The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

What I would have liked to have seen improved by now but isn't addressed :(

By on November 2, 2009 12:51:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Demigod was a fun game that I have played in a 'lite' manner since it was released, I always felt it needed some big improvements in certain areas for me to include the game more in my gaming schedule.  The game has much improved since release but there are some issues that really make me boot up others games than Demigod.

1) The AI - Sometimes I want to try things out in a known environment or sometimes I just like to test myself against the machine or enjoy a 5v5 that can't be done online.  Also me and my friends have been known to Comp Stomp for fun.  The AI is seriously lacking still though.  More specifically the AI's ability to retreat is a joke, it's as if it is in a state of panic.  But most disastrous of all is the Rook AI, what is that AI doing when the Rook is trying to retreat?  He seems to jerk and stop every time he is hit making him easy pickings for even the other AIs.  Also, why does the AI often just stand around?

You can see the difference between Sins of a Solar Empire who obviously had people passionate about the AI and Demigod who like most RTS the AI is just an expensive necessity the company doesn't want to 'waste' budget on.

2) Players quitting seriously effects the enjoyment of others - When the AI takes over it's such a kick in the nads for the rest of the players on that team.  Why does the other team get so rewarded for picking on the stupid AI so much?  I am at a loss why this hasn't been adjusted so that those guys that quit on their first death don't ruin it for others.

3) Pantheon Match up craziness - 3v2?  Me and another player Vs a couple of AI?  What's going on here?

4) Items are too powerful - Probably not many will agree with me here but I believe items are too powerful generally.  It makes many games just a long drawn ride to the inevitable, come backs are extremely hard and often impossible.  When the other team gets lots of money from farming a weaker player on the team it's game over because even the best players on your team can't survive the artifacts the other team are using.  Toning down items would surely improve enjoyment of this game, including toning down AI ganking usefullness.  The team that was winning would still actually have to fight to win rather than just stomping a few bugs under their feet (Poor QoT  ).

+24 Karma | 8 Replies
November 2, 2009 1:59:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The AI will be made artificially stronger (+50% hp/mana... which is a lot. I mean, let's say your good UB teammate has a crash at level 10. They probably chose good items and such... add on 50% extra HP and the HP flag and the AI could be walking around with 10k hp. That's quite a behemoth, even if it's a stupid one), as well as give smaller rewards than other players (half the reward).

So... farming the AI takes longer, happens at a much larger risk (you'd pretty much have to go back to the crystal) and has a diminishing value to it. Will it happen? Of course. Will it still lose games? You bet.

But, it'll make things better because, if nothing else, the AI will drop from 6 deaths in a match to 4 and only provide the monetary equivalent of 2 deaths. Not completely game breaking (the gold it gives, at least). It will still be stupid, and won't protect your portals and stuff. But... unless they actually invest a decent chunk o f money into the AI, this is best, simplest and most cost-effective way to do it.

November 2, 2009 2:17:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

4) Items are too powerful

I have to agree with this, especially when talking about hp items. This has been talked about a lot in the forums. I hope they will fix/balance the items. There are countless builds that will emerge if items were properly balanced.

November 2, 2009 2:27:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's quite demotivating to check out the demigodthegame.com and glance at the "Recent Community Posts" table, and all you see is doomsday topics. Kinda gives off a bad vibe. Spoiled community and failed game.

I don't play Demigod anymore because I agree with all those posts, but I shut the hell up because I know it's not helping, and it only serve to scare more people away from the game. I rather have new players being curious about the game; maybe some of 'em will like it and ignore the flaws, and I rather see them find out by themselves than to have them scared away by all those shitty posts. New players equal more founds for GPG that can be used to actually improve those things you guys wine about.

I'm just so sick of all those threads. We get it. We don't need each and every Demigod player to share their sad story.
Go apply for a QA position at GPG if you want to help...

Edit: post not directly aimed at OP, but the community in general.

November 2, 2009 2:44:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I understand your objections obbeskrutt but I think it's not fair for this thread.  I am giving my feedback based on my own experience of the game, if people did not give constructive negative feedback then the developers don't have balanced feedback from their paying customers which is a bad thing for them.

November 6, 2009 9:51:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think these posts are actually needed if change is going to happen.  To be honest, Demigod is an amazing game, one of the best I have played in awhile, just delivered poorly with poor programming and a long long list of other bugs that kill it.  If they could fix these bugs, some of them very simple, and then once all the bugs are fixed, release their 2 new demigods and say like 4-6 new maps, add some team support, auto balance feature, etc... this game would be amazing.

November 6, 2009 8:57:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The AI will be made artificially stronger (+50% hp/mana... which is a lot. I mean, let's say your good UB teammate has a crash at level 10. They probably chose good items and such... add on 50% extra HP and the HP flag and the AI could be walking around with 10k hp. That's quite a behemoth, even if it's a stupid one), as well as give smaller rewards than other players (half the reward).

this is a simple solution to the issue (an easy way out). What i think we all want is an "intelligent" AI.

one that roughly kowns when to retreat if being ganged by multiple enemies.
Not stand around randomly - theres always stuff to do in this game.
respond to pings - i think this mightve been addressed but ive tried doing this and the AI never came.

November 6, 2009 10:24:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

*wonders if we can mod AI when 1.2 goes live*

November 7, 2009 6:39:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The only item that is too strong was the HoL. There are no over-powered items (well you could argue about locks and sigils) that weren't intended to be, like artifacts. They're supposed to be OP so that games actually end. If you have enough money for artifcacts, then the game is already over.

The real problem is that 75% of items are complete garbage.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000422   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.