The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Speed Rook, is it possible?

Can it be done?

By on October 7, 2009 10:44:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have been messing with a speed rook build and I either have great success (9-2) or I epically fail (0-7).

The idea is to be able to slam people without boulder because you can run guess where there going to walk and slam them. Than chase with tower upgrades and slapping for the kill, than GTFO because your probably almost dead.

The highest I have seen my movement speed is 10.3 with journeymans base is about 6.8 when you have boots + anklet, wand brings it up to 7-whatever.

Here is the B.O.:

• 1-Towers 1
  • 2-Archer Tower
  • 3-Slam 1
  • 4-Slam 2
  • 5-Tower of Light (shoulder)
  • 6-Boulder 1
  • 7-Slam 3
  • 8-Trebuchet
  • 9-Save
  • 10-Slam 4, Boulder 2
  • 11- God strength 1
  • 12- God strength 2
  • 13- Save
  • 14- Save
  • 15- Dizzying Force, Poison Arrows, God Strength 3
  • 16-20- Stats

Items go something like this:

• Banded + Skaled
  • Boots of Speed
  • Unbreakables
  • either sell skaled for vlemish but if you have the money just buy it
  • Nimoth Chest Plate (interchangeable with wand)
  • Wand of Speed (interchangeable with wand)
  • Journeymans for Banded

So basically your playing with an HP deprived rook, and stack speed instead.

I have attached a replay vs. some very respectable opponents (Orcun_BL and shinobinomono) to give you an idea of how its played at a high level:

http://www.gamereplays.org/demigod/replays.php?game=51&tab=upcoming&show=details&id=97771

+28 Karma | 38 Replies
October 8, 2009 1:45:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Another game where I went speed rook, this one faired a little better than the first.

This game is also just plain entertaining!

http://www.gamereplays.org/demigod/replays.php?game=51&tab=upcoming&show=details&id=97780

October 8, 2009 3:41:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You don't have the survivability because you've got swift anklet and boots taking up an (early) item slot.  You still aren't fast enough to outrun anyone else - Ere, Sedna, UB all are faster then you as long as they also get boots of speed, and oak with his surge and penitence is too.  So now you have crap survivability, average speed, and no towers.  I'm not sure where the advantage is.

October 8, 2009 4:24:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

From my experience, during pro matches or high level matches, stacking HP is always better than stacking speed. Early game, you will stay longer on lane, keeping flag and farming same or more. Late game you'll be more efficient to chase or flee; but you will be inferior in every confrontation (except if opponent is hurted or 2v1).

With players of exactly same levels and skills, HP will always beat speed imo. But I'm sure it can be viable (and very enjoyable) in matches more "easy". That can explain:

I either have great success (9-2) or I epically fail (0-7).

The same way, you can perform very well with Reg or TB in most matches. But they'll be a handicap as soon as it's a pro match and there are 3 strong DG in front of you (Ere, Oak, UB for ex?)

Maybe the Reg in that match was a handicap for Orcun's team? (I am not saying eXborderline is not good, I just say Reg is weak in pro match...)

October 8, 2009 12:43:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I was more looking for ideas on how to make this more viable than "its not really a good idea". If you haven't watched the replays please give them a shot. I am starting to think Speed rook is a bit better in 4v4 or greater games. The 4v4 on Zik kind of helped prove this observation.

Thanks for the replys! keep them coming!

I really want to find away to make this a viable build even if I can only play it in a the rare 4v4 or 5v5

October 8, 2009 2:54:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So, you want to try and make it work, but keep the 'speed' motif?  I mean, I think your skill lineup is fine (Though I'd personally twiddle level 5 and 6). The hard part is basically gimping yourself by getting speed boosting items...and still ending up slower than most other players.

But if you want speed... I'd suggest not getting the boots as your first speed item, and instead getting the Wand. It's more speed, by a long ways.

Secondly, speed can either be construed as how fast you walk.. or how fast you get to a destination.  Maybe the Amulet of Teleportation would fit this better?  If you use it well, I think it could help considerably more, especially since the Rook Roll is such a good ganking tool, and always being ready to gank is nice.

October 8, 2009 5:04:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ill have to try out wand first! not a bad idea.

October 9, 2009 3:18:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Though I'd personally twiddle level 5 and 6

Before, I was thinking that if I don't have a helmet yet, I shouldn't always take Boulder Roll level 5. Yeah, sometimes, it'll be totally unused until a helmet, sometimes, you won't have mana for it at this level. But if you really need it one moment, and you could have afford it (mana speaking) but you just can't because you took anything else level 5, that's really horrible.

I always take Boulder Roll at level 5.

October 9, 2009 1:49:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DeathWeaVer666,

Though I'd personally twiddle level 5 and 6

Before, I was thinking that if I don't have a helmet yet, I shouldn't always take Boulder Roll level 5. Yeah, sometimes, it'll be totally unused until a helmet, sometimes, you won't have mana for it at this level. But if you really need it one moment, and you could have afford it (mana speaking) but you just can't because you took anything else level 5, that's really horrible.

I always take Boulder Roll at level 5.

Ill try that out as well.

October 9, 2009 2:01:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Actually, I'd suggest getting Boulder Roll and the tower of light at level 5, and then slam 2 at level 6.  Level 2 slam at level 4 isn't very useful.  When I play a tower rook I save at 3, get Tower2 at 4, then Boulder and tower of light at 5.

October 10, 2009 7:07:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I wouldn't give up on the build, but I don't think it'll ever be really good when you're taking Swift Anklet as your favor item.

Would you consider switching to Staff of Renewal?  I know it might seem like it would be less of a Speed Rook build, but I think you need to settle for a Relatively Quick Rook build. 

When it comes to chasing and kiting which seems to be what you're going for with this thing, i think the 20% cooldown bonus will be better than the 15% movement most of the time with the extra boulder rolls and slams to keep the enemy off your ass or get him running earlier.

And, it wouldn't totally ruin the spirit of your build, since you'd be using the Wand Of Speed 20% more often.

Sorry to say, it seems like the one dude was right when he pointed out that you're never going to affordably outpace the other demis by multiplying the lowest base movement speed in the game by a percentage.

October 10, 2009 7:11:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

only good at when you mastered hammer slam and boulder roll, but at beginning, even if you got a high speed, rook's auto attack sucks

October 10, 2009 7:56:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting TB_MasteR,
rook's auto attack sucks
This my friends....deserves an LOL.

October 10, 2009 10:39:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok speed rooks are Lawl. So many ways to roflcopter him. Oak eats him. Erubus "bites his eyes out". And a rook with slow mines rofl pwns you. If your worried about ganks hit up favor item "Teleportation amulet".

October 10, 2009 10:48:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Xenogenic,
rook with slow mines rofl pwns you.
Rook haz minezors? wherez.

October 11, 2009 2:45:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just a thought but perhaps stacking evade items instead of speed?  No I don't think it's a good idea but I feel the same about speed rook lol.  

October 11, 2009 11:25:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Thundercles,
I wouldn't give up on the build, but I don't think it'll ever be really good when you're taking Swift Anklet as your favor item.

Would you consider switching to Staff of Renewal?  I know it might seem like it would be less of a Speed Rook build, but I think you need to settle for a Relatively Quick Rook build. 

When it comes to chasing and kiting which seems to be what you're going for with this thing, i think the 20% cooldown bonus will be better than the 15% movement most of the time with the extra boulder rolls and slams to keep the enemy off your ass or get him running earlier.

And, it wouldn't totally ruin the spirit of your build, since you'd be using the Wand Of Speed 20% more often.

Sorry to say, it seems like the one dude was right when he pointed out that you're never going to affordably outpace the other demis by multiplying the lowest base movement speed in the game by a percentage.

I might have to try just getting wand early than, and jounreymans as my only other speed item. Might still work to get a few kills on the run. Thanks for all the posts.

October 11, 2009 4:17:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

humm...critical error come anywhere now....i watched the 2nd replay 2 time...and everytime i got critical error around 30:00. When someone is darkness leave. Someone else got this or it just me ?

October 11, 2009 7:44:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Rook needs his base speed to be bumped to 6. It's not hard to outrun him if you want to.

May 4, 2010 7:26:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I always laugh when people only think in one dimensional terms... There are other people on your team.. Speed Rook combined with Ice TB (or Fire) is Lethal. Permafrost WILL slow down any escaping Demigod.

May 4, 2010 8:24:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

slapping for the kill

I loled in my mouth... just a little.

May 4, 2010 9:14:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Necro ftw?

May 4, 2010 9:33:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I necro a bit too

Uberfix changelog:
"

Rook Move Attack Fix by Ptarth

• Rook now attacks while moving correctly

"

With uber fix on board this can be very good build, but if u get uberfix whats the point playing anything else then occulus???

May 4, 2010 9:45:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Rook Move Attack Fix by Ptarth

I was thinking the same thing - the attack move bug certainly hurts speed rook... and necro indeed.  But oh well... slow day in dg land.

May 4, 2010 11:05:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

haha... yeah it was funny Cow and I were actually just talking about trying to make this viable again 2 days ago with Uberfix. Funny how all great players think alike ^^; 

May 5, 2010 10:20:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Cloak of Elfinkind.

Not always gonna happen, but a lot of fun when it does.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001282   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.