The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The Most Fun Way to Play the Rook

By on January 1, 2010 5:11:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod ForumsExternal Link

Build Order

Level 1: Power of the Tower I

Level 2: Archer Tower

Level 3: Save 

Level 4: Power of the Tower II

Level 5: Boulder Roll And Tower of Light

Level 6: Hammer Slam I

Level 7: Power of the Tower III

Level 8: Trebuchet

Level 9: Hammer Slam II

Level 10: Power of the Tower IV 

Level 11: Boulder Roll II

Level 12: Hammer Slam III

Level 13: Hammer Slam IV

Level 14: Save

Level 15: Dizzying Force and Boulder Roll III

Level 16: God Strength I

Level 17: God Strength II

Level 18: God Strength III

Level 19: Poisoned Arrows

Level 20: Stats

Strategy:

Your job as Rook is to hold lanes and deal quick bursts of damage in group fights. You're a tank in terms of hitpoints, but don't forget that you have incredibly low armor. The longer a game goes on, the stronger you are going to become. A lot of characters like TB and QoT just kind of lose steam after level 10, but Rook has two great skill lines and a stun that continuously increases in duration. If you have an unclean beast, I would cede the mana flag to him on cataract. An over-leveled rook is almost as intimidating as an unclean beast, and he's more of a gank machine than he's given credit for. Try to save mana for boulder rolls and encourage your teammates to frequently port in when you can get a kill. Remember that kills are not the most important thing in the game, but they will give you money, and more importantly, they will let you farm warscore, gold, and experience while you knock down towers. On cataract, you can safely put pressure on the enemy's mana flag if you so wish by placing your towers in a line. Don't let the flag go yellow unless you feel you can capture it completely. Your enemies will get experience if you only cap it half way and then back off, don't forget it. But what you can do is pin them to their portal with your tower farm.

Items:

Nothing special here.

Favor: Blood of the fallen, staff of renewal,  or dark crimson vial

Start with scaled helm and banded armor. On your first trip back, buy vlemish faceguard and a teleport scroll if you can afford it.

Next, buy unbreakable boots followed by nimoth chest armor. When the money is available, switch out scaled helm and banded armor for a plenor battlecrown and eventually a narmoth's ring or  If you want to get some kills or are having trouble escaping, buy the wand of speed. If you have tons of cash even after upgrading the citadel, go for an orb of defiance and use it to burn through the cooldown of an enemy's sigil, or when your allies need time to get to you.

Whenever possible, try to buy fortified structures I,  experience I, and creep upgrades. (don't buy priests too early though). Buy teleport scrolls, sigils, and capture locks as needed.

Dark Crimson Vial

This is a very good favor item if you're an aggressive rook player. If you take DCV, I suggest that you push your lane partner really hard and try to force them to shop so you can take down a tower before FS1. I suggest hammer slam at level 3 so that you can nuke the tower while killing a creep wave and keep pushing hard.

A replay that loosely follows this build is attached.

+29 Karma | 75 Replies
January 1, 2010 5:16:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The most fun way to play rook is to not feed the other team.

January 1, 2010 5:24:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting synnworld,
The most fun way to play rook is to not feed the other team.
No you have to eat your own tower that=LOL. fun for the whole family!

January 1, 2010 5:34:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This build does not turn you into a feeder. Did you watch the replay? I had 4 kills 3 assists and 0 deaths. As long as you time their interrupts and stuns you can always tp away or sigil and finish them off.

January 1, 2010 8:05:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

trebuchet is way too good to wait until lvl 16 to take.
drop towers II for the ability to take trebuchet at lvl 8.

January 1, 2010 8:20:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

treb sucks? Well you're shakenbake so you should know rook much betetr than I do, but I've never found treb usefull for anything than longrange towerkills.

January 1, 2010 8:34:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree with lifekatana. I considered dropping it from the build, but stats are so terrible, I couldn't add more. It's GOOD for a tower rook build, because you sit in a farm and kill towers from a distance. For this build, you will move around and slam much more often, and use towers to let your allies teleport in or to help defend a tower or flag. No matter where you go, it is a good idea to put a tower so your allies can help you quickly, and to add to your dps. (unless you are totally out of mana, in which case get 2 helms) Boulder roll is an underestimated skill, it does much more than stun, it deals 400 damage to a line of enemies for 35 yards, so spamming it will add up. (15 second cooldown, 12 with SoR) If you use staff of renewal, you can stun your opponents for 2.5 seconds every 12 seconds, depriving them of a ton of damage and experience.

January 1, 2010 8:36:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Splitshadow,
This build does not turn you into a feeder. Did you watch the replay? I had 4 kills 3 assists and 0 deaths. As long as you time their interrupts and stuns you can always tp away or sigil and finish them off.

I was sppeaking in general.

January 1, 2010 8:43:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The rook is not a feeder if he's played right. The main problem people have when they play the rook is that they build a tower farm, and run out of it when they get attacked. STAY IN YOUR TOWER FARM. Although this build has no tower farm after the early game, but the stun / burst damage makes him a tough customer to try to take down. Especially if you use blood of the fallen.

January 1, 2010 9:12:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Splitshadow,
The rook is not a feeder if he's played right. The main problem people have when they play the rook is that they build a tower farm, and run out of it when they get attacked. STAY IN YOUR TOWER FARM. Although this build has no tower farm after the early game, but the stun / burst damage makes him a tough customer to try to take down. Especially if you use blood of the fallen.
It was meant to be an obvious joke. Any demigod is fun if it isn't feeding the enemy... unless youj find feeding the enemy fun than do what you do.

January 1, 2010 9:44:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It was meant to be an obvious joke. Any demigod is fun if it isn't feeding the enemy... unless youj find feeding the enemy fun than do what you do.

Oak with Last Stand II. JUGGERNAUT MODE ENGAGE. Say goodbye to half your citadel. (although a good player could counter this by using their kill money to heal the citadel with gadgets and purchase higher levels of fortified structures.)

January 1, 2010 9:58:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That falls under "Unless you find feeding your enemy fun."

January 1, 2010 10:04:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Some funny ass slamz. 

I love me a hammerslam rook

January 1, 2010 10:29:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nothing worse than a bad hammer slam rook though.

Rook players take note: Every time you skip boulder roll at level 5 in a hammer slam build, God kills a kitten.   

January 1, 2010 10:32:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lol. It's my favorite kill.

KABAM! SMITER! 

January 1, 2010 10:37:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Regulus works so well with the rook. Mines + Towers + Boulder roll = a buttload of unexpected burst damage over 2 or 3 seconds.

Boulder roll + hammer slam + snipe = death. Especially if you add in a gadget early game.

January 2, 2010 3:27:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting lifekatana,
treb sucks? Well you're shakenbake so you should know rook much betetr than I do, but I've never found treb usefull for anything than longrange towerkills.

Long range tower kills is very fun... and its an aggravating AOE attack against minions and dgs trying to take out your garden... and it enhances your other shoulder upgrades...

What isn't awesome about it?  Its about as essential at 8 as boulder roll is at 5 IMO for a hybrid or a tower rook.  I always rage quit early if my ally goes pure hammer, so I'm not sure how well it works in that build.

January 2, 2010 11:12:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I love Rook, but I always want Structural Transfer but can never fit it in.

I don't like towers myself, but between shoulder weapons, boulder roll, hammer slam, one level of towers, gods strength, and ST, I can't get a build I like.

January 2, 2010 11:54:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Long range tower kills is very fun... and its an aggravating AOE attack against minions and dgs trying to take out your garden... and it enhances your other shoulder upgrades...

The only reason you should get it at all for this build is to enhance the other shoulder upgrades. The trebuchet only does 100-200 damage on an enemy demigod, it has a slow rate of fire, and it misses almost every time if they are moving. It's much better if you're going to be sitting amidst 8 towers for half the game and it is constantly firing on towers, but if you are moving around, helping your teammates, getting teleganks, and capturing flags, half of the time it will fire off into space or miss.

I love Rook, but I always want Structural Transfer but can never fit it in.

It is a good skill, especially for taking down towers in the early game or healing yourself in the early game. I've never taken more than two levels of it because the rook has better skills to deal with. For this build, there's no space for it until the late game, where it would be useless anyway. Generally if you use the tower trick to aggro the enemy tower, you can get 5-6 hits in without taking damage. (If you have problems destroying towers without ST)

January 2, 2010 12:01:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I always used it just for an attrition fight. I'll start working on it my next days off and see what I can come up with

January 2, 2010 1:17:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have to say that at least lately, my favorite (and most rare) teammate is a good GREAT rook, especially with some or full slam.  Please join my games!  (only if ur on my team)

Maybe it's because I appreciate now someone who is effective with the characters that it takes more skill to use (i.e. not ooze UB or LE).

January 2, 2010 1:29:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I hear ya!

Nothing like tossing out RoI and fireballs with Rook as my big ol' buddy

January 2, 2010 1:38:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A slam rook does some serious damage, doesn't he? Let's look at a 3v3 fight in the endgame

Boulder roll deals 400 damage to 3 targets and stuns for 2.5 seconds

Hammer Slam deals 1700 damage to 3 targets and reduces speed by 50% for 3 seconds

Each of his hits deals an extra 150 with god strength

When he's chasing (aka waiting for boulder roll cooldown), he can still hit with his arrow towers, tower of light, and trebuchet.

Also, if you want to throw out stats (18-20), you can get 8 towers constantly pounding on his enemies.

The rook has great lane control, burst damage, and team ganking prowess.

January 2, 2010 1:43:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

He's like...a giant walking castle with a hammer or something.

January 2, 2010 3:07:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Needs more armor though. Otherwise he's a bit of a contradiction isn't he?

January 2, 2010 10:09:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Splitshadow,
Needs more armor though. Otherwise he's a bit of a contradiction isn't he?

I find it silly that the princess skin DGs have more natural amor than solid rock Rook.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.