The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Locked Post

Ready to Play Beta about to start

By on September 8, 2009 1:17:34 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Last week at PAX I demonstrated a new free program coming from Stardock called Ready to Play.

During my demo I start with “I am sure I’m the only person who has ever encountered a mean person on the Internet…”

Of course, most people have run into people on-line who are obnoxious or griefers and such.  Ready to Play is designed to alleviate that issue by letting people create gaming profiles of themselves.

Here’s how it works:

Users enter in data like how old they are, how competitive they are, what they value in gaming the most, and a bunch of other data.  Then, it will take that data and generate a list of “recommended” friends, these are people who have similar gaming profiles.

For example, I, as a father of 3, 38 years old with a very scarce amount of free time have very different priorities when it comes to playing online than a 15 year old.  Nothing wrong with 15 year old gamers at all. But if I want to get a quick game of say Demigod or L4D or Rise of Legends in, then my best case of getting a fun game going is to find people to play with who have similar gaming expectations in mind.

Once you’ve set up your profile you see a screen like this:

rtp2

Read to Play also supports traditional “Friends” lists and indeed you can use your existing Impulse Friends with this seamlessly (Demigod’s built in Friends handling is going to be updated to make use of Ready to Play for v1.2).  But in addition, you will also have the Recommended Friends too.  Now, you can always block those people if you run into someone who you don’t like.

rtp1  

But when you’re ready to play, you pick the game you want to play from the list then pick who you want to broadcast to (by default, it’ll be everyone who has the game that is on your list).

12_r2p_alert

Users who have Ready to Play running and are opted in to be broadcast to will get a small dialog in the bottom corner that looks like this. If they choose join they go here.

11_r2p_groupChat

This pre-game chat window lets players set up what map they want to play, what password they want to use to get into the game, etc.

The results have been particularly spectacular internally when played with games whose persistent online communities have diminished over time.

Ready to Play supports any PC game. It will automatically pick up games on Impulse and soon from Games Explorer, Steam, and elsewhere.

If you want to sign up for the beta go to www.stardock.com/products/readytoplay

+912 Karma | 31 Replies
September 9, 2009 4:00:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dear god, you must be joking? Stardock, this product has access to incredibly secure information - this immense oversight cannot be forgiven. I'm on the phone to my Lawyer. Prepare thyselves.

September 9, 2009 5:15:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yay for R2P.

September 9, 2009 6:15:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
yay for Stackes mamma
September 9, 2009 6:28:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, gonna have to agree with Ryan there...

September 9, 2009 7:16:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yay for Stackes mamma

YEA GO MY MUM.

September 9, 2009 10:36:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Really nice tool... for other games. Demigod doesn't have the players to select players you want.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.