make me any safer.

But then I'm a dinosaur.   I just don't want my machine executing someone else's code just on general principles.

January 22, 2010 4:59:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

IE doesn't block Java or Javascript, so it can hardly be considered secure... Not to mention you can create viruses that are downloaded on viewing a page that run themselves. It seems they should let .swf files just play automatically, they're not that big of a threat.

January 22, 2010 5:14:54 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

is why this is the default setting in IE6&7.

See here. Apparently the extra click is removed now though if you get a system update (hadn't heard about that).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000078   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.