The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Who here has read or is reading "The Malazan Book of the Fallen" series by Steven Erickson

By on January 13, 2010 9:01:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just wondering if there is anyone reading the books and what they think of them.

Witness

+3 Karma | 10 Replies
January 14, 2010 6:21:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm reading them, halfway part 6 at the moment... I really like them, a bit hard to get into (maybe because English isn't my primary language but also because at the start of the serie you don't really get all that much background), but very well written and fun to read. Part 7 and 8 are already waiting on my shelf...

January 14, 2010 7:09:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice.

I am waiting for book 9 Dust of Dreams. I hear it clears up alot of story lines. I have 3 of Stevens Novellas with Korbal Brauch and Bauchelain and I recommend if you can find them to get them. I have all first editions and its amazing how much they are worth after a few years.

Steven also released a hardcover of Gardens of the Moon and I might get just to have if I have some spare cash. It will only go up in value.

"Many a mule has matched wits with me and almost all have failed" - Iskarel Pust , High Priest of Shadow.

P.S. His writing is some of the funniest stuff I have ever read.

January 15, 2010 12:32:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I guess its just me and you Scorpiana. The other forum goes don't know what there missing out on.

Whats you fav book so far? Mine from the whole series is "Memories of Ice". It is a great book and the scenes in it with the tenscrowry (thinks thats right) are hard to read because of the events and also because it is sort of enrapturing and scary all at once. The Children of the Dead Seed and how they come about is downright spine chilling. Also one of my favorite characters appears. Gruntle. Awesome character.

Any fav Chars and what is your fav book in the series?

Not sure which book Beak appears in but his is a good story. Oh yeah almost forgot Iron Bars rules. Gotta love Stevens naming of characters.

January 15, 2010 12:52:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have almost NO time to read these days but I'm still purchasing each book as they are released because I know I'm going to want to read the whole series one day.

I've read Gardens of the Moon and the 2nd one (Deadhouse Gates?). Great books. Reminds me of the Black Company books in some ways.

January 15, 2010 6:30:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah Glen Cook was a major influence on Steven Ericksons writing. His books are also pretty decent but they can be pretty hard to follow.

Dust of Dreams is out now in the UK and will be out in North America this Feburary. Can't wait. The whole "Chain of Dogs" with Coltain is some of the best writing I have read. Great stuff.

January 16, 2010 9:39:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

have you read Cook's The Dragon Never Sleeps?

January 16, 2010 10:31:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No not yet. Just reading his books about the "Black Company". I will look for it now. Thanks for the heads up.

January 17, 2010 8:05:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My favourite at the moment is Deadhouse Gates... I really liked the whole Chain of Dogs story. Midnight Tides is a close second because it stands mostly separate (or seems to...) from the rest of the serie and gives us a whole backstory to Trull Sengar.

Still so much to read, so little time... There are so many great writers out there, it sometimes gets a bit overwhelming.

January 29, 2010 4:38:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Started reading Gardens of the Moon few day ago,since am tired of waiting for George Martin to finish Dance with Dragons and so far i like it...but its a bit confusing for the first book.Tried Deathgate Cycle before Malazan and it was not that great,just ok so i finished two books and decided to stop.But after reading first few pages it was obvious Erickson is more into league with Martin when it comes to writting skills.

January 29, 2010 10:19:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Read them all so far. Love them

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.