The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Team balancing = no one learns how to play

By on January 11, 2010 7:11:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Title sums it up, there's little else to say.

You need never fight a hard battle nowadays, just an 'even' one.

+37 Karma | 35 Replies
January 11, 2010 8:59:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Doesn't make any sense to me, why not?  Because one team does not get stomped?  You learn just as much as you would otherwise, even more so if teams are even - the nuances that lead to a win. 

What do you learn on uneven teams?  team that gets stomped can learn builds and team work same way as they would if teams were balanced and teamwork existed.   Team that does the stomping learns a lot less.  even teams => more improvements. 

So noobs would learn more if teams were pro pro nub vs pro pro nub as opposed to nub nub vs pro pro so long as pros on each team show teamwork.  At the very least not less.

January 11, 2010 9:10:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Team balancing = no one learns how to play

if all the players in the game are of the same skill lvl, yes

elswise, no

January 11, 2010 10:55:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No, there's a major difference between beginners getting stomped by 'pros.' There a very large swath of players who have no idea what builds are good, how to itemize, when to use consumables, or that mid and early game portal caps are devestating. Players with over a 1000 games simply have no idea how to play this game because they dont' fight harder opponents. There's no excuse.

January 11, 2010 11:15:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

true but than your topic seems misleading;) 

i associate team balancing with game lobbies that fill up and than spread ppl as equal as possible, ex: 40 50 70 vs 40 50 70.  40 will learn if he/she pays attention

it should say to get better you need to play vs people better than you are = true; but u can also get better by playing balanced teams with people better than you, i think that'll be even more helpfull for anyone.  So balanced games are still good imho;P

January 11, 2010 11:15:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

but u can also get better by playing balanced teams with people better than you,

vent bal ftw cause you learn as you play if your teamates are better than you

January 12, 2010 1:05:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting iokke,

i associate team balancing with game lobbies that fill up and than spread ppl as equal as possible, ex: 40 50 70 vs 40 50 70.  40 will learn if he/she pays attention

it should say to get better you need to play vs people better than you are = true; but u can also get better by playing balanced teams with people better than you, i think that'll be even more helpfull for anyone.  So balanced games are still good imho;P

It sounds good in theory, but I think the proof is in the pudding for the actual results of it. A game that can be attributed to an obviouse mistake or blatantly poor player, as is often the case when you have players under 55% or so. I would even say that I'm bad about learning from games where I make idiotic mistakes or other good people have a few deaths and the game can be easily attributed to them.

In my opinion the window in which you can learn a whole lot from a game is pretty narrow. The point where mistakes are made up utnil it becomes unwinnable is oftentimes the only informative part, and the smaller that window the less likely people are to learn from it.

I really think the fact that you see regulus in 70% of the games you join is one of the many examples of evidence that players aren't fighting harder battles as time goes on, they're just finding equally mediocre opponents. The other day I had guys on my team with over 500 games and they didn't even undertand why I destroyed the enemy portal towers (on cat). Once those towers were down the three of us killed two on the other team, capped cooldown, and then they ran from a 3v1 at the portal flag... I was dumbfounded, but it's really not al lthat uncommon.

January 12, 2010 1:33:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

but i like seeing regulus, he is tasty.

Think same will apply to unbalanced games if i understood you correctly.

I dont learn more playing vs a strong team with a 30%er on my side who feeds and its hard to tell whether ur approach would've held up have the teams been even.  done plenty of those, learned more when managed to get into games with highly skilled opponents on both sides. 

Having weaker but decent teammates is better and Im usually happy to play those even if i know we will lose, in those games you could see what you and your teammates aswell could do better compared to the opponents.  still ike even teams more tho;)  guess it depends on the person

your right tho, its good only in theory cause.. well lower skill players are simply more likely to get kicked and balancing like this prolly wont take place.  was gonna add that but didnt wanna ramble on. 

So in reality your best bet is to play vs stronger teams as opposed to working on your stats, but if u can get into a balanced game you'll also be learning esp if u get to play with better players... (ofc than u get low stats and wont get into good games=P).

but than again i stole bots on ub from you so i really shouldnt talk back;)

just saw the portal thingy, after 500 games sad, but at 500 games prolly few of them were balanced;)

January 12, 2010 2:32:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting HorseStrangler,

Quoting iokke,
reply 4

It sounds good in theory, but I think the proof is in the pudding for the actual results of it. A game that can be attributed to an obviouse mistake or blatantly poor player, as is often the case when you have players under 55% or so. I would even say that I'm bad about learning from games where I make idiotic mistakes or other good people have a few deaths and the game can be easily attributed to them.

In my opinion the window in which you can learn a whole lot from a game is pretty narrow. The point where mistakes are made up utnil it becomes unwinnable is oftentimes the only informative part, and the smaller that window the less likely people are to learn from it.

I really think the fact that you see regulus in 70% of the games you join is one of the many examples of evidence that players aren't fighting harder battles as time goes on, they're just finding equally mediocre opponents. The other day I had guys on my team with over 500 games and they didn't even undertand why I destroyed the enemy portal towers (on cat). Once those towers were down the three of us killed two on the other team, capped cooldown, and then they ran from a 3v1 at the portal flag... I was dumbfounded, but it's really not al lthat uncommon.

Since when do you see reg? What games do you join? I go exclusively for non-noob games (when they're open, which is ~80-90% of the time) and I haven't seen a reg in over a week. Basically all I see is the tier 1, sedna, rook, and sometimes DA.

I do agree though, the number of "experienced" players who make atrocious mistakes is stupidly high. Reading even the most basic of item/strategy guides would help so many people so much.

January 12, 2010 5:27:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

reg is severely under-rated imo

January 12, 2010 10:56:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The point where mistakes are made up utnil it becomes unwinnable is oftentimes the only informative part

I think this is the heart of what you're trying to say, you should probably expand on it more.  Like most games of its type, demigod suffers badly from the snowball effect, once you make one too many mistakes, you fall behind enough that nothing you do even matters at that point.

Once you've reached the point of no return, there is no value in playing the game further.  The problem is that most people have absolutely no idea when that part of the game has been reached, so they cannot learn from the part of the game that actually mattered, since they don't know when to look.  What could you possibly learn from playing a match as... say... a level 6 regulus vs. a level 9 erebus?

January 12, 2010 11:49:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Heh. Good thread. Nobody likes to be stomped, but tell me, iokke. why best player in a lobby always need to be with totallest noobs. Its good for newbies but for a good player its quite nervous. why he needs to carry mountain of insane running through the map from one corner to other, save some idiot tbs from ub grasps, make suicidal attacks on enemy portals just to save time and brag with f****ng 11yo yeti-sedna instead of good  teamplay with reasonable people.

i agree with 50-50-70 vs 50-50-70 games but, omg. tell me why games like 20-80 vs 50-50 called balanced? all this math is bullshit and nothing

---

Just a free advice for some balance-lovers.do u want to be even? play better than, not try to get better teammate.

January 12, 2010 12:42:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Chrome Quote:

"reg is severely under-rated imo"

-[ShakeNBake]

Shake is a sick little Reg. Had one hell of a game the other day and Shake was a bad ass Regulus. So many snipes. lol.

January 12, 2010 12:45:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I never said that its good for the best player

from my experience you can not carry a total nub vs a decent team no matter how good you are so 20 80 vs 50 50 is not by any means balanced. now 40 80 vs 50 50 is better than 40 50 vs 80 50, given that 40 knows what he is doing he will learn, 50s can learn from 80, and 80 can write it off on the tax return or learn cause he has to pull for 40 a bit.

January 12, 2010 12:54:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Irahi,

The point where mistakes are made up utnil it becomes unwinnable is oftentimes the only informative part

I think this is the heart of what you're trying to say, you should probably expand on it more.  Like most games of its type, demigod suffers badly from the snowball effect, once you make one too many mistakes, you fall behind enough that nothing you do even matters at that point.

Once you've reached the point of no return, there is no value in playing the game further.  The problem is that most people have absolutely no idea when that part of the game has been reached, so they cannot learn from the part of the game that actually mattered, since they don't know when to look.  What could you possibly learn from playing a match as... say... a level 6 regulus vs. a level 9 erebus?
Quoting Maff86,
Heh. Good thread. Nobody likes to be stomped, but tell me, iokke. why best player in a lobby always need to be with totallest noobs. Its good for newbies but for a good player its quite nervous. why he needs to carry mountain of insane running through the map from one corner to other, save some idiot tbs from ub grasps, make suicidal attacks on enemy portals just to save time and brag with f****ng 11yo yeti-sedna instead of good  teamplay with reasonable people.

i agree with 50-50-70 vs 50-50-70 games but, omg. tell me why games like 20-80 vs 50-50 called balanced? all this math is bullshit and nothing

---

Just a free advice for some balance-lovers.do u want to be even? play better than, not try to get better teammate.

Let me ask you this; at what point did this go from being a game ment to entertain to being something that playing with noobs will make you nervous at all? If you can't enjoy simply playing with other players noob or not  then why do you play games at all? This isn't something that sucess or failure changes your fate.... or did this become saw at some point?

January 12, 2010 1:19:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have no problems with balancing other than I pretty much know that'll if I feel like winning I'll have to pick a char like Rook or Oak or Beast or Ereb.  I don't get to enjoy the lesser dgs because the weight is on me to win and I need an overpowering DG.

What I can't stand is when I have no chance of winning because one of my allies is just too terrible.  You can take a flawless DG player and pair him up with a total n00b and he'll lose no matter what as Iokke said.  Unless the other team has an equally bad n00b.

I accept balancing in concept, but honestly I prefer to just host my own games with 50%+ plus players.  Those end up being the most interesting aside from a nice pre vs pre match.  I'm not sure why people have this fear of good players.  I enjoy playing good players, as long as I know there's not a horribly weak link on my team to exploit.

January 12, 2010 1:33:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Let me ask you this; at what point did this go from being a game ment to entertain to being something that playing with noobs will make you nervous at all? If you can't enjoy simply playing with other players noob or not then why do you play games at all? This isn't something that sucess or failure changes your fate.... or did this become saw at some point?

---

Yes i`m playing for fun. Its a great pleasure to see that your teammate is using his brain and competent. And there is no fun to brag about player`s build. when i see our speedy ub in 3x3 prison against ooze ub there is no fun. Only embarrasment.

January 12, 2010 3:37:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I accept balancing in concept, but honestly I prefer to just host my own games with 50%+ plus players. Those end up being the most interesting aside from a nice pre vs pre match. I'm not sure why people have this fear of good players. I enjoy playing good players, as long as I know there's not a horribly weak link on my team to exploit.

funny exactly the same applies here, almost added same thing to 1 of my posts.  havent played with own pre tho;)

Its not fun for anyone to play with a feeder because when you know you have no chance at winning even if the other team makes mistakes it is seizes to become a challenge.  Might aswell wait till 3:01 and quit if you enjoy that.

But it can be fun to play on a weaker team, knowing you will probably loose, so long as your teammates are decent.  Still that does not compare with playing with good players vs good players

January 12, 2010 10:27:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

when i see our speedy ub in 3x3 prison against ooze ub there is no fun. Only embarrasment.

When i see a spit and run against a minion oak and a minion erebus, with a healbot sedna (me) and da.... i quit

January 12, 2010 10:43:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting iokke,

I accept balancing in concept, but honestly I prefer to just host my own games with 50%+ plus players. Those end up being the most interesting aside from a nice pre vs pre match. I'm not sure why people have this fear of good players. I enjoy playing good players, as long as I know there's not a horribly weak link on my team to exploit.
funny exactly the same applies here, almost added same thing to 1 of my posts.  havent played with own pre tho;)

Its not fun for anyone to play with a feeder because when you know you have no chance at winning even if the other team makes mistakes it is seizes to become a challenge.  Might aswell wait till 3:01 and quit if you enjoy that.

But it can be fun to play on a weaker team, knowing you will probably loose, so long as your teammates are decent.  Still that does not compare with playing with good players vs good players
You can take'em

January 13, 2010 4:13:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think people learn from games that they pat attention to...

and people pay attention to games that are close because they are exciting.

Every time I have a noob on my team I completely zone out trying to educate him by typing and end up dying more then they do, which isn't fun or education for anyone.

January 13, 2010 8:15:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

by typing

Vent?

January 13, 2010 8:31:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

if they were on vent they wouldn't be noobs now would they?

January 13, 2010 8:50:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

if they were on vent they wouldn't be noobs now would they?

ehhh... ok probably, but i got on vent with only 75 games  don't know where that puts me though so...

January 14, 2010 1:12:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting HorseStrangler,
No, there's a major difference between beginners getting stomped by 'pros.' There a very large swath of players who have no idea what builds are good, how to itemize, when to use consumables, or that mid and early game portal caps are devestating. Players with over a 1000 games simply have no idea how to play this game because they dont' fight harder opponents. There's no excuse.

Some players are middle of the road average and haven't learned the game yet, some players mentioned in this thread are bordering on excellent players (i.e. they have growth potential if they would just take the time to analyze their errors), I learned quickly after people criticized my playstyle and asked me why I wasn't HP stacking... I was like "WTF hp stacking, you serious?" and they were like "lol u newb".  The best thing you could do is tell them to record replays and observe player behaviour or tell them what kind of builds to do outright - i.e. if you see people not HP stacking, tell them to stack and WHAT to stack in WHAT order tell them not to go crazy on citadel upgrades (i.e. spend all their money) if they got no + hp items for themselves.  Citadel upgrades should be spread among the team so people can upgrade their equip so no one is left at HP disadvantage.

I've seen UB's never get sigil! Sigil is like a fucking requirement if you are going to play UB ffs.  There are lots of average players who think they are good, these are the kinds that chastize good players.

It's funny when I get people insulting me on my own team who don't realize they are newbs, next game I will play with some good players with no qualms whatsoever.  Part of my horrible % comes from pantheon and from the time when I was new and chose TB for most of my pantheon games not realizing the horrible unbalanced nature of Ereb and Oak minions on fortress and whatnot in generals vs assasins.  In team games I didn't realize how much the game centered around HP stacking and sigils, which caused frustration for my team mates because I would always run from fights not realizing I was the douchebag that hadn't HP stacked (laughs), I didn't realize it until someone pointed it out.  Most of my crappyness came from not having +HP items like Blood of the fallen + armor when being oak, people would get horribly frustrated and say "oak you suck!" and they were right but they were not helping the other person better themselves by pointing out their flaws, if you want to be serious point out WHAT the did wrong.

When I first started playing I had no idea Hp stacking was so powerful, and would run around under HP'd and run from fights because I would constantly get smoked (see my life just go way down) and didn't realize it was because of my lack of HP.

The game center's too much around items in general (specifically sigil + HP items) and if the player doesn't know about this he will wonder why he is getitng creamed.  Many players really don't understand the power of +hp and sigil, in fact often times no players on my team will ever get sigil not realizing stacked hp + sigil = lifesaver.

I have a recorded game where I made my escape of death twice with sigil+hp stack that I couldn't have done otherwise.  Don't whine about these players - teach them - criticize their playstyles tell them what they are doing wrong, they need to KNOW.  Some players think they are hot shit but aren't, others get called newbs but are not newbs.  Personally players have to find heroes the are good with, you also have to teach them the items to get and builds for each.

Sometimes it's about teamwork, othertimes it's about not knowing the power of items like sigils, locks, teleports... and other times it's some team members on your team are just CHICKEN SHIT to go run in and cap gold flags (like sedna for instance).  I had a sedna's on my team that would just sit there and not go harass towers or cap flags.  You have to get a feel for what you should be doing at any given moment depending on where the enemies demigods are positioned and you should not waste time squanderingin your lane if they all occupied elsewhere and you can squeeze in some tower harassment or flag cap and lock.

January 14, 2010 2:03:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting HorseStrangler,

Demigod is not so much about skill as about memorization, I played perfectly when I first started playing but I had no idea how powerful +Hp item stacking was, the only thing that changed about my game  was the discovery of +hp items and sigl that's the only thing that changed and switched me from newb to decent player.  Almost all high level play centers around demigod selection and items, and some decent co-ordination that's about it.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000343   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.