The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Locked Post

An idea for post v1.2

By on August 31, 2009 1:28:43 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I’m thinking we should get rid of the “skirmish” mode.  Very few people use it and it only serves to divide the community.

Instead, Pantheon would become the focus of ranked games and help build a larger base of players for it.  But in order to do that, we have to deal with the problem of hyper-competitive people who quit games on start if they don’t get the person they want to play with.

So I was thinking that on pantheon games, once someone disconnected more than 3 times and it’s greater than 10% of the games in the first 5 minutes that those games would count as a loss for that player.  Same for custom games too.

What do you think?

+912 Karma | 65 Replies
August 31, 2009 4:47:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Im happy to be rid of Skirmish while Pantheon is On, and when it isn't the pantheon button can launch skirmish matches.

As someone else said above I would like to see Custom matches randomize teams at game start (put an option in game options OR game creation to turn this off (on by default)) so it would make the games more playable and help to cut a lot of those who are ignorant enough to leave games so early on.

As for the loss count:

-Yes when you leave a game it should count as a loss, UNLESS its one of the first three time in that Pantheon / month for custom.

-I want to see players ranked at the end of games (first etc.) and an average rank statistic. The average rank should work of a point system. First is always 1 last is always 11 (so in a 2v2 theres 1 4.3 7.6 11) and then the mean of games played. Would incorporate the first three rule, and if youve used all three your score would be 11 no matter how many quit, so you could have a game 1 3.6 5.2 11 11 11

August 31, 2009 5:54:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

how about the changing skirmish to a custom game with random settings instead of taking it out .  i mean ppl dont even use settings that arnt normal in custom game, might as well use it for skirmish since it already is randomizing the map and mode.  im sure it will have an appeal to ppl who want to test their adaptability and mastery of demigod.  I would make it so that u can also make it premade vs premade.

Taking skirmish out would probably be better in the short term though.

August 31, 2009 5:55:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Forcing anyone interested in matchmaking to play only light or dark side? That is the only thing I can see that's bad about making Pantheon the only matchmaking.

August 31, 2009 6:26:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ItchyDustbin,
Forcing anyone interested in matchmaking to play only light or dark side? That is the only thing I can see that's bad about making Pantheon the only matchmaking.

Hmm...I think that would be the only good reason against getting rid of Skirmish.

August 31, 2009 6:39:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

if you ask me, that isn't so much the problem as the jerks who go AFK the entire game. played two games tonight against some1 who went AFK just for the fun of it - very annoying - especially when we found out it was the same person the second time round with a different name. something needs to be implemented into the game itself, where if a person goes, say, 5 minutes, with no interaction with the game, they are kicked and it counts as a loss.

August 31, 2009 7:11:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

this is off topic but I really want to know the answer. Frogboy, is there actually going to be mod support? it seems this was just promised to get people excited. How can you tell people demigod will be able to be modded and then tell everyone that they will need a 12,500$ program(granny3D)  to get anything in. just wondering when this SDK will be out, considering August is over and it not out.

August 31, 2009 8:18:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great idea. This will bring more players into Pantheon

August 31, 2009 9:04:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I uninstalled demigod over a month ago.  I liked the game, I found the pantheon match making less then impressive.  I was under the impression that the system was supposed to match players based on ladder rank.  I was constantly being matched against players in the top 100, I was ranked 15000-20000.  It wasn`t fun.

I think this happened because the system was trying to get me into a match as fast as possible.  I don`t know though???

What I`m asking is, Has there been any changes or improvements made to the match making system? 

August 31, 2009 9:04:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like the idea of a much more concentrated match-making system - however, there are two issues with this. Being as this would become the only method of Match-making, and has already been mentioned, being locked into Light or Dark side is a large turn off. The second is that the match making - due to the number of people in play - always links us up with Gamers from different regions and produces very laggy games as a result. I'm forever being thrown into US Games, lagging the game out, and having to quit. My solution: I just don't use either Skirmish or Pantheon because I'm not American. This would also need to be corrected as right now, I play exclusively through Custom Games.

September 1, 2009 12:14:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As someone who only plays this game in skirmish and Pantheon, as long as there's no waiting period between Pantheon ends and beginnings I have no problem with this. I prefer Pantheon to skirmish because of the seperation of light and dark demigods.

September 1, 2009 12:22:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting NickJames,
What I`m asking is, Has there been any changes or improvements made to the match making system? 

really, the best thing to do is join custom games, and check everyones stats on the site before you ready up to make sure its a fair game. you have to make your own match

September 1, 2009 1:30:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Focusing on one will be fine, but I prefer Skrimish because no so much doubles and triples like in Pantheon. It is a little bit boring with this 3 UBs or 3 Erebus teams.

What this game realy needs to improve is a machtmaking system that makes it possible to take 2 or 3 friends and get into a queue finding an random opponent team to play a 2v2 or 3v3. I hope Ready to Play will make that possible.

Try to make variations in Pantheon Tournaments, like only random demigod one time, or like fast tourneys for only 2 days with just one map ( the winner is King of Mandala) or something else.

Please fix the Pantheon ranking system, take a look at the last Forces of Light ranked ladder:

1 MadInventor 1.332 1.785 8 4
2 KratosNZ 1.278 24.325 111 26
3 Jaden242 1.113 855 7 0
4 theoriental 1.109 995 5 0
5 echoes684 1.104 455 3 1

Guys with few games played are always on top with a few wins, that is stupid. If u want win a pantheon buy a new account and play = instant win! LAME

September 1, 2009 2:07:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Anytime you disconnect in pantheon it should count as a loss for your side and a win for the other..

September 1, 2009 2:43:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you drop skirmish can you stop locking us out of pantheon for days at a time?

I'd also love to see some team match making implemented

September 1, 2009 2:50:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Suggestion.

Drop skirmish, but keep the skirmish related all dg vs all dg potential.

How?

Let players choose a side. But also choose any demigod. So a player can pick their dark or light side feeling for a match, but play with teams composed of any kinds of demigods.

An even more crazy suggestion would be to do as sugeested above, but have novelty events every now and then. Assassins vs Generals one fortnight. Everyone vs ub and sednas another.

September 1, 2009 4:34:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

theres a skirmish option?!?!?

September 1, 2009 7:29:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Without skirmish I wouldn't play DG in between Pantheon Tournaments, ie when pantheon is not available.

September 1, 2009 7:43:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would simply merge Pantheon and Skirmish. So it might not exactly fit into the original background, but it would make a better game.

September 1, 2009 12:50:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogyboy, why not get rid of Pantheon and keep Skirmish?  I see no justification for locking people into the "Light" or "Dark" forces for an extended period of time.  Nor do I see any sense to the enforced "time-out" that Pantheon imposes.  Not to mention that I think the Dark forces have a bit of an advantage with Erebus and Unclean Beast on the same side.  Otherwise I agree that one of the modes needs to go.

As to the game loss penalty for disconnects.  I guess the thought is that people would rather have a winning record than play with their friends?  I don't know the answer to that.  I can very well see people that just say screw it, and take the loses so that they can play with friends.  A better solution would be to prohibit people with more than 10% disconnects from playing in Pantheon altogether.  Every two months, reset the disconnect stat or alternatively, you have to head back to custom to repair it.

Finally, what happened to the idea that Pantheon would pair you up with people on your friends list?  That seemed like a reasonable work around for team play until something better came along.  I would be happy if you just permitted teams of two as a start until the system could be expanded to teams of 3, 4, or 5.

September 1, 2009 1:21:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Look, the reason no one uses the "skirmish mode" is because nobody likes to play fortress on exile with only 3 other people!  What really needs to happen is for stardock to create a better skirmish system that works more like a b.net matchmaking system.  I don't understand why I can't choose what map or maps I'd like play on, choose what type of game I'd like to play, and then how many players (2v2, 3v3, etc.) I'd like to play with, and then have the matchmaking service find people with the same game interests and set up a game.  I end up going to "custom game" because it's the only way I can find a game that suits my interests.  If the skirmish mode were a little more controllable you'd find that all the people who don't want to play premades would chose that route to play their 3v3 cataract conquest.  I realize you guys built your system from the ground up, but what we've ended up with here feels like a 1990's era game hosting system.  I also know that you guys don't want to spend the time or resources ond "GUI-based" issues so this idea won't be implemented for a while, if ever.  But for now try changing the skirmish so that it only uses the conquest victory condition, change the map choices to only the most popular 3v3 maps, and set the players to 3v3.  I bet you get a lot more people using it. 

September 1, 2009 1:51:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Regarding your idea of the new stats, I would like to direct you to this post.

In short:

If you want to add those new stats, it would be great, if you could change skirmish into "Arranged Team".

Via this function the players will have the opportunity to fight in pre-made teams against each other.

Don´t know if it´s possible to develop within a few days/weeks. I think most of your resources are currently used in/for Elemental.

September 1, 2009 2:58:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

How about find out the true reason why people quit and quit this BS of blaming people and players for what you think is the reason without looking at the difficiencies of the product as a cause. Case in point, I have quit and seen many others quite when getting placed in a skirmish or pantheon match by yourself vs. 3 human, or any number of the other pointles matchups that happen.

So your argument is(based on previous threads): So the system is balanced based on skill, that one persons skill matches or outweighs the three opponets combined.

My argument is: When the setting is flag domination, I don't care how good I or anyone else is, you can't stay on top of 3 areas of the map at once and win unles the other guys dont move from their crystal. So this ends in a quit(after letting the other team know I am quitting)

That being said I have played and won a 3 vs me matchup on conquest setting, but you could tell these guys probably just installed the game for the first time, which isn't a good or encouraging experience for them when they get dominated by one guy on the first try.

September 1, 2009 4:14:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I disagree. Skirmish is much better than Pantheon, because it mixes all the players. In Pantheon you encounter doubles and tripples much more often, since it's Forces of Light vs. Forces of Darkness. I think the only reason people play Pantheon more than Skirmish is because it has more "prestige".

September 2, 2009 3:27:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky,
I disagree. Skirmish is much better than Pantheon, because it mixes all the players. In Pantheon you encounter doubles and tripples much more often, since it's Forces of Light vs. Forces of Darkness. I think the only reason people play Pantheon more than Skirmish is because it has more "prestige".

people play custom more more often than skirmish with pantheon together because it is the most flexible mode and let see some picture about enemy choices, tactics, gamestyle, allow to counter them in start effectively.. but pantheon and skirmish is just... a roulette. u know nothing about game and hope that your starting choice will be right, hope that u have competent teammates, hope that teamplay is not just word for them, hope that enemies wont be AI because its sooo boring, just hope, hope, hope and by theory of probability it SOMETIMES happen! In my humble opinion its just foolish.

September 2, 2009 5:15:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sure, but I was only comparing Pantheon with Skirmish. I don't think Stardock intends to remove matchmaking completely.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.