The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The Demon Assassin’s Skill Tree & Review

By on October 29, 2009 8:12:20 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

We’re not trying to torture anyone with these sneak peeks. 

For the past couple of weeks we’ve been playing with new builds of Demigod sent over from developer Gas Powered Games.

Now, since I work at Stardock, the publisher, I’m biased. I make no bones about it. But as the designer and one of the developers of Galactic Civilizations and the forthcoming Elemental, I do have some perspective on the work GPG is doing with these demigods.

As someone who is biased a bit towards quantity over quality, I have been somewhat skeptical about the effort involved in making these demigods. If I were the designer of Demigod, the players would simply create their demigods from scratch at the start of the game rather than “pick” one.  That said, seeing GPG’s work has given me a real appreciation of the craftsmanship at Gas Powered Games.

The Demon Assassin will be an exciting addition. He plays very differently than any other demigod I’ve played and yet he also feels natural to the game play. He’s incredibly powerful but also very fragile.

I normally play as either Oak or Lord Erebus. In either case, I don’t tend to die often because I quickly amass a lot of HP.  The Demon Assassin, by contrast, is (obviously) not a general which means no monks to start out with and he has much lower armor and HP than most of the demigods.

On the other hand, he’s lethal.  By the second level, a fully mana’d DA can inflict 650HP of damage.

Here are the powers that I think people will find exciting:

1. Warp Strike.  You target at enemy and he will warp in and do 250 damage (it’s expensive at 500 mana so early on it’s not something that will happen much).  The range isn’t huge but it’s enough to make him a real force early on if you’re running away.
  2. Spine Attack. Yes, he also has a ranged weapon. A rather nasty one. It’s short-range but it’s range nevertheless. For 550 mana you can do 400 damage. First level.
  3. Elusiveness. This is a passive ability but holy cow, it’s so cool. It’s a dodge ability.
  4. Demon Speed. Another passive ability but simply put, you can make him go faster and faster.  By default, he’s actually pretty slow.
  5. Precision. This is a critical hit passive ability that you can crank up during the course of the game.
  6. Warp area. This is his area effect. It doesn’t show up until level 5 but it lets him do damage to nearby units for 250 damage each (eventually at level 10 he can do 500 damage to all nearby units). 
  7. He also has a shadow ability. This is the one that will be controversial and we’ll be discussing with players. He can exchange places with a target demigod.  The range is limited but it’s very powerful. You’ve just capped that portal flag, you’re running away. You’re going to make it.  No. No you’re not. You’re going to die. Because the demon assassin has just exchanged places with you and now you’re back at that portal and he’s out in front of you.

He is incredibly dangerous – in the right hands. He’s also a massive feeder in the wrong hands.  At level 4, with HP giving armor and such, I had 2275HP.  With Erebus or Oak I’d be at over 4000 at that point. 

What? Give him Blood of the Fallen? No problem? Except he’s fairly slow at the start.  He is almost begging for Swift Ankle Bracelet.

Here’s a video of his skills.

Locked Post 85 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 31, 2009 7:04:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd like them to be legit as well man but this is GPG we're talking about.  They don't exactly have a everything should be useful and nothing overpowered or we'll change it right away philosophy on balance if you hadn't noticed...

Best case scenario, these two new demigods are semi-competitive and have a couple viable builds each.  As long as they aren't game breakingly overpowered I'll be quite happy with their addition to the game.

October 31, 2009 7:46:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Thundercles,
I'd like them to be legit as well man but this is GPG we're talking about.  They don't exactly have a everything should be useful and nothing overpowered or we'll change it right away philosophy on balance if you hadn't noticed...

Best case scenario, these two new demigods are semi-competitive and have a couple viable builds each.  As long as they aren't game breakingly overpowered I'll be quite happy with their addition to the game.

The do have a history of introducing overpowered units into a game resauting in the other sides having a difficult time competing and then nurfing them into uselessness. Only to do it again wihout a nurf (then being unable to support the game) killing off ranked gameplay.

So introducing something that could be good with a few number changes but is currently underpowerd is probably a better start.

Edit: the top paragraph is somewhat of an overstatement.

October 31, 2009 9:22:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Heh...  Well now Nzac, sounds like you may be old enough to remember the Maverick from Total Annihilation.

October 31, 2009 11:47:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Thundercles,
Heh...  Well now Nzac, sounds like you may be old enough to remember the Maverick from Total Annihilation.

That was cavedog not gpg i was refering to supreme commander FA (i grew up on aoe no TA unfortunately).

Though if has happened before, i guess CT may have relised the error in his ways/ballancing methords.

November 1, 2009 3:24:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Did you mean the Mongoose and the Aeon Mercy?

November 1, 2009 4:01:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting _Golgoth_,
Did you mean the Mongoose and the Aeon Mercy?

Yeah, just saying this could be a better approch (with buffing an underpowered demigod to make it good) than realeasing something overpowered only to have to nurf it into uselessness.

November 9, 2009 3:55:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I read through most of this thread but didn't see this idea.  I was reading another post and it made me think about the shadow ability.  I just thought of the Oak/DA combo... oak shields DA, he shadows rook out of his tower farm and boom... dead rook and shield saves the DA from the towers. 

For balancing, I would propose that the shadow ability purges all effects on the DA (yes you could use this to your advantage to remove DoTs or tracker), but on the whole I think it would force you to think twice about the ability and stop you from buffing the crap out of yourself to basically remove all the potential drawbacks on this ability. 

Otherwise I can see using a Health stacking, using a sigil and then shadow... or the shield/shadow combo described above and then the only drawback becomes mana use.  I know that oak could still shiled after the shadow... but maybe you could even do a 'imune to effects for 1.5 seconds after shadow' type thing... basically shadow is a game changer for sure... and right now there doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent to using it...

Thoughts?

Cheers,

ThanatosESC.

November 16, 2009 12:34:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Could we make it so you can swap location with allies too? I can see that being infinantly useful.

November 17, 2009 10:00:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This guy would easily be my new favorite Demigod off the bat, nicely done, and i reallly look forward to these new Demis, but, when can we expect them?

November 24, 2009 7:52:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

By the way, this new demigod's style look likes Edgar on the 4th season of the serie Heroes

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000094   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.