The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Overlay Updates

By on September 29, 2009 1:14:50 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

ImpulseOverlayScreenshot

I was so hoping to have this to the public this week but there’s various doublebyte vs. unicode issues that have to be dealt with that is total grunt work but has to be done to make sure this works on all languages.

Anyway, this isn’t a mockup but you can see what we’re going for.  In the lobby you’ll be able to learn a bit more about other players from within the game.

+912 Karma | 69 Replies
September 29, 2009 1:19:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is fantastic.

You win at computers sir.

September 29, 2009 1:28:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oh I wish I could take credit.  This is a combo of the Impulse team, the Elemental team and the WindowBlinds team believe it or not.

I just got stomped by one too many premades so my contribution is being a whiney manchild.

September 29, 2009 1:32:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is great - can't wait to see it live. 

September 29, 2009 1:37:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Awesome, Awesome.....AweSoMe !

Top work guys, looking forward to its release

September 29, 2009 1:48:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

nice

September 29, 2009 2:53:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thats truely awesome work.

Loving the familiraty with other players...

However I have a feeling premades are going to have a VERY hard time getting games going now...

September 29, 2009 3:09:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting B-DalzK,
Thats truely awesome work.

Loving the familiraty with other players...

However I have a feeling premades are going to have a VERY hard time getting games going now...

I've told people that we're a premade. Some stay. The majority don't. Sorry premades, time to rage quit and flame the companies, right?

September 29, 2009 3:13:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Really great update. The premades argument is a difficult one, i'm hardly playing (read never) because my own friends - which you could term premades, are not playing. If they came along and as a result we still couldn't get a game in it's going to make gaming even less likely

September 29, 2009 3:20:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In all seriousness though, Dalzk is probably right. Which is unfortunate because we have no team automatcher yet and Frogboy has said the game was made for premades and it was thought it would be easier to get a premade together but it has not been. I don't know. Sure its nice seeing player information, but this has side effects. Such as forcing premades out of games unless the game is pre arranged or labelled premade.

I don't know. I'm mixed on this one. Pick up group stomping gets old, but not being able to play the game often is meh. Could inadvertantly lower player population because the demographic the game was designed for has to go out of their way to get a single game going.

Ready to Play needs a group matchmaker or something.

September 29, 2009 3:39:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great news.  It was the lack of such lobby information that was driving me away from multiplayer.  I personally think that premades will be fine and will be able to find games--there will just be less noob-stomping.  Anyhow, I have always found it curious that some premades apparently do not want to play against other premades.  Hmmmm....

September 29, 2009 3:42:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting the_hunger,
Great news.  It was the lack of such lobby information that was driving me away from multiplayer.  I personally think that premades will be fine and will be able to find games--there will just be less noob-stomping.  Anyhow, I have always found it curious that some premades apparently do not want to play against other premades.  Hmmmm....

That's a total fabrication. Premades want to play other decent players more than anything.Its just too damn hard getting 2 groups together manually through RL and timezones.

And no, premades will not be fine. I see no evidence that points to premade games not decreasing in amount of games played.

September 29, 2009 3:59:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I hate to agree here (not with Polynomial, but the concept), but I know premades will get fewer games. I and my friends tend to only play premade games, and aren't dishonest about it when people ask. And 90% of the time, people quit. Heck, most of the time, people join a game I host, do a lookup online, and leave (provided I'm teamed up).

And we're not even very good

I'm not against this idea though, it's awesome, just saying, I can see premades having more problems finding games.

RE: the_hunger

I also find a point to agree with you too - I think the reason people dislike premades is because so many are all about the stomping. Maybe this will, in the long run, fix that, and good 'safe' premades will become known, over nastier pug-stomp ones.

September 29, 2009 3:59:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,
That's a total fabrication. Premades want to play other decent players more than anything.Its just too damn hard getting 2 groups together manually through RL and timezones.

And no, premades will not be fine. I see no evidence that points to premade games not decreasing in amount of games played.

Don't assume that you speak for all premades or for everyone who has had experiences with premades.  Also, I guess you didn't read Frogboy's post above.  He pushed for the premade data because of apparent premade abuses and mismatches with newer players. 

And it is too soon for any of us to know what is going to happen since the new stats have not been patched in yet.  So, there is no "evidence" to support your statement about premades faring poorly.

EvilTwinTepe
I think the reason people dislike premades is because so many are all about the stomping. Maybe this will, in the long run, fix that, and good 'safe' premades will become known, over nastier pug-stomp ones.

^A much more thoughtful (and accurate) take on the issue.

September 29, 2009 4:21:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Premades are only an issue because there is no integrated voice chat.

Which should be the next major feature I think, having to type stuff in when you're in the thick of battle is pretty far from pleasant.

September 29, 2009 4:37:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting EvilTwinTepe,
I also find a point to agree with you too - I think the reason people dislike premades is because so many are all about the stomping. Maybe this will, in the long run, fix that, and good 'safe' premades will become known, over nastier pug-stomp ones.

I'm at a complete loss of words here. This makes no sense what so ever. There's good premades, and then bad premades? What?

September 29, 2009 4:52:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DarthKilmor,
Premades are only an issue because there is no integrated voice chat.

Which should be the next major feature I think, having to type stuff in when you're in the thick of battle is pretty far from pleasant.

Myself and a lot more people wouldn't mind going up against premades with integrated voice chat to even the odds.  Even with this update, I'll be a lot more likely to play a premade since I'll be able to see my allies level and know it'll at least be fun losing.

Integrated voice would be great for helping beginners learn the game, but at least with this update we can send them off to a "noob" game.

Anyway, I think this is going to be a great feature, even for you premades. 

Lemme break it down:  Less random players getting ass handed to them by predatory, win % obsessed premades = more people enjoying game = larger number of people playing game = more people getting their own premade teams together = more competition for y'all = awesome!

September 29, 2009 4:53:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There are, without a doubt, premades that exist with the sole interest of crushing people. Mostly pugs.

Then, there are premades who play together just to play together, and are more about 'let's have fun' than 'we must win'. 

That's what I'm referring to. I'm not saying that a premade vs pug is any less unfair because it just wants to have fun, but I think pugs that play against that premade tend to have more fun.

Or, said better, this:

Anyway, I think this is going to be a great feature, even for you premades. 

Lemme break it down:  Less random players getting ass handed to them by predatory, win % obsessed premades = more people enjoying game = larger number of people playing game = more people getting their own premade teams together = more competition for y'all = awesome!

In other words, the predators are making all premades look bad (thus 'bad').

September 29, 2009 5:04:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am not part of any premades (no firends playing ).

Most of my experience with premades has been joining games and seeing 3 people with good Win/Loss records who have played tha last couple of games together. I always back out of those lobbies. The couple of times I did not fo whatever reason, the game was a total stomp loss and not fun.

I suppose if the PUG were all good people, it could be fair, but it is pretty random to get that.

What could be also useful would be a way to show the 'strength' of the 2 teams based on some stats (win/loss or something). That way it would be eaiser to see if the teams were balanced. This would be good for both premade and PUG games. Going a step further, the 'weaker' team could optionally get some handicaps (gold or exp increases maybe) to help compenstate. But balancing and picking the right stats would probably be difficult.

September 29, 2009 5:04:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I play 80% premade games, and my name is already to the point where it's harder for me to get games because people know I'm a competent player who frequently premakes, though I do often play PM v PM or pug against PM.

If the lobby didn't crash 50% of the time after I kicked, I'd be much more willing to kick new players who join (and I do, on request). But, if it takes 5 minutes to get a lobby, and then a new player joins, and then it crashes... :-/

I'm totally okay with balanced, fun games (my record could use some losses xP ) but I still want to get a game together... eventually...

September 29, 2009 5:15:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting abuggeredhedgie,
I'm totally okay with balanced, fun games (my record could use some losses xP ) but I still want to get a game together... eventually...

September 29, 2009 5:24:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Methinks the premade community would be much better off if Frogboy was in a premade and actually got to see the amount of crap we put up with.  I like to get in PUG games when I can and host PUG ONLY matches and I inevitably get some knuckle head that jumps in the game, calls it a premade (even though the title is PUG ONLY) and leaves.  This causes his teammate to leave, thinking he's been tricked by an evil premade.  And we sit there with an empty lobby waiting for the next jerk to wander in and call my PUG only game a premade.  At least the overlay should put an end to that rot, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intent. 

September 29, 2009 5:34:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,
Methinks the premade community would be much better off if Frogboy was in a premade and actually got to see the amount of crap we put up with.  I like to get in PUG games when I can and host PUG ONLY matches and I inevitably get some knuckle head that jumps in the game, calls it a premade (even though the title is PUG ONLY) and leaves.  This causes his teammate to leave, thinking he's been tricked by an evil premade.  And we sit there with an empty lobby waiting for the next jerk to wander in and call my PUG only game a premade.  At least the overlay should put an end to that rot, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intent. 

This is a good point. Playing as a premade isn't all bells and whistles. For a game that Frogboy supposedly said was designed for premades they sure get a lot of hate.

September 29, 2009 5:40:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This private player note feature is so f.ucking good. 

Every game should have this. Really!

September 29, 2009 5:44:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,

Quoting pacov,
reply 21

This is a good point. Playing as a premade isn't all bells and whistles. For a game that Frogboy supposedly said was designed for premades they sure get a lot of hate.
Yes because frogboy has this awesome mind control power and can tell people what to think about premades right?

September 29, 2009 6:07:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes because frogboy has this awesome mind control power and can tell people what to think about premades right?

Shiro - It's a simple point.  Brad indicated that these new features are coming about because "[he] just got stomped by one too many premades so my contribution is being a whiney manchild."  Of course we can extrapolate that his decision is based on community feedback (I'm sure it is).  However, if he was on a premade team, he'd probably see the other side of things as well.  You can disagree with that if you want unless I use my mind control power on you. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.