Epoch 2: Stat overhaul in the works

By on September 17, 2009 12:00:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1484

Starting with v1.19 of Demigod there won't be a "skirmish" option anymore.  Few people used it. Fewer people liked it. And it had the effect of splitting the MP community.

The focus going forward is going to be on Pantheon and Custom games.

In Epoch 2, custom games weren't really counted for anything since the stat system was still premised on only skirmish and pantheon games.  We are in the process of changing this for the remainder of Epoch 2.  It probably won't be retroactively applied though (except for me - so don't worry about me, I'll be taken care of, I'll just be boarding my plane to planet win but I'll come back for the rest of you...).

The remainder of Epoch 2 on Stardock's end will be to make custom games better.  With the Elemental beta going out, I've asked some of our key developers to take a look at what we can do for Demigod's overlay so that people in custom games can get user data within custom games.

My inclination on what data I would like to see include:

• Games Played (% win)
  • Teammate Familiarity (% played together last 25 games with any player on their side)
  • Player notes. 
On player notes, the idea is to be able to see any notes you've put about that player.  For example, let's say you had a horrible game because someone on your team was griefing or had a really bad connection or what have you.  You would go to the pantheon page, click on that player, and enter notes there.  Then, inside of Demigod, on the connectivity dialog, you could see any notes you've made on that player so that you don't have to remember every player you've played against.
So those are the 3 things Stardock will be working on during the next week (when they'll get into the game depends on QA -- we've had various builds of v1.2 in internal beta for 3 weeks for instance). 

But the point is that we will no longer distinguish the type of game when it comes time to putting data into your Pantheon account.  We'll still have rankings on a per game mode (Pantheon and Custom) but Custom games will be part of your overall account info.

As you will be able to tell, other than the experience rating is still messed up, it's much more complete now than the typical custom game player.  

Locked Post 49 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 17, 2009 4:13:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
BTW, I'm pushing to get the changes I mentioend to the overlay in for the end of next week ideally. So this isn't some long off addition.

Sounds great!!!

September 17, 2009 4:28:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Two other additions today:

First, we will display the % of games that a player completes. Users can be the judge of what an acceptable completion % should be. But we track the games a player starts and the number of games a player finishes.  If someone is causing desyncs or other nonsense, well, it'll get pretty obvious pretty quickly.

The other change is that we are going to start displaying, as part of a user's pantheon account, all games that they start, not just the games they finish.

September 17, 2009 5:22:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
BTW, I'm pushing to get the changes I mentioend to the overlay in for the end of next week ideally. So this isn't some long off addition.

This is great news.  Thanks Frogboy!

September 17, 2009 7:15:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
They work now (as of right now).  Retroactively as far as I know I'm the only one who got it fixed.  So don't worry about me, I'm taken care of.  
Not good enough, I demand assurance from both SD and GPG that all of Frogboy's achievements are retroactively instated.

September 17, 2009 8:03:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ,

Games Played (% win)
Teammate Familiarity (% played together last 25 games with any player on their side)
Player notes. 

Insert death knell for premades.  So do I find a different game to play with my brother, or is there any type of support for premades forthcoming?  I think it's a great addition, but the effect will be to push most premades out of the system.  I am going to get kicked from lots of games if I try to join with my brother.  We try to find other premades, but it is a long process. 

By the way, if you want to be really helpful, you'd reflect the Teammate Familiarity of the host in the title of the game.  That would save us all a lot of time.

September 17, 2009 9:02:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CosMoe,
Just thought that with replays and a tool like Fraps we could make beautiful ingame movies (with slow-motion action) of interesting matches.

Uploading these to youtube (or getting them on game magazine DVDs) could attract quite a few people who do not own Demigod yet.

We're on the same page, CosMoe. Once the replays are out, I'll be putting out a request for all replays that people believe are 'worthy' and creating a community Highlights reel, obviously with a more inventive name. It'll server the purpose of advertising Demigod and also be something the community can be proud of. I also intend of doing some other video projects, as well as a comic strip, but that'll depend on the reactions to the community video.

September 17, 2009 9:19:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

September 17, 2009 9:20:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,

Quoting CosMoe, reply 16Just thought that with replays and a tool like Fraps we could make beautiful ingame movies (with slow-motion action) of interesting matches.

Uploading these to youtube (or getting them on game magazine DVDs) could attract quite a few people who do not own Demigod yet.

We're on the same page, CosMoe. Once the replays are out, I'll be putting out a request for all replays that people believe are 'worthy' and creating a community Highlights reel, obviously with a more inventive name. It'll server the purpose of advertising Demigod and also be something the community can be proud of. I also intend of doing some other video projects, as well as a comic strip, but that'll depend on the reactions to the community video.

Talk to me about that. GR will hopefully have a ton of replays being uploaded, and I plan to watch a ton ton ton of them.

September 17, 2009 9:41:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Insert death knell for premades.  So do I find a different game to play with my brother, or is there any type of support for premades forthcoming?  I think it's a great addition, but the effect will be to push most premades out of the system.  I am going to get kicked from lots of games if I try to join with my brother.  We try to find other premades, but it is a long process. 

By the way, if you want to be really helpful, you'd reflect the Teammate Familiarity of the host in the title of the game.  That would save us all a lot of time.

People could just say "team game" to get a team game going with another team.

But yea, it will definitely be harder for premades vs. random group now.  I don't find that a bad thing.

September 17, 2009 10:39:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

PuG Stomps R.I.P.

September 17, 2009 11:20:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree it's very hard to get premades together, but it may get much easier when other premades aren't preoccupied with pub stomps.

September 18, 2009 1:19:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Starting with v1.19 of Demigod there won't be a "skirmish" option anymore.  Few people used it. Fewer people liked it. And it had the effect of splitting the MP community.

I primarily play custom games, so it doesn't sound like I'll be all that impacted by this.  BUT - are you going to change the way pantheon works then or the frequency of tournaments so there is little to no downtime?  I get the logic in removing a rarely used feature, but I'm betting that people who play pantheon play skirmish when a pantheon isn't on. 

September 18, 2009 2:22:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Pacovs got a good point, perhaps when there arent light vs dark pantheon matches going on the pantheon works more like skirmish and we can have mixed teams? Just a thought.

September 18, 2009 9:07:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Pod808,
Pacovs got a good point, perhaps when there arent light vs dark pantheon matches going on the pantheon works more like skirmish and we can have mixed teams? Just a thought.

Play custom games then. Stardock knows what its doing with this one. With the overlay enhances detecting premade stomps will be easy for solo players.

September 18, 2009 9:32:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You're taking my ability to do a Single Player game away?

Lol

September 18, 2009 12:16:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

But yea, it will definitely be harder for premades vs. random group now.  I don't find that a bad thing.

We'll see.  If this causes the other premades out there to start playing agianst us instead of another pugs, that will help.  If it causes all premades to simply sit in an empty lobby for 30 minutes, that will be a bad thing.  I and my team are always willing to play another team.  We join other premade rooms when we can find them, and welcome teams into our room. The problem is that there aren't very many premades on when we play (the EU folks don't seem to be online at those times).  There are times now when we sit in an empty lobby for 20+ minutes simply because we're good players.

-- Tukulis

September 18, 2009 1:03:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Tukulis,

Quoting Frogboy,
reply 34

We'll see.  If this causes the other premades out there to start playing agianst us instead of another pugs, that will help.  If it causes all premades to simply sit in an empty lobby for 30 minutes, that will be a bad thing.  I and my team are always willing to play another team.  We join other premade rooms when we can find them, and welcome teams into our room. The problem is that there aren't very many premades on when we play (the EU folks don't seem to be online at those times).  There are times now when we sit in an empty lobby for 20+ minutes simply because we're good players.

-- Tukulis

If your sick of waiting in a lobby for 20 minutes split your team of 4 into 2 teams of 2. Watch what happens! its magic! a game appears! you will still be playing with each other but against each other for a MORE competitive experience!

Don't get me wrong I love to play in premades vs other premades I just find the lack of a willingness to split up amongst yourselves when your in a premade to be rediculous. Premades claim to want to play high level games.... Than split up when the time arises! make the game interesting!

September 18, 2009 2:07:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Off topic, but there's not metion of fixing this serious bug in the 1.19 patch notes.

Please somebody take notice! The solution is right there in the replies!

September 18, 2009 2:42:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Cosmoe: Every person has their own view of what a "serious bug" is.  I've reported it. please don't go from thread to thread spamming your personal pet peeve issue okay?

September 18, 2009 3:47:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Obscenitor,
I agree it's very hard to get premades together, but it may get much easier when other premades aren't preoccupied with pub stomps.

I would not say that premades are preoccupied with pub stomps.  Most premades I know host games and then just play whoever shows up - which happens to be pugs.  This is a side effect of the fact that it is very difficult to get a premade v. premade game going.  There are several features that could make premade v. premade games easier.  For example, permitting one person to join the entire team to a lobby, invites to the lobby from the lobby interface, being able to flip between a pw game and a non-pw game from the lobby, and then the holy grail - matchmaking.

Logically I know that win rate and team % is needed.  My guess, however, is that premades are basically done after this unless you want to spend long times in the lobby waiting for a game.  Basically, this is how I see it.  If you are a premade, even if you are only 2 of the 5 people on your team, you will get kicked (assuming you have a decent win rate).  That leaves only premade games.  Now if you are a 2 man premade with a 60% win rate, do you want to play a premade game with a random against a 3 man premade with an 80% win rate?  Chances are no.  Any premade with an 80%+ win rate should not even bother to log on.

September 18, 2009 5:05:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Cowbuttzex,

If your sick of waiting in a lobby for 20 minutes split your team of 4 into 2 teams of 2. Watch what happens! its magic! a game appears! you will still be playing with each other but against each other for a MORE competitive experience!

Don't get me wrong I love to play in premades vs other premades I just find the lack of a willingness to split up amongst yourselves when your in a premade to be rediculous. Premades claim to want to play high level games.... Than split up when the time arises! make the game interesting!

A: I'm not interested in playing against my friends.  I enjoy playing WITH my friends.  In a co-operative manner.

B: Team dynamics are more important than individual play.  I want to get better as a team, not as an individual.

C: There are 3 of us.  .... So if we split up, one person gets screwed.  I'm not willing to screw over my friends.

-- Tukulis

September 18, 2009 8:18:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Tukulis,

Quoting Cowbuttzex,
reply 42

A: I'm not interested in playing against my friends.  I enjoy playing WITH my friends.  In a co-operative manner.

B: Team dynamics are more important than individual play.  I want to get better as a team, not as an individual.

C: There are 3 of us.  .... So if we split up, one person gets screwed.  I'm not willing to screw over my friends.

-- Tukulis

Than sit and pick your nose for 20 minutes, being stubborn isn't a good personality trait.

September 18, 2009 8:19:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

DOUBLE SMITE POST

September 18, 2009 9:56:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Tukulis,

Quoting Cowbuttzex, reply 42

-- Tukulis

This is perfectly fine.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.