The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Oculus is a waste of a good minotaur

By on November 30, 2009 10:07:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm honestly disapointed that when we get a minotaur hero he's a blind sorcerer stuck in a wheelchair. You could have used any race as a lightning throwing mage that we're getting as Oculus. Why take a minotaur and limit him to the throne?

I had expected an up close and personal assassin from a minotaur demigod. He could have been something like the Light side's Unclean Beast. A gigantic minotaur wielding a two handed sword with a charge move and a berserker aura that could compete with Beast in autoattack mayhem. That would have been great.

'Wheels' is a just a letdown in terms of concept. The Demon Assassin is cool enough although I don't know why he wasn't given a real name.

+8 Karma | 39 Replies
November 30, 2009 10:12:16 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

?

November 30, 2009 10:19:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Actually no an minotaur wouldn't even be an assassin. I do see him as a mage because one with age comes wisdom, and mages are the ones who benefit most from it. Secondly A minotaur mage really seems fine to me because it holds the fine majestic wiseman look.

November 30, 2009 10:42:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You want  a stereotype "brute force" minotaur. Generic&boring no thank you.

November 30, 2009 10:47:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And thanks to him, now Demigod needs all sorts of Handycap Accessable flags and shops.

November 30, 2009 10:49:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Haree78,
?

I'm honestly disapointed that when we get a minotaur hero he's a blind sorcerer stuck in a wheelchair. You could have used any race as a lightning throwing mage that we're getting as Oculus. Why take a minotaur and limit him to the throne?

I had expected an up close and personal assassin from a minotaur demigod. He could have been something like the Light side's Unclean Beast. A gigantic minotaur wielding a two handed sword with a charge move and a berserker aura that could compete with Beast in autoattack mayhem. That would have been great.

'Wheels' is a just a letdown in terms of concept. The Demon Assassin is cool enough although I don't know why he wasn't given a real name.

I love irony, and didn't you just contradict your own argument here?

November 30, 2009 11:00:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting heavenlysynn,

Quoting Haree78,
reply 1
?

quoting post

I don't contradict myself at all. I said that I don't like the concept of a blind old minotaur stuck in a throne and throwing lightning bolts. I would have preferred a light side assassin that would compare with Unclean Beast's style of play. Now that we've got a minotaur Demigod it's unlikely we'll get another. The next assassin will be something else entirely.

There's nothing ironinc or contradictory about my point.

November 30, 2009 11:07:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting heavenlysynn,
Actually no an minotaur wouldn't even be an assassin. I do see him as a mage because one with age comes wisdom, and mages are the ones who benefit most from it. Secondly A minotaur mage really seems fine to me because it holds the fine majestic wiseman look.

I'm disappointed more because of what we're not getting than because of what we are getting. While I'm not crazy about Oculus, he's not terrible as-is. What stinks is that I'm sure we aren't going to see another minotaur as a demigod. The next assassin general should be light side and a big minotaur would have been a perfect fit. That won't be happening now that we've got Oculus. That's too bad.

November 30, 2009 11:08:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ChromeWeasel,

Quoting heavenlysynn, reply 5

Quoting Haree78,
reply 1
?

quoting post

I don't contradict myself at all. I said that I don't like the concept of a blind old minotaur stuck in a throne and throwing lightning bolts. I would have preferred a light side assassin that would compare with Unclean Beast's style of play. Now that we've got a minotaur Demigod it's unlikely we'll get another. The next assassin will be something else entirely.

There's nothing ironinc or contradictory about my point.

Your words exactly, "You could have used any race as a lightning throwing mage that we're getting as Oculus. Why take a minotaur and limit him to the throne?" If they could have used any race in which they did than why are you questioning it. On top of that Oculus is refined and not a brute. You have notice how most minotaurs in media are mindless brutes dedicated to physically harming others? If you want that you have UB and Erebus. YOu just hate that he doesn't fit the way you depict minotaurs to act and look.

November 30, 2009 11:14:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ChromeWeasel,

Quoting heavenlysynn, reply 2Actually no an minotaur wouldn't even be an assassin. I do see him as a mage because one with age comes wisdom, and mages are the ones who benefit most from it. Secondly A minotaur mage really seems fine to me because it holds the fine majestic wiseman look.

I'm disappointed more because of what we're not getting than because of what we are getting. While I'm not crazy about Oculus, he's not terrible as-is. What stinks is that I'm sure we aren't going to see another minotaur as a demigod. The next assassin general should be light side and a big minotaur would have been a perfect fit. That won't be happening now that we've got Oculus. That's too bad.

Firstly why would you want more than one of the same race? Each own race add to the uniqueness of the character. Next assassin general....what I didn't even understand that. There is no set fighting style or type for any race, elves can melee and giants can cast spells. We just have this comfort zone that tells us where so and so mythical creature should be put and that is both generic and boring.

November 30, 2009 11:36:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ever played as Oculus? He is great! An old wise minotaur, nothing to complain about  
 except he would have been cooler walking :/

November 30, 2009 11:39:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting UnrealShadow,
Ever played as Oculus? He is great! An old wise minotaur, nothing to complain about  
 except he would have been cooler walking :/
nothing can beat riding, I thought QoT taught you that!

November 30, 2009 11:51:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting heavenlysynn,

Quoting ChromeWeasel,
reply 7

Quoting heavenlysynn, reply 2Actually no an minotaur wouldn't even be an assassin. I do see him as a mage because one with age comes wisdom, and mages are the ones who benefit most from it. Secondly A minotaur mage really seems fine to me because it holds the fine majestic wiseman look.

Firstly why would you want more than one of the same race? Each own race add to the uniqueness of the character. Next assassin general....what I didn't even understand that. There is no set fighting style or type for any race, elves can melee and giants can cast spells. We just have this comfort zone that tells us where so and so mythical creature should be put and that is both generic and boring.

Wow do you ever manage to miss my point completely.

"Firstly why would you want more than one of the same race? Each own race add to the uniqueness of the character."

I don't and never said I did want more of the same race. I'm sure that we've got all the minotaur demigods we are going to get. I already said that severals times.

"Next assassin general....what I didn't even understand that. "

Light side has an extra general now (Oak, Sedna, Oculus vs Erebus and Queen of Thorns). Dark side has an extra assassin (Torchbearer, Beast, Demon Assassin vs Rook and Regulus). When the next round of Demigods are released, don't you think that will be evened out? Seems pretty easy to understand.

"There is no set fighting style or type for any race, elves can melee and giants can cast spells. We just have this comfort zone that tells us where so and so mythical creature should be put and that is both generic and boring."

A big powerful minotaur would be cooler than the crippled one that we're getting. A light side assassin along the lines of Unclean Beast's playstyle would be great. And I reject your ridiculous claim about generic and boring stereotypes. If I was stuck in the realm of stereotypes than I wouldn't accept a light side minotaur at all. In typical fiction minotaurs have been dark side creatures (Greek mythology, Dragonlance, Narnia). I'm happy to have new takes on old creatures. I just don't like this take. I would have liked a different version.

November 30, 2009 12:13:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ChromeWeasel,

Quoting heavenlysynn, reply 9

Quoting ChromeWeasel,
reply 7

Wow do you ever manage to miss my point completely.

"Firstly why would you want more than one of the same race? Each own race add to the uniqueness of the character."

I don't and never said I did want more of the same race. I'm sure that we've got all the minotaur demigods we are going to get. I already said that severals times.

"Next assassin general....what I didn't even understand that. "

Light side has an extra general now (Oak, Sedna, Oculus vs Erebus and Queen of Thorns). Dark side has an extra assassin (Torchbearer, Beast, Demon Assassin vs Rook and Regulus). When the next round of Demigods are released, don't you think that will be evened out? Seems pretty easy to understand.

"There is no set fighting style or type for any race, elves can melee and giants can cast spells. We just have this comfort zone that tells us where so and so mythical creature should be put and that is both generic and boring."

A big powerful minotaur would be cooler than the crippled one that we're getting. A light side assassin along the lines of Unclean Beast's playstyle would be great. And I reject your ridiculous claim about generic and boring stereotypes. If I was stuck in the realm of stereotypes than I wouldn't accept a light side minotaur at all. In typical fiction minotaurs have been dark side creatures (Greek mythology, Dragonlance, Narnia). I'm happy to have new takes on old creatures. I just don't like this take. I would have liked a different version.

You just contradicted yourself again and not only that your arguing crap this very relevant to gameplay at all. You say your not stuck in the realm of stereotype, but you stand here complaining instead of having a big powerful minotaur ( Which false into the realm of stereotype.) We have a cripple one. Not counting who knows how many years Oculus has lived, or the knowledge he possess which would make him a better sorcerer than a big brute swinging his hammer around only knowing the ways of war and combat.OR a crazed bloodsucker who gone from immature to trying to rule over all.

Light side and darkside doesn't even matter in this game. We gain nor losing anything due to the side the demigod is on I would care more that the next demigod was female or actually black before I cared which side they put it on. Your are just playing on the demigods race and looks, but not even caring to take the demigods backstory into consideration.

November 30, 2009 12:43:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, let's be honest here... most every other DG in the game is offspring from the fallen god. So uhhh... yeah, not sure what angle StarDock is trying to promote with DA and Occulus.

November 30, 2009 1:20:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

have to agree with the OP.

oculus simply doesn't feel convincing. 

It's just a minotaur as Blind Io who is a variation of Odin. A minotaur Odin.  A minotaur with lightning. And big balls.

November 30, 2009 1:42:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting heavenlysynn,

"Light side and darkside doesn't even matter in this game."

Totally incorrect. Light and Dark are distinctly different sides in Pantheon. I will never have Sedna and Unclean Beast on the same team. I will never have Oculus and Demon Assassin on the same team. Dark side and Light side are significant, core components of how this game is played.

Quoting heavenlysynn,

"We gain nor losing anything due to the side the demigod is on I would care more that the next demigod was female or actually black before I cared which side they put it on. Your are just playing on the demigods race and looks, but not even caring to take the demigods backstory into consideration.

Again, you're dead wrong on your point. Either you have no idea how Pantheon works or you choose to ignore half the online game modes. You can disagree with my opinion that Oculus is a waste of a minotaur. That's just a difference of opinion. But you can't argue that Light and Dark side doesn't make a difference in this game. It's a core game concept.

November 30, 2009 1:50:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm with Chromeweasel on this, but I'll take what I can get.

November 30, 2009 1:54:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just don't get why he has Blast Off. It's too short a range to really run away with and hes ranged, why would you wanna jump closer to peps?

Thats my only issue.

November 30, 2009 3:34:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting LORD-ORION,
Well, let's be honest here... most every other DG in the game is offspring from the fallen god. So uhhh... yeah, not sure what angle StarDock is trying to promote with DA and Occulus.
At least for Oculus GPG has made it quite clear where the connection is. If I remember correctly then Oculus is the reason why the god is fallen. This god helped Oculus but was not allowed to do this. For this reason he was punished and also the serfs of Oculus are punished as they have to fight in the tournament as soldiers. Oculus himself is the allowed to be a contestent to save his people (or something like this, I have read it only once).

The DA on the other hand says something like he has already been a god when you win the tournament with him.

@Topic

I think Oculus is fine like he is. Some minotauren warrior with some axe would also have been ok but I think the wise old king of the minotaurs that can summon lightning is also fine.

November 30, 2009 4:42:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The animation department doesn't have enough money to make a walking Occulus.

November 30, 2009 4:54:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Der_Donnervogel,

Quoting LORD-ORION, reply 14Well, let's be honest here... most every other DG in the game is offspring from the fallen god. So uhhh... yeah, not sure what angle StarDock is trying to promote with DA and Occulus. At least for Oculus GPG has made it quite clear where the connection is. If I remember correctly then Oculus is the reason why the god is fallen. This god helped Oculus but was not allowed to do this. For this reason he was punished and also the serfs of Oculus are punished as they have to fight in the tournament as soldiers. Oculus himself is the allowed to be a contestent to save his people (or something like this, I have read it only once).
The DA on the other hand says something like he has already been a god when you win the tournament with him.

@Topic

I think Oculus is fine like he is. Some minotauren warrior with some axe would also have been ok but I think the wise old king of the minotaurs that can summon lightning is also fine.
Wait what.... I ganna re read his story cause I think I missed something. I remember him killing his father and yers later his people vanishing for their crimes.

Quoting Aroddo,
have to agree with the OP.

oculus simply doesn't feel convincing. 

It's just a minotaur as Blind Io who is a variation of Odin. A minotaur Odin.  A minotaur with lightning. And big balls.

We got a human becoming a rook, demons being summoned through magic books, and hell TB was burnt alive but somehow his clothes were magically untouched by the fire; yet his flesh was. Then Sedna and rooks stories are a bit clitche and oak's story is; ok I really can't say much on oaks story. Oculus' story is more whole shows how his character was shape which only other characters story that do that are reg, tb, and queen. So what really feels un conviencing about it? Is it because he's blind, not a melee brawler like most minotaurs are potriayed?

Personally I don't see odin in him. I get more of a none sexual zeus feeling from him.

Quoting ChromeWeasel,

Quoting heavenlysynn, reply 13
"Light side and darkside doesn't even matter in this game."
Totally incorrect. Light and Dark are distinctly different sides in Pantheon. I will never have Sedna and Unclean Beast on the same team. I will never have Oculus and Demon Assassin on the same team. Dark side and Light side are significant, core components of how this game is played.

Quoting heavenlysynn, reply 13
"We gain nor losing anything due to the side the demigod is on I would care more that the next demigod was female or actually black before I cared which side they put it on. Your are just playing on the demigods race and looks, but not even caring to take the demigods backstory into consideration.
Again, you're dead wrong on your point. Either you have no idea how Pantheon works or you choose to ignore half the online game modes. You can disagree with my opinion that Oculus is a waste of a minotaur. That's just a difference of opinion. But you can't argue that Light and Dark side doesn't make a difference in this game. It's a core game concept.

Ok so they divide the demigods up thats an obvious fact, but thats it. We get no special items, creeps, upgrades, or skills from playing light or dark. We do get this from playing either assassin or general, but outside the characters alignmnet its a pointless factor in game as I have already statement. If you say I'm dead wrong than prove it, and tell me what can you do on light or dark that you can't do on the other outside playing certain demigods?

November 30, 2009 5:13:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting heavenlysynn,
If you say I'm dead wrong than prove it, and tell me what can you do on light or dark that you can't do on the other outside playing certain demigods?

LOL, which demigods you are allowed to play is a significant game mechanic. First you dismissed it as if it didnt exist, now you want to ignore it because it proved you dead wrong. Once again, here's your origninal post:

"Light side and darkside doesn't even matter in this game. We gain nor losing anything due to the side the demigod is on I would care more that the next demigod was female or actually black before I cared which side they put it on. Your are just playing on the demigods race and looks, but not even caring to take the demigods backstory into consideration."

You are 100% wrong on your original point. The very first thing a newbie sees when he plays Pantheon is that you choose a side, and that choice makes a difference. Light side limits you to specific gods. Dark side limites you to the other half of demigods available. Dark side has limited healing options compared to light side. That's because Sedna is a far more effective healer than any other demigod. Light side is the only side that can drop down a tower, which can allow allies to teleport into a remote area. Dark side now is the only side that can physically move an opponent via Demon Assassin's warp powers.

It's really laughable that you'd make a statement like We gain nor losing anything due to the side the demigod is on and actually try to stand by it! It's a totally absurd statement in this game considering that Pantheon is defined by catagorizing demigods onto one side or the other.

November 30, 2009 5:23:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ChromeWeasel,

Quoting heavenlysynn, reply 21If you say I'm dead wrong than prove it, and tell me what can you do on light or dark that you can't do on the other outside playing certain demigods?
LOL, which demigods you are allowed to play is a significant game mechanic. First you dismissed it as if it didnt exist, now you want to ignore it because it proved you dead wrong. Once again, here's your origninal post:

"Light side and darkside doesn't even matter in this game. We gain nor losing anything due to the side the demigod is on I would care more that the next demigod was female or actually black before I cared which side they put it on. Your are just playing on the demigods race and looks, but not even caring to take the demigods backstory into consideration."

You are 100% wrong on your original point. The very first thing a newbie sees when he plays Pantheon is that you choose a side, and that choice makes a difference. Light side limits you to specific gods. Dark side limites you to the other half of demigods available. Dark side has limited healing options compared to light side. That's because Sedna is a far more effective healer than any other demigod. Light side is the only side that can drop down a tower, which can allow allies to teleport into a remote area. Dark side now is the only side that can physically move an opponent via Demon Assassin's warp powers.

It's really laughable that you'd make a statement like We gain nor losing anything due to the side the demigod is on and actually try to stand by it! It's a totally absurd statement in this game considering that Pantheon is defined by catagorizing demigods onto one side or the other.

Lets time I checked those are mechanics that belongs to the DEMIGODS Not the division of light and dark. So literally you have proved nothing but the fact that the light and the dark divides the demigods. How does the dicision effect my creeps, how does it effect my upgrades? How does it even effect the map; the answer is it doesn't. The points your trying to make do not prove the worthwhile of the division, but only proves the worth while of the demigods you choose. So lets try again what effects out side demigod selection (Which you seem to have missed) Does the light and the dark have in game?

November 30, 2009 5:29:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Teseer,
And thanks to him, now Demigod needs all sorts of Handycap Accessable flags and shops.

LOL.

Anyways, if you have enough energy to get fed up on something as small as this, you have enough energy to go out and make your own minotaur mod. I don't see a reason why you should bother the community with this complaint.

November 30, 2009 5:31:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oculus had one weakness...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.