The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

SDK Question: How will converting .GR2 files work?

By on September 2, 2009 6:07:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

quick question to any dev's out there...

Frogboy mentioned that granny will be needed in order to create models for the game.  QUOTE:

Q: Will the SDK require Granny to create new models.

A: Yes. Ultimately, to get new Demigods in, the user will need Granny.

so while in pre-SDK mode i thought i'd do some digging.  turns out that granny cost $12500USD per Product. QUOTE

Granny 3D
Granny 3D One Product Windows, Mac, PSP, or Linux: $12500 US

so since RAD GameTools aren't going to just fork over their 12K product to every modder in this community, my question is: 

How cut down will the tools be that the SDK comes with? 
Are we looing at something like an 3Ds Max eporter?
Or having to send files to GPG in order for them to convert them?
+81 Karma | 4 Replies
September 2, 2009 9:06:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I believe Frogboy made mention that as a work around, they could do some of the work for us - as in, they'd convert them for us. I'm not sure if this is actually legal, however, we'll need to wait and see what ends up happening.

September 2, 2009 11:05:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What about Blender? It would be ideal if modders can use it since it's free. There has got to be some solution so that the community needn't be well funded to even begin modding.

September 2, 2009 11:12:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The problem isn't getting started - the problem are the formats involved; they are formats exclusive to Granny and as such Blender won't have access to them unless they're licenced, and since it's free I doubt it.

September 9, 2009 1:48:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Bump!

Any news on this?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.