Helping noobs

By on January 3, 2010 4:07:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

xclavex

Join Date 02/2008
+6

I've been creating "Noob Training" rooms where the goal is to attract noob players to a room who want to learn from a decent player (myself) without fear of being kicked out of the room or being whined at for being a noob. So far I've hosted a few of these and they met with great success, with many of the noobs asking tons of questions and me sharing everything I know with them. It confers a very friendly gaming experience as well as encourages noobs to stick with the game.

I highly encourage some more veteran players to do the same thing as I am to help give the noobs a hand.

Locked Post 27 Replies +5
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 3, 2010 5:00:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

or just send them to the forums.. tons of great info in here if you do some looking.  Top players have laid out excellent strategies.. there are solid builds.. math done on xp and currency, whether it's worth it to lock flags, which flags are important, blah blha blha blah.

ofc there are some stupid ppl on here too.  meh.  Regardless.. I'd still just send them to the forums

January 3, 2010 5:40:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Forums and words are all fine and dandy, but they still need first hand experience, exactly like how book work and studying can help, but doesn't compare to actual experience.

January 3, 2010 7:55:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That is a very good idea!

I will do this too, when I have the time.

January 3, 2010 8:05:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting RAWRRRR,
or just send them to the forums.. tons of great info in here if you do some looking.  Top players have laid out excellent strategies.. there are solid builds.. math done on xp and currency, whether it's worth it to lock flags, which flags are important, blah blha blha blah.

ofc there are some stupid ppl on here too.  meh.  Regardless.. I'd still just send them to the forums

I find it amazing how people just say send them to the forum. Sending to the forum doesn't automatically make them better, you can read a thousand guides and books, but without practice against live players they still wont be able to put what the use into effective use.

January 3, 2010 9:55:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It depends on who you are. I'm the type of person who can buy this game, read all the guides for my character, look up all the stat values and comparison articles, watch two replays, and then play in midskill games from day two.  Some people cannot learn that way, but it does not mean that no one can.

January 3, 2010 10:18:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Splitshadow,
It depends on who you are. I'm the type of person who can buy this game, read all the guides for my character, look up all the stat values and comparison articles, watch two replays, and then play in midskill games from day two.  Some people cannot learn that way, but it does not mean that no one can.

I'm the type of guy who buys this game and falls asleep while playing it.

January 3, 2010 11:01:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As a noob I appreciate all of the forums and advice you guys give there. But you still need to play. Knowing what to cd and being able to implemnt that knowlege are two different things. Like most things you  have a game plan until you get smacked in the mouth. Then that goes out the window unless you that experience of being battle tested, which in this case is game play.

Speaking as a noob it's very nice to have some one who knows what they are doing talking you through it. Plus I have read in the forums how good players get pissed at noobs for not listeing and communicating when you talk to them. Every thing comes back to how you are trained.

karma to you xclavex. I will look for your rooms when I play. Thank you agian.

January 3, 2010 12:57:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I saw some of your games hosted recently.  Kudos!

January 3, 2010 1:03:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great idea. If I get free time and can get enough for a dub Tuesday Wednesday or Thursday, I'll pop some up

January 3, 2010 1:05:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

meow

January 4, 2010 4:34:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I will do it too

January 4, 2010 5:05:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I find it amazing how people just say send them to the forum. Sending to the forum doesn't automatically make them better, you can read a thousand guides and books, but without practice against live players they still wont be able to put what the use into effective use.

ur right.. just sending someone to college doesn't give them a PhD either.  But false on the last part.. you can put what you learn into effective use immediately.

Do brain surgeons have practice on live brains b4 putting what they learn into effective use?  God I hope not  

I learned a lot of what I know from reading the forums and doing single player testing... where I've also brought some insight into the forums.  You can definitely figure out how to play with the wealth of knowledge on these forums + doing a few single player games to figure out how things work (shops, flags, roughly how long it feels to get gold, tower range, ability range.. etc).  The only problem is most people don't do it.

January 4, 2010 5:57:32 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well, getting a PHD from going to college isn't the point.  You're going to college to get the degree to find better jobs, but even with that PHD, you'll be working at the bottom for a while until you get that job experience. 

Either way, you guys who are saying all this are still saying "by the second day" or "practice in singleplayer".  All of that is still implying that you are not playing at an expert level just from reading guides and builds on the internet. 

I don't care who you are, if you read a few guides and go online to play your first game, you aren't going to win unless you are playing a tard.  You need actual game experience, whether it be jumping online, dieing a few times, playing singleplayer, or getting help from a better player.

Nobody NEEDS to learn from joining a noob game to get help, or even by reading these forum posts.  All these things just help to improve the rate at which you get better.  There is no harm in that, and coming hear saying you didn't need it isn't saying much.  Nobody does.  It just helps.

January 4, 2010 6:23:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting RAWRRRR,

ur right.. just sending someone to college doesn't give them a PhD either.  But false on the last part.. you can put what you learn into effective use immediately.

Do brain surgeons have practice on live brains b4 putting what they learn into effective use?  God I hope not  

Actually in college they dont just read books on a matter but put what they read to practice in training and simulations. ou practice, and learn; you just don't owe that is what I supose to do than jump and just do it because unlike most guides on here most in game situations can change in an instant.

January 4, 2010 6:33:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

simulator still isn't the real deal, yet they are expected perfect performance the first time in.  I would put simulator on par with playing single player a few times.  Not the real deal, but you get the gist of things.  

I don't care who you are, if you read a few guides and go online to play your first game, you aren't going to win unless you are playing a tard.  You need actual game experience, whether it be jumping online, dieing a few times, playing singleplayer, or getting help from a better player.

You can definitely figure out how to play with the wealth of knowledge on these forums + doing a few single player games to figure out how things work (shops, flags, roughly how long it feels to get gold, tower range, ability range.. etc).  The only problem is most people don't do it.

You fit into the last sentence BlacJack

January 4, 2010 6:54:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting RAWRRRR,
simulator still isn't the real deal, yet they are expected perfect performance the first time in.  I would put simulator on par with playing single player a few times.  Not the real deal, but you get the gist of things.  

You can definitely figure out how to play with the wealth of knowledge on these forums + doing a few single player games to figure out how things work (shops, flags, roughly how long it feels to get gold, tower range, ability range.. etc).  The only problem is most people don't do it.

You fit into the last sentence BlacJack

But unlike just simply reading a book as you claim will work. A simulation puts a bit of experience and feel under the users belt, and you can't get that from just sitting back reading something. Say otherwise is ludicris!

January 4, 2010 9:46:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting RAWRRRR,

No, but they practice hacking up appendixes and gallbladders and work their way up. IE - they start in noob games and it takes years before they're "pro". Single player surgery doesn't offer up much in the way of extended gameplay.

January 4, 2010 10:55:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like talking to people, I don't like typing in the middle of a fight. I'll always avoid playing with any new players who won't hop on vent.

You can learn pretty much anything I'm going to type to you in-game from the forums. Find a build, try it out, and do what the guide tells you to do. The kind of skill you gain over time requires a much more mundane type of instruction. "Advance," "fall back a little, you don't have enough HP," "don't go to the crystal yet, stand right there until the monk heals you up, no, a little bit further back by the tower, yeah there," "please move the monk halfway between x and y point," etc.

January 4, 2010 11:00:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I rarely give karma but OP has definitely earned it with this post. 

This is an excelent idea.  Heck, I might even join one of your games.  I've been playing so little this epoch I'm finding my skills seriously slipping.  

It's all the fault of Dragon Age though!

January 4, 2010 11:08:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hey this is great! I was hoping to get Demigod last year, I wished I hadn't missed the sale but I might get one tonight when I get home since price has already dropped to USD 30.00.

How do I look into your room when I play and what do I need? Do I need Ventrillo or something or can we just type our comments. I haven't logged into a vent account yet and I'm just getting into multiplayer games since Dawn of War 2. I've played the demo offline versions of this game and finished the normal mode but I think multiplayer is going to be very different.

I hate multiplayer games especially because of a.) Lag, b.) players kick me out for being a noob. Come on man everybody was a noob one way or another and we are thankful for people who help us out once in awhile. Hopefully my multiplayer experience with Demigod will be a better one.

January 5, 2010 12:21:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is actually awesome.   I am going to start fudging around in some online games tomorrow, doesn't really matter what I'd been playing single player I guess except that it's been familiarizing me with priority items in tight situations with little cash and the need to upgrade my base...  But online, playing against folks that know the tricks will be a tricksy learning curve, (especially knowing how to run), so that's a bit intimidating.   But for the sake of just learning how the game works, gearwise and the ability to spec into differant builds according to maps/enemy setup I didn't think a bit of self-tutorial against the hardmode would be bad. 

Still, if you see me try not to flame me too bad in game, my played games, win/loss ratios etc should be a good indication of where I'm at.

And, if you still want to flame me for being on my 3rd or 4th game, or brag about your kills, what comes around goes around.

January 5, 2010 1:06:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Do brain surgeons have practice on live brains b4 putting what they learn into effective use? God I hope not

ABSOLUTELY! After medical school all doctors must complete a residency where under the guidance of experienced physicians they for lack of a better term practice on people. That said new residents start in July...NOT a good month to have elective surgery. If it makes you feel any better nuerosurgeons have a seven year residency.

So I guess you could consider the fourms med school and this noob training residency. I'm sure the noobs will be performing brain surgery any day now.

January 5, 2010 4:36:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Would you ever fly with a pilot who'd only read the books and gotten a few hours in a sim? Of course not, Pilots get their experience from actually flying the damn plane with someone more experienced sitting in the copilot's seat. Training is done in different ways depending on what is being taught.

Personally, I am a noob, I am distrustful of the internet, and have a difficult time separating the advice of the incompetent and the competent on forums, if I found a noob trainer match, I'd be a happy camper.

January 5, 2010 7:15:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I LMAO just a few minutes ago. In game someone on the opposite team tried to give me advice and tell me how to learn and play the game better; 1 second into the game, and before even the first combat actually begin.

I was like "Do this person even know who I am?" What was really said the person was trying to tell what I already new, but just about everyone on the forum knows me.... I had to mess with them.... I did everything heavenly possibly to play like a newb (without dying ); Half way through I decided to just camp at my crystal and send waves of shamblers and idols at them . Seriouly I am guessing it was just some guy who obviously never come to the board, playing a premade with his friend, and thought because I had a 18% win percent that I didn't know what to do.

January 6, 2010 7:12:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

"Do this person even know who I am?"

Who are you?

AND

If any newb gets on lagwars vent I will be glad to coach them through several games.

for me though typing = dead = verily unhappy

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000938   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.