The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

What is the best RPG.....?

By on October 27, 2009 6:38:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What is the best RPG of all time you have ever played? That includes MMORPG, Action RPG, pure RPG.... etc.

PC games of course.

For me it is "The Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion".

+160 Karma | 108 Replies
October 27, 2009 6:43:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Guild wars

October 27, 2009 6:43:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

KOTOR

October 27, 2009 6:45:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wizardry 8 or final fantasy 7 or chrono trigger... damn i cannot decide, there are some more options, gothic 1 or 2....

edit: oh indeed kotor 1 is also a top one, but not the best.

to call oblivion as one of the best rpgs is a fist in the butt of rpg genre! schame on you morpheas. even the prequell was far better than oblivion, morrowind

October 27, 2009 6:49:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,
KOTOR
That would be my second but im in love with Guild Wars just so much fun

October 27, 2009 8:54:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CelMare,
Wizardry 8 or final fantasy 7 or chrono trigger... damn i cannot decide, there are some more options, gothic 1 or 2....

edit: oh indeed kotor 1 is also a top one, but not the best.

to call oblivion as one of the best rpgs is a fist in the butt of rpg genre! schame on you morpheas. even the prequell was far better than oblivion, morrowind

LOL! yeah people have said this to me before. But i assure you i have played almost every RPG there is he he.

I dont know i am wierd. I LOVE Oblivion! my second choice would be Final Fantasy 8.

Btw you listed 6 games CelMare. ha ha jk

October 27, 2009 9:05:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oblivion would be in my top 5...Morrowind used to be my n1 when its graphics were so much better than they seem now but its still a top 10 anyway, I'll add Star Ocean 4 The last hope as my #3 it was well worth the time.

October 27, 2009 9:28:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I LOVE Oblivion!

October 27, 2009 9:37:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Polynomial,
KOTOR

Agreed! It would be Kotor 2 as well if they actually finished the game. At least they did an awesome job with the equiptment system.

Other than that, Chrono Trigger and Mass Effect (it's considered an RPG right?) are at the top of my list.

October 27, 2009 9:44:55 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

People hated Oblivion because it did not offered as big a world as morrowind, and there are less quests.  But with Oblivion, the game offers more in depth and more meaningful quests.  Also, many whined about the AI and the enemy scaling system.  The truth of the matter is that Bethesda had to toned down the AI because it was becomeing way too smart in the sense that they were afraid that if they did not toned it down, people will find the game too difficult to finish or play for that matter.  Also, the enemey scalign according to player level have to do with players a constant challenge in terms of combat and makes people think how they should manage their leveling. 

October 27, 2009 10:14:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Final Fantasy 7 topped it for me (Yes, I played it on the PC when it came out)

October 27, 2009 10:24:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Final Fantasy 7 and KOTOR 1 are both on my top10 list!

October 27, 2009 10:24:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Other than that, Chrono Trigger and Mass Effect (it's considered an RPG right?) are at the top of my list.

yes it is considered an RPG

October 27, 2009 10:37:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

People hated Oblivion because it did not offered as big a world as morrowind, and there are less quests. But with Oblivion, the game offers more in depth and more meaningful quests. Also, many whined about the AI and the enemy scaling system. The truth of the matter is that Bethesda had to toned down the AI because it was becomeing way too smart in the sense that they were afraid that if they did not toned it down, people will find the game too difficult to finish or play for that matter. Also, the enemey scalign according to player level have to do with players a constant challenge in terms of combat and makes people think how they should manage their leveling.

I wasn't really into RPG's when Morrowind came out so I never managed to seriously play it. So I don't compare the 2

October 27, 2009 11:02:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Deus Ex.

October 27, 2009 11:12:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting jongalt26,
Deus Ex.

Hmm.... i have never played Deus Ex but i always thought people hated it.

i guess i am totally wrong....

October 27, 2009 11:48:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting morpheas768,

Quoting jongalt26,
reply 14
Deus Ex.

Hmm.... i have never played Deus Ex but i always thought people hated it.

i guess i am totally wrong....

people hated Deus Ex 2 (and with good reason)

Deus Ex AWESOME!

October 28, 2009 12:18:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No, Deus Ex was a superb game.  Deus Ex 2: Invisible War was a not so great game.
I believe there are a couple of updated versions being made of the first one.  That will be very nice.  I tried to get the original going but I was having some game-killing opengl issues...

As far as my favorite RPG - Tales of the Unknown Volume I: The Bards Tale.
I have to judge based not on graphics or effects..  not even solely based on story..  but on how it felt to play the game.
This was the first serious game I ever tackled.  I got the disks for it from a friend of mine for the C64 - no manual or even spellbook.  Somehow I got ahold of a copy of the spells by typing them all out and printing them on my Okidata 10(?) printer.  (Every time you wanted to cast a spell you needed to enter the 4 character code for it - sort of a copy protection I suppose)

I sat down with a pad of graph paper and mapped out every square of that game.  Skara Brae, all the dungeons..  There was just such a feeling of accomplishment when I finally beat it.  Some serious nostalgia points bump this one up but in many ways a great game should be able to invoke such emotion years later.

Might and Magic II is a close second.  I would get together with a friend of mine and play this one together on his Apple IIe.  Another classic RPG that just got it right. I think this one even had a map feature...  or at least the Eagle Eye spell..

I was always a little jealous of another friend who had a Macintosh and a copy of Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord.  More basic, basic graphics but it was all about building up your party and figuring out all of the little puzzles.  Plus the items - I still remember him wielding the Epee' of Dismay

Other RPG's around that time were fun - Mars Saga, The Magic Candle, Ultima IV (first one I got my hands on), Bards Tale 2: The Destiny Knight, Wasteland...

Then technology bumped us up to such gems as the gold box Pools of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, etc...  very, very fun games at the time.  The first two are probably among my favorite D&D titles - along with Eye of the Beholder   I remember later when my girlfriend signed up for AOL and I jumped into Neverwinter Nights for the first time.  Gold Box alive on the net.  Too bad I couldn't afford to play

Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss was another superb game.  I can still remember finally reaching the demon and his pool of lava only to discover that I had missed one of the seven(?) artifacts I needed to finish the game...   not sure that I ever did find that one but very fond memories.

TES:Arena - Revolutionary.   I had a blast playing this during the sporadic times that I could.  I was at school at the time and had no computer of my own..  was also relatively busy blowing large, large amounts of time at the various computer labs on campus playing MUD's - Infinity to start with, then Genocide, BatMud, Battletech - and finally (and most fondly) Highlands III.

Other titles I'll mention that deserve a lot of praise are Baldur's Gate, Morrowind, Oblivion, Wizardry 8, FFVII, KOTOR, Fallout 1/2/3, Unlimited Adventures, Alternate Reality, Shining in the Darkness, Might and Magic V...

(nearly) Finally - two titles that fall into the more recent end of the timeline that I adore - Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights.  I have never played the sequel to either but these two games were very solid.

I have also played EQ and WoW extensively...  very good games in their own right but when I think of what an RPG means to me....  they just don't make it.

Apologies for the wall of text involving much more information that the OP requested. 
I just like brief trips through fond memories at times...

In short: Tales of the Unknown Volume I: The Bards Tale

October 28, 2009 1:02:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Apologies for the wall of text involving much more information that the OP requested.
I just like brief trips through fond memories at times...

Absolutely no problem at all. very nice post!

Neverwinter Nights is definitely my first love! I think i would put it #3. Neverwinter Nights 2 is also really great but..... i dont know why but i prefer the 1st.

some games you listed i dont know them but some of them are really great!

But praise to Baldurs Gate and The Bards Tale!

October 28, 2009 1:15:40 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

NetHack, you kids, the granddaddy of them all. How many of these new-fangled "RPGs" of yours allow you to wield a monster's corpse as a weapon? how many of them offer completely randomized dungeons where entire levels may be bypassed simply by pointing a wand at the floor and zapping it? how many allow you to equip a lance, mount a warhorse and *joust* at demons? thought so.

Go try it and you'll see what a *real* RPG is like. Though you may need a prettied-up, more modern interface (if in doubt get the eye-win32 version, the rest are only for the corageous and the UNIX geeks), instead of learning to fear the uppercase D as real men do. Now go, play it, and get off my lawn.

Though I must note Guild Wars is also quite good... the story is cliched as hell, but it's gorgeous, the music is beautiful, the leveling system is one that, while it makes little sense within the canon of the story, encourages crazy experimentation rather than punish it, and the combat system is fun as hell which is of prime importance by the 100th hour into it.

October 28, 2009 1:23:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OK DraekAlmasy but you can be nicer about it please.

I am asking what is everyone's favorite RPG In Their Opinion.

Thank you for your post.

October 28, 2009 1:48:46 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Playing Dragon Age back in the day, it was probably my favourite.

October 28, 2009 2:18:19 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

i remember spending too much time with Diablo before.

October 28, 2009 2:23:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, hands down. While it's prequel, Morrowind, was an undeniable classic, Oblivion improved upon it in the key areas to make it a generally better game for me - it also made a few mistakes, namely with the auto-matic leveling of your enemies, although it didn't really matter much anyway and at least kept things from becoming one-hit kills unlike Morrowind.

Second best ever: Vampire: The Masqurade Bloodlines after the fan patches.

October 28, 2009 2:32:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@DraekAlmasy

sry, but nethack is even worse than oblivion as rpg. it is one of the oldest but one of the worst examples of rpg genre. it is fun to play, but a BAD example of rpg.

mass-effect is no rpg. it is a shooter with rpg elements like deus ex is. although i am scared to call this two games within the same sentence as it is herertic. mass-effect is it not worth to be written in the same line with deus ex.

@lias001 totally wrong. people "hated" oblivion because it has LESS indepth, LESS interesting quests. it is boring compaired to morrowind. and it is redicules compaired to real rpgs. anyway... this is critic regarding rpg properties not regarding its fun factor, as latter depends on your taste.

@Mauxe: indeed... i loved might and magic 3 instead more, exe of the beholder was also great. i add ultima underworld and there are some older GREAT rpgs.

October 28, 2009 2:37:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@lias001 totally wrong. people "hated" oblivion because it has LESS indepth, LESS interesting quests. it is boring compaired to morrowind. and it is redicules compaired to real rpgs. anyway... this is critic regarding rpg properties not regarding its fun factor, as latter depends on your taste.

CelMare lets stay in topic please. This is a thread about everyone's favorite RPG.

Not about critisizing what games you dont like.

Thank you.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.