The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Locked Post

Demigod builds

By on September 6, 2009 3:05:20 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Greetings!  I’m currently at PAX, getting ready to head back.  New builds have been coming in from GPG. 

Right now, they’re trying to get the replays nailed down.  I also asked about a number of player requests such as Torcher Bearer casting when running (the answer on that is that he’s not intended to be able to do that be design – some people will obviously disagree but there’s the answer).

Some exploits have been addressed that I won’t get into here.  I won’t give an ETA since the build is in internal beta and it’s hard to guestimate how long it will take to eliminate bugs and such in order to make is public.

The mod handling is also pretty advanced in this build but there are some security features that have to be in to help avoid some malicious mods that we’re looking to put in before that goes out.

The two new Demigods look pretty good. The visual quality is absurdly good.  The demon assassin is definitely something that I think will be very useful in a team based game.  I’ll try to get some screenshots up shortly.

It was great being at PAX and meeting many of you. It’s nice to hear a lot of positive feedback on the game since sometimes, reading the forums, you tend to get a…specific demographic of players that aren’t necessarily representative of the wider Demigod player base.

More to come shortly.

+897 Karma | 68 Replies
September 7, 2009 11:16:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, seeing as it's appears that this design is being changed to represent the changes requested by the community I think GPG understand that point and are correcting it. Just an observation.

September 7, 2009 11:29:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

you know we waiting for fixing general auto atack bug for 4 months you know in september League of Legend come out and Heroes of Newerth almost done so if game dont have changes what we want to see i think people will go to other games,and i will understand them because they like me paid for game not for beta version.

September 8, 2009 12:21:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Wickedrusher,
you know we waiting for fixing general auto atack bug for 4 months you know in september League of Legend come out and Heroes of Newerth almost done so if game dont have changes what we want to see i think people will go to other games,and i will understand them because they like me paid for game not for beta version.

Please leave for LoL or whatever DOTA spin off suits you.  You cry babies have been a constant drain on this forum and the community as a whole.  Jesus, I'm amazed how big a deal people can make over something as minor as the fire tb problem.  I'm for changing it, but god damn its not worth the drama!

September 8, 2009 12:29:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Off topic - I tried both HoN and LoL and find I enjoy Demigod considerably more.  Others feel differently. 

On topic - great news about the mod handling.  I'm sure were all looking forward to getting more details.  Here's me hoping the build you have now is good to go because I am really looking forward to the new Dgs. 

September 8, 2009 12:30:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

minor as the fire tb problem. I'm for changing it, but god damn its not worth the drama!

Agreed.

September 8, 2009 1:06:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Casting and auto attacking are two different things....

September 8, 2009 1:43:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I played some 4v4 with Frogboy today and must say that I love the enthusiasm about the game, how you enjoy playing.  People get flamed on this site, but everyone gets flamed on any forum.  I am going to keep playing the game as a satisfied customer who has had some very intense and strategic experiences with this game.

Plus, we won.  Hooray.

September 8, 2009 12:43:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sorian, any comments on pathing fixes?  That is honestly my biggest annoyance with the game (aside from the lack of player base, but you can't fix that ).

September 8, 2009 1:02:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yeah next time thet you want post some troll shit read carefully ok?about demigod:i will play this game but now i see what many people just go innactive because game still have many bugs and new heroes not more nessesary then fixing old ones because we need nice working 8 heroes not 10 buged so if its take time its okay i understand GPG is now very busy on Supreme Commander 2,but people can wait for eternity,and also about then its done,then you ask blizzard when it will come out? they answer:then its done and we know what it will be very balanced game almost without bugs i see that demi is quite oposing.

September 8, 2009 2:45:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Mehoo: ETA stands for estimated time of arrival.  That means, by definition, it's an estimate.  There were 2 updates in August.  There have been internal releases throughout August but none that qualified as a release.

Nothing has changed in our release plans.

I am well aware that it is extremely difficult to estimate when software, especially something as complicated as features in a PC game will be done, but it is a net loss to put out consistently poor estimates.  People are disappointed and you look a bit foolish.

I know enough to know that it is folly to ask for even somewhat specific release dates for software this complex, and what might seem to you as hyping the game and keeping people excited comes across as a bit inept to me, honestly.

Stating consistently poor estimates harms your credibility, and you're the CEO.  Maintaining credibility is part of your job.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game and I even participated in the PAX DG tourney this past weekend, but I agree with mehoo--I'd rather your focus in engaging the community shifted to being more realistic and honest.  Making empty promises is a bit silly.

September 8, 2009 3:25:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

as minor as the fire tb problem.  I'm for changing it, but god damn its not worth the drama!
It's a massive change, actually. TB's strength would be dramatically improved.

September 8, 2009 7:38:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting sparky7891,
I am well aware that it is extremely difficult to estimate when software, especially something as complicated as features in a PC game will be done.

Difficult, but certainly doable.  In many software market segments (military, financial, telecom, etc), often there are fines written into the contracts if the software delivery falls behind schedule (and we're talking much more complexity than a game), so obviously planning is critical.

It can be done, but unfortunately for the consumer market, bug ridden initial releases with multiple follow-on patches have become the accepted norm.  I work in one of these other more demanding market segments, so have a hard time not taking others to task for shoddy work.

September 8, 2009 8:49:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Many times, however, even with all those additional fines and charges written in with a contract on those big jobs they still fall behind or mis-estimate the time and get fined. But they generally plan those fines in from the start and expect to get fined. Deadlines with software is really hard to meet because its just impossible to see everything that could come up from creating new code from scratch.

I never take any time estimate from game developers or publishers to be exact. Normally when they are announced they are the best time scenarios. This big update will probably be done within another 2 weeks or so which is very close to the estimated release time.

Why such the big fuss when they are a little over in the release time they say. I'm sure no one would be making a big deal if the patch got released 2 weeks early 100% working. Everyone would be happy the first day then hunting problems and bugs the very next.

September 9, 2009 2:50:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lol we wait for this for 4 months! you know when players find sedna bug with high priests they report it in midle of june it was fixed in august.nice? yeah its nice to wait 1.5 motnth for fixing 1 bug so maybe if they cant patch this game normaly maybe not needed to release it early? also this fall many nice games come out some of them are with multiplayer so its another reason to think about this game for developers.

September 9, 2009 6:01:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

zomg a GPG member posting on Demigod forums!!1!1!!1one

September 9, 2009 11:44:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ShakeNBake,
zomg a GPG member posting on Demigod forums!!1!1!!1one

zomg where?!?!?

September 9, 2009 11:46:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There are no plans to make further Demigod journal entries for the near future due to the negative reaction to them.

September 9, 2009 11:53:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

On other Stardock games, public betas are part of the process for major updates. However, on Demigod, when this was tried, the community complained about "splitting the MP community" so this was not done.

v1.2 has been in internal beta for the past couple of weeks.  If we had public betas, users would already be playing it.  But we don't have public betas.  Unfortunately, the Demigod community tends to vocally complain about any solution.

But if our estimates seem off, it is only because it is very difficult to judge how long a given feature will stay in quality assurance.

Suffice to say, since transparency seems to only result in ugly behavior from the vocal members of the Demigod community, I have been told that there are no plans to further update the community.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.