The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Stardock and NVIDIA Partner to Distribute Impulse

By on September 2, 2009 11:03:58 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Stardock and NVIDIA have announced a special Impulse ‘NVIDIA Edition” which will be specially branded for NVIDIA users.  Gamers will be able to be informed of video card driver updates and install them via Stardock’s Impulse.  Users will also use Impulse to see the latest gaming news and purchase and download PC games straight from Impulse.

"The single biggest issue preventing PC gamers today from having an optimal experience is a failure to update their video card drivers," said Brad Wardell, CEO and president of Stardock. "For many users, updating video drivers has been a complicated and sometimes confusing experience. As PC game developers ourselves, we recognized those concerns and, in partnership with NVIDIA, have taken a step to make the process more accessible."

Full press release can be read here.

Download the Impulse NVIDIA Edition here - http://download.nvidia.com/downloads/nZone/impulse_setup_nvidia.exe

+430 Karma | 31 Replies
September 2, 2009 11:19:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So... same thing, but it does nVidia drivers too?

September 2, 2009 11:38:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Is the same with AMD in planning?

September 2, 2009 12:09:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Bravenue,
Is the same with AMD in planning?
I hope so.

September 2, 2009 12:26:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Very cool, I own an AMD though.

September 2, 2009 12:48:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

AMD branding has been out for a while. You can see an AMD animation in the opening vids of demigod also.

bit surprised taht you got Nvidia to brand given that AMD/ATI also has it branded

September 2, 2009 12:52:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

that'll be nifty.

any word on compatibility? i.e. if i install this will all my settings be saved?

September 2, 2009 1:45:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice.  Thanks!

September 2, 2009 2:13:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I can't notice what is different yet, aside from the logo change. It isn't informing me of the new available driver. 

The old nvidia button from the community tab is there, but that just takes me to the standard nvidia driver page that is on the nvidia website, which sends me external to my web browser.

I guess it isn't ready yet but nice to have the nvidia edition ready to go.

September 2, 2009 2:49:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can't notice what is different yet, aside from the logo change

Dito... I don't see any real difference. 

September 2, 2009 3:47:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Really cool Id! I wish I had it yesterday when I was working on My neighbors desktop, definitely would have saved Me some time. I'll have to get over there and swap the Impulse! .........and Mine too! 

September 2, 2009 3:54:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The diffenrece is its supposed to check our nVidia driver and update it automatically if necessary.

Its all mention in the press release. Did anybody read it???

September 2, 2009 7:28:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Right Wagnard, except it isn't doing it yet.

September 2, 2009 7:50:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Logo design is really bad.

September 2, 2009 8:51:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well I suppose it's a good deal for those with Nvidia cards.  It's just too bad they're a bunch of f***sticks who not only refuse to build their cards so that they'll be compatible with older games, but also don't offer any sort of support for those who have problems with them. 

[/bitter] 

September 2, 2009 9:08:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ranbir,

September 2, 2009 11:38:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ranbir,

Well you seem to know that your drivers are out of date if it didnt seem to work. So in theory it kinda work

Seriously, we dont know exactly what they check,  version number? or maybe just if driver is too old?

Oh and I hope its not doing exactly what they said on the press release :   updating automatically.  I hope it give us the option to do it.

September 3, 2009 8:34:57 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yes I  know they're out of date, I held off on downloading the one released last week. Until Impulse detects that I can only assume Impulse isn't ready for it yet. 

But atleast I have the right edition so when it is ready it'll go go go.

My assumption is it will work similar to how you update your games and software, so it will notify you in the update tab.

September 8, 2009 3:17:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
OK, from what I can tell, this is no different than the Impulse I was already running. It already had the nVidia driver link in it. I see no difference, not even a logo.
September 8, 2009 4:07:58 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Wow!

Nvidia and Stardock teaming up to make sure video drivers are up to date, and to help that very complicated process along.

Complicated? You download a file and run it, then reboot. Big whoop.

ID, just how much was spent on this 'special edition'? Wouldn't it have been better to simply make a sticky post on the best way to keep your video drivers up to date, especially if you are having a game issue??

By the way... it is not that critical to have the latest drivers. It is only necessary to have drivers that work with the game. And sometimes, the latest have bugs that may cause crashes that an older version won't.

Personally, I think it is a stupid idea and a complete waste of time and money.

September 8, 2009 6:07:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That is marketing, not more, not less. No real benefit for the user.

September 8, 2009 8:40:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I Thought they were already partnered...There has been a Nvidia driver tab under impulse community for a year.

September 8, 2009 9:08:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Not many users keep up to date or remember to check their driver status.

This new edition is, from what I understand, supposed to notify you of driver updates and then patch it through the Impulse system, as if it was patching a game.

September 8, 2009 9:16:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm happy with the current version which also checks my drivers. I waited a long time for the green to be removed from Impulse. I'm in no hurry to have nVidia put any back on it,which I am sure they will.

September 8, 2009 9:28:24 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just a note, special versions of Impulse such as NVIDIA branded ones will not overwrite an existing installation of Impulse. 

ID, just how much was spent on this 'special edition'? Wouldn't it have been better to simply make a sticky post on the best way to keep your video drivers up to date, especially if you are having a game issue??

Not everyone reads the forums.  To have the ability to check for new drivers say when updating a game is pretty handy if you ask me.

September 8, 2009 9:33:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

To have the ability to check for new drivers say when updating a game is pretty handy if you ask me.

The only snag is I'm switching to ATi...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000500   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.