Join Date 02/2007
+90

QoT Skin Project Release #1 & 2: Updated 12/30/09

Installation Instructions

1. Backup your original Demigod Skins
    1. For the QoT and current skins those files are
      1. ..\Stardock Games\Demigod\bindata\characters\Queen\queen_albedo.dds
      2. ..\Stardock Games\Demigod\bindata\characters\Queen\flower_Albedo.dds
    2. Create the Folder: ..\Stardock Games\Demigod\bindata\characters\Queen\Backup\
    3. Copy all of the *.dds files from ..\Stardock Games\Demigod\bindata\characters\Queen\ to this folder
  2. Download the skins you want to use
    1. Save the new skins to ..\Stardock Games\Demigod\bindata\characters\Queen\NewSkins\
  3. Delete the queen_albedo.dds & Flower_Albedo.dds from ..\Stardock Games\Demigod\bindata\characters\Queen\
  4. Copy the skin files that you want to use from the download folder to the base folder
    1. Download folder: ..\Stardock Games\Demigod\bindata\characters\Queen\NewSkins\
    2. Base folder: ..\Stardock Games\Demigod\bindata\characters\Queen\
    3. You may need to extract the files from an archive (i.e., unzip them)
  5. Rename the skin files
    1. Example 1: Queen_Albedo.dds
      1. You want to use the monarch_queen_albedo.dds
      2. You would copy it to the base folder and rename it queen_albedo.dds
    2. Example 2:
      1. You want to use the blue_flower_albedo.dds
      2. You would copy it to the base folder and rename it flower_albedo.dds

How to enable the Mod

Once you have copied and renamed the files, the skin change is automatically in effect. Only you will see the new skins.

Skins

Pictures for the skins can be seen either below in this post or in my other posts in this thread.

Queen_albedo.dds

flower_albedo.dds

SpecTeam.dds

• The current skins do not rely on changing the *SpecTeam.dds. With more interesting skins changes to those files may be necessary.

Examples:

Skin 1 at high visual settings at close and medium distances.

Skin 2 at high visual settings at close and medium distances.

I would like to point out how much of the actual skin tone is visible at the medium distance. This is approximatelythe distance that I typically play at, others may of course use different settings.

Skin 3:

I'm currently hosting these files at mediafire. It may be necessary at some point to host them at a different location.

Here is the original Post I made on the subject. I've edited the above to reflect the current status of the project.

Skin changes seem to be relatively trivial to do. I was able to do it.

My first attempts have focused on the QoT. I posted some of my findings in Chirmaya's DDS thread, however I thought I'd move things over to a new thread as to not fill his with unnecessary graphics.

This is the work so far. I've successfully added in rough approximations of a monarch butterfly's wings and added a bit more color to the flower. The left image is at low visual settings, the middle at high visual settings, and the right at low visual settings and a slightly modified wing pattern (a larger dark line at the top of the upper wings).

My personal thoughts are that I should create something halfway between the two wing designs, a little heavier dark line, but not as much as in the 3rd image. I also should replace the red glow (apparent in image 2), with a softer or whiter glow.

Any thoughts from the audience?

Also, unless I am mistake, it should be possible to have multiple skins present and then create a mod that randomly selects one skin when you play a game. That should allow for some interesting effects. It should count as a UI mod, however I can also see that changing the model could impact gameplay, thus I'm not sure if it will work out in the long run.

Locked Post 55 Replies +1 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
SyDaemon
December 2, 2009 2:52:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like the original changed with the flowers.

But the skin change is yucky. You cannot see any of her details or her vines.

December 2, 2009 3:29:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,

Are you serious I see the vines perfectly.

December 2, 2009 3:32:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

edit / deleted

December 2, 2009 3:41:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,

exactly,

from distance I cant see any details now, just a dark mass, whithout any contrasts !

her look was very good before, red hair, red eyes with dark margins, but with black skin I cant see the margins, her eyes are lost, her vines dont contrast with the body any longer....

December 2, 2009 3:57:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Do i dare to saiy.... QoT nude patch?

December 2, 2009 4:14:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Edit by request. -Delete-

December 2, 2009 4:24:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Walkerz9994,
Do i dare to saiy.... QoT nude patch?

I would be willing to donate for that!  (and the dark oak as mentioned in a previous post!)

j

December 2, 2009 5:51:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good Morning,

I see some concerns expressed at the current skinning. I thought I'd clear up some things.

• I am planning on making a number of different skins for the QoT model. Some of them will have darker skin tones than others. My current attempt is focusing on a Black skin toned QoT because it offered the greatest difference on all features. It was also an interesting artistic challenge. However, it won't be the only skin tone, nor the only skin, nor does anyone have to use it if they don't want to.
  • My eventual plan is to have a series of 10 or even 20 different QoT skins. People can use them or not as they choose. The skin that you choose to use, will only change your visuals, it will NOT change the visuals for other players.
  • Racial Tension. It might just be me (I blame having to spend too much time in a occupation with too much of a focus on Ethnic Sensitivity), but I think I am seeing the begining of what may be interpreted as racial tensions upon viewing the QoT Black skin. Really folks, it is just a picture. If you like it, great. If you don't like it, great. It doesn't matter. Nor does it seem like its a good idea spending time complaining about how people view you. Your actions are sufficient to describe yourself, making claims and insulting other doesn't get us anywhere.
  • I know everyone here is a responsible person, who is trying to what they think best. However, some of the earlier comments are getting out of hand. I'm not placing blame, I just want our community, or at least my little QoT Skinning thread to be a mature place. That being said, here is some advice from my soapbox. Some of us are more prone to provocation than others. Those of us who are prone, we should probably relax a little and let things go. Those of us who like to provoke, well we should probably stop being mean. Really, it doesn't get us anywhere.

Now, on to some technical details

• Transparent parts (aka, the Nude QoT)
    • Without a model change I haven't been able to accomplish this. I may be able to achieve this by using one of the shaders, however that will double the complexity of the mod.
    • My personal goal was not to make the QoT nude, but to create more clothing options sans vines, to change the shape of her wings, and to change the shape of her flower.
  • Texture Contrast
    • The contrast on the current dark skinned QoT is fairly low. This is a natural result of using a darker skin tone. I have increased the contrast by making the vines greener. I'm currently experimenting with the highlighting and reflections of the model. 
    • Most of this will have no real affect on the game because of the zoom level. Most of the time when we are playing, we are zoomed out to a point that the features and textures of the QoT (or any demigod) are trivial. T
    • he most important differences that I've made (and the ones no one seem to have cared about) are the flower color enhancement and the wing pattern change. These are the only really noticeable differences that I've made. Furthermore, both of these differences do make her more distinct.
  • specTeam.dds
    • This is the file that controls the shading, highlighting, and reflections.
    • It is annoying to work with.
    • The effects only show up under High Visual Settings.
    • They do wierd things.
    • They are really annoying to work with.
    • This is the major hold up in actually making some decent skins. I have a bunch now, but I don't like the highlighting.
  • What does this mod consist of?
    • This isn't a mod like the other mods.
    • This is a mod that is simple.
    • Each skin requires 1 or 2 files.
    • To use the skin mod, all you have to do is replace the queen_albedo.dds (and sometimes the queen_SpecTeam.dds) files with the ones for the skin
    • No other changes are currently necessary.
    • This does not use the mod functions of Demigods. I honestly have tried making them work with the modding functions yet, because it isn't necessary. Furthermore, if I get a skin randomizer working, as it stands now, it will have to work outside of the demigods program.
  • QoT Skins
    • I've got a number of different ideas for different types of parts.
    • If everything goes well, each part will be able to be randomly mixed and matched producing a tremendous number of QoT skins.
    • If everything fails, each skin will have to be created and maintained separately.
  • Qot Skin Parts
    • These are some of the ideas I have for skins. Please feel free to make tasteful suggestions.
    • Skin tone
      • White, Black, Asian, Indian, Irish
    • Hair Color
      • Vibrant Red, Black, White, Blonde
    • Flowers
      • Several different rose variations, also drift into orchid, lily, and rose-like species
    • Clothes
      • A trickier problem. I can't make or edit any models until we get a granny converter or something. Even if we did I'm not sure that the engine would function with a modified mesh.
      • As it stands, clothes are restricted to being form fitting color changes of her skin.
      • There is no real choice with textures. I do have some control over the reflection, highlighting, and such.
      • The vines are going to always be present (unless the shaders can be gimmicked into working)
      • Leotards, skin tight pants, gloves, boots and similar items are possible
    • Unique Forms
      • Some themed forms that maybe neat
      • Marble Statue, Pure White, Pure Black, Santa Claus, Drow Elf, Super Girl, Catwoman, Batgirl, Angel, Martian, Poison Ivy,
    • Wing Designs
      • I've gotten Monarch Butterfly and Starfield Wings functional. They look pretty good.
      • There are tons of other designs possible.
December 2, 2009 6:32:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ptarth,

Thanks for your very informative post and your creative work.  I'm looking forward to the new queens.  And for the folks who just can't imagine a queen of another color, please leave and stop trolling this thread.  Don't discourage creativity or complain about a reskinned queen in a thread entitled "skinning QoT."

December 2, 2009 7:23:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Anyways an Asian and a black queen......Ptarth you are my new friend!!!

December 4, 2009 2:47:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

QoT Skin Project Release #1:

Installation Instructions

1. Backup your original Demigod Skins
    1. For the QoT and current skins those files are
      1. ..\Stardock Games\Demigod\bindata\characters\Queen\queen_albedo.dds
      2. ..\Stardock Games\Demigod\bindata\characters\Queen\flower_Albedo.dds
    2. Create the Folder: ..\Stardock Games\Demigod\bindata\characters\Queen\Backup\
    3. Copy all of the *.dds files from ..\Stardock Games\Demigod\bindata\characters\Queen\ to this folder
  2. Download the skins you want to use
    1. Save the new skins to ..\Stardock Games\Demigod\bindata\characters\Queen\NewSkins\
  3. Delete the queen_albedo.dds & Flower_Albedo.dds from ..\Stardock Games\Demigod\bindata\characters\Queen\
  4. Copy the skin files that you want to use from the download folder to the base folder
    1. Download folder: ..\Stardock Games\Demigod\bindata\characters\Queen\NewSkins\
    2. Base folder: ..\Stardock Games\Demigod\bindata\characters\Queen\
    3. You may need to extract the files from an archive (i.e., unzip them)
  5. Rename the skin files
    1. Example 1: Queen_Albedo.dds
      1. You want to use the monarch_queen_albedo.dds
      2. You would copy it to the base folder and rename it queen_albedo.dds
    2. Example 2:
      1. You want to use the blue_flower_albedo.dds
      2. You would copy it to the base folder and rename it flower_albedo.dds

How to enable the Mod

Once you have copied and renamed the files, the skin change is automatically in effect. Only you will see the new skins.

Skins

Queen_albedo.dds

flower_albedo.dds

SpecTeam.dds

• The current skins do not rely on changing the *SpecTeam.dds. With more interesting skins changes to those files may be necessary.

Examples:

Skin 1 at high visual settings at close and medium distances.

Skin 2 at high visual settings at close and medium distances.

I would like to point out how much of the actual skin tone is visible at the medium distance. This is approximately the distance that I typically play at, others may of course use different settings.

I'm currently hosting these files at mediafire. It may be necessary at some point to host them at a different location.

So that's the first batch. Tell me what you think people.

December 4, 2009 7:55:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You will have to walk me through this one

We place the files in the back up folder and rename the original? Also do we keep the queen_albedo.dds ?

December 4, 2009 11:50:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I made the installation instructions more explicit.

The key to the process is replacing the queen_albedo.dds & flower_albedo.dds files. All the rest is just minor details.

The base directory for the QoT Skins is ..\Stardock Games\Demigod\bindata\characters\Queen\

I would suggeset making a backup of your original files and keeping a set of the skins you download. That way you can reuse or change things later.

Once you download the skins, move the original queen_albedo.dds & flower_albedo.ds to your backup folder. Unzip the skins and place them into the base directory. You will then have to rename them appropriately. So Monarch_black_queen_albedo.dds should be renamed queen_albedo.dds. Blue_flower_albedo.dds would be renamed flower_albedo.dds.

Better?

December 4, 2009 1:09:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

queen_albedo.dds[/quote]*[quote who="Ptarth" reply="38" id="2464564"]I made the installation instructions more explicit.

The key to the process is replacing the queen_albedo.dds & flower_albedo.dds files. All the rest is just minor details.

The base directory for the QoT Skins is ..\Stardock Games\Demigod\bindata\characters\Queen\

I would suggeset making a backup of your original files and keeping a set of the skins you download. That way you can reuse or change things later.

Once you download the skins, move the original queen_albedo.dds & flower_albedo.ds to your backup folder. Unzip the skins and place them into the base directory. You will then have to rename them appropriately. So Monarch_black_queen_albedo.dds should be renamed queen_albedo.dds. Blue_flower_albedo.dds would be renamed flower_albedo.dds.

Better?

*bangs head against labtop* Only thing I didn't do was rename the file......

Quick question is it possible to make TBs fire black? (yea blacks my fav color )

December 4, 2009 1:30:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Probably? I haven't looked at it, but I know the projectiles are modifiable.

December 4, 2009 1:38:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ptarth,
Probably? I haven't looked at it, but I know the projectiles are modifiable.
oh if that could be done it would look so epic.

December 4, 2009 1:41:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Have you tried making this into a mod that can be enabled and disabled?  You should be able to mod the queen's mesh blueprint file and change the lines for AlbedoName, SpecularName, etc., to point to your files.

So your mod would include the dds files in "/mods/[your mod name]/Queen", and the new blueprint at "/mods/[your mod name]/hook/characters/Queen/queen_mesh.bp".  And the path for AlbedoName in the bp file would be changed to "/mods/[your mod name]/Queen/queen_albedo.dds".  Etc. for the flower and specular/normal dds files when you add them.

This way people won't risk deleting the original skins if they forget to back up, and you won't have to move files around to switch skins.

I think it should still be considered a UI mod, because you're just changing the blueprint file, but I'm not sure about that.

December 4, 2009 2:24:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great work, nice to see some higher order modding coming.  I love the look of the red petals.  Really cool stuff.

December 4, 2009 2:31:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is turning into a racial mod for Queen of Thorns. All minorities must be represented. She was fine in the first place! Although the flower chang was nice.

This is so stupid >.<

December 4, 2009 2:46:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,
This is turning into a racial mod for Queen of Thorns. All minorities must be represented. She was fine in the first place! Although the flower chang was nice.

This is so stupid >.<
We need diversity

December 4, 2009 3:08:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I believe I mentioned some of my findings in regard to setting up skin changes in earlier posts in the thread. I'll summarize my findings here in a more obvious place and make them a little more concise.

There are (at least) two ways to change skins.

1. Alter the blueprint files to point at different dds files.
    1. This requires making a non-UI mod
    2. As a non-UI mod, this requires that all players have the mod enabled for any of the players to use it
  2. Replace the dds files that the blueprints reference.
    1. This does not require any modding support from the demigods engine.
    2. This allows players to use the mod regardless of other players

My blueprint changes were not activated when I set UIOnly to true, whereas when UIOnly was set to false, everything worked as expected. This suggests that blueprint changes (perhaps any blueprint changes) require UIOnly FALSE.

December 5, 2009 12:01:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just installed the dark-skinned queen with enhanced red flower.  She looks beautiful in-game; sorta reminds me of Beyonce.  Good work!

+1 karma

December 5, 2009 12:09:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting the_hunger,
Just installed the dark-skinned queen with enhanced red flower.  She looks beautiful in-game; sorta reminds me of Beyonce.  Good work!

+1 karma
I was thinking more of Cleopatra.

December 14, 2009 5:03:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good work

December 31, 2009 1:07:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm been somewhat disenchanted with modding, so progress has been slow lately. Here is a new skin for the New Year.

Download: QoT2_Skin

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000422   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.