The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

What is Granny?

By on August 28, 2009 1:44:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

X-Raider

Join Date 08/2008
+3

I searched the web but didnt really understood what it is.

From what I hear its a program needed to make new demigods (I guess its for all moddels in all games)

but I dont get it, I saw a demigod chirmaya made and it looked very much working, what is the problem for making demigods ? and why do we have to have that of a special program? supreme commander worked without it and its the same engine.

beside I hear this program cost 12,000$, is that true? I mean what can it do for so much money ? the best and most expensive program I knew so far is 3dmax and its a realy professional (cost 3.500$) so I just dont get it.

So anybody know what is this program for ? I will realy appreciate it.

9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 28, 2009 2:39:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

On a somewhat related note....

I had wondered how much, if any, extra mileage we could get out of existing models.  For instance, could we simply scale up some of the minion models and *poof* now you have a potential model for a minotaur / wizard / archer DG?

August 28, 2009 3:33:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

http://www.radgametools.com/granny.html

On a side note, googleing granny leads to weird results, we live in strange times.

Granny 3D is a costly professional tool, Chirmaya has made an impressive job, but making a 3D model and animating it would need a LOT of work. I don't think that any community can do that.

Quoting Butterchin,
On a somewhat related note.... I had wondered how much, if any, extra mileage we could get out of existing models. For instance, could we simply scale up some of the minion models and *poof* now you have a potential model for a minotaur / wizard / archer DG?

I am pretty sure it would be the only realistic way to create a new demigod, but we would'nt be able to create a lot of them this way, there are not so many different minions.

August 28, 2009 5:47:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hmm... I wonder if it would be simple to change the color schemes on the existing 3d models... then, perhaps by rewritting lua code, different abilities could be given to a "dark" rook for instance... hopefully we'll know alot more when the sdk's come out. 

August 28, 2009 6:03:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

IT's a DDS file just download the Nvida photoshop plugin

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photoshop_dds_plugins.html to change skins

August 28, 2009 9:22:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Chirmaya is very good, but you'll notice that what he created is a static object with no animation.  Without Granny I don't think he can get much more done than that.

August 29, 2009 4:08:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What I used was 3D Studio Max 8 with Obsidian's (Neverwinter Nights 2) released exporter for Granny v6. While, Demigod only uses v7, it auto-converts the model to work. The problem is that animations will not work with that old exporter (and from my attempts, exporting maps doesn't work well at all either.) We have pretty much been crossing our fingers, hoping that GPG/Stardock will give us a Granny 3D exporter that will work correctly. I have no clue about the legalities of it, but as Obsidian released their own exporter, it seems totally possible.

August 31, 2009 4:13:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Chirmaya why do you try so hard for this game? :/ Move on mate this is a sunken ship,

August 31, 2009 4:52:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

dont be so negative, i've been working on new game modes, hopefully should be enjoyable change from the standard diet

August 31, 2009 6:02:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

[quote who="/b/" reply="7" id="2356332"]Chirmaya why do you try so hard for this game? :/ Move on mate this is a sunken ship,
[/quote]

Try it yourselves one time, often modding the game can be more fun than actually playing it Warning: often it's a major time-sink.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2014 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.