The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The October Demigod Community Question Thread

By on September 29, 2009 12:14:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why does this thread exist?  Frogboy suggested we create a monthly question post and agreed to write a dev journal answering the questions as well as possible. 

Who is Frogboy?  Frogboy is the user name of Brad Wardell, the CEO of Stardock.  If anyone can get or provide an answer on anything Demigod related, Frogboy is that guy. 

What should you post in this thread?  Specific, constructive questions that haven't already been previously answered. 

I will be making updates to this list as new questions are added.  Even though we will initially have quite a few questions, the goal will be to get the list down to 10-15 questions. 

Here are the new questions:

• Are any of our balancing suggestions used and is there some way when we communicate ideas that we could get some feedback as to whether or not these will be implemented? For instance, here is a topic on changing flag locks to a 2 second lock, 45 seconds duration and a 60 second cool down https://forums.demigodthegame.com/367180/page/2. I believe this only involves a small change to the lua. 
  • Why is experience given in pantheon to players that fight against AI only?  In custom games, people do not receive experience for playing human v ai.  Why is pantheon different?  Is there any chance we could see a change as some people are using this to inflate their ladder ranking?
  • Can we have the GPG/SD view of their ideas regarding the light/dark division and if they see it as hampering matchmaking as discussed here:  https://forums.demigodthegame.com/364707
  • What is your top priority at this current moment?  Clan Support? Modding? New Demigods? New Maps?
  • Does this game have any compression technology used in it? what is it, and can we improve it through modding of some sort?
  • When is the patch with the 2 new demigods being released (ETA)?
  • Are there any current plans/will it be possible to bind mouse 4, 5, 6 etc. buttons to fucntions like all minions, special minions, hero, ping etc?
  • Would it be possible to bind my minions to groups, eg minion summoned by key 5, 6, and my special minions (ghosts, yetis, etc) could be grouped together, whilst my monks would have a seperate key to control, thus making offensive and support, or mele and range micro easier to control.
  • Does GPG consider everything perfectly balanced at this point regarding demigods stats/abilities, etc?  Can we expect to see any balance changes anytime soon?
  • Does GPG have plans to add more skills to each Demigod or to buff skills that have low value?  For example, Regulus's level 15 skill of deadeye is pretty useless in its current form (3% chance to stun enemies for .3 seconds)
  • You've mentioned on several occasions that Demigod wasn't designed to be a hardcore competetive game.  Why was this decision made?  And how have the design ramifactions of this decision made Demigod a better product?
  • Are any balancing changes going to be made with favor items?
  • Are you currently looking at adding voice chat to demigod?  If not, is this something you'd be willing to do?
  • Fire Torchbearer's auto attack doesn't fire on the move.  It has been previously said that a new attack animation would be needed for him to attack while moving.  Is this still the "plan" or has it been dumped?  When would this be put into Demigod?
  • Are you personally, as a player of DG, happy with the current state of Demigod?  What needs changed?
  • Would you start putting some time into playing pantheon games in Demigod so that it might be more clear why many of us are frustrated with the way the system works?
  • What do you think of integrating the community for QA for future patches (just like with the overlays)? Is it conceptually possible?

• Is anything currently in the works for team matches and automatches?

• Can we get any more info regarding what bugs are being fixed or have been fixed for the next release? 

• Why was the decision made to replace the desync popup for an invalid gamestate message that has the game auto-exit.  What is the purpose of the invalid gamestate error?

• A few players can't join the Ready2Play beta anymore, is does not show up in Impulse. Is that intentional?

• If you create a new account but never play online do you still sit there with 1,000 experience?  A problem with the ladder seems to be that theres a vast number of people around the 1000xp mark who are inactive - often with only 1 or 2 games played.  This seems to create a massive rift between people above 1000xp (who seem to be ranked top1000 or so) and people who fall below 1000xp, who are dropped down to rank 35,000 or so.  Is there any chance that inactive accounts, or perhaps people with less than x games played, could be left out of the ranking?  It would make it much easier to tell just how much better/worse someone is than you, rather than having to deal with this 35,000-large blob of dark matter.

• can we expect QoT to be changed at all?

Here are the unanswered questions from last time around.   

1. If the only new maps we can expect are from the modding tools, will we be able to upload maps for other people to play somehow?
  2. Instant cast items are an issue at the moment because they 'stop' your previous action.  Is there going to be a fix for this?
  3. Apart from the features that have already been confirmed to be 'on their way' are there any additional features that can be confirmed as in the works, or at the very least being talked about? Hints threw clever word use is an acceptable answer.
  4. With the Team Features on the horizon, are there any plans at either GPG or SD to push the advertising or promotion of Demigod further?
  5. Stardock/GPG, will you be giving the existing demigods new funny replies? At the moment only TB and Erebus made me seriously chuckle. And of course oak with : This armor itches (LOL!!!)
  6. Is SD/GPG willing to "officalize" and distribute community made maps, mods, items, demigods, and the like if they gain popularity?
  7. Say a mod that removed the catigorization gains more popularity than the vanilla game, would SD/GPG reconsider the catigorization then?
  8. when will first official tournaments start, and how are they designed?
  9. are there still any plans the make the game "server-client"... to make DG more playable for guys with small upload and less infected with lag problems ?
  10. Why is AI added to pantheon and skirmish in the beginning of a game if Demigod is supposed to be a competitive game?
  11. Is there any chance of being able to disable the camera angle resetting on death or being able to remap the camera function keys in the future?
  12. Is the rollover data error on flags under fog of war bug being looked at?
  13. Also is it just me or when playing a general do the select all minions, demigod and demigod and minions buttons not always respond on the first click?
  14. Is it possible to have a dynamic minion spawn rate that lowers the rate at which minions spawn from portals when the game is lagging?
  15. Are Sedna's minions going to get tweaked---> lowers mana cost and increasing their hp?
  16. Will Rook's Structural transfer get a look over because currently it is almost useless?
  17. Regulus's level 15 skills seem to be lacking. Any chance of updating these skills?
  18. Are random teams going to be supported? 
  19. Would they (GPG or SD) be able to edit existing maps that are rarely played, such as Brothers and Mandala, into smaller, 3v3 Cataract sized versions?
  20. Are there ever going to be passive agressive enemies in new maps?
  21. Is SD / GPG aware of the shambler attack bug and its fix? https://forums.demigodthegame.com/358902
  22. Can we get the evasion cap (30%) removed or increased so we can try evasion builds such as HorseRadishes Can't touch Erebus build in the Strategy section?
  23. Is there a chance that the General/Assassin categorization will be removed as more hybrid demigods are introduced?
  24. Is it possible to update the language file for german users via impulse with the one located here?  http://nokthra.impulsedriven.net/article/347922/A_new_german_translation_for_Demigod_hits_the_ground

+161 Karma | 50 Replies
October 13, 2009 9:18:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,
Why do we have to enter our password over and over again after crashes now (eg why did you make it more inconvenient to recover after a crash)?  Can this new feature be disabled so we aren't prompted over and over to re-enter our passwords while we wait to log in again?

This bug has existed since day 1.

October 13, 2009 9:37:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

hmm, i dont have to enter my password after a crash. never had to.

when do we get teamed matches and automatches? when do we get a performant and stable network code?

improve qot and tb before add new demigods.

REMOVE the MANY bugs especially generals suffer from:

- pathfinding

- dg getting stuck

- generals atack everything but not what you right clicked on

- generals stop following your target to atack a tower, a creep or a grasshopper on their way when chasing

- performing a special attack/spell stops autoattack on previous target. instead it atttacks random and stops chaising.

well, after that you may add modding and other nice to have stuff.

edit: this things are all since release (if not since beta), all 100 times already told, are all easy to resolve (at least most of them) and we still suffer from them.

October 13, 2009 9:46:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If v1.2 doesn't contain the new demigods, what is left to do on it, and when can we expect a reasonable eta for 1.2?

Any clues on the eta for the new demis?

Any chance of stardock hosted tournament servers? and could this infrastructure be expanded so that stardock host most/all games server side?

October 13, 2009 10:20:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CelMare,

- generals stop following to atack a tower, a creep or a grasshopper on their way when chasing

LoL

October 13, 2009 8:22:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,

Quoting pacov,
reply 25
Why do we have to enter our password over and over again after crashes now (eg why did you make it more inconvenient to recover after a crash)?  Can this new feature be disabled so we aren't prompted over and over to re-enter our passwords while we wait to log in again?

This bug has existed since day 1.

I don't think we are talking about the same thing.  From the Demigod v1.19 (1.19.130 on Impulse) change notes:  Login screen now sets password field to blank after logging in.

If I DG crashes while I am in a lobby, I will open have to login again.  If i get the invalid username/password because DG still thinks I get disconnected, it now blanks out my password.  So, every time I try again to login, I have to re-enter my password... only to get invalid username pass until it logs me out. 

October 13, 2009 11:49:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Password blanking was added as a neccessary security measure in anticipation of modding being added in 1.2.

October 14, 2009 5:56:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why make the game even more frustrating by replacing the already annoying DeSync window with the even more annoying Invalid Gamestate Error?

This ruins the game for most people and they stop playing Demigod and move on to something else.

What is the use of the game exiting itself? Players can concede or just leave the game if they want.

What is the purpose of Invalid Gamestate Error?

October 14, 2009 6:07:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

morph, the purpose is to inform the players of: "sorry, we are not in the mood to fix the desync by resyncinc ni seconds because we are to occupied implementing modding support. hence wait another year. maybe we fix it then."

October 14, 2009 6:50:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CelMare,
morph, the purpose is to inform the players of: "sorry, we are not in the mood to fix the desync by resyncinc ni seconds because we are to occupied implementing modding support. hence wait another year. maybe we fix it then."

Ergo, SD doesnt give a crap about honest dedicated Demigod players!

Thanks Stardock/GPG!

October 14, 2009 5:54:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Password blanking was added as a neccessary security measure in anticipation of modding being added in 1.2

Thanks for the answer, Sorian!

October 14, 2009 6:01:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

list updated

October 15, 2009 1:46:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Were rooks shoulder upgrades (arrows, tower and trebuchet) ever intended to work with the poisoned dagger favor item (5% faster attacks, 20% chance to slow opponent). They don't at the moment

October 15, 2009 3:57:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting fTdOmen,
Were rooks shoulder upgrades (arrows, tower and trebuchet) ever intended to work with the poisoned dagger favor item (5% faster attacks, 20% chance to slow opponent). They don't at the moment

This would be sweet! along with any other attack speed increase items.

October 15, 2009 6:11:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting fTdOmen,

Only if Armor of Vengence gets to.

You can snare me to -20. I'll just hit you for about 35 * 12 dps while you look at me and I do nothing.

October 15, 2009 8:15:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting abuggeredhedgie,

Quoting fTdOmen,
reply 37

Only if Armor of Vengence gets to.

You can snare me to -20. I'll just hit you for about 35 * 12 dps while you look at me and I do nothing.

LOL

October 16, 2009 4:55:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hmm... good point, hedgie.  Do you guys think ftdOmen's question should be asked or did we just answer it ourselves?

October 16, 2009 7:03:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

we just answer it he he.

I think rook's arrows should work with the dagger

What do u guys think?

October 23, 2009 5:40:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If frogboys doing the same thing he's been doing the past few months, we'll see a reply to this thread soon in the form of a dev journal.  Anyone have any last minute questions?

October 23, 2009 7:47:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A few players (me included) can't join the Ready2Play beta anymore, is does not show up in Impulse. Is that intentional?

October 23, 2009 7:55:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you create a new account but never play online do you still sit there with 1,000 experience?  A problem with the ladder seems to be that theres a vast number of people around the 1000xp mark who are inactive - often with only 1 or 2 games played.  This seems to create a massive rift between people above 1000xp (who seem to be ranked top1000 or so) and people who fall below 1000xp, who are dropped down to rank 35,000 or so.  Is there any chance that inactive accounts, or perhaps people with less than x games played, could be left out of the ranking?  It would make it much easier to tell just how much better/worse someone is than you, rather than having to deal with this 35,000-large blob of dark matter.

October 25, 2009 2:29:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

bump

October 25, 2009 4:38:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

can we expect QoT to be changed at all?

October 26, 2009 2:50:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

listed updated

October 29, 2009 5:15:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

updated

October 30, 2009 1:44:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

NO FURTHER QUESTIONS PLEASE.  WE WAIT FOR NOV!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.