The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Locked Post

DG Players: Tier 1, Tier 2, and Those to be Avoided

By on December 21, 2009 3:02:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This thread has been closed by pacov - a new thread has been created here:  https://forums.demigodthegame.com/383615

Why create this thread?

Simply stated, the ladder is generally not the best depiction of skill, imho.  It GENERALLY tracks who plays the game the most and/or who acts like a jerk by cheating instead of who the most talented players are.  That's not to say that everyone high up in the ladder falls into this category.  So, if I were to put together my own ladder that indicated skill, I wonder how things would shake out.  Obvious hurdles being that many highly skilled individuals don't play each other.  So, this requires either the people that don't play together to play more together (my personal choice) or I have to rely from feedback from other players.

Your part if you want to participate

Who do you guys think are the best players in demigod today?  I understand that its a team game, but individual players do tend to stand out (and I also know that one great player can't guarantee a win if he has weak teammates, etc).  I'm happy to have everyone's feedback.  I'm not looking for people to jump in and flame. Just call out who you think is great or who you'd like to see fight.  Perhaps we'll get games going.  You want to flame and talk crap, your post will probably end up deleted. 

You can nominate anyone you want.  To keep this from being a list of who likes who, several individuals that are generally considered excellent at the game will moderate the list.  If those individuals generally agree, a player can be removed or promoted in the list.

I've decided on 4 categories of players and have provided descriptions of each.  Please recommend players along with the category you feel they fit in.

Tier 1 Demigod Players:

Realistically, its my belief that there are 10-30 players in this game that are tier 1 DG players (the best). Those players shine as individuals, generally with a wide variety of characters and do not depend on a specific team or teammate to do well.  They can play exceptionally in 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, and 5v5.  These are players that do not cheat or desync games.  These are the people that you want on your team or you want to play against because you know you will get a good game.  Any player in this list or any other should currently be an active player.  

• abuggeredhedgie/awuffleablehedgie
  • cowbuttzex
  • kalelsmx
  • GM-Janook
  • gm-magnus333
  • GM-Mcshane
  • GM-Mithrander
  • GM-NinkiCZ
  • GM-Renz0kuken
  • GM-Zen_God
  • Nomilarac
  • Orcun
  • OMG-pacov
  • Paulie Carbone
  • RAWRRRR
  • ThatGuyYoulove/ boxxy_Koush
  • trousersnake

Tier 2 Demigod Players:

These are players that don't quite currently fit into highest level of players, but are good players all the same.  Perhaps they require a specific team or can only do well in specific types of games (1v1, 2v2).  The bottom line is that they aren't quite as polished or versatile as the highest level players. 

• 2nana
  • Alterschism 
  • Amazing_Hero (oak)
  • Archon_SAAR (regulus!)
  • Atma44x (torch bearer)
  • captnspaulding
  • Celmare
  • Darz4 (qot)
  • DD_Karebears
  • Epiphenomenon (beast)
  • Esuzu
  • eXXcentric
  • Grahf666
  • IamKira
  • _illuminati_
  • Iokke
  • irek1988/never-fuk-wit-a-oak
  • Jaws8you
  • Jona__
  • Jongalt26
  • Ke5trel
  • Kitty007
  • Kollecktir
  • Lethstang (oak + ub)
  • lifekatana
  • LuftBR
  • Maccilia
  • Naur (oak + da + reg)
  • Obiwhan
  • Ogham
  • peterdumptruck
  • prozombie
  • Shred_demon (demon assassin)
  • Soccer-mom
  • spooky_
  • STFNG
  • Teseer (tb)
  • Thundercles
  • xXxXxAchillesTGxXxX
  • Xynth
  • yeahneil
  • Zoahr

Tier 3 Demigod Players:

A third group (or list) would be everyone else. No need to list individuals...

Demigod Players that Should Be Avoided:

These would be specific individuals that clearly (and I mean clearly) cheat.  You don't get on this list unless I (pacov) am VERY convinced that you belong here.

• AlienWarrior - This player should be avoided.  Stat exploiter confirmed by pacov.  As of 1/5/2010, this player has 34 wins and 0 losses and is ladder ranked 34.  I played a game with him in a 1v1 with him as the host.  After confirming that the player spoke English, I asked him if he would let the stats count if I beat him (there is currently a simple exploit that enables any host in a 1v1 game to make the game disappear if they don't want the stats to be kept - Also note that this player plays almost exclusively 1v1 games).  The player did not respond to my question.  As I began to tear down both sides of the player's base, he used the stat exploit and the game vanished as a result.  The player used this exploit with about 10 minutes left in the game.  Based on his stats and skill level (read: not highly skilled), this player is clearly exploiting the stat system.
  • PrizmSmurf - This player should be avoided.  Stat exploiter and poor sport confirmed by pacov on 4/1/2010.  After losing in a 2v2 matchup, PrizmSmurf said "I hope you die a long slow death of cancer.  I mean it."  Then said, "Bet you are going to enjoy watching me desync."  Then, just before the citadel went down, desynced the game. Based on his stats, he clearly does not desync games on a regular basis, but wishing cancer on someone because they beat you in a game and then committing the one offense in demigod that can get you banned (saying you are desycning then desyncing) is a bit over the top.  I suggest you avoid him. 
+171 Karma | 1616 Replies
December 22, 2009 8:12:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting RAWRRRR,
oh.. if we're listing best players on certain characters regardless of exactly how current..

Erabus - BRiiGHTT, Shade, DS_Armyhomestar

Oak - KillerOak, ThatGuyYouLove

Beast - KalelsmX, Orcun_BL , Pacov

Rook - Posidenii, TrouserSnake69, Shinobinomono

Sedna - ErskaConti, Abuggeredhedgie, McShane87

Reg - Playgroundlegend, Irek1988

and.. best 2's team I've faced was ErskaConti / Sakke1.  They honed their strat pretty damn well.. and were always willing to make changes with interesting ideas.  I think Erska sedna is the only person who's ever outleveled me in a competitive 2v2 lol.. bought boots of speed and a nature's reckoning before monks.  Some call that stupid, I call it genius for how my team had adopted our strat against them  They were always a tough challenge to beat.  

December 22, 2009 9:00:15 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

deleted some posts due to mini-flame war.  blacklisting from thread next.  play nice kiddos.

December 22, 2009 9:12:58 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

updated

December 22, 2009 9:31:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think I've played maybe 4 people total in that list, the rest I've never even heard of lol.

December 22, 2009 9:59:47 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I think I've played with just about everyone on this list at one point or another (missing 1 or 2 people i think).  I'm thinking of removing some of the names or just crossing some out as many are inactive players now. 

Another comment on the 2 man team of erskaconti and sakke.  These 2 still stand out a bit more for me.  I've played them with various teammates and even wiped the floor with them several times, but what's most impressive to me is their adaptive playstyle.  I could play 3 games in a row with them and the difficulty would actually increase the more they got used to me and my teammates.  And if I had a teammate that couldn't adapt fast enough if they switched to a speed build, then it was gg.

December 22, 2009 10:28:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The player who I feel are the best 2nana

December 22, 2009 10:57:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

HorseStrangler  "UB"

Abuggeredheddie "Sedna"

Jona- "UB"

I'll update when I check my replays

December 22, 2009 11:20:07 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Man, I didn't even make the list.  Granted I've been gone for two months, but I thought I'd start up playing again.  With the stats reset, I can actually get pug games again! 8)

-- Tukulis

December 22, 2009 11:32:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Uhhh... I believe my DA was nominated.  Yeah, that's right.  Amazing_Oak was good too we probably should've won that game especially since we had Yetis on our team.

I see where this list is going.  It's basically an online pre-made family.  I had a family once.  They died when the info bar came out.  Now I must pug against my favor, or face the wrath of 2 hour wait times.

I guess what I'm wondering is, are these players playing each other regularly yet?  I would like to get in on that.  I request that any of the above players be removed if they have concerns for their record as synn stated earlier.

December 22, 2009 11:33:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm surprised HorseRadish isn't up there.

December 22, 2009 12:13:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Remove my name until someone mentions it. Pwease.

December 22, 2009 12:17:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I nominate Cowbuttzex.

Lot of good players up there.  I think we should end this with a vote of the best of the best, and then arrange some type of showdown.

December 22, 2009 12:29:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A show down would be good, I wouldn't mind lowering a few of those egos up there. It would be refreshing to have a team that knows what they are doing, so used to pugging.

Me and Peter vs the world.

December 22, 2009 1:06:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I see where this list is going. It's basically an online pre-made family. I had a family once. They died when the info bar came out. Now I must pug against my favor, or face the wrath of 2 hour wait times.

I guess what I'm wondering is, are these players playing each other regularly yet? I would like to get in on that. I request that any of the above players be removed if they have concerns for their record as synn stated earlier.

Are you implying that this thread exists for any purpose other than boosting the egos of players who already consider themselves great?   

But yes, you are seeing between the lines and have perhaps uncovered one of my ultra secret goals.  I actually got a little bit of this idea after a conversation with Janook a few weeks back.  It seems that his method of play has been to get with 4-6 players that are all quite good and then mix things up a bit.  So long as the skill levels are relatively even, then they just play.  So, they function LIKE a premade, but without set teams.  So, the skill level won't be quite at the level of a seasoned premade due to the extra coordination that happens due to familiarity over time, but its actually somewhat negligible if everyone is on even footing. 

A show down would be good, I wouldn't mind lowering a few of those egos up there. It would be refreshing to have a team that knows what they are doing, so used to pugging.

Me and Peter vs the world.

See, the thing is, and I'm pretty sure the case will be that most (but certainly not all) of the players on this list have pretty big egos (myself included).  You are apparently in that club as well (eg you couldn't lower anyone's ego unless you are better than them).  I also think that some people don't want to play against top level opponents specifically because they don't handle losing all that well.  I think we are all in the same boat in that we'd hate playing if all we ever did was lose.  Another reason why the top level players end up fighting random pugs here and there.  Sure, there's the aspect that there are only a few premade teams to play against or there not always being an appropriate skill level game out there, but perhaps this list will develop into a list of players that regularly play together. 

I guess what I'm wondering is, are these players playing each other regularly yet? I would like to get in on that. I request that any of the above players be removed if they have concerns for their record as synn stated earlier.

Some are, but I believe most are not. 

My ideal goal with all this would be that more of us play together and against each other on a regular basis.  The real emphasis needs to be on fighting against each other, imo, as otherwise we really will just end up forming new premades and then soon have no one to play against.  I also agree that players desyncing or pulling the host disconnect exploit or making games vanish or ending game just before the citadel falls on a loss or just being all around asses be removed from this list.  I'd rather not play these sorts of people.

December 22, 2009 2:24:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great, let's create a small, elitist, closed circle of players inside the already small and low populated community of people that play Demigod online.

Yep, it sounds like a great idea for the game's community health. Let's scare away unexperienced players a lil bit more.

"Give me a sec, you're not in the list of top players. Sorry, you can't play in this game."

December 22, 2009 3:07:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Great, let's create a small, elitist, closed circle of players inside the already small and low populated community of people that play Demigod online.
Yep, it sounds like a great idea for the game's community health. Let's scare away unexperienced players a lil bit more.
"Give me a sec, you're not in the list of top players. Sorry, you can't play in this game."

I know what you mean.  The elitist route is kind of crap, but its either keep the status quo or come up with something different.

I am open to ideas, of course.  I just tend to like thinking that is similar to Janooks.  I certainly don't object to a larger group of people with similar skill levels playing together, but it almost always is to the exclusion of other players that some don't consider as strong.  And don't you find this to be the case to some degree already?  I host a PUG game, people will join.  Someone with meh stats will join, someone will ask me to kick.  I kick, someone joins that is better and then we play. 

Consider this though - I don't, even for a second, assume that people would play solely in these types of games (high level v high level) exclusively.  I simply know that alot of us are not playing each other.  This might facilitate some more competition and also help people who have been alienated find another niche to play in.  There won't be an exclusive community of pricks that refuse to play with anyone else.  

Feel free to add to the list as people come to mind or continue this discussion of course.

December 22, 2009 3:09:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounds good Pacov, if people consider me good enough I'd love to play with you aswell in that mix thingie.

December 22, 2009 3:11:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting nomilarac,

Honestly booting n00bs from games in favor of another top player would probably be doing them a favor.  They should be playing with other n00bs.  I played a game the other day that was so blatantly one-sided from the start I felt dirty.  Those types of games were funny for a while but honestly I'd rather lose to better players and learn something.  Only problem is there are none.  That last line was inspired by PlaygroundLegend.

Playing with balanced pug teams is better but ultimately it comes down to "I lost because my partner was a terrible feeder" or "I lost because I didn't pick Oak".

You see how long this list is?  Minus Orcun who is clearly worshipped by all, everyone has a different idea of what makes a 'top player'.  There are obviously plenty of good players out there at this point.  There has to be a way to set these games up.

December 22, 2009 3:12:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i would like to second jay_buddai and phyce.  jay had a sick reg and phyce just wtfroflraped. 

oh also, hiroshima plays a SICK rook, in the style of obscenitor.  Having him on my team is a fucking joy.

a fucking joy.

oh ya, and cowbuttsex plays a disgusting TB, maybe the best ive ever seen.  and his oak isnt too shabby.  actually he plays alot of dg's on the pro level.  fuck him tho we always lose when we partner. 

December 22, 2009 3:51:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

cowbuttsex plays a disgusting TB

I don't think I've ever had the chance to see cow's tb.  Sometime soon I hope.  I know he's a great player though.  I'll update the op soon with the latest names. Nice to see some positive comments from the bullpen.

December 22, 2009 4:04:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

without updating the list and just making a quick count... we already have like 40 or so people in the list. 

December 22, 2009 4:24:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Alberto
Alterschism
Epiphenomenon
iamKira
Kitty0007
lethstang
McGreg
Obiwhan
Sevenix
Vesuvius
JudeTepes
Morpheas768
NinjaAlk
Dark_Satana
Hemp_Guy

There are a bunch more, but these are the ones I can remember playing with recently (i.e. 3 weeks ago) who haven't already made the list

December 22, 2009 4:56:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Cant help but notice how few QoTs make the list...or DAs for that matter...just a couple TBs and Regs as well.  Youd think after a year they would have a little more balancing among the toons.  Whats the goal of this list btw, I see you talking about creating a "guild" type thing where good players can play with other good players?  Is that the goal? or is it for pure bragging rights?  some other clandestine option I havent thought of?

December 22, 2009 5:03:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nomi - if that scenario actually happens, then its best for the game.  Would you want to be a nubcake in the midst of stone cold killers? Not I sir.

December 22, 2009 6:13:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Tukulis,
Man, I didn't even make the list.  Granted I've been gone for two months, but I thought I'd start up playing again.  With the stats reset, I can actually get pug games again! 8)

-- Tukulis

It's ok, nobody knows me either and I've been in since the beta.

But I'll nominate you if it makes you feel better hehe.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000657   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.