The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

New Demigods prepare to go out to the public

By on October 17, 2009 1:44:30 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

image The two new Demigods are getting close finally. And we’re very excited to start playing with them.  Since we’re going to want to do some “play testing” to nail down the balance before they end up being foisted out on everyone, we’ll be releasing an update to Demigod in the next couple of weeks that will allow us to add these new ones to a person’s Demigod account.  They’ll be able to play it online in regular games with others and we’ll see how they work out.  As we nail down balance and such we’ll expand out access to it until everyone who has Demigod can access it.

Locked Post 163 Replies +4
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 18, 2009 6:01:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And for a comparison, this is how HoN does their heroes as explained by Maliken:

Let me point out work flow a bit here. Our Art Director, Jesse, could pop in here and clean up my post but it goes something like this:

Concept & Drawing: You must not only take the time to come up with a piece of concept art, you must concept out what the actual hero is and what their angle will be. Then you have to come up with a good drawing. 2-4 days depending how the complexity of the hero and how many iterations it takes to make something good.

Modelling: This is pretty straight forward. 2 days

Textures: Again, pretty straight forward but remember there are more than just color maps. 2-3 days

Rigging: Getting the unit ready for animation, both a quick rick and a final rig. 2 days

Animations: The rigging is done sans textures and quick rig goes quickly. Then animators are given the quick rig to begin animation work.
Animations are complex and go through the most iterations and unfortunately are the longest portion of the process. 4-8 days depending on the complexity and amount of iterations

Entity Work: Technical part where all the files, skills, etc... are set up for the hero. Also includes tooltips and some other tedious stuff. 3-4 days

Visual Effects: This is the wild card. Effects bring the character together. A simple hero goes quickly. However, a hero like Magmus for example, where you have to work with something new, being the concept of lava, can take a lot of R&D. Also, you MUST wait for visual effects before sound can even be touched. 2-6 days

Sound Effects: Once the visual efx are done, sound efx can begin work. They go pretty quickly. 2-3 days

Voice Work: Due to the nature of studio time etc... this process takes at least a week but you can bunch a lot of heroes together. This also does not just happen at the drop of a hat (thusly notice we have a lot of heroes in the game with no voices). We have to interview and find talent and then work the script and do a few iterations. No time table.

While some of this stuff can be happening simoltaneously it requires anywhere for 9-18 days get a hero in the game. This also does not include ANY balance testing.

I hope this makes you understand things a bit better
yes i did...

And I don't know what the guy who said 4-5 heroes earlier was thinking.. since Demigod's release HoN has added 17-18 heroes. It usually goes 3-4 per month.

October 18, 2009 6:21:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting HoodedxREAPERx,

Quoting eternalspirit23, reply 16I've been sitting back just watching the forum over the months and I feel it's time to start posting a bit. Really looking forward to using the new demigods, keep up the great work!

My thoughts exactly (when it comes to the whole "watching" bit and how they should keep up the good work). Also, I can't wait to use the Demon Assassin. It gets a tad bit boring using UB most of the time and playing with TB once in a while.

I am also in that case, i have been playing demigod since the start of the beta, but i have stopped one month or 2 after the release, waiting for the 2 new demigods, some features like replay and one or 2 imbalanced thing being solved, seems like it is time to come back!

I hope there are still newbs/average players.

And please, can someone Frogban Neoauld? We just don't need him.

October 18, 2009 6:41:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice that it is getting somewhere! I'm always up for testing!

No chance of a picture of Occulus?

October 18, 2009 7:50:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sigrada,
HoN..... blah blah blah
I don't want 300 lame heroes to learn and play. I would prefer 10 well thought out, good looking and well balanced ones to be honest. I don't even want to hear about hearoes of newerth. I don't know why I even replied to a post about HoN. Nevermind.

Good news about the 2 new DG. Shame it's not likely they will help me win games lol.

October 18, 2009 8:24:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Demigod is shite - I've abandoned this game for LoL / HoN. Good riddance. Please give me back my money Stardock! You made me wait too long for new content and now your refund policy doesn't allow me to get my money back. GARBAGE.

October 18, 2009 8:36:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hm, I never got the 5 additional keys that were promised in the initial email.

October 18, 2009 8:47:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Leon108,
Another volunteer with "Ready to Play" account is right here!

Same ^

anyways,   4 THE NEW DEMIS.

And yeah, wipuliwos stats are pretty suspicious, but he/she could be just really really lucky & good.

(maybe)

October 18, 2009 8:58:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting borichka,
Demigod is shite - I've abandoned this game for LoL / HoN. Good riddance. Please give me back my money Stardock! You made me wait too long for new content and now your refund policy doesn't allow me to get my money back. GARBAGE.

wow u know what, iv downloaded LoL and played it now....alll i can say is how fucking frustrating it is. first 80% of the characters are the same just different skills and stuff and the other 20% well over powerd one way or another...the joker? u gotta be kidding me...look in  every game and the teams are stacked up to high heaven and good ness gracious me i thought i did some stacking back in the early days of Demi, well i can honestly say i got nothing on the LoL community... the game is so bland and repetitive and if u want to win u gotta go certain legends...

enough of this lets move on this is a demigod forum not a League of loosers forum. (im still waiting on a beta key for HoN so i can prove that this is crapplinskie. (maybe its not, have to wait and see at 200 000 fans.)

Quoting Spooky__,
Hm, I never got the 5 additional keys that were promised in the initial email.

I DID!!!! giggity i think star dock need to send these out because they need to expand the commmunity beyond demigod to get this up and running, or i am wrong?

October 18, 2009 9:36:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

so I was the first one to volunteer and have ready to play

October 18, 2009 9:51:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sigrada,
And for a comparison, this is how HoN does their heroes as explained by Maliken:

Let me point out work flow a bit here. Our Art Director, Jesse, could pop in here and clean up my post but it goes something like this:

Concept & Drawing: You must not only take the time to come up with a piece of concept art, you must concept out what the actual hero is and what their angle will be. Then you have to come up with a good drawing. 2-4 days depending how the complexity of the hero and how many iterations it takes to make something good.

Modelling: This is pretty straight forward. 2 days

Textures: Again, pretty straight forward but remember there are more than just color maps. 2-3 days

Rigging: Getting the unit ready for animation, both a quick rick and a final rig. 2 days

Animations: The rigging is done sans textures and quick rig goes quickly. Then animators are given the quick rig to begin animation work.
Animations are complex and go through the most iterations and unfortunately are the longest portion of the process. 4-8 days depending on the complexity and amount of iterations

Entity Work: Technical part where all the files, skills, etc... are set up for the hero. Also includes tooltips and some other tedious stuff. 3-4 days

Visual Effects: This is the wild card. Effects bring the character together. A simple hero goes quickly. However, a hero like Magmus for example, where you have to work with something new, being the concept of lava, can take a lot of R&D. Also, you MUST wait for visual effects before sound can even be touched. 2-6 days

Sound Effects: Once the visual efx are done, sound efx can begin work. They go pretty quickly. 2-3 days

Voice Work: Due to the nature of studio time etc... this process takes at least a week but you can bunch a lot of heroes together. This also does not just happen at the drop of a hat (thusly notice we have a lot of heroes in the game with no voices). We have to interview and find talent and then work the script and do a few iterations. No time table.

While some of this stuff can be happening simoltaneously it requires anywhere for 9-18 days get a hero in the game. This also does not include ANY balance testing.

I hope this makes you understand things a bit better
yes i did...
And I don't know what the guy who said 4-5 heroes earlier was thinking.. since Demigod's release HoN has added 17-18 heroes. It usually goes 3-4 per month.

very intresting post !

of course Demigods are more difficult to build than HON's heroes !

but if they need only 9-18 days to get a hero in the game, i cant understand why GPG needs half a year !!!!! -> thats a shame !!! 2 months would be acceptable for me !

is Sorian the only one working on them ?? in his lunch break ??

October 18, 2009 10:30:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i can haz new demigods

October 18, 2009 10:54:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Lavosking,
i can haz new demigods

ahh the 13 year old in all of us is comming out first discoverings the interwebz.. lulz  

October 18, 2009 11:27:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And you arent in any position to say whos welcome,

But I am.  Go away and get a life.

October 18, 2009 12:25:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

hows it go, BOOYAO!

October 18, 2009 1:47:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

i the frog ban hammer

October 18, 2009 1:49:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

KABOOM!

October 18, 2009 2:19:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DemiCom,

but if they need only 9-18 days to get a hero in the game, i cant understand why GPG needs half a year !!!!! -> thats a shame !!! 2 months would be acceptable for me !

I started there Aug 31st, so is has been a month and a half.

October 18, 2009 2:34:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting -Sorian-,

Quoting DemiCom, reply 60

ok

can u tell us how many GPG guys are involved in making new DGs ? and how far advanced was their development process when you started there ?

October 18, 2009 3:39:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm as giddy as a goose! I want to try stacking a team with the Demon Assassin and see how that goes. We should have a Demon Assassin vs. Oculus match for fun.

October 18, 2009 4:20:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DemiCom,

Quoting -Sorian-, reply 67
Quoting DemiCom, reply 60

ok

can u tell us how many GPG guys are involved in making new DGs ? and how far advanced was their development process when you started there ?

The number of people working on the new Demigods change as needs dictate. Not sure how many were on the project during its peak.

When I got there the new Demigods existed as concepts. Their abilities, achievements, and looks were all determined. I think work had already started on the models and animations, but they were not done yet.

Check my blog if you want an idea of the work invloved.

Birth of a Demigod

Part 1: http://soriandev.blogspot.com/2009/10/birth-of-demigod-part-1.html

Part 2: http://soriandev.blogspot.com/2009/10/birth-of-demigod-part-2.html

Part 3: Coming soon

October 18, 2009 4:23:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

take off the should pads, it looks way too similar to erebus on my account...let's make things as unique as possible. WOWIII and IV had those nexus games and stuff similar to that with a whole bunch of unique heros, I am more then confident that we can do better. Please don't let this gmae go....

October 18, 2009 5:09:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Frogboy, you just made my day!

October 18, 2009 5:35:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Looks like I might have found a replacement for UB.

October 18, 2009 5:54:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting -Sorian-,

Check my blog if you want an idea of the work invloved.

Birth of a Demigod

Part 1: http://soriandev.blogspot.com/2009/10/birth-of-demigod-part-1.html

Part 2: http://soriandev.blogspot.com/2009/10/birth-of-demigod-part-2.html

Part 3: Coming soon

if you were paying attention demicom instead of just coming in one topic...you would of discoverd this info... @.@ it made me understand alot.

October 18, 2009 5:56:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting VitaNova,
take off the should pads, it looks way too similar to erebus on my account...let's make things as unique as possible. WOWIII and IV had those nexus games and stuff similar to that with a whole bunch of unique heros, I am more then confident that we can do better. Please don't let this gmae go....

in my opinion they look very diff...ereb has very buff shoulders this assassin looks purrrrrfect  , hes a assassin nice and sleek look at erebus hes thin yes, but hes also very buff omn the armor side of things.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000579   Page Render Time: