The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Citadel Upgrades Questions

By on September 26, 2009 9:18:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've been looking around here for a while now but havn't found everything I needed to know about the citadel upgrades.

1) Why get angels and cats at the same time and not just angels when they're available?

2) Wich are the upgrades you want to get, when do you want to get them? I've been on teams that want Fortified Structures and Currency 2 asap, I've been on teams that just plain ignore the citadel, ...

3) I've just read a post wich mentioned you should get the experience upgrade as one of the first things, but I've never seen anyone do this. So should I get it or not?

I know it all depends on who you're playing and how you're playing, that's basically what I'm asking, in wich situtations do you want to do something and in wich situations you don't?

+3 Karma | 14 Replies
September 26, 2009 9:28:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1.)  Because some people think if you get the extra creeps one at a time, you are giving your opponent extra experience.  So some people like to wait till war rank 8 and buy all the way up to catapults.  Its dependant on the game I suppose.

2.)  You'll always find teammates who ignore citadel upgrades entirely.  They would rather focus on buying armor for themselves.   Usually they play regulus, and have losing records.  For upgrades you want to get (as a general rule), I would lean toward FS1 and Currency 1, and obviously the creeps waves as war rank increases.

3.)  I dont care for the experience upgrade.  Its 10% I think, which means when they are level 10, you'll be level 11.  Wow...Personally, I think there are better ways to spend your money.

September 26, 2009 12:13:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ALWAYS buy currency I as soon as you hit war score 3, then buy items until you get kills, then spend the money from kills on giants at war score 10.

ignore death penalty, tower damage and experience upgrades, and currency II + III in 3v3 conquest situations, or you will not be able to spend enough gold on items to remain a threat to the enemy team.

as you bought currency I for the team, it is best to make sure one of the slackers on your team buys the +building regen one

there are situational uses for most upgrades, but it is best to learn them through experience (e.g. tower dmg I is useful to fend off early priests if the enemy team gets them)

September 26, 2009 2:35:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Because some people think if you get the extra creeps one at a time, you are giving your opponent extra experience.  So some people like to wait till war rank 8 and buy all the way up to catapults.  Its dependant on the game I suppose.

Honestly, you should only get priests early only if you are stomping the other team. A standard creep wave (5 minotaurs + 2 archers) gives 231 XP. Adding in priests brings the XP per creep wave to 291. This is a 26% gain in experience. It's like buying the second XP citadel upgrade for the other team. I've seen experience players do this, but it doesn't make any sense to me.

You'll always find teammates who ignore citadel upgrades entirely.  They would rather focus on buying armor for themselves.   Usually they play regulus, and have losing records.  For upgrades you want to get (as a general rule), I would lean toward FS1 and Currency 1, and obviously the creeps waves as war rank increases.

There can be good reasons and bad reasons for this. Some DGs require a lot of gold to be effective. Others, like UB, only need 6k worth in gear. DGs that don't require expensive gear need to buy more citadel upgrades than those that do.

I've just read a post wich mentioned you should get the experience upgrade as one of the first things, but I've never seen anyone do this. So should I get it or not?

Always get XP 1 & 2. By level 10, your entire team will be a full level ahead of the other team, and you will be able to push your opponents off flags much more easily. Beware, however, that you'll be a little bit squishy early on. However, this is acceptable since your towers can provide decent protection at low levels.

I dont care for the experience upgrade.  Its 10% I think, which means when they are level 10, you'll be level 11.  Wow...Personally, I think there are better ways to spend your money.

Actually, the upgrade gives an additional 10% experience instead of a 10% level bonus. A 10% experience bonus doesn't translate into one more level at level 10. Buying XP 1 will mean that you will reach each level before the other team, but you will never be a full level ahead. In order to be a full level ahead, you need to buy XP 2. It's worth it because it provides your entire team with a level advantage. Anytime you get a kill, you should invest it in the XP upgrade. It permanently sets back the other team. If the other team buys priests early on, you will be earning 46% more XP than them if you buy XP 1 & 2.

September 26, 2009 3:51:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've been playing games recently where XPI or XP2 is bought and I was surprised that it does make a significance difference in levelling.

September 26, 2009 5:56:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

They changed the priest experience and gold values in 1.12. The correct values are:

Unit Exp. value Bounty value
Soldier 33 4
Archer 33 8
Priest 20 15
Angel 20 25
Catapultasaurus 50 66
Giant 50 100
Tower 0 300
Fortress 0 300
September 28, 2009 5:48:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow Catapults are actually a huge gold bonus to the opposing team if they clamp down fast on them. Of course I dont think people would complain about their allies buying cata upgrades >>

I think the citadel upgrades need a slight gold reduction though

The whole team mates ignoring the citadel annoys me

September 28, 2009 6:46:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think the citadel upgrades need a slight gold reduction though

I don't think so. What you get for the money you invest in citadel really worths it. Team mates who ignores citadel just don't know how to play and forgot DG is all about teamplay.

September 28, 2009 9:34:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just played a game with some guy who called me a noob for asking him to buy Currency I on 3v3 Cataract.
He also abandoned me 2 times while we were up 2v1 ...

September 28, 2009 1:16:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Yeodan,
Just played a game with some guy who called me a noob for asking him to buy Currency I on 3v3 Cataract.
He also abandoned me 2 times while we were up 2v1 ...

Oww not nice

Quoting DeathWeaVer666,

I don't think so. What you get for the money you invest in citadel really worths it. Team mates who ignores citadel just don't know how to play and forgot DG is all about teamplay.

Yeh but later on the upgrades just really arent worth it. I mean most of the towers have been destroyed by the time you can afford them

September 29, 2009 4:16:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeh but later on the upgrades just really arent worth it. I mean most of the towers have been destroyed by the time you can afford them

I'm speaking about valuable upgrades of course. Currency 1, Repair 1, XP 1 and creeps mainly.

September 29, 2009 12:14:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Epiphenomenon,

Because some people think if you get the extra creeps one at a time, you are giving your opponent extra experience.  So some people like to wait till war rank 8 and buy all the way up to catapults.  Its dependant on the game I suppose.
Honestly, you should only get priests early only if you are stomping the other team. A standard creep wave (5 minotaurs + 2 archers) gives 231 XP. Adding in priests brings the XP per creep wave to 291. This is a 26% gain in experience. It's like buying the second XP citadel upgrade for the other team. I've seen experience players do this, but it doesn't make any sense to me.

get priests if you only have one general. priests heal you for quite a bit and they add a fair amount of damage for creeps, yes they offer a little more xp but if you have priests its like having 500-700 extra health. you can also stay out longer with priests, meaning YOU"ll get more xp.

also ub needs more money into gear then that. if at any time your playing ub and someone on the other team has more health then you, your doing it wrong. that being said if you play ub well you'll have enough money to get pri/cur at WR 3 and some of the higher lvl upgrades later on

September 29, 2009 3:40:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Always get XP 1 & 2. By level 10, your entire team will be a full level ahead of the other team, and you will be able to push your opponents off flags much more easily. Beware, however, that you'll be a little bit squishy early on. However, this is acceptable since your towers can provide decent protection at low levels.

I dont care for the experience upgrade. Its 10% I think, which means when they are level 10, you'll be level 11. Wow...Personally, I think there are better ways to spend your money.

Actually, the upgrade gives an additional 10% experience instead of a 10% level bonus. A 10% experience bonus doesn't translate into one more level at level 10. Buying XP 1 will mean that you will reach each level before the other team, but you will never be a full level ahead. In order to be a full level ahead, you need to buy XP 2. It's worth it because it provides your entire team with a level advantage. Anytime you get a kill, you should invest it in the XP upgrade. It permanently sets back the other team. If the other team buys priests early on, you will be earning 46% more XP than them if you buy XP 1 & 2.

So by your argument, assuming all other factors are equal (flag capping, killing creeps), for you to get to level 11 when I reach level 10 you have to buy TWO upgrades in xp?  And thats a good thing how?  That makes xp upgrades seem even more worthless to me.  Levels are not THAT important.  I'll gladly sacrifice a 1 level differential to my opponents to be in a better position money-wise to purchase creep upgrades, cap locks, armor, whatever at the end game because you spent not one purchase, but two on xp bonuses.

September 29, 2009 5:17:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

get priests if you only have one general. priests heal you for quite a bit and they add a fair amount of damage for creeps, yes they offer a little more xp but if you have priests its like having 500-700 extra health. you can also stay out longer with priests, meaning YOU"ll get more xp.

Twenty six percent more experience is a lot more experience, not a little more experience. The appropriate counter is to buy the XP 2 upgrade at the citadel. Your opponents will outlevel you very quickly when they starts earning 46% more experience. They will be able to push you off of flags, and then they will be able to stay out in the field longer, even if you have priests. It's a losing situation. I've seen it happen enough times to know that it's a bad idea.

also ub needs more money into gear then that. if at any time your playing ub and someone on the other team has more health then you, your doing it wrong. that being said if you play ub well you'll have enough money to get pri/cur at WR 3 and some of the higher lvl upgrades later on

I only need 5.7k worth in gear. Scalemail, Banded Armor, Unbreakable Boots, Nimoth's Chest Armor, and Hauberk of Life are sufficient. Since I don't need mana items, I can fit all of the highly cost-effective HP and armor items in my inventory. My endgame items are Namoth's ring and Orb of Defiance. UB doesn't need a lot of gear to be effective. He should buy a lot of the early-game upgrades.

September 29, 2009 5:19:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Level       XP Req     XP to next    XP to next level with 10% advantage XP to next level with 30% advantage (row 8+ is to 2 levels ahead, row 15+ is to 3 levels ahead)

DefaultHeroExp = {

1 0 200 -200 -200
        {Amount = 0       },#1 2 200 300 -280 -240
        {Amount = 200     },#2 3 500 400 -350 -250
        {Amount = 500     },#3 4 900 500 -410 -230
        {Amount = 900     },#4 5 1400 750 -610 -330
        {Amount = 1400    },#5 6 2150 875 -660 -230
        {Amount = 2150    },#6 7 3025 1000 -697.5 -92.5
        {Amount = 3025    },#7 8 4025 1125 -722.5 -1167.5
        {Amount = 4025    },#8 9 5150 1250 -735 -1060
        {Amount = 5150    },#9 10 6400 1355 -715 -955
        {Amount = 6400    },#10 11 7755 1520 -744.5 -818.5
        {Amount = 7775    },#11 12 9275 1625 -697.5 -592.5
        {Amount = 9275    },#12 13 10900 1750 -660 -355
        {Amount = 10900   },#13 14 12650 1875 -610 -80
        {Amount = 12650   },#14 15 14525 2000 -547.5 -2017.5
        {Amount = 14525   },#15 16 16525 2125 -472.5 -1792.5
        {Amount = 16525   },#16 17 18650 2250 -385 -1530
        {Amount = 18650   },#17 18 20900 2375 -285
        {Amount = 20900   },#18 19 23275 2500 -172.5
        {Amount = 23275   },#19 20 25775

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.