The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Some general gameplay concept questions from a newbie

By on December 20, 2009 2:27:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

arunodayt

Join Date 07/2009
+11

Well, I have played 3-4 games against the easy AI, won handsomly and am absolutely loving the game!

The problem is that I don't know how on earth am I winning and what am I supposed to do. The manual is woefully short of any sort of explanation, or maybe I read through it too quickly. I would be glad if anyone could answer some of these questions or point me to a link with information about basic game concepts.

1. When you press F4 in a game, you can select one ability which stay with you for that game. You need favour points. How do you get those darn favour points? The +15% movement is very handy for Regulus, but what if I want to have the better ones? I don't have enough favour. I am guessing that simply winning more games will give me more points, but will only Regulus games count for his facour points or will other Demigods do too?

2. Gold - how do you get that? Citadel upgrades? Items? Level up abilities? something else?

3. Same about Mana.

4. What is the difference between your levelling up and the war score of your team? What are the benefits of levelling up, apart from getting new skills? What good is the war score for? I didn't understand this by reading the manual.

5. Where do I get more gameplay concept help? I see lots of guides for specific Demigods, but to understand them I need to understand the basics first, don't I?

6. Why should I play this game in multiplayer mode? The single player is so much fun, even at low details. Can't wait for the new rig!

7. They said it needed SP3 and I almost didn't buy the game because of that. Luckily I did, and it works great for my XP SP2

8. What are the two "Demigod - Demon Assassin" registrations with serial numbers in the My Account page? Is that a goody I need to downlad?

Locked Post 34 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 20, 2009 2:46:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well first off, here's a link to some guides: https://forums.demigodthegame.com/349958

You get favour points by winning games. Playing as any Demigod will do.

You get gold by killing creeps(the guys that spawn from the portals) and enemy DG. You also also get gold overtime from your citadel and gold mines. There are also citadel upgrades that increase gold flow.

Each character naturally regenerates mana. Buying certain items will increase your mana pool and rate of regen.

Leveling up provides you with minor increases to certain attributes, such as health, in addition to new skills. War score grants you access to new citadel upgrades, and certain structures spawn at certain war ranks. Archer towers at rank 3, forts at rank 5.

You should play multiplayer if you want to face more difficult opponents and a wider array of strategies.

December 20, 2009 2:51:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A good favor item for beginners (or pros) is Blood of the Fallen. HP is king in this game.

Also, Regulus is very hard to play. He's sort of squishy. For a beginner, I would recommend Unclean Beast, Erebus, or Sedna.

Demon Assassin is a new demigod, and if you update Demigod, you can play him.

December 20, 2009 2:52:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1st - thx jager for answering some questions.

2nd - welcome to dg!

You get favour points by winning games. Playing as any Demigod will do.

Favor is sneaky.  You don't GENERALLY get favor in MP games if you are playing against AI only.  You do get favor in games against AI if you unlock achievements.  The end game summary will say you get X favor, but it is full of crap if you got an acheivement or were playing against ai only. 

If you want to play against more challenging AI, check out the modding forum for Peppe's skirmish ai.  I'm pretty confident that his ai will be much more challenging for a new player and at least makes things a little more interesting for seasoned players.

December 20, 2009 2:56:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1.)  You get favor points by performing well in games.  When the game ends, it shows statistics for certain battle objectives, such as, most kills, kill streaks, most structures destroyed, etc.  The more battle objectives you score highest in the more favor points you receive.  Winning also gets you points, as well.

2.)  You get gold from citadel upgrades, killing creeps, killing enemy demigods, and destroying structures.

3.)  Mana, like health, is constantly regenerated.  You can boost regeneration through skills and items.

4.)  Your war score increases as you capture and hold flags.  The more flags you own, the quicker your war score rises.  Your war score allows you to buy citadel upgrades.  As your war score increases more citadel upgrades become available.  Leveling up increases your stats and allows you to invest more points into your skill tree.

5.)  The more you play single player the more you will become familiar with the game.  First player is extremely easy even on Nightmare, simply because the AI is horrid.  Once you get a handle on the mechanics of the game, you can start to play multiple 'noob' games.  Reading the demigod guides can help, especially if you aren't really familiar with a specific demigod.  I recommend playing each demigod so you can understand all their skills and what their strength/weaknesses are.

6.)  Single player will get boring real quick.  Multiplayer is much more challenging as human players (well most) are much more clever than the AI.

7.)  Just FYI.  If you decide to play multiplayer and your computer is ancient, your system may bring down the game speed for everyone else.  If this is the case, I suggest avoiding multiplayer until you get a new system (or heavily turning down settings to allow the game to run at a reasonable speed).

8.)  You should upgrade the game to patch 1.20, and that should allow you to play the new Demon Assassin demigod.  Oculus hasn't been released yet, but should be (hopefully) soon.

December 20, 2009 4:31:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks JagerJack, Epiphenomenon, pacov and spector_0_0! for everyone if I am allowed to do that.

I just finished a Normal AI game with Regulus - he is quite tough in the beginning, but later on, when I have the Nova, the +40ish% fire rate, +20 life stealing, Novas doing 400 damage a hit along with +100% mana regeneration and +15% speed, he is a breeze. Even the AI Rook can't stand against it 1v1 (He is supposed to, isn't he?). I think I will try Unclean Beast next

I am not going to play multiplayer until I get a new PC - right now I am playing with low settings and the game runs fine except when there are literally hundreds of units and lots of towers at the same place. Well, what else can I expect with a 7300 GT? Besides, I have a 256 kbps connection (both upload/download), so I don't think I will be able to play anything other than 2v2, if that. I will try the AI patch once I get the hang of this game

I already have patch 1.2, BTW. That's one benefit of buying it online

I am guessing Oculus is the one General Demigod we can't select? Demigod Assassin became available once I logged into Multiplayer.

I think now I am getting the hang of gold, mana and health, although I am quite sure I am making terrible choices. But I have a couple of more questions:

1. The items in the artifact shop are quite expensive. Do you guys manage to buy more than one of those items in a game? In my last game, I bought a cap or something that gave me +35% fire rate and +12% life steal - making Regulus pretty much a DG killer. But I also spent a significant amount of gold on getting better units from the portal. Which is a better investment in general?

2. About Tournament - why can't I select the Rook? Also, how does it play - I mean, how are the teams made and who do you fight against?

Thanks again for reading!

December 20, 2009 5:02:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1. Mostly, no. In some cases somebody manages to buy an artifact, many times when they have gotten feeded, something you don't get very often in multi against good players. Normally you have to balance what you buy from the citadel and your own items. You need both. Normally people will buy: Fortified Structure 1 and Currency 1 asap and maybe Experience 1. When you have enough War Rank you buy priests, angels, catapults and giants.

2. About tournament, scroll down with the scroll button on the mouse. Then you can see him and Erebus.

December 20, 2009 5:07:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1. Yeah, people very rarely buy artifacts. Occasionally, players will buy a mageslayer. It's about the only artifact that's worth the price.

December 20, 2009 2:19:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks, both of you - I was stupid to not use the mousewheel!

Yeah, people very rarely buy artifacts. Occasionally, players will buy a mageslayer. It's about the only artifact that's worth the price.

I though Ashkandor was also quite nice for a high HP+damage buil. Did I think wrong?

BTW, for the first time the normal AI managed to give me a tough fight. I don't think I am going to like Rook.

December 20, 2009 2:27:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I though Ashkandor was also quite nice for a high HP+damage buil. Did I think wrong?

Its considered the best late game artifact but if you have that much gold you should 1 have already won or 2 Not bought anything else which will get you killed online 

the AI doesn't help prepare you that much for online play because it dies far too often, online 6 deaths for an entire team is a lot,  but if you can win a 3v3 with all nightmare AI peppe's AI mod and hitpoints high gold low...  you could probably start online

My advice is to try reading the strategy guides in the strategy section.

Good Luck! and if you ever want to play a game just add me on your friends list!

Edit:

Rook, regulus, demon assasin, queen, and torchbearer are considered weaker than UB, Sed, Eb, and Oak

December 20, 2009 2:28:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting arunodayt,

Ashkandor is good, and will pretty much cement you as the strongest DG on the field unless your opponents have similar items. The problem, however, is its cost. With 18k gold you can upgrade the creeps that spawn from your portals all the ways to giants. Upgrading to giants or even Catapults is a much more efficient way to win the game than upgrading yourself.

December 20, 2009 3:11:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good point about that 18k requirement. Yes, it might be possible against the AI, but probably foolish against humans. Hmm...not as easy as it seems on first glance, is it? This game, I mean.

Thanks, guys and yes, I love catapult-units. UB didn't go all that well for me, unfortunately. Hmm...time to read "a tale of two beasts"!

December 20, 2009 3:27:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Bulwark... awesomer

December 20, 2009 4:12:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Will check that out too

December 20, 2009 9:21:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Artefacts are very helpful if you play single player and will play later against the stronger AI like hard and nightmare. In that games you will need them. If you play at nightmare in the tournaments your team members will be worse than the enemy. They die more often what will allow the enemy to level fast and buy expensive items. If you play 1 vs. x games then the enemy AI does not level that fast but the AI will often outnumber you. So either way you need good items to compensate that. You will have to kill the enemies fast and get gold to buy the expensive stuff. I buy Artefacts in all games I play in single player. Sometimes when the games are tought I come up until the most expensive like All Father's Ring. In single player it is much less of a problem to get enough gold for that. The enemy AI is often kinda dumb so you can kill them often easily. When you make 40 to 60 kills a game you have more than enough gold for expensive items. What artefacts to buy depend on what demigod you are playing and what you need. For example for Demigods with a high mana usage Cloak of Flames is quite good.

In addtion some demigods need some time until you know how to play them. For example I had problems to play with Unclean Beast at the beginning. Later on I realized that the UB is the easiest Demigod to play with. The same is with Rook. Rook is difficult to play at first but if you know how he is cool.

Finally if you want to play all demigods (including Oculus) yourself for example in the tournament there is somewhere here in the forum a thread that show how he can be enabled. It is nothing more than a simple change in the registry to do.

December 20, 2009 9:42:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

UB didn't go all that well for me, unfortunately.

Why not?

December 21, 2009 12:46:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just as an aside, what is the difference between minions and creeps? Whom can you control?

Quoting Der_Donnervogel,

Finally if you want to play all demigods (including Oculus) yourself for example in the tournament there is somewhere here in the forum a thread that show how he can be enabled. It is nothing more than a simple change in the registry to do.

Thanks for all that cool information.

Quoting Maccilia,

UB didn't go all that well for me, unfortunately.
Why not?

I chose my skills badly. With Ooze, I didn't take enough HP enhancers, and with spit I just plain played it wrong. But I am beginning to get some idea of as to how to play with UB. The hordes of minions fall really fast!

December 21, 2009 1:19:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

what is the difference between minions and creeps?

u control minions.

December 21, 2009 1:51:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,

what is the difference between minions and creeps?
u control minions.

youare required to be alive for minions to appear on the field.

December 21, 2009 1:53:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting JagerJack,
wider array of strategies.

Most people use the same strategy; or none at all.

December 21, 2009 2:08:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Are the minions more powerful than the creeps?

PS: Oops! It looks like my 4 year old PC has the reached its end - the temps are too high, the mouse lags and the game too. Darn! Get that i5 rig here ASAP!!!

December 21, 2009 2:55:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yes.  Also, your armor can make your minions stronger.  Check out www.demigoddb.com.

December 21, 2009 9:15:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting arunodayt,
Both have their purpose but it is important to use them in the right way. Creeps are running out of the portal and then on a defined path towards the enemy citadel. So their function is to kill the enemy towers and finally the citadel. The bigger creeps like catapults and giants are quite effective with this job, unless they are killed by an enemy demigod but this is a big "unless". The problem is that enemy demigods earn gold and experience by killing creeps. So they level faster and earn more gold when more creeps are available. So if you buy them the creeps can be seen as a boost in damage for a short time but are likely to be a problem on the long term. So creeps are good to support for example the final attack on the enemy citadel or to get some time if you are in a real trouble defending your base. Then you get some additional damage dealers. So it is usually good to wait to buy creeps until you have the war rank to buy at least catapults before you use them. Otherwise you will likely feed your enemy. There are excpetions of course. If you play on big maps with only few players so that it is a problem to kill all creep waves before they deal substantial damage at the towers early creeps could be an option. This is also true if the enemy buy creeps and you see that they start killing your towers. Then you can buy creeps to get on pair with them. Though often it is better to buy the attack and armor upgrades for your creeps. For example against Priests that is enough and this will not feed your enemy. For the cheap soldiers that you start with the towers are strong enough. It is only a good idea to buy the first upgrade for the towers so they can regenerate it they are damaged.

Creeps are used the best if you buy the big ones (or at least Priests) and when possible also some upgrades for them and then you trie to capture a portal flag near the enemy citatdel. Then lock this flag or defended it in an other way from being recaptured. The enemy demigods will be in big trouble as long as you control this portal as the creeps are a real danger to the citadel of them. They or at least some of them have to stay there and defend the citadel. The optimium is if you can capture both portal flags and lock both. Then the enemy is usually screwed.

Minions on the other hand are under your direct control. You can create them and give them commands. So you can use them more focused than creeps. Actually I am not sure how it is defined but I assume that with minions all units under your control are meant. So the units you can buy in the shop as well as the units you can create with your skills. Actually I do not play that much with generals but from the units you can buy in the shop the healing ones are the best (Priest and so on). These you should buy as they are very helpful as they heal you. As in singleplayer gold is usually not the big problem I usually buy the best of them. For the other units you can create with your skills there are big differences. Oak and Lord Erebus have good units that are more or less for free. So using them is usually a good idea. The Yetis of Sedna are not that good. They are quite expensive and you can have 4 of them at most. Usually it is better to use other skills with Sedna than putting points into the Yetis. Oculus does not have any permanent units from skill. He can have the two lightning balls but they make not enough damage. He have better skills. On the other hand it is a good idea at him to buy the units from the shop early as he has a skill that enhances his attributs based on the different minons he has. For the Queen of Thorns I can not say much. Actually I do not like how she has to be played so I have not played her for month. AFAIK her Shambler units are weak and expensive. So they are usually not considered to be skilled.

December 21, 2009 12:11:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks again, Der_Donnervogel!

You have made some very logical and detailed points. And what is more, you have also given me a line along which I can direct my future strategic thinking

December 22, 2009 9:19:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you have further questions then don't hesitate. Another hint I can give is that not everything that is posted in guides and topics here is always true when playing against the AI. Most topics here are for games human vs. human games. Although for many things there is no difference there are parts of the game where things that are useful against humans do not work that well against the AI and vice versa.

Probably the most notable thing is that in games against humans it is advicable to play cautious. You should try not to die at all costs, as you give the enemies gold that they can use for items. So in human vs. human games there are usually not many kills/death. In addition humans can work good together and make concentrated attacks on one player. So it is wise to stack HP and play cautious. This means that if you see for example that you are going to be outnumbered if you don't flee then you flee and/or call for support from the team members. When you play against the AI it is of course also good not to die but the nightmare AI has some bonuses. They get more experience and your team members are dumb. So if you play the same style as with humans then you play too cautious. This will limit your ability to stay in tough with the AI or even outlevel them. For example the AI is not as good in concentrate on a player. You can manage to win also for example in 1 vs. 2 or even in 1 vs. 3 situations. For example in the following post

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/370605/page/3/#2480762

you can find a replay of a game of me where I played a 1 vs. 5 Rook Nightmare AIs game. So in single player you can play more aggressively and also use builds and strategies that will fail against humans, as stacking HP is not that important. A good strategy against the AI is not to maximise HP (and therefore the defence) but your damage output. So I use for example hardly the Blood of the Fallen Favor but instead I use Favor items like Staff of Renewal or Swift Anklet that can help me to hunt down the enemy. The same is true with the other items. I do not but that much health items like in many guides are suggested. Instead I usually buy more mana items, even with melelee demigods like Unclean Beast. The reason for that is that the AI very often does not team up against you but you fight always more or less in 1 vs. 1 situations, even if more than one demigod stay close to each other. The others may fight against creeps or towers very often if you wait for the right moment for your attacks and make your attack so you do not stay in the middle of them. So if you are superior in damage output you can often kill the enemy before he can deal substantional damage to you, as also the AI does not stack that much HP. You can kill one after the other. So when you play for example with the Unclean Beast it is the best when you trie to never run out of mana so you can use Spit and Foul Grasp every time the countdown has finished. The same is true with other demigods. I try to never run out of mana (in the early game this is difficult of course as you lack the items). So against the AI you can also trie things that are not so easy as against humans. For example it is possible to make Rook to an aggressive killer machine by using the Swift Anklet and at least one speed item. So you can hunt the enemy and with the shoulder wheapons, Hammer Slam, Boulder Roll and the high auto attack damage this kind of Rook can be a real killer.

So do not only look at the guides here in the forum but also do some experiments for your own.

December 22, 2009 9:29:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000734   Page Render Time: